Known Issues & Problems with Haibike Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

If you just received a boxed eBike (2018 Haibike Sduro Trekking 6.0, Yamaha) and it was delivered with 0% SOC on the battery, that is pushing the button has no response at all, what would you do? The 500 Wh battery took 3.5h to charge to 100%, and the battery functions, but long term storage of Li batteries at under 30% harms them internally, that is, reduces their capacity.

Haibike Tech says that's fine. Both my other eBikes arrived with ~40% from other mfrs. So did my EV cars. Never store Li at 0% or 100% (30-50% roughly depending on chem), and most battery folk know this very well. But how would you know how long it had been at 0%? Overnight is OK, a year would be bad.

Now if I bought an eBike at a bike shop, I would not chose one with a dead battery that was sitting there with 0 miles. But when it's boxed?

Also - Always check the key for the battery lock first thing. One of my bikes was sold with the wrong key. Which makes it a pain to charge at a hotel.

hey michael,
same issues with my urban plus 2017. btw, i don't even use the COBI system. cool for a week then whatever.
now, i have a prob with the chain skipping when in top gear. it could be the derailer is worn, but it seems that it
is an electrical or motor issue. have you experienced anything like this?? it skips, or bangs, every 20 seconds or so...

I had a problem last year with the chain making a clunking sound every once in a while. what the problem was that one of the chain links were bad. The bike shop removed the bad link and now is working fine.

I have very recently purchased a Haibike Sduro Cross 6.0. Taking the recommendation, the actual size chart, from Haibike, at 5’ 10.5” tall, Haibike state the 52cm frame for a height between 5.8 and 5.10, is the frame size for me. Having been riding the bike both on road and trail. I am finding the frame too large, too high for me. My vital parts compress upon the cross bar in the standing, straddled position. On the trail, (the seat at its lowest position, the ground is very quickly away from me, having no ability to plant my foot. Though, I must admit, I need to learn to ride on the high side the trail, ensuring there ground beneath me on the right side. Still, I am convinced this bike is too high for me. Unfortunately the bike shop I bought it from has not a smaller one in my size. Any comments here from Haibike owners?

I have very recently purchased a Haibike Sduro Cross 6.0. Taking the recommendation, the actual size chart, from Haibike, at 5’ 10.5” tall, Haibike state the 52cm frame for a height between 5.8 and 5.10, is the frame size for me. Having been riding the bike both on road and trail. I am finding the frame too large, too high for me. My vital parts compress upon the cross bar in the standing, straddled position. On the trail, (the seat at its lowest position, the ground is very quickly away from me, having no ability to plant my foot. Though, I must admit, I need to learn to ride on the high side the trail, ensuring there ground beneath me on the right side. Still, I am convinced this bike is too high for me. Unfortunately the bike shop I bought it from has not a smaller one in my size. Any comments here from Haibike owners?

Haibikes are known to run large. I bought the smallest size for a 2016 Haibike Sduro Allmtn Plus and it was, fortunately, the right size. If I were you I would try to return it and ask your bike shop to order a 48cm model. Haibike makes one even though your bike shop may not have one in stock. Riding a proper-size bike is fundamental.

Haibikes are known to run large. I bought the smallest size for a 2016 Haibike Sduro Allmtn Plus and it was, fortunately, the right size. If I were you I would try to return it and ask your bike shop to order a 48cm model. Haibike makes one even though your bike shop may not have one in stock. Riding a proper-size bike is fundamental.
I will give that a whirl, (as we would say here in Scotland). Another Haibiker tells me the same matter of fact, Haibike purposely state large, but do recommend , (apparently) to drop a size. As a purchaser, you therefore rely upon your own research, and or more so, the knowledge of the bike shop you are purchasing from. Sadly, I had neither.

I am also getting use to my new Yamaha motor on my Haibike Sduro 10.0. Recently noticed when I am in a higher PAS level before starting to move forward, while pressing down on the pedal, I feel some vibrations coming from the motor. I can feel it less in a lower PAS level, however, it seems like it is being produced by the current or by pulsations from the battery. There is no vibration when the system is set to Off.
Is this normal operation for the Yamaha mid drive motor? Anyone?

Last edited:
I am also getting use to my new Yamaha motor on my Haibike Sduro 10.0. Recently noticed when I am in a higher PAS level before starting to move forward, while pressing down on the pedal, I feel some vibrations coming from the motor. I can feel it less in a lower PAS level, however, it seems like it is being produced by the current or by pulsations from the battery. There is no vibration when the system is set to Off.
Is this normal operation for the Yamaha mid drive motor? Anyone?

Bob, I do the great majority of pedaling with my Full FatSix in the High power position, so I am well aware of that pulsating feel by the motor in the stopped position when I put pressure onto the pedals without actually spinning the crank. It's like we have a little bucking bronco under our saddle; just rarin' to go!

Normal ops, nothing to worry about and nothing dire to come. I always took it as being torque sensor-related for the Yamaha drive. I kinda like it. Working on 7400 miles on my Haibike and it's one smile per mile after another.

Attachments

• 100_3836.JPG
    100_3836.JPG
    345 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Bob, I do the great majority of pedaling with my Full FatSix in the High power position, so I am well aware of that pulsating feel by the motor in the stopped position when I put pressure onto the pedals without actually spinning the crank. It's like we have a little bucking bronco under our saddle; just rarin' to go!

Normal ops, nothing to worry about and nothing dire to come. I always took it as being torque sensor-related for the Yamaha drive. I kinda like it. Working on 7400 miles on my Haibike and it's one smile per mile after another.

Mike TowpathTraveler- Very well said Mike! Those powerful little bucks in that housing are waiting to kick some a** with all that power. Had some concern about it being I never felt that on our other rear hub drive Ebikes. The EXPD mode is wicked uphill. So much power with zero cadence is feelin like I am going to go into a wheelie. Love this motor on this bike with dual suspension and a dropper. You hit 20 mph on the fly in a few short seconds on gravel. Thinking of putting a delimiter on it to get it going to 25mph.
BTW-That is a sweet ride you have with the fat 4 inchers. I have the 2.8 inch and they really grab nice. I am use to the 700c X 1.5 inch. Cannot compare at all. Thanks for the heads up. Thought I was going to need some warranty work. Have a great riding season! Get -E -Up...o_O

I've owned my Haibike MTN 5 for a little over a year. It's ridden almost exclusively off road and on some very rugged single track. The bike is a beast and just rams through any obstacles and has been generally problem-free but I do have a problem with how the motor is mounted.
After a few hundred miles of riding I noted that the motor was moving in the frame. I took the bike back to the shop where I bought it and asked that the motor mount bolts be re-torqued. It's a simple job I can do myself but I wanted a record of this issue.
Bolts re-torqued and I'm back on the trails for another few hundred miles before again feeling that the motor is loose. Again back to the shop, and this time I ask them to use blue Locktite on the three bolts. This is done and the tech offers to add shims to the motor mounts but would need to charge for that. The other work was done under warranty. I decide to wait and see if this latest repair fixes the problem.
So, for the second time the three bolts are re-torqued and blue Locktite is added to keep them torqued. But, now, I hear a creaking from the crank area when I pedal. Tightening the bolts made the creaking worse, so I loosened them to just past finger tight and the creaking has stopped but the bolts are not at their torque values.
The manager of the bike shop where I purchased my Haibike admits that they do not know the bike well, though they have tried to be helpful. I sent an email to Haibike with not much expectation of a reply.
Aside from this problem, and occasionally stumbling around as I try to dismount from that two story frame, it's a wonderful bike.

I've owned my Haibike MTN 5 for a little over a year. It's ridden almost exclusively off road and on some very rugged single track. The bike is a beast and just rams through any obstacles and has been generally problem-free but I do have a problem with how the motor is mounted.
After a few hundred miles of riding I noted that the motor was moving in the frame. I took the bike back to the shop where I bought it and asked that the motor mount bolts be re-torqued. It's a simple job I can do myself but I wanted a record of this issue.
Bolts re-torqued and I'm back on the trails for another few hundred miles before again feeling that the motor is loose. Again back to the shop, and this time I ask them to use blue Locktite on the three bolts. This is done and the tech offers to add shims to the motor mounts but would need to charge for that. The other work was done under warranty. I decide to wait and see if this latest repair fixes the problem.
So, for the second time the three bolts are re-torqued and blue Locktite is added to keep them torqued. But, now, I hear a creaking from the crank area when I pedal. Tightening the bolts made the creaking worse, so I loosened them to just past finger tight and the creaking has stopped but the bolts are not at their torque values.
The manager of the bike shop where I purchased my Haibike admits that they do not know the bike well, though they have tried to be helpful. I sent an email to Haibike with not much expectation of a reply.
Aside from this problem, and occasionally stumbling around as I try to dismount from that two story frame, it's a wonderful bike.

Thanks for the heads up! Hope you get the problem fixed permanently. Would like to know what Haibike's response is.

BTW-you are referring to the Haibike SDURO AllMtn 5.0, correct?

MR. BOB.....pull the motor mount bolts out one at a time, pack grease around the bolts and install.....if you want with threadlocker.
Re-torque.

MR. BOB.....pull the motor mount bolts out one at a time, pack grease around the bolts and install.....if you want with threadlocker.
Re-torque.
Re-torque.
That is a good idea. I'm going to go a step further and remove the motor to look things over.
I own a handyman business and fix things all day long so I can probably figure out what's going on, the challenge is finding the time. Local Haibike resources are about none. Haibike in Germany has not replied to my email of a week ago.

dinamometric wrench 20/40 nm, blue loctite and X-shaped screwdriver from end to end equally, 1,2,3,4.

do not touch in a few hours

the key
https://www.amazon.es/TACKLIFE-Dinamométrica-Calibracion-Extensión-Certificación/dp/B076D2TWF7/ref=asc_df_B076D2TWF7/?tag=googshopes-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198986982920&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=631408212233948851&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1005545&hvtargid=pla-421663062170&psc=1

moistens the screw with loctite

you approximate the screws and according to the sequence 1,2,3,4,,use the key dinanometric.

if the blue loctite was not enough use the red loctite 262/270, do not use the pedelec it in 28 hours

Attachments

• loctite.jpg
    loctite.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 743
  • modo de atornillado.png
    modo de atornillado.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 733
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Haibike as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.
I noticed there are no comments posted more recent than 2017. Be aware there has been a recent change of ownership in the entity who distributes the Haibike brand in the US. My experience is with the new entity who it appears distributes numerous brands of bikes in the US. I bought a 2018 Haibike 8.0 All Mountain X Duro last year in SLC and like the bike. This is my first e-bike and an expensive purchase at that. Didn't really think about it at the time but when buying a product with newer technology (battery and electric motor) it is critical to buy that product through a manufacturer/US distributor who has good customer service and common replacement parts readily available. When I had questions about battery functionality and availability of warranty replacement of battery still under 2 yr warranty it took 18 days for them to even respond to my emails or phone messages. I moved out of state from where I bought the bike so could not bring it back to the original seller. When contacted that shop and requested a warranty replacement battery they informed me thy did not carry any replacement batteries in stock for Hiabike so the US distributor was the only source. An e-bike is useless when the battery does not work. Living in CHICAGO I have a limited riding season. After waiting a further week between subsequent email exchanges (nobody ever answered the endless hold on the customer service phone number) I was told I could buy a replacement battery for $600.00 plus shipping and handling. They never addressed any warranty claim information. I felt it was important to share feedback about my experience about Haibike for the benefit of those who are evaluating a purchasing decision for an expensive e-bike. There are many choices of brands and models to buy, this is a cool bike but I wish I paid more attention to reviews and feedback about customer service, consumable parts availability and honoring of warranty claims. I am certain I am not the only one who has had issues with the Haibike US distributor!

I noticed there are no comments posted more recent than 2017. Be aware there has been a recent change of ownership in the entity who distributes the Haibike brand in the US. My experience is with the new entity who it appears distributes numerous brands of bikes in the US. I bought a 2018 Haibike 8.0 All Mountain X Duro last year in SLC and like the bike. This is my first e-bike and an expensive purchase at that. Didn't really think about it at the time but when buying a product with newer technology (battery and electric motor) it is critical to buy that product through a manufacturer/US distributor who has good customer service and common replacement parts readily available. When I had questions about battery functionality and availability of warranty replacement of battery still under 2 yr warranty it took 18 days for them to even respond to my emails or phone messages. I moved out of state from where I bought the bike so could not bring it back to the original seller. When contacted that shop and requested a warranty replacement battery they informed me thy did not carry any replacement batteries in stock for Hiabike so the US distributor was the only source. An e-bike is useless when the battery does not work. Living in CHICAGO I have a limited riding season. After waiting a further week between subsequent email exchanges (nobody ever answered the endless hold on the customer service phone number) I was told I could buy a replacement battery for $600.00 plus shipping and handling. They never addressed any warranty claim information. I felt it was important to share feedback about my experience about Haibike for the benefit of those who are evaluating a purchasing decision for an expensive e-bike. There are many choices of brands and models to buy, this is a cool bike but I wish I paid more attention to reviews and feedback about customer service, consumable parts availability and honoring of warranty claims. I am certain I am not the only one who has had issues with the Haibike US distributor!

Jeff, as a Haibike Full FatSix owner, this non-support you speak of bothers me to no end and helps shake my faith in the long term viability of Haibike in the US if they can't be bothered to help their customers when a warranty issue crops up. It was just yesterday I commented on a person's Surface 604 thread, where he was experiencing similar non-running issues. Service after the sale and warranty integrity is going to be a big bug-a-boo for the ebike industry; one they best wake up to soon if they wish to keep growing market share within the US bike industry.

You speak of buying the bike in "SLC". I've no idea what that means. Your issue to me right now appears to be the shop you bought your bike from. I've no experience in warranty repairs nor do I now or ever worked in a bike shop or within the industry. I just like riding my bike!

That shop is the point of contact to the US distributor, not you. Their feet should be held to the fire. It appears they just washed your hands of you and left you to your own devices. And let me say that I cannot imagine any shop giving up a battery such as the Yamaha one, go to a customer without checking the battery, first; for themselves and sending it back for a warranty replacement. From everything I've read and personally experienced with the Yamaha e-drive systems is that they are bullet proof, dead reliable. As a Haibike owner, I wish to stay in your loop about what the final outcome to your situation is going to be; whether people stand up for their product or if they choose to leave you hanging out to dry.

Your Haibike should have come along with a Haibike owners manual and a separate Yamaha ebike drive manual. Do you have them? If not, here is a link to download a very thorough Yamaha service manual for their ebike systems, including a very thorough battery section with checks you can make on your own to determine the status of your battery. This download is much more in depth then what came with my Haibike and what should have accompanied yours. Link: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/975488/Yamaha-X94-Series.html#manual

Did your bike ever function properly in the first place? Did it charge fully on the Yamaha charger? Did you ever drop it? (sorry, have to ask!). Is the speed sensor on the spokes (or is it in the rear brake rotor on your newer Haibike) in place and in line with the sensor? Good battery in the readout display? Wire runs from the display to the controller, down to the motor intact and not cut? How is the charger? Does it light up when you plug into your battery? Is the green light on when connected to the battery?

This summer, I purchased on 2 separate occassions, 2 500wh batteries to supplement my original 400wh battery. Right out of the box, they went on my charger, the charger did it's thing and bit by bit, each red light on the battery came on until she was fully charged and the bms shut the charging down. No problems or issues, 2 different vendors. This edrive system is about the most bulletproof one on the market and your issue seems to be the rare, but unfortunate one to have to go through.

Keep us advised, I want to know how this works out for you. That is a great bike you have there and I have confidence this glitch will get fixed and put in your rear view mirror!

Back