Known Issues & Problems with Haibike Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Haibike as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I don't know if one could classify this as a problem per se, but the fact that the "walk" feature on the Bosch system on my Haibike is non-functional. I believe it was due to US regulations of some sort. But to have the button there and not be able to take advantage of a very handy feature is IMHO an issue. That being said, I have heard that someone here on a 2017 Haibike had his walk feature functional, so maybe now they can do a software upgrade and give us all the feature.

Handlbar Bag. I have a Haibike XDuro Trekking bicycle and can mount rear panniers without any problem, but try finding and then mounting a handlebar bag that doesn't interfere with the bosch control unit (mounted on the center of the handlebars) or obstruct the front light. A possible solution is the Sackville Bar Tube bag from Rivendell Bicycles, but unfortunately they didn't have it in the right color with the delivery date of the desired color (Gray) unknown. The shape of the top tube makes it difficult to find a "cockpit" bag to use as a substitute for the handlebar bag. I've checked out gear from Revelate Designs (e.g., "gas tank" and "mag tank" and "jerry can") but don't think they will mount correctly given the shape of the top tube.

Lack of Water Bottle Braze-ons. To make up for the lack of bottle braze ons I purchased and mounted a Topeka Cage Mount to the handlebar and then mounted a water bottle cage to that. It isn't the best solution, but it better than lugging water on my back and sucking it through a tube.

Charging my battery. I really like my Bosch mid-drive system except for one thing - why did they design it so the PowerPack can't be charged while mounted to the bicycle? No work around for that - one has to disconnect the battery and bring it to the charger vs vice-versa.

Wheel spokes: I have two 2015 XDURO Haibikes, an FS RX and an rx29. Both had spokes come loose in the first few trail rides; the FS RX's rear wheel wobbled noticeably during its third or fourth ride and I was lucky it could be trued! The first LBS I brought it to thought it was too far gone, but second opinions can be worth a few hundred bucks, minimum...

FWIW, my 2016 SDURO AllMtn Plus has had no such issues, but didn't come with DT Swiss wheels like my XDUROS did. After the above experience, however, I bought a tension meter and now check spoke tension on all my eMTBs regularly. It has proven its worth, as have the few minutes it takes to test the spokes.

I don't know if one could classify this as a problem per se, but the fact that the "walk" feature on the Bosch system on my Haibike is non-functional. I believe it was due to US regulations of some sort. But to have the button there and not be able to take advantage of a very handy feature is IMHO an issue. That being said, I have heard that someone here on a 2017 Haibike had his walk feature functional, so maybe now they can do a software upgrade and give us all the feature.
At some point I read that Haibike had a liability issue with that feature in the US, but apparently they resolved it so 2017s have it. Glad to learn it can be enabled on older models, too!

I have a Trekking Sduro 6.0. The PW-45 drive that equips it is identical to the PW series drive sold in the US (except for the higher 28mph cutoff speed).

There is no Tour mode provided on the PW series, but yet the difference between ECO and Standard modes is pretty sizable. This makes it difficult to get the most out of the battery since ECO is not usable in many situations (traffic, wind, moderate hills, etc.). To extend your range you have to observe the power meter very carefully and constantly switch into ECO at every opportunity. But this has an impact on rider safety. Whilst touring, I've found that my attention is often more focused on battery saving techniques than on the surrounding traffic. All that would be required to fix this is for Haibike/Yamaha to add a Tour mode that offers an intermediate level of assistance in between ECO and Standard modes.
FWIW, I have both SDURO and XDURO eMTBs, and have found the 400Wh batteries to be comparable in range using similar assist levels. Trail use, of course, is very different so I can't speak to the street experience.

That said, however, my XDUROs have a similarly significant difference to my SDURO from "Eco" to "Tour" or "Eco" to "Std," but I find that both motors' torque sensitivities allow me to manage battery drain at the higher levels without having to constantly switch back & forth. Brose motors only offer three levels, but also have tremendous torque sensing...

Last edited:
At some point I read that Haibike had a liability issue with that feature in the US, but apparently they resolved it so 2017s have it. Glad to learn it can be enabled on older models, too!
I have no idea if it is possible to enable the feature in previous year models. I was asking the question in my post. Anyone know if it can be done?
Also, how and where do dealers hook up into the circuitry of our bikes to upgrade their software/firmware?

I have no idea if it is possible to enable the feature in previous year models. I was asking the question in my post. Anyone know if it can be done?
Also, how and where do dealers hook up into the circuitry of our bikes to upgrade their software/firmware?

Only 2017 Bosch motors can be had with this walk-mode feature.
Even with the firmware update, the 2016 ones won't have this option.

Charging my battery. I really like my Bosch mid-drive system except for one thing - why did they design it so the PowerPack can't be charged while mounted to the bicycle? No work around for that - one has to disconnect the battery and bring it to the charger vs vice-versa.

How old is the bike, or rather which drive unit is fitted?

With every Active Line, Performance Line and Performance CX drive unit that I have ever seen that has a frame mounted battery, the battery can be charged whilst still attached to the bike.
I can only assume that you must have a Classic Line, and I can't remember how I used to charge that system, as it was seemingly so long ago.

Last edited:
How old is the bike, or rather which drive unit is fitted?

With every Active Line, Performance Line and Performance CX drive unit that I have ever seen that has a frame mounted battery, the battery can be charged whilst still attached to the bike.
I can only assume that you must have a Classic Line, and I can't remember how I used to charge that system, as it was seemingly so long ago.

Well I feel like a horse's ass. I didn't even notice the portal for charging the battery while on the bicycle. For some reason I thought it would be on the battery not on the battery mount so I never looked at the battery mount for a possible connection for charging the battery while on the bike. Because of your posting I went down to the garage and took a look and you were spot on. Thanks!

My Sduro SM threw and error 28 after only 25 miles.

Below is the link to the youtube video on resetting the computer and the steps to perform:
1) Turn on the bike
2) Release the ignition button and press it again for 10 seconds until appear the 3 assistance modes.
3) With the arrow key to go to "Eco" and press the "Light"
4) You will see probably the word "E1"
5) Press the light key and the two arrow keys.
6) The display should light for a moment and go out.
7) Turn the bike (it should work), leave it still and let the display to go off on its own (it will take about 5 minutes). This very important step.

Handlbar Bag. I have a Haibike XDuro Trekking bicycle and can mount rear panniers without any problem, but try finding and then mounting a handlebar bag that doesn't interfere with the bosch control unit (mounted on the center of the handlebars) or obstruct the front light. A possible solution is the Sackville Bar Tube bag from Rivendell Bicycles, but unfortunately they didn't have it in the right color with the delivery date of the desired color (Gray) unknown. The shape of the top tube makes it difficult to find a "cockpit" bag to use as a substitute for the handlebar bag. I've checked out gear from Revelate Designs (e.g., "gas tank" and "mag tank" and "jerry can") but don't think they will mount correctly given the shape of the top tube.

Lack of Water Bottle Braze-ons. To make up for the lack of bottle braze ons I purchased and mounted a Topeka Cage Mount to the handlebar and then mounted a water bottle cage to that. It isn't the best solution, but it better than lugging water on my back and sucking it through a tube.

Jan:
Ortlieb has addressed the issue of center mounted displays such as the Bosch with their E-bike mount #E 207 mount that has wider attachment legs to straddle the stem area. See the pdf that's linked below. Scroll all the way down, it's shown on the right-hand side.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I have posted to my specific Haibike thread but want to follow up here. I have a 2016 Haibike XDuro FullSeven S Pro with Bosch Cx 350W system. I have learned of a software upgrade released in Europe and supposed to come to the USA July 2017. It replaces the 3rd level boost with a variable boost function. My Haibike dealers that I've spoken with have not been aware of this upgrade which I also remembered is supposed to be a freebie. Anyone have more info?

Edit: EMTB mode review http://ebike-mtb.com/en/emtb-mode-bosch-cx-review/

edit: Turns out I have the Bosch Performance Speed system with 28 mph limit. It will not accept that emtb mode even though it is a mountain bike. Error

Last edited:
This is a small issue, but it could lead to an accident if a cable gets tangled with your wheel. I have a Haibike Sduro AllMtn Plus. I've ridden it about a year and 1600 miles, mostly pavement, some dirt, nothing extreme. Overall a great bike!

This is the first issue I've had so far: the small, black plastic clip that holds the speed sensor cable secured to the frame fell off during a ride a couple of days ago. Haibike uses the same kind of clip or clamp to secure other cables as well, such as disc brake cables. (I was going to attach photos but I see that pictures have to be hosted by an external server, and I've cancelled all my accounts in photo-hosting sites.) The clips appear to be specific to Haibike. They attach to tiny cradles or bosses in the frame. A neat solution, as long as they don't fall off!

I emailed my dealer, @San Diego Fly Rides, asking whether the clip was readily available and whether its replacement would be covered under warranty. This is their reply:

"Hi... its not covered under warranty as its lost but we'll see if we have one around here otherwise we'd have to order some - will keep you posted, thnx"

I do not follow their reasoning, that because it's "lost" it is no covered under warranty. It fell off during a normal ride, and perhaps it fell off because it was loose or because the design is faulty.

In the meantime I wrapped the cable to the frame with black tape and I am waiting to hear back from @San Diego Fly Rides.

About two weeks after I contacted @San Diego Fly Rides regarding the lost cable clip I got a call from their service guy. He told me he uses a zip tie when a clip comes off. I asked him to order a couple of clips for me in any case. Ten days after that, having heard nothing, I emailed @San Diego Fly Rides asking for an update. There was no response.

I then contacted the US Haibike distributor directly. Here's their response:

"Hello Sir
I am sorry to inform you that that clip is not a stocking part for Haibike, they are created at time of build and no spares are produced. We just instruct everyone in the US to use a zip tie when this occurs.
Thank You
Jed Paraso
Head of Operations / Event Manager Haibike USA"

This is disappointing. A zip tie is simply not elegant, and good design is part of the value of a $4,000 bike. It begs the question, what other parts of the bike are "not a stocking part for Haibike," and for which Haibike owners will have to fend for themselves?

About two weeks after I contacted @San Diego Fly Rides regarding the lost cable clip I got a call from their service guy. He told me he uses a zip tie when a clip comes off. I asked him to order a couple of clips for me in any case. Ten days after that, having heard nothing, I emailed @San Diego Fly Rides asking for an update. There was no response.

"Hello Sir
I am sorry to inform you that that clip is not a stocking part for Haibike, they are created at time of build and no spares are produced. We just instruct everyone in the US to use a zip tie when this occurs.
Thank You
Jed Paraso

This is disappointing. A zip tie is simply not elegant, and good design is part of the value of a $4,000 bike. It begs the question, what other parts of the bike are "not a stocking part for Haibike," and for which Haibike owners will have to fend for themselves?

@Bicyclista ,

It's super simple. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Jan:
Ortlieb has addressed the issue of center mounted displays such as the Bosch with their E-bike mount #E 207 mount that has wider attachment legs to straddle the stem area. See the pdf that's linked below. Scroll all the way down, it's shown on the right-hand side.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Thanks for the info on the Ortlieb E207 mount. I ordered it - was back ordered for several weeks, but finally I finally received and installed it. Installation was a snap and my Ortlieb handlebar bag mounted with only one minor problem. The bag partially obstructs the front light. I can change the tilt of the light, but of course that means I can't see as far out in front of the bike. Not a significant problem, but worth passing on to others. Thanks again for the tip.

"Hello Sir
Thank You
Jed Paraso

Could someone please tell me exactly where this clip is located? I was riding my bicycle the other day and heard something hit the ground, but couldn't find what dropped off the bicycle nor did I note anything missing on the bike. Thanks in advance.

Back