Known Issues & Problems with Giant Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

You can get the bearings replaced at performance line bearings.com If you send your motor to them. it sounds like some of the bearings need replacing.

Im sending mine at the end of march. Even though mine is ok it would be good to have it looked at and have the driveshaft and internals cleaned and regreased.

https://www.performancelinebearings.com/
I'll check that out if the shop doesn't want to do the servicing. Thank you!

I got my bike serviced today and everything got a clean bill of health, no issues electrically or mechanically :) After 3500 miles I'm more than happy with this amazing bike, 2 chains and a set of rear pads and a set of tyres are my only costs incurred so far! I asked the mechanic to set my service interval to 4000km instead of 2000km and he duly obliged, so no spanner icon for a while I hope :D

@Roxlimn A new motor after 3 years is a bit of a worry, hopefully you can get the bearings replaced at little cost! I hope you guys get your electrical faults sorted, I think water ingress is the main cause and I'm extremely cautious now when I'm washing my bike!

yes. Water and dust ingress are the worst culprits for the giant yamaha motor. Never use a pressure washer and I always clean and wipe my bike down after every ride.

Hi had my giant explore e for a year now no problems. Washed it today and the lcd display won’t turn off .i press and hold for 5 seconds to turn off but 1 second later turns it’s self on again . I took the battery off but as soon as you put it back the display comes on itself . I know it’s a issue I’ve put it in a warm room do you think it will sort itself out .

Hi had my giant explore e for a year now no problems. Washed it today and the lcd display won’t turn off .i press and hold for 5 seconds to turn off but 1 second later turns it’s self on again . I took the battery off but as soon as you put it back the display comes on itself . I know it’s a issue I’ve put it in a warm room do you think it will sort itself out .
Hopefully when it has dried out properly all will be fine! Have you ridden it much in wet weather? Strangely I have had a soaking many times and never had a problem afterwards but twice after washing it the problem occured...

Hopefully when it has dried out properly all will be fine! Have you ridden it much in wet weather? Strangely I have had a soaking many times and never had a problem afterwards but twice after washing it the problem occured...
I’ve not rode it much in the rain and yesterday was the first real wash I gave it . How long can u recall before it corrected itself . Everything is working fine on it just display won’t turn off . Also got a SpeedBox 2 fitted and that’s working ok . But if it doesn’t correct itself and have to take it to dealer I know the warranty void but I don’t mind paying. Only some people might not touch it because of the SpeedBox ?

I’ve not rode it much in the rain and yesterday was the first real wash I gave it . How long can u recall before it corrected itself . Everything is working fine on it just display won’t turn off . Also got a SpeedBox 2 fitted and that’s working ok . But if it doesn’t correct itself and have to take it to dealer I know the warranty void but I don’t mind paying. Only some people might not touch it because of the SpeedBox ?
Mine was fine after a few days, I'm sure yours will be ok also!

I experienced the same issue only last week. After about 3-4 days back to normal. Giant tech rep said water must have made its way inside and causing a short with the battery. Drop it into lbs and it will be covered under warranty. However, the issue sorted itself. Everything else was functioning normally. Props to Giant customer service. Bike is 15 months old. 2018 Quick E+

I have a Giant Trance e+1, and its doing the same thing. Turns on when I plug in the battery, sometimes all of the lights on the Ride Control are illuminated and in this state the bike will not operate. Other times the ride control operates as normal and so does the bike, however when I try to turn it off with the power button, the power light flashes a few time as normal, it turns off but within a second its back on again. Started occuring after I washed my bike. I disconnected all the electrical connectors to the motor, blow dried them and reistalled, it didn't fix the problem. Currently working with my dealer to fix the problem. This is my third problem with the bike, first was it was turning off by itself, next was a motor failure (internal stripped gear, I think) and now I have the 'won't turn off' issue....starting to think new bike time?

I have since found that the water is getting into the handlebar controller (Ride Control One). I immersed the controller in some hot water (65 deg C) which causes the air inside to expand, I could then see air bubbles escaping at the electrical power cable (refer video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mxsiTCFCrBTchCXe9). I suspect water can be drawn into the unit due to temperature change (ie. parked in the sun and then washed or cooled off by rain). I am reluctant to put some sealant on it now in the fear that if there is still some water remaining, it mightl become trapped. I intend keeping water away from it for an extended period to allow it a good period of time to dry out and then apply some sealant (the unit appears to breath with temperature changes which should aid it drying out).

I'm having the opposite problem to a lot of people... in that my Ride Control One often wont turn on (on a Giant Explore E+ 2).
I've found that I can get it to turn on if I plug the charger in, or possibly if the battery has 100% charge. But anything less the bike just won't turn on (no lights illuminate on the Ride Control).
I noticed a weird thing after charging to 100% too – when I manage to turn the bike on, it shows 100% charge on the Ride Control lights, but pressing the button on the battery illuminated only 1 bar. I then turned off the bike and pressed the battery button again - and it showed full bars. I am guessing the battery controller built into the battery is not working?
Cheers :)

EDIT: The bike has been into the bike shop - they noticed the connector for the Ride Control One (hidden in the frame) was not quite in fully... they suspect maybe the handlebars at some point had been rotated 180º+ and put a bit of tension on the cable that goes into the frame. They've re-seated the connector and it's been fine since then.
The other issue I noticed where pressing the battery button (on a fully charged battery) flashed just 1 bar - I think was user-error! :oops: Apparently if you press the battery button once, the LED's will illuminate the correct battery charge after a short delay. But if you are impatient like me, and press the battery button a second time due to the initial delay where it seems like it didn't press the first time, the LED's will flash 1 bar. Giant said there's not really any logic to what the flashes mean... it just means you've pressed the battery button too many times.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been watching this thread because I have similar problems with random electrical faults with an Explore E+1. It has been in to the workshop twice now since October.

Moisture appeared as condensation in the Evo display a week after purchase but it was running ok, then a month later the bike developed faults with the ride control (spontaneous running, unable to switch off or change mode) after a couple of wet days on a camping trip and a couple of foggy, misty mornings. Drying out at home cured the problem but as a precaution Giant replaced the display and mode switch.

About 2 weeks ago the problem returned without any real provocation and drying out has not had any effect.

Today Giant have told the dealer that the problem is moisture and there is a problem with the display. They have been testing a new system without a display and this has survived 6 days under water. I have opted to have the new system fitted but I will lose the ability to display range, speed etc. I will have a mode indicator only...battery level will have to be checked by using the LEDs on the battery itself.

I use the bike for commuting and because I now know my range over various terrains the loss of real time range estimation is not a problem...it tended to over-estimate range whatever the terrain anyway, possibly relating to my riding style. On 'normal' I get 30-40miles from a 500 battery not 50-60...admittedly during winter - might be better come warmer weather.

I have 2 Giant E-bikes and the ride seems to be smoother, more immediate, torquey and more FUN than other makes I have tried. Hopefully Giant have/are sorting out the problem and at least they have been honest and up front with me, which is why I am sticking with them...fingers crossed,

Ciao buddies
I have had my Explorer E +1 for one week and the LCD display broke. It went multi coloured across the screen. I am having it replaced but was so disappointed it went after only 6 days and was told Giant are aware of the problem. Apart from this issue I am so happy with the bike, just wish I had brought this years ago.

I have a Giant Trance e+1 and initially had a problem of if turning itself off and sometimes not being able to be turned on without first removing and re-inserting the battery. I have since found that the battery only just makes contact with the electrical contacts (only 1mm -2mm effective contact, refer attached diagram). If riding in dusty conditions the dust can pack between the contact and cause a bad connection resulting in the bike turning itself off. I fixed this by inserting a 2mm thick rubber shim under the terminal block. I did this by removing the four small Allen screw that secure the terminal block and inserting a 2mm shim to space it out,... tricky to make and has to be made in two halves so it can be fitted.

I also notice that my battery charging and charge state was acting weird, I put this down to the bad connection messing with the Battery Monitoring System (BMS)??? I since found through Giant that if you completely discharge the battery (or I think below 4%) it resets the battery's BMS.

I also more recently had a problem of not being able to to turn the bike off, I found that was relatively common and was caused by water in the handlebar controller....see my previous post.

I have had no end of issues with this bike, including bend crank arms through pedal strikes (and I thought Praxis were quality cranks), but thankfully they are just as easily to remove and bend straight.

I hope this helps others.

Attachments

• Trance E+ battery connetion.pdf
    268.5 KB · Views: 1,503
Hi everyone. Will share my experience with a 2019 Fathom e+3. The cheap one with the 400 watt hour battery. Purchased new late last year, now has around 2000 ks on it.
It has the ride control one unit, no display. I lightly hose it to clean it. After a recent hose it went bonkers when I inserted the battery. Flashing LEDs, cant switch off, would not run etc. It got a bit better and became rideable within an hour, but had issues, LEDs turning off, ghost walking, stuck in current mode, doing random s*it. It did not improve, rather it got worse, and became unrideable within 2 weeks.. As soon as the problem showed, I took it to the LBS and they started a warranty claim. Week 3 saw a new ride control one unit fitted, all issues gone. I THINK WASHING IT ON A STINKING HOT DAY allowed soapy water to be sucked in as the unit was cooled by the water. Giant seems to know of this issue.
Next, the freehub body started locking and driving the front sprocket when I stopped pedalling ocasionally, causing horrible clunks. Relubed and all is well.
Chain and rear cassette wore out fairly quickly this is probably my fault. I am maintaining the new parts properly now?
It started creaking on the pedal strokes just like an old bike with loose cotter pins, this is what made me replace the chain and cassette. Problem persisted. I tightened the 3 bolts holding the motor and problem solved.
BEST MODS: More comfy seat. Dump the Maxxis Forekasters ( I spend half the time on paved tracks and dont do any serious MTB stuff) and fit Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres.
And number one is the BADASS BOX. It did not show up on the Giant diagnostic software, but it does mess up the speed and distance readings on the iphone app. Awesome fun.
Love the bike., cheers!

I have a Giant Trance e+1 and initially had a problem of if turning itself off and sometimes not being able to be turned on without first removing and re-inserting the battery. I have since found that the battery only just makes contact with the electrical contacts (only 1mm -2mm effective contact, refer attached diagram). If riding in dusty conditions the dust can pack between the contact and cause a bad connection resulting in the bike turning itself off. I fixed this by inserting a 2mm thick rubber shim under the terminal block. I did this by removing the four small Allen screw that secure the terminal block and inserting a 2mm shim to space it out,... tricky to make and has to be made in two halves so it can be fitted.

I also notice that my battery charging and charge state was acting weird, I put this down to the bad connection messing with the Battery Monitoring System (BMS)??? I since found through Giant that if you completely discharge the battery (or I think below 4%) it resets the battery's BMS.

I also more recently had a problem of not being able to to turn the bike off, I found that was relatively common and was caused by water in the handlebar controller....see my previous post.

I have had no end of issues with this bike, including bend crank arms through pedal strikes (and I thought Praxis were quality cranks), but thankfully they are just as easily to remove and bend straight.

Cheers for all your good work ,

I have had my Explorer E +1 for one week and the LCD display broke. It went multi coloured across the screen. I am having it replaced but was so disappointed it went after only 6 days and was told Giant are aware of the problem. Apart from this issue I am so happy with the bike, just wish I had brought this years ago.

Had the Screen replaced and again 1 week later it has the same fault. Appears to be moisture inside the LCD display. Once again I am reporting this to my supplier. Is there any answer to this problem?

Well I got my Giant Trance 6 days ago & my bike wont always shut off. Twice now it has turned on when just sitting. It is frustrating now, a expensive bike shouldn't have these issues being this new. I sent video to my lbs so they can see the issue. Giant needs to get another manufacturer of the control switch. Other then this issue the bike is awesome so far. Have about 45 miles of true off road riding.

Interesting you say this. GIANT removed the LCD screen altogether in their 2019 Giant Explore E3. I never had it, and I don't miss. I've got my own speedometer and an app to mapmyride. GREAT bike otherwise!

Hi all

I've been watching this forum for a while, I have a Quick E + 2018 model, I've covered 2k miles since November.

I have the same problem with the display, switches off after 2 seconds, for me it's been relatively dry for the past month. Does a replacement display solve the problem?

Anyone had the chain come off while going over bumps? The chain will jam in between the front chainring and motor cover, it's hard to pull out and will damage the plastic covers.

Attachments

• 20190209_151223.jpg
    20190209_151223.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 883
  • 20190209_151050.jpg
    20190209_151050.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,093
Hi all

I've been watching this forum for a while, I have a Quick E + 2018 model, I've covered 2k miles since November.

I have the same problem with the display, switches off after 2 seconds, for me it's been relatively dry for the past month. Does a replacement display solve the problem?

Anyone had the chain come off while going over bumps? The chain will jam in between the front chainring and motor cover, it's hard to pull out and will damage the plastic covers.

Yep I've had mine jump off quite a few times, it's a right pain in the ass to get the chain back out. It jams behind the crosshead screw holding the bashplate on. I thought about putting a larger headed screw in to stop the chain getting past, but when I started to unscrew the screw it didn't want to come right out, as tho there was a nut on the end, so I stopped. Maybe some kind of larger diameter inner ring could be sourced or fabricated.

Back