Known Issues & Problems with Eahora Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I bought an AM100 a few weeks ago. Here's my review on Amazon:

I have put almost 200 miles on the bike and have many good things to say, but a couple major complaints. First, the good:
PROS:
1. Great range! With practice and battery management skills, I'm sure you can get over 70 miles on a full charge. My first effort at 52 miles ended with still 2/5 bars showing (see photo). My latest trip was 43 miles with 3/5 bars left.
2. Great value. At $1,399, this is a lot of bike for the money.
3. Battery recharges on downhill rides! This is really fun, especially for me, an electric vehicle nerd. I love the way my EV recharges when coasting or braking. Now my bike does it, too. It also allows you to add to your workout. If you pedal while going downhill, it increases the charge rate while increasing your heart rate!
4. The battery has a USB outlet. No more dead cellphones!
5. Relatively light. Most large e-bikes can weigh 70 or 80 pounds. This one is under 50 with the battery removed. This is important for my bike carrier which is rated to 50 lbs.
6. Operates with throttle or peddle-assist. The throttle is really nice for starting up from a stoplight. It takes a couple cranks to get the assist going without it, so getting going by throttle really helps.
7. This bike can go fast on the flat. It cruises very comfortably with normal pedaling effort at 25 mph.
8. Tools needed for assembly were included... but no assembly instructions...which leads me to the....
CONS:
1. No paperwork included with the shipment. No assembly instructions, user manual, safety warnings, etc. Is that even legal? If you have never assembled a bike before, you'll probably need some help or at least find a good youtube video. There is an online user manual on the eahora website for the electric operation, but it is not particularly well written and contains some errors.
2. Some adjustments need to be made to make this comfortable. Not all the tools needed for those adjustments are included, so you need a good set of bike tools, especially allen wrenches. The gear shift thumb lever, for example, interferes with the grips, so I had to move it a couple inches to the left on the handlebar.
3. The motor has a mind of its own. It surges sporadically, sometimes when you don't want it. For example, I was turning sharply at a slow speed in a confined space when the motor kicked in, almost sending me crashing into a wall. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE THAT NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED. There are many adjustments that can be made on this bike, but the online instructions tell the user to contact customer support. I've done so. We'll see what they can do.
4. Because of the surging problem, this bike SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR MOUNTAIN TRAIL RIDING. MTB trails require careful control of speed, effort and direction. As this bike is sold to be used for trail riding, this is a major problem. If I had bought this bike for trail riding, I probably would have given it 1 star. I will use it primarily for pavement, gravel and dirt roads and flat trails.
5. The motor is not very powerful when going up hills. I am a pretty strong rider, so this is not a real issue with me, but it does take work getting up a hill. The power assist is certainly helpful, but underwhelming.

Would I buy this bike again, knowing what I know now? Probably not. But if customer service can correct the surge problem, I would change that to a yes.

August 1 UPDATE: Tech support was not very helpful. I sent them videos illustrating the problem but they said this is normal. So I decided to make some adjustments myself and was pleasantly surprised to find how easy the adjustments are. I was able to reduce but not eliminate the surging problem. I raised my rating to 4 stars, but if I could rate customer support separately, it would be 2 stars.

The adjustment I made was to change the default power levels from 3 to 5 levels and set the power levels to 45/60/75/85/98. The surging problem was most noticeable at lower speeds. The factory setting for Level 1 was 56, so lowering the power boost on that level to 45 has greatly helped.

I bought an AM100 a few weeks ago. Here's my review on Amazon:

I have put almost 200 miles on the bike and have many good things to say, but a couple major complaints. First, the good:
PROS:
1. Great range! With practice and battery management skills, I'm sure you can get over 70 miles on a full charge. My first effort at 52 miles ended with still 2/5 bars showing (see photo). My latest trip was 43 miles with 3/5 bars left.
2. Great value. At $1,399, this is a lot of bike for the money.
3. Battery recharges on downhill rides! This is really fun, especially for me, an electric vehicle nerd. I love the way my EV recharges when coasting or braking. Now my bike does it, too. It also allows you to add to your workout. If you pedal while going downhill, it increases the charge rate while increasing your heart rate!
4. The battery has a USB outlet. No more dead cellphones!
5. Relatively light. Most large e-bikes can weigh 70 or 80 pounds. This one is under 50 with the battery removed. This is important for my bike carrier which is rated to 50 lbs.
6. Operates with throttle or peddle-assist. The throttle is really nice for starting up from a stoplight. It takes a couple cranks to get the assist going without it, so getting going by throttle really helps.
7. This bike can go fast on the flat. It cruises very comfortably with normal pedaling effort at 25 mph.
8. Tools needed for assembly were included... but no assembly instructions...which leads me to the....
CONS:
1. No paperwork included with the shipment. No assembly instructions, user manual, safety warnings, etc. Is that even legal? If you have never assembled a bike before, you'll probably need some help or at least find a good youtube video. There is an online user manual on the eahora website for the electric operation, but it is not particularly well written and contains some errors.
2. Some adjustments need to be made to make this comfortable. Not all the tools needed for those adjustments are included, so you need a good set of bike tools, especially allen wrenches. The gear shift thumb lever, for example, interferes with the grips, so I had to move it a couple inches to the left on the handlebar.
3. The motor has a mind of its own. It surges sporadically, sometimes when you don't want it. For example, I was turning sharply at a slow speed in a confined space when the motor kicked in, almost sending me crashing into a wall. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE THAT NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED. There are many adjustments that can be made on this bike, but the online instructions tell the user to contact customer support. I've done so. We'll see what they can do.
4. Because of the surging problem, this bike SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR MOUNTAIN TRAIL RIDING. MTB trails require careful control of speed, effort and direction. As this bike is sold to be used for trail riding, this is a major problem. If I had bought this bike for trail riding, I probably would have given it 1 star. I will use it primarily for pavement, gravel and dirt roads and flat trails.
5. The motor is not very powerful when going up hills. I am a pretty strong rider, so this is not a real issue with me, but it does take work getting up a hill. The power assist is certainly helpful, but underwhelming.

Would I buy this bike again, knowing what I know now? Probably not. But if customer service can correct the surge problem, I would change that to a yes.

August 1 UPDATE: Tech support was not very helpful. I sent them videos illustrating the problem but they said this is normal. So I decided to make some adjustments myself and was pleasantly surprised to find how easy the adjustments are. I was able to reduce but not eliminate the surging problem. I raised my rating to 4 stars, but if I could rate customer support separately, it would be 2 stars.

The adjustment I made was to change the default power levels from 3 to 5 levels and set the power levels to 45/60/75/85/98. The surging problem was most noticeable at lower speeds. The factory setting for Level 1 was 56, so lowering the power boost on that level to 45 has greatly helped.
Hi SLO,

Thank you for posting this review and comments on your AM100. I just got my XC100 a week ago and put 90 miles on it and pretty much have the same pros/cons as yourself, with the exception of your "surge" issues. I fully expected this and learned to overcome that, but not by extending the number of PAS settings, as you have. However, good to hear you now are more satisfied with the AM100 and have taken advantage of that feature. So that con should now be considered a pro in that the adjustment is available and makes this a more user-friendly ebike.

My issue with the XC100 isn't with the bike, it's me. I weigh 210lbs and cannot get any faster speed than 21mph on level ground at PAS-3. But it is not too much of a problem, as the bike paths I use are not very steep, more long upward slopes. And since I am trying to lose weight, this will be more incentive! I have discovered that I use PAS-2 the majority of the time, and for now my riding limit is about 20 miles, which I hope to improve to 30 by the end of summer. Additionally, I discovered that at the top gear (7) and at PAS-2, I can barely peddle fast enough to keep up with the motor. So having an extra gear or two would give me a better workout. Moving down to PAS-1 really bogs down the motor, as it enters regen mode and is pretty tough on my 66-yr old legs.

Another limiting factor is the 350w motor. We can't expect too much from that wattage. eAhora does sell a 48v/14ah battery for this bike. I am wondering if that would help top-end speed. Also maybe a tweak to the setting for "UOl" power voltage. You may have seen some of my threads on increasing the "LS" speed setting. I found my XC100 was defaulted to 40kph (not the 25kph default as the YL80C manual states) and I took that up to 50kph, but with no noticeable difference in top speed, unfortunately. I asked eAhora service about this and they agreed that my weight is probably the factor. BTW, many have complained about eAhora's customer service, but overall I have found them to be very responsive to my questions when submitted through their website.

As to your comments on lack of documentation with the bike: remember this is sold world-wide and providing a manual in several languages would be a challenge for this Chinese company. I had a 2-month wait time between my Amazon purchase and delivery, and in the meantime found any/all information I could online, including installation videos, the display manual, and user reviews & tips.

Please keep posting here with comments of how the AM100 is performing, your upgrades, and any issues you come across that may help other eAhora ebike owners. We are a small slice of this vast ebike community, and sharing information is what this forum is all about!

You can eliminate the surge "problem" (it's not a problem, this is the way the bike is designed), by lowering to PAS-0 (no peddle assist). Then go back to whatever PAS level you need. I am able to quickly change PAS levels with my XC100 using the "+" and "-" buttons on the handlebar control. You will see the PAS setting change immediately on the display, but it does take about 3 seconds for the change to take affect.

I'm sure you have figured this out, but hope others reading this will find it helpful.

ZZRider,

Thanks for your comments. I do appreciate the way you can customize the settings on the eAhora bikes. From reading several comments in this forum, it appears that there are not a lot of e-bikes that allow the user to program the controls. But it is a shame that they don't promote and support this feature. I think it would be a great selling point. Tech support did not advise me that it could help with my issue and their manual discourages users from making adjustments to those settings. From the manual: "Ensure you do not change Personalization settings. Changing Personalization settings may cause your bike to stop working properly." I would think that the majority of users would be intimidated by that warning and not bother to pursue it.

As it turns out, the surging I was experiencing is not "normal". It was caused by the fact that the factory setting for the power boost on Level 1 was set at 56%. Default is supposed to be 50%. I have now set it at 40% and it virtually eliminates the surge problem at low speeds.

And thanks for suggesting using the "+" and "-" buttons more aggressively. I have paddle shifters on my EV that allow me to adjust the battery regeneration level on the fly. I use those whenever I can and rarely need to use the brake pedal unless coming to a full stop. So it is a technique that I should be able to learn with a little practice.

Two last questions: Do you or anyone else know what the CUR (Current Limit Value) is all about? Default is 15, but can be raised to 25. I wonder if that would raise the max speed? And what about SCN (Booster Sensitivity Setting). What does that do?
1596557159832.png
1596557364064.png

ZZRider,

Thanks for your comments. I do appreciate the way you can customize the settings on the eAhora bikes. From reading several comments in this forum, it appears that there are not a lot of e-bikes that allow the user to program the controls. But it is a shame that they don't promote and support this feature. I think it would be a great selling point. Tech support did not advise me that it could help with my issue and their manual discourages users from making adjustments to those settings. From the manual: "Ensure you do not change Personalization settings. Changing Personalization settings may cause your bike to stop working properly." I would think that the majority of users would be intimidated by that warning and not bother to pursue it.

As it turns out, the surging I was experiencing is not "normal". It was caused by the fact that the factory setting for the power boost on Level 1 was set at 56%. Default is supposed to be 50%. I have now set it at 40% and it virtually eliminates the surge problem at low speeds.

And thanks for suggesting using the "+" and "-" buttons more aggressively. I have paddle shifters on my EV that allow me to adjust the battery regeneration level on the fly. I use those whenever I can and rarely need to use the brake pedal unless coming to a full stop. So it is a technique that I should be able to learn with a little practice.

Two last questions: Do you or anyone else know what the CUR (Current Limit Value) is all about? Default is 15, but can be raised to 25. I wonder if that would raise the max speed? And what about SCN (Booster Sensitivity Setting). What does that do?
View attachment 61284View attachment 61285
Yes, some of the listed defaults in the manual may not match your particular eAhora ebike. I had the same thing with the "LS" setting. And I was wondering about the Cur setting as well, which led me to this website that has lots of good info on voltages, wattage, and torque:

That booster setting could be the amount of current supplied when PAS-x kicks in...just a guess. But there is also a setting for the magnetic disk reading also, which may go hand-in-hand. So many options to learn!

On what should be a simple setting, the display backlight one, the manual states there are 3 levels of brightness. I like to run my headlight even during the day for more visibility to oncoming riders, and it auto-dims the display when you turn it on, so to compensate, I want to raise the brightness of the display, but the manual has a disclaimer:

"Regarding the background parameter setting of the display instrument, please do not change
it at will, otherwise normal riding cannot be guaranteed."

I have a question in to eAhora service asking if it is OK to increase the brightness of the display.

ZZRider,

I weigh 210lbs and cannot get any faster speed than 21mph on level ground at PAS-3

I weigh 172 lbs and can get it up to 24 mph on the flat, but that requires a lot of unsustainable effort. A comfortable cruising top speed is closer to 22. I have tried several programming tweaks to increase the speed, including setting the max to 50kph, but nothing works. Your weight might be a small factor, but there must be something wrong with the controller setting that we haven't figured out.... nor has tech support, apparently. There are plenty of ebikes with 350 watt motors that will do 28 mph.

ZZRider,

I weigh 172 lbs and can get it up to 24 mph on the flat, but that requires a lot of unsustainable effort. A comfortable cruising top speed is closer to 22. I have tried several programming tweaks to increase the speed, including setting the max to 50kph, but nothing works. Your weight might be a small factor, but there must be something wrong with the controller setting that we haven't figured out.... nor has tech support, apparently. There are plenty of ebikes with 350 watt motors that will do 28 mph.
Let's hope some somebody figures that out. I've seen some XC100 reviews where they got it up to 24-28mph but I can't get there. I converted my wife's Schwinn trike to a 1000w front wheel conversion and it can get up to 28mph easily. Apples/oranges, I know...but I can't challenge her to a race.🚴‍♀️🚴‍♂️

Hi SLO,

Thank you for posting this review and comments on your AM100. I just got my XC100 a week ago and put 90 miles on it and pretty much have the same pros/cons as yourself, with the exception of your "surge" issues. I fully expected this and learned to overcome that, but not by extending the number of PAS settings, as you have. However, good to hear you now are more satisfied with the AM100 and have taken advantage of that feature. So that con should now be considered a pro in that the adjustment is available and makes this a more user-friendly ebike.

My issue with the XC100 isn't with the bike, it's me. I weigh 210lbs and cannot get any faster speed than 21mph on level ground at PAS-3. But it is not too much of a problem, as the bike paths I use are not very steep, more long upward slopes. And since I am trying to lose weight, this will be more incentive! I have discovered that I use PAS-2 the majority of the time, and for now my riding limit is about 20 miles, which I hope to improve to 30 by the end of summer. Additionally, I discovered that at the top gear (7) and at PAS-2, I can barely peddle fast enough to keep up with the motor. So having an extra gear or two would give me a better workout. Moving down to PAS-1 really bogs down the motor, as it enters regen mode and is pretty tough on my 66-yr old legs.

Another limiting factor is the 350w motor. We can't expect too much from that wattage. eAhora does sell a 48v/14ah battery for this bike. I am wondering if that would help top-end speed. Also maybe a tweak to the setting for "UOl" power voltage. You may have seen some of my threads on increasing the "LS" speed setting. I found my XC100 was defaulted to 40kph (not the 25kph default as the YL80C manual states) and I took that up to 50kph, but with no noticeable difference in top speed, unfortunately. I asked eAhora service about this and they agreed that my weight is probably the factor. BTW, many have complained about eAhora's customer service, but overall I have found them to be very responsive to my questions when submitted through their website.

As to your comments on lack of documentation with the bike: remember this is sold world-wide and providing a manual in several languages would be a challenge for this Chinese company. I had a 2-month wait time between my Amazon purchase and delivery, and in the meantime found any/all information I could online, including installation videos, the display manual, and user reviews & tips.

Please keep posting here with comments of how the AM100 is performing, your upgrades, and any issues you come across that may help other eAhora ebike owners. We are a small slice of this vast ebike community, and sharing information is what this forum is all about!

I tried the UOL setting, didn't work for me. It changes the voltage level displayed per bar of battery. Bad explanation, but turning it up didn't give me more power/speed.

ZZRider,

I just realized that my model (AM 100) is only supposed to go 22 mph. Your XC100 is supposed to hit 28 mph.

From the AM 100 page:
350W HIGH-SPEED BRUSHLESS MOTOR
Eahora's Patented E-PAS regenerative electrical motor drastically improves range by re-charging the battery while traveling downhill, gliding, etc. All the while the 350 Watt high-speed brushless motor can produce speeds up to 22 MPH in just 10 seconds.

From the XC100 page:
350W HIGH-SPEED BRUSHLESS GEAR MOTOR
Eahora design the internal structure of the motor. With the E-PAS system, it can generate electricity back to the battery when the rider goes downhill or gliding, providing additional energy back to the battery. With this 350W high-speed brushless gear motor, you can speed up the max (28MPH) in 15s.

On the other hand, their Amazon listing says:

eAhora AM100 Specifications

Type: Electric Hybrid Bicycle Frame: Artificial Mechanics Aluminum Alloy Frame

Wheels/Tires: 27.5''*2.8'' CST Max. Load: 330 LBS Product Weight: 52LBS

Motor: 350W Brushless Motor Brake: Hydraulic Brakes

Suspension: Lockable Front Suspension Fork & Rear Suspension For Smooth Riding

Flywheel: Shimano 9-speed Freewheel Display:Yolin LED Waterproof Intelligent Display

Battery:48V / 10.4AH with Samsung Lithium Battery Cells Charging Time: 5-6 hours

Headlight: 5W Rear light: Reflector

Maximum speed:28-30MPH (PAS mode) & 26-28MPH (Electric Mode) Mileage:45-55mi(Electric) / 60-80mi(PAS)

That was one of the reasons I bought this model. I wanted it to go at least 28 mph.

On the other hand, their Amazon listing says:

That was one of the reasons I bought this model. I wanted it to go at least 28 mph.
Yeah, Amazon descriptions are all over the place--not to be trusted. Best bet is the eAhora website (https://www.eahoraebike.com). But as we've seen, even their manual is in conflict with some of the default settings listed, or come out of the factory with different settings than the default.

I'm still satisfied overall. Proof is in the test of time. Some reviewers are nearing 1000 miles with theirs.

Last edited:
Yeah, Amazon descriptions are all over the place--not to be trusted

You mean eAhora's description of their bike posted on Amazon. You make it sound like the false advertising is Amazon's fault or that it is somehow my fault for trusting the bike description on Amazon. If it were not such a big item and troublesome to return, I would have returned it by now.

You mean eAhora's description of their bike posted on Amazon. You make it sound like the false advertising is Amazon's fault or that it is somehow my fault for trusting the bike description on Amazon. If it were not such a big item and troublesome to return, I would have returned it by now.
Slo, not suggesting your fault for anything. I am saying that I have observed Amazon descriptions of items sold there, be it ebikes or other products, sometimes vary when the same item is listed by multiple sellers.
I would fault the seller for not ensuring correct product information. When this is found by a potential buyer, they can contact the seller through Amazon's website.

Slo, not suggesting your fault for anything. I am saying that I have observed Amazon descriptions of items sold there, be it ebikes or other products, sometimes vary when the same item is listed by multiple sellers.
I would fault the seller for not ensuring correct product information. When this is found by a potential buyer, they can contact the seller through Amazon's website.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will report the incorrect advertising to Amazon.

ZZRider,

View attachment 61284View attachment 61285
Slo,

When you are in the advanced settings mode, how to you move from one setting to the next? For example, can you move through the settings without going through each default setting?

I entered the advanced settings for the first time yesterday (to bump up the CUR setting, as you did) and it first displayed the battery bar levels. But I did not know how to move to the next setting, and being cautious about messing up the controller with an incorrect sequence of button presses, I exited by pressing the "i" button.

Too bad the Yolin display doesn't have a menu selection option like the M5 and Color display have.
It's much easier to navigate through a menu than having to press the buttons in a certain manner.

Last edited:
Slo,

When you are in the advanced settings mode, how to you move from one setting to the next? For example, can you move through the settings without going through each default setting?

I entered the advanced settings for the first time yesterday (to bump up the CUR setting, as you did) and it first displayed the battery bar levels. But I did not know how to move to the next setting, and being cautious about messing up the controller with an incorrect sequence of button presses, I exited by pressing the "i" button.

Too bad the Yolin display doesn't have a menu selection option like the M5 and Color display have.
It's much easier to navigate through a menu than having to press the buttons in a certain manner.

ZZ,

I felt a bit intimidated at first, too. But when I saw that there is a way to restore default settings, I figured, "Why not see what is going on here". So I have fully explored all settings and changed some of them to suit my riding style.

I see you figured out how to get to the advanced settings. Once you are there, to get to the CUR setting, just press the "+" two times and you'll be there. Then press the "i" button to display the current value. Then press the "+" or "-" to increase or decrease the value.To set the new value, press "i" again and it will take you back to CUR. From there you can press the "+" again to scroll through the other settings, stopping at each one and pressing "i" to see the current setting of each. When you are all done, long press the "i" and you are ready to roll.

Good luck!

ZZ,

I felt a bit intimidated at first, too. But when I saw that there is a way to restore default settings, I figured, "Why not see what is going on here". So I have fully explored all settings and changed some of them to suit my riding style.

I see you figured out how to get to the advanced settings. Once you are there, to get to the CUR setting, just press the "+" two times and you'll be there. Then press the "i" button to display the current value. Then press the "+" or "-" to increase or decrease the value.To set the new value, press "i" again and it will take you back to CUR. From there you can press the "+" again to scroll through the other settings, stopping at each one and pressing "i" to see the current setting of each. When you are all done, long press the "i" and you are ready to roll.

Good luck!
Thanks!! I'll give this a go later today.

Thanks!! I'll give this a go later today.

BTW, I just got an email from tech support asking for my address. Apparently they are sending me out a new controller.

<<For your surging issue, our techincal staff said they tried to send a new thrrottle and power assistor for you.
Let's see whether the problem could be solved.>>>

I having an issue were my xc100 won't get into 6th and 7th gear. I'm not sure why, but on the shifter it says it's on 7th but it's on the 5th cog and won't go any further. Anyone else having this problem?

I having an issue were my xc100 won't get into 6th and 7th gear. I'm not sure why, but on the shifter it says it's on 7th but it's on the 5th cog and won't go any further. Anyone else having this problem?

Sounds like the limit adjustment needs resetting. Here's a good video showing how to do it. I haven't tried it on my bike, but I assume that this should work.

Back