Known Issues & Problems with Bosch Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I have not had this happen but I dont think it goes all the way to 85% before switching to the other battery. It likely operates like discharge where it charges 5-6% per battery before switching; I may be wrong. Which of your 2 batteries didnt charge the 500W or the downtube 625W? I had a recent problem with my downtube battery and am curious.
The 500W top tube is the one that didn't charge this last time. Not sure on the previous time.

No, nothing has changed on the bike since then. I've not had any other errors shown in a while though.
Last time you did a software update/rohloff re-callibration and you assume it was fixed by this?
Between then and now i assume nothing has changed?
Your original error's were:
606 whilst charging.
Info i found on this was:
Source 1: External battery pack error. Check the wiring. Restart the system. If the problem persists, contact your Bosch eBike dealer.
Source 2: External short circuit. Check plug and cable for damage or manipulation. Print service report, delete error code, restart system. If the problem persists, please contact the eBike hotline.
595 whilst turning on: Error in der CAN-Bus Communication - longer than 10 Seconds

Both original errors suggest checking cables & no software update or otherwise would fix 606, it sounds purely hardware.
I would say you have a hard to track down intermittent hardware problem, probably the Y-cable somewhere, may have to remove the entire Y-cable and even then it may be impossible to see if it's the actual problem. Or a connector associated with these parts.
But who knows?

Hello everybody,

I'm new here, so forgive me if my question is already posted somewhere. My Bosch Powerpack 500 broke down and is replaced by a new one from the factory. The new battery did not fit smoothly onto the frame of my brand new Tern HSD (1 month old) tho. It didn't fit at all, to be honest. Went back to my dealer. They fixed it, so to speak, by adjusting the 'lock' in which the battery has to click. It now actually fits the battery, but still not that smooth as the 'old' battery used to. I have to push considerably harder to fix the battery onto the frame. It does click as it supposed to, but I have to use a bit more force. My dealer says it eventually will smoothen out. Quite frankly, I can't do much else really, so I took the fixed bike home yesterday, but I still don't have 100% peace of mind. Has anybody here encountered the same with their Bosch Powerpack before? Especially the fitting problems onto the frame? And, is it maybe a 'Tern thing', so to speak? Love to hear your feedback. Thanks, guys!

Hello everybody,

I'm new here, so forgive me if my question is already posted somewhere. My Bosch Powerpack 500 broke down and is replaced by a new one from the factory. The new battery did not fit smoothly onto the frame of my brand new Tern HSD (1 month old) tho. It didn't fit at all, to be honest. Went back to my dealer. They fixed it, so to speak, by adjusting the 'lock' in which the battery has to click. It now actually fits the battery, but still not that smooth as the 'old' battery used to. I have to push considerably harder to fix the battery onto the frame. It does click as it supposed to, but I have to use a bit more force. My dealer says it eventually will smoothen out. Quite frankly, I can't do much else really, so I took the fixed bike home yesterday, but I still don't have 100% peace of mind. Has anybody here encountered the same with their Bosch Powerpack before? Especially the fitting problems onto the frame? And, is it maybe a 'Tern thing', so to speak? Love to hear your feedback. Thanks, guys!
Hi Tom,

Congrats on the new Tern GSD, one of my favorite cargo bikes!

Regarding your replacement battery, this sounds normal. As you've likely seen on your Tern, the battery mounting points for Bosch frame-type batteries involves (2) separate points on the frame- the lock mount point and the power cable mount point. Your dealer should be using a blue plastic battery alignment jig from Bosch to adjust the spacing between these (2) mounting points (as you've noted with the lock mount adjustment.)

I would recommend that you express your concerns to your shop, and see if they can use some "trial and error" adjustment to make the battery fit a bit looser. Keep in mind- too loose, and you risk the battery falling out of the frame while riding.

The amount of pressure required to securely mount the battery will vary widely by individual adjustment, and the frame design from the manufacturer. One of my eBikes will allow the battery to drop right in with little effort, but another one of mine requires quite a lot of force to get the battery secure.

While the feeling is different than your original battery, there is nothing to worry about in this situation. The differences in mounting force are common, and neither (smooth or difficult) is considered normal.

I hope this helps!

I get this message on my nyon every time I ride. the date makes no sense and it syncs my rides every day so why is it full? how or can I clear it?
IMG_3427.jpeg

Hi Tom,

Congrats on the new Tern GSD, one of my favorite cargo bikes!

Regarding your replacement battery, this sounds normal. As you've likely seen on your Tern, the battery mounting points for Bosch frame-type batteries involves (2) separate points on the frame- the lock mount point and the power cable mount point. Your dealer should be using a blue plastic battery alignment jig from Bosch to adjust the spacing between these (2) mounting points (as you've noted with the lock mount adjustment.)

I would recommend that you express your concerns to your shop, and see if they can use some "trial and error" adjustment to make the battery fit a bit looser. Keep in mind- too loose, and you risk the battery falling out of the frame while riding.

The amount of pressure required to securely mount the battery will vary widely by individual adjustment, and the frame design from the manufacturer. One of my eBikes will allow the battery to drop right in with little effort, but another one of mine requires quite a lot of force to get the battery secure.

While the feeling is different than your original battery, there is nothing to worry about in this situation. The differences in mounting force are common, and neither (smooth or difficult) is considered normal.

I hope this helps!
Hi William,

Thanks for your speedy reply. Very good to know that I don't have so much to worry about. I'll keep the progress of the mounting of the battery in check and hope everything stays as it supposed to be. I appreciate your in-depth answer. Thank you very much!

she is fixing his motors and electronics all the time? never had to do that with the bosch. cant find a cog? I had no problem at all. I don't have to worry about programming it as its already setup. with bosch you have reliability. if people messs with it then what does that do to the warranty? you dont really have a warranty on a Bafang.

she is fixing his motors and electronics all the time? never had to do that with the bosch. cant find a cog? I had no problem at all. I don't have to worry about programming it as its already setup. with bosch you have reliability. if people messs with it then what does that do to the warranty? you dont really have a warranty on a Bafang.
Just because you don't want the right to repair doesn't mean everybody else shouldn't have it either! :)

you can repair a bosch motor. once out of warranty. before bosch just replaces the.
I'm happy for you with your renewed faith via getting a rusty motor completely replaced 5 months past a 2 year warranty.
Normally, out of warranty and assuming you're not lucky :), if any of the sensors go, DU circuit board, etc. goes then i think you'll be paying $1000 plus for a new DU.

Thank you so much. Very informative video. Here in Québec-Canada we have no choice of dealing with approuved dealer only. Sad.

I would complain a lot more if the Bosch components weren't designed so well to last with tight manufacturing tolerances :)
Bit like older Apple computer corp designs - works well, usually for a long time, easy to use.
But can't repair yourself, can't tinker, static feature set that you can't improve or personalise yourself.

I have not had this happen but I dont think it goes all the way to 85% before switching to the other battery. It likely operates like discharge where it charges 5-6% per battery before switching; I may be wrong. Which of your 2 batteries didnt charge the 500W or the downtube 625W? I had a recent problem with my downtube battery and am curious.
You'r right, the battery BMS switches itself to slow-balancing charge mode over 80% - this is essential.
My experience: with dual batt both of two should switch itself to slow mode at same time. Sometimes this not happened.
With dual batt the correct balancing charge is more important. This means ALWAYS wait for the automatic switch off both batteries at charging.
Info: this last 20% can be 10 hours, one switches off itself after 60 minutes and the 2nd can be 10 hours! If you finishes the charging, the 2nd unbalanced battery will be more and more unbalanced ...
Info: if a Bosch battery is not correctly cell balanced, you frequently encounter switch on-off issues.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric motors from Bosch as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Problems with chain wear and chain jamming have been mentioned by our members along with issues concerning the small motor cog.

Nyon BU350 screen replacement. The screen of my Nyon is extensively cracked following a slow speed "incident". Despite all the cracks it remains fully functional even although the glass would come completely out of the housing if not retained by tape. No longer weatherproof so not a desirable situation. Does anybody have experience with replacing the screen?? and if so is there a specific part number??

FYI: I just replaced my Gen 2 DU FOR THE 5th TIME at MY expense this time. Cost: Just over $1100.00 Cdn
I was told and have captured an agreement that this 'purchase' includes a NEW 2 year warranty. We're going to test that...
To recap my Bosch history #1 12,000 km, #2 2900 km, #3 2600, #4 5600 km.
It's REALLY sad that Bosch doesn't/won't put a 2 year warranty on a warranty replacement DU.
Hey Bosch: Why is that?

FYI those with Bosch products which up until now had been a positive experience for me.

In terms of replacing the shattered screen on my Nyon BUI350 all the responses I have from Bosch are indicating there is no repair option or replacement parts available. You would expect that any company wishing to maintain its reputation would at least have an exchange program in place so that if repair is not an option there was at least a changeover policy to supply a replacement at somewhat less than full retail price. To have to pay for a full price replacement because Bosch will not stock parts does leave a very bad taste . The short term solution for me will be to install a gorilla glass screen protector improve the weather proofing.
If you have had a similar experience or perhaps a more postive experience with a supplier for a screen replacement please let us all know.

Attachments

• IMG-20230406-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230406-WA0000.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 127
FYI those with Bosch products which up until now had been a positive experience for me.

In terms of replacing the shattered screen on my Nyon BUI350 all the responses I have from Bosch are indicating there is no repair option or replacement parts available. You would expect that any company wishing to maintain its reputation would at least have an exchange program in place so that if repair is not an option there was at least a changeover policy to supply a replacement at somewhat less than full retail price. To have to pay for a full price replacement because Bosch will not stock parts does leave a very bad taste . The short term solution for me will be to install a gorilla glass screen protector improve the weather proofing.
If you have had a similar experience or perhaps a more postive experience with a supplier for a screen replacement please let us all know.
bosch for the most part is plug and play not repair. though its pretty cracked you may be able to cover it with a screen protector. I did that on my garmin.

bosch for the most part is plug and play not repair. though its pretty cracked you may be able to cover it with a screen protector. I did that on my garmin.
Yes, as noted in my post that is my plan. The most frustrating part is that to restore to good working order I have to pay $500-$600 AUD to replace the screen by buying a totally new unit. Perhaps Bosch could consider a service option where if you returned the old unit replacement direct to them there it could be repaired/replaced at something less than full retail price. Much better for brand reputation.

Back