Known Issues & Problems with Aventon Products + Help, Solutions, & Fixes

1. Follow the wire from the throttle and verify it is completely connected.
2. Screws and the big nut on the electrical connector have been known to come loose and make battery removal difficult. Even so I have to smack the battery while holding the lever open to get mine off. Luckily I don't need to remove mine very often.
3. I don't have this problem with my 500 or 350.

Thanks robrob, I'll check battery fasteners. I've checked the external wiring, but haven't breached the wires under the down tube yet. If it's easy to remove that cover, I'll look under there, and share how it goes...

I have Aventon Pace 500 Sport in small frame size. I like the bike.
I have two complaints. The lowest Pedal Assist level PAS 1 is too high at nearly 12mph. Once you pedal the required 1 revolution before assist is activated, the motor quickly accelerates to 12mph in a few seconds. It seems dangerous to be turning slowly and just pedal once and have that high acceleration jolting you forward. The second complaint is no 0 start throttle. You must pedal 1 revolution before the throttle is activated. This is tough starting at a stop light and wanting to get across the street quickly using the throttle but only after that pedal revolution. All my other ebikes I have ridden had the throttle activated from 0 start. I have gotten used to these problems. But I wish Aventon would make this great ebike even better by fixing the two complaints.

I posted earlier that my Pace 500 battery was shutting down during rides. Well I realized I was riding the bike in PAS 0 for too long so the bike was doing the auto-shutdown thing. I just have to remember to blip the throttle or switch between Trip A and Trip B or something else every few minutes when not using any pedal assist to keep the bike from shutting off and losing the trip info.
Interesting. I ride the majority of the time with zero assist and my Level has never shut down. To respond to the Aventon “jumping out,” this scares me, especially in traffic, so, i often start with zero assist. I am 77 years old, and not particularly strong, so it is mildly annoying. I also have a Rad City, and it delivers only a certain limited range of wattage (the display reads this number) and so you don’t have this issue.

Aventon doesn't seem to believe this behavior is a "problem" and won't open up the settings in the display to allow one to adjust this over-boost although it appears to be a feature of the controller (but locked by Aventon). They'll probably finally agree to a allow users to access these additional setting once someone gets seriously hurt by jumping into the path of a moving car unintentionally. It's too bad they are too busy to listen to their users.

Hi Barry, welcome to EBR. I’m sorry for not seeing your question. Yes , I as well have the same issue, but it hasn’t bothered me. I just accept it it as not being perfect and to be honest with you, if you apply your brakes, it will cut the power off. More of an issue is the lack of power on demand and when you start to pedal, after 1/4 revolution the motor kicks in and it jolts forward rapidly up to 12 mph. if you’re not aware, Aventon, after many complaints decided to address this issue. You will have to purchase a new controller and display. Right now they are selling it at a discount of $149.99, usually $179.99. They recommend that it be installed by your dealer. I don’t know how long the sale is, but right now they are out of stock. I imagine when they do have more stock, the sale will be over. Good luck.

the PAS1 setting/throttle has never been a problem for my Pace. when the PAS engages, I tap the brakes after a moment for a smooth acceleration. The throttle isn’t an issue either and we have some tough hills here. To each his own.

Hi everybody! I bought my Level Step-Through on February 14. My bike has only 84km on it. I only ride it on weekends for an hour and around my neighborhood. Yesterday, the bike didn't turn on... Although I remembered that the battery was still half-charged, I charged the battery. It finished charging by late afternoon and the bike turned on! So I left it thinking that I will go out the next day in the morning. Until then, I thought it was indeed a low battery issue. Today, I was getting ready to leave, I turned it on and it did... but just for a few seconds, then it turned off... I don't know what to do. What is this?????

Hi Catlady and welcome. Try pushing the button on the battery twice. If that does’t work, contact your LBS or Aventon directly. They are a top notch company and will help you out. The Level is a nice bike and goog luck and ride safe

I just went downstairs to get the battery out and pressed the button, no reaction. No lights in the indicator that is next to the buttom :confused:

I've had the same problem as CatLady with my Level. I purchased it in January and have put on just over 1000 miles. Suddenly last week, I had exactly the same experience with the system shutting down after charging overnight and riding only a short distance. Fortunately, I purchased my Level at a local bike shop and took it back to them. They've had it for a few days now and told me they think there's a problem with the battery-mounted charging port. I had mostly been charging the battery while leaving it on the bike, but because my garage is now getting too hot, I've starting bringing the battery indoors to charge using the port that's on the bottom of the battery instead of the one on the bike. So the battery might not have been charged even thought green light on the charger said it was. The shop says they are going to contact Aventon to determine the repairs necessary. CatLady, have you tried charging the battery both on and off the bike to see if it makes a difference in getting a fully charged battery? I wish I had tried that before taking into the shop, though I still want the capability to recharge on or off the bike.

UPDATE (May 8 2021): My local bike shop has had my Level for about a week now. They have diagnosed the problem as a fault in the charging port on the battery and are waiting for replacement parts from Aventon. From my conversation with the guy doing the repairs, it is possible improper seating of the battery after a previous charging off the bike may have damaged the port on the battery, preventing the battery from being charged the next time via that port. He indicated they charged the battery via the port on the bike and charging was successful. So, my guess is I'm going to get a tutorial on proper installation of the battery when I go to pick up my bike next week. To all Level owners....make sure you're properly installing the battery after charging it up off the bike. Apparently it is pretty easy to damage the charging system on the battery. I'll update again once I get my bike back and clarification of instructions for reinstalling the battery.

Last edited:
I just received my Aventon Aventure Stepthrough. It has great power and rides nice. There is an App that is supposed to work with the bike. It looks like it pairs OK with the QR picture, but whenever I attempt to use the App I get a message on my smart phone to turn on Bluetooth. Bluetooth is on in the phone, but there seems to be no place to turn it on in the bike display. Any ideas?

Additionally, I took it for its first ride, 20 miles. For the first couple miles, the speedometer and odometer read correctly, then they began to only read 50% or 60% of actual speed and distance. The bike would pedal to 28 mph, but the speedometer only read about 15 mph. Battery started out at 98% and ended at 48% after the ride. I disconnected and reconnected the motor and display cables, but that did not help. The display shows 26"x4" tires. Any ideas?

I am waiting for a response from Aventon. Will post more info after I hear back from them. Hope it is something simple.

Welcome Efrenbach, I can tell that Aventon is a good company they make good on their product. Good luck and ride safe.

Erfenbach, that sounds like a cadence sensor problem. It's down near the crank. Inspect it, verify it's not loose and check its connector.

Thanks, Robrob! I will check the cadence sensor and it's wiring. I did not suspect it because the 1/2 speed reading also occurs with the throttle only action.

That sounds like the speed sensor then. I'm not sure where it is, it might even be in the hub motor itself.

That sounds like the speed sensor then. I'm not sure where it is, it might even be in the hub motor itself.
I think it is in the hub. I recently watched a few YT vids related to the design / maintenance / repair of these hubs, and I recall one of the posters mentioning the speed sensor during a tear down of a hub. I'm guessing that sensor reads the wheel rotations and then feeds the controller which then feeds the display after doing the calculations based on selected tire size. @Erfenbach, one thing you could try is to separate and re-seat the hub's wire connector in the rear. It's a long shot, but since it did work initially, and then it didn't, maybe it's something simple like a poor wire connection.

I think it is in the hub. I recently watched a few YT vids related to the design / maintenance / repair of these hubs, and I recall one of the posters mentioning the speed sensor during a tear down of a hub. I'm guessing that sensor reads the wheel rotations and then feeds the controller which then feeds the display after doing the calculations based on selected tire size. @Erfenbach, one thing you could try is to separate and re-seat the hub's wire connector in the rear. It's a long shot, but since it did work initially, and then it didn't, maybe it's something simple like a poor wire connection.
Still working on the Bluetooth connection and speedometer/odometer issue with Aventon. Will update as the issue progresses. I reseated the display and hub connectors to no avail on Saturday when the problems occurred. Sunday, when it was cool outside, I took a short ride and the speedometer worked fine, Bluetooth connection was still dead. Far too windy in Sacramento to ride yesterday. I will take another identical long ride today when it is 80 degrees out and see if I can duplicate the speedometer problem. It could be a heating issue, hope not.

Back