Known Issues & Problems with Aventon Products + Help, Solutions, & Fixes

Blipping the throttle is easier than dialing around the display so I'll start doing that to keep the Pace awake.

Check the web site again.
There are different recommended sizes for the small step-through (4'11" - 5'4") vs. the small step-over (5'1" - 5'7").

I have the medium step-through (5'4" - 5'10"), which is also different than the medium step-over (5'7" - 5'11"). But as I mentioned, the medium step-through fits me (6'2") just fine.

There seem to be various types of Cadence sensing controllers
- Constant voltage - This drives a constant voltage to the the motor, based on the assist level, with the current limited by the controller. At low speed you hit the controller current limit regardless of the assist level. Thus, you get a hard shove even at low levels. The Aventon and Magnum Metro, among other bikes, has this type.
- Constant power - The controller tries to feed the motor a constant power based on the assistance level. Thus,
at low assist levels you get a gentle push. Rad Power Bikes has this type on the Rad City. I much prefer it to constant voltage. You will still get higher torque at low speeds than at higher seeds but the drop-off isn't too steep.
- Constant torque - The torque stays constant based on the assist level until you are going fast enough to hit max power. I don't know of any bikes that have this, but there may be some.

If you are technically inclined, you can see the torque curves for constant voltage (the default) or constant torque (if you select a custom controller with constant torque) at https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html. Changing the throttle setting is the equivalent of setting the PAS (pedal assist) level.

Finally, torque sensing bikes work differently, sensing your pedal torque and multiplying that power, giving a fairly natural feeling.

Great explanation. My neighbor has the Pace 500 and has a lot of trouble with PAS surge. He has lost control a few times in tight turns. I have a Qualisports Volador and the power delivery is ultra smooth.

Received my new Aventon Level yesterday. Easy assembly except: the front axle, which needs to be taken off to put on the wheel, is seized in the hub; it will not come free. It is their new fork (Suntour Mobie) with the 20mm bolted through axle assembly. The hex nut was very tight upon its arrival - I was finally able to turn it but the side opposite the hex nut appears to be seized and has no give. A dab of oil, a bit of rubber mallet yielded no movement at all.

Took it to a local shop this morning that is an Aventon partner, and they too were unsure of the scenario. Recommended I contact Aventon (which I have, but after and email and a call and 24 hours they have not returned yet - we'll see how the customer service is...). Both the shop and I are hesitant to wail to much on the axle seeing as its brand new.

It looks great... but so far it's only as good as a bike with one wheel.

One week later: The axle that had arrived with the Level was indeed defective, and Aventon shipped a new one immediately. The shop that represents their bikes here in Eugene replaced it, and I rode about 20 miles today in the glorious sunshine. First impression is great!

Last edited:
I have Aventon Pace 500 Sport in small frame size. I like the bike.
I have two complaints. The lowest Pedal Assist level PAS 1 is too high at nearly 12mph. Once you pedal the required 1 revolution before assist is activated, the motor quickly accelerates to 12mph in a few seconds. It seems dangerous to be turning slowly and just pedal once and have that high acceleration jolting you forward. The second complaint is no 0 start throttle. You must pedal 1 revolution before the throttle is activated. This is tough starting at a stop light and wanting to get across the street quickly using the throttle but only after that pedal revolution. All my other ebikes I have ridden had the throttle activated from 0 start. I have gotten used to these problems. But I wish Aventon would make this great ebike even better by fixing the two complaints.

I think all you need to do is set the maximum speed limit lower. See the manual for how to do this. If you set it at 20 mph, PAS 1 should be about 5.5 mph.
Here is what a reviewer on the Aventon web site said:
“I was concerned with pas 1 speed set at 10 mph but i have learned if you adjust the max speed setting to the lowest setting of 20 your max speed at pas 1 goes down to 5.5 mph which is a nice slow pace for sight seeing riding.”

That would be nice, but I am very skeptical that it will work. Even if it did a 29% reduction in top speed (from 28 to 20) would only translate to 8.5 mph in PAS 1 (29 % reduction of PAS 1 speed of 12 mph). Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Great explanation. My neighbor has the Pace 500 and has a lot of trouble with PAS surge. He has lost control a few times in tight turns. I have a Qualisports Volador and the power delivery is ultra smooth.

I had the same problem in tight turns. I now slightly drag the rear brake when making tight turns and the motor will not come on during the turn.

I’m surprised someone from Aventon has not jumped in and given us the particulars. It wouldn’t take but 5 minutes of their time to inform us as to what is going on with the surge. There is no question that the surge is and could be dangerous. I’ve overcame this issue by dropping to PAS 0 on start, starting off in a low gear to get going and then using my throttle and then when no one is near me I will use my PAS.
I’ve been supporting Aventon on this site many times and do believe they make a good quality bike, but they should do something about the dangerous surge, even if the cost added to the very reasonable retail price. Another issue I have is not having throttle on command. The people at Aventon are very good, and I definitely would do business with them again, and out of respect to customers, I hope they address this issue.

The "surge" isn't a bug, it's just the PAS coming on when you pedal in a tight turn. Applying a little brake lever movement will cut out PAS and prevent the unwanted power surge.

I’ll go along with that Robrob, that too is a way, but there must be a better solution. No other bike I’m aware of has this problem. You‘re aware of it and know how to deal with it and I also deal with it my way. But, there is no manual and you’re left to fend for yourself. When you ride, you constantly have to be conscious of It.

Hey everyone. I received my new Pace 350 yesterday. I’m having an issue with the battery and/or the charger. When I had initially tried to charge the battery for the first time, I had plugged the charger into the electrical outlet FIRST before I had connected the charger to the battery (I understand this was probably a mistake). Once I had connected everything, the charger itself is locked into a steady green light, which usually indicates the battery is fully charged. The battery’s charging level lights do not illuminate so it seems the battery is not charging. Has anyone had this issue before? I’ve reached out to Aventon via email because I feel the battery and charger should be covered under warranty as I just took delivery of the bike yesterday. Any thoughts/comments on how I could possibly troubleshoot would be appreciated. I’m planning on taking a voltmeter to measure the battery and charger sometime later today. Thanks all!

Hi Innovader and welcome. Why not start over. Connect the charger to the battery first just as Aventon says, and then plug in into the house current. The charger will initially show red and when fully charged it will turn green. I seriously think that you damaged anything. After the charger light turns green, it means the the battery is fully charged. Hopefully, you should be good to go after that. Please let us know what happens.

Hi Innovader and welcome. Why not start over. Connect the charger to the battery first just as Aventon says, and then plug in into the house current. The charger will initially show red and when fully charged it will turn green. I seriously think that you damaged anything. After the charger light turns green, it means the the battery is fully charged. Hopefully, you should be good to go after that. Please let us know what happens.

thanks for the reply. I actually tried to do just that numerous times but the light on the charger does not turn red. The light actually stays a steady green. I have tried disconnecting the charger until the green light on the charger disappears and then re-connecting the charger but the light will not turn from green to red.

if the light on the charger is green, it means that the battery is fully charged.

that’s the thing though. The batter itself will not turn on. The indicator lights will not light up. I’ve attached the battery to the bike and it will not turn on.

My neighbor has the Pace 500. His bike was delivered with a faulty battery. He couldn't go 10 miles even though the charger and battery leds showed a full charge. He returned the battery to the Aventon dealer here in town and it was replaced along with a new charger. His battery charge level on the LCD panel does not work at all and his odometer resets to zero when he turns off the bike. I have heard on YouTube that this LCD problem was common at least to early Aventon Pace 500's. Does anyone know if the LCD issue has been corrected?

I have a Pace 500 and the charger would not charge after about 2 months. They sent me a new charger. I’m sorry to hear that, as this is a good bike. Take the charger and battery back to the bike shop and let them deal with it. Aventon is a very good company and is always helpful. A friend of mine did have a problem with the odometer resetting to zero after he shut it down, but it was taken care of by the dealer. This may be a minor problem to the manufacturer, but a major one, because you want to ride. I’m sorry, but good luck.

One more thing! Did you try pressing the button on the battery twice instead of once. That happened to me when I first got it, and the company told me to do this and it worked.

Back