Known Issues & Problems with Aventon Products + Help, Solutions, & Fixes

Welcome Turbo, I have the Pace 500 also and I believe that the brake pressure can be adjusted. The mineral is is probably an overflow. Wipe it off and keep an eye out for it. Same thing happened to me and it was no longer a problem. I’m not familiar about the noise, but you are under warranty, so have it looked at before the expiration. Good luck. Al

No luck. Maybe it was the wrong choice of words to say seized. More like...well just plain stuck. Like there's the ever so slightest give in both directions but feels mechanically stopped from moving in either direction.
I got my Level yesterday and took the battery out to charge. I was looking forward to my first ride, but the key is now frozen and won't move at all. Very frustrating!

That would be nice, but I am very skeptical that it will work. Even if it did a 29% reduction in top speed (from 28 to 20) would only translate to 8.5 mph in PAS 1 (29 % reduction of PAS 1 speed of 12 mph). Hopefully someone else will chime in.
I recently sent this question to Aventon and got this reply:
“Your question: Can you adjust the speed in each PAS level? The surge to 12 mph in level 1 seems too fast.

Answer: The ultimate top speed of the bike can be adjusted in the control settings, but not the acceleration or speed in each PAS level.”

My Aventon Pace 500 popped up an E-25 error at 316 miles. It’s a brake failure according to the manual, but no brakes have failed. The bike previously had an E-24 error and had the rear hub replaced. What gives.

E-25 probably has to do with the sensing switch in the brake lever so the controller knows to turn the motor off when the brakes are applied. Check the connections at the brakes and the controller and adjust the brake lever out a little and see if that fixes it.

E-25 probably has to do with the sensing switch in the brake lever so the controller knows to turn the motor off when the brakes are applied. Check the connections at the brakes and the controller and adjust the brake lever out a little and see if that fixes it.
I took it to the newly minted Aventon dealer in CM, NJ. They did as you suggested and no joy. However, they are going to call Aventon tomorrow and get some further insight. I also looked at some of the You Tube videos-E25- appears to be common across the Ebike industry. It also seems to support your idea.

I have the Pace 500 LE and I get the E25 code sometime when I first start the bike. Once I start to pedal it goes away. I think it has something to do with my either holding the brake lever and moving the pedal backwards to get a better push of in the start because my driveway is up hill. Not sure but it has not been a problem.

Tried all that , Bill 1031. No joy. So, I borrowed my wife’s Pace 500 and while the gear shifter is OK, the shifter has stopped registering the gear....bike has 150 miles or so.

I spoke with Aventon today and they are replacing my 500 under warranty And fixing my wife’s gear shift indicator.

Anyone hear anything from Aventon about updating the firmware on the 500? I read on another post that they were considering updating the firmware to help with the abrupt jump on the pedal assist. My dad just got one, he's almost 70, and is really worried that the pedal assist at level 1 at 12mph might be too big of a jump for him.

I read that Aventon was thinking about allowing the vendors adjust the PAS so that level 1 could be set at a lower speed. This would be an amazing update. Right now my dad is so worried he's thinking about selling the bike for another one. He's only had it for a week or so.

I saw a post about this a while back from an Aventon dealer but he said the firmware update was going to be for new bikes only, no re-flash update for us.

I saw a post about this a while back from an Aventon dealer but he said the firmware update was going to be for new bikes only, no re-flash update for us.
I think we saw the same post. I pasted it below and added bold/italic. At first, I understood it to mean new bikes, but then when I reread it, I think he meant "future releases" of firmware. Maybe I'm just reading what I want it to read lol, but I'm hoping, it's a future firmware update that will eventually be released, that anyone can update. That would make the most sense in my opinion: as long as there aren't any mechanical changes, why not update pre-existing Aventons?. The discouraging part though is that he wrote that last September and I haven't seen anything written about a firmware release since.

Thanks for being respectful about it. There have been way too many of these types of headlines, and whether I sell the ebike or not, I would likely have still said similar. Btw, Aventon has taken feedback given on this subject seriously, and they plan to change some firmware for future releases,and also plan to provide dealers with ability to adjust each level of assist in terms of speed. Not sure yet when this will be arriving, but this forum will be the first to know. Aventon by far, has been one of the most upstanding and reputable OEMS I have ever dealt with. Their professionalism and responsiveness is unparalleled, and they take customer and dealer feedback very seriously. I had to drop one brand recently because they just were too unprofessional and inconsistent over a 3 year period, and it's ashame because they had a halfway decent product. It's the people behind the product that is most important to me. I take good care of all my customers, and if the people at these firms aren't doing their jobs or listening, or have a bad or immature attitude, then life is too short to allow that to creep into the day to day operations. I'd like to see this forum stay relevant and professional as well.

@Deleted Member 4210 have you heard any updates on the Aventon Pace 500 firmware update? And, would you mind clarifying if the firmware would be for all Aventon Pace bikes on the road today or only new ones being sold after the update? Thanks!

I don’t find the too fast issue to be an issue when I ride. If you get on and it engages, nix it with the hand brake. Yet, being able to program the levels of the PA would be great. I find I pedal faster than 1 and an owner selected level would be great. There are a number of Ebikes that allow this already.

I have Aventon Pace 500 Sport in small frame size. I like the bike.
I have two complaints. The lowest Pedal Assist level PAS 1 is too high at nearly 12mph. Once you pedal the required 1 revolution before assist is activated, the motor quickly accelerates to 12mph in a few seconds. It seems dangerous to be turning slowly and just pedal once and have that high acceleration jolting you forward. The second complaint is no 0 start throttle. You must pedal 1 revolution before the throttle is activated. This is tough starting at a stop light and wanting to get across the street quickly using the throttle but only after that pedal revolution. All my other ebikes I have ridden had the throttle activated from 0 start. I have gotten used to these problems. But I wish Aventon would make this great ebike even better by fixing the two complaints.
I may have a temporary solution that comes from motorcycle control for the high PAS speed and overall better lower speed bike control. Using the rear brake to control speed. But first you must disconnect the wire connector from the right rear brake handle. You can then engage the rear brake in either pedal assist or throttle mode to control your bike in lower speeds. This is a technique that needs to practice. I can now use the Sinch in crowded sidewalks and technical off road environments to easily overcome bumps, roots, and rocks at low speeds. Be sure not to start technique at high speeds and you must continue using power, not allowing power to dis-engage, balance the power and rear brake.

I also want to comment on how much the above issue of high PAS and no throttle at start truly limits riding in many environments and causes unsafe conditions by limiting bike control. Also throttle should be able to be used to overtake PAS and then return to PAS when done.

A solution to the high PAS issue I’m using is setting the wheel size down to the minimum which I think is 16”, obviously this throws off the speedo,odo etc readouts but it’s a worthwhile trade for me. Haven’t gps’d speed but just guesstimating from riding along with another bike I’d say it drops the first PAS level to about 7 or 8 mph, much better for more leisurely paced rides.
With the way the power comes on though it’s best to just drop gears and ride it like a normal bicycle if you need to do any tight maneuvering.

Last edited:
Thanks 3bot. I didn't try that as I suspected it wouldn't work on my Level, but will give it a shot. Seems a shame to have to resort to a kludge, butAventon apparently doesn't see this as an issue worthy of any attention. Conflicting info on the matter doesn't help.

Thanks 3bot. I didn't try that as I suspected it wouldn't work on my Level, but will give it a shot. Seems a shame to have to resort to a kludge, butAventon apparently doesn't see this as an issue worthy of any attention. Conflicting info on the matter doesn't help.
To be fair to Aventon though they do clearly advertise it as a “commuter” bicycle. And I would expect someone who is commuting by bicycle to be in good enough shape to pedal themselves if they need lower speeds. It’s definitely set up well for long stretches of higher speeds.

To be fair to Aventon though they do clearly advertise it as a “commuter” bicycle. And I would expect someone who is commuting by bicycle to be in good enough shape to pedal themselves if they need lower speeds. It’s definitely set up well for long stretches of higher speeds.
Your point is well-taken and I probably should have chosen a Class 2 bike instead for the areas I typically ride in (paved bike paths shared with joggers, dog walkers and golf carts). I've done some more research and it appears that there are settings in the M5 display (although I am not positive who makes it) that permit adjusting the force used in each PAS level. These go all the way up to a designation of P20. (There's a thread on this forum about the M5 display.) It appears these have been locked out by Aventon, but maybe a dealer knows how to get into them. I would prefer, for example, that the bike power on with PAS at 0, which appears to be possible as well as setting the amount of boost for each PAS level. If I could find a plug-compatible replacement (the Level version uses 5-pin Julet connector but has the throttle control hard-wired) I'd buy it just so I could get at these additional settings.

I just purchased a Pace 500 from the large sporting goods store, Decathlon, in Emeryville, in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've put about 200 miles on the bike, mainly hills and mixed terrain. I really love the bike so far, and do notice the powerful start when the motor triggers, but I've gotten used to it, and like someone else mentioned, I keep my brake lever lightly pulled when I start from a stop, then let it off when I'm up to speed. It hasn't been a problem, but there was a learning curve.

To my question: I've had a few issues that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced.
1. Throttle stopped working: my throttle has stopped working after only using it for less than 5 miles total. I barely used the throttle, and only on flat sections of road. Anyone else experienced the throttle not working? I know it begins to engage with pedaling, so that is not the issue..
2. Battery very difficult to remove: kinda self-explanatory, but I have to pull excessively hard to remove the battery. And since one hand is keeping the battery unlocked for removal, I practically give myself a charlie horse every time the battery finally releases. Anyone else have this issue?
3. A kick of power after motor disengages: when I stop pedaling in any pedal assist level, the motor stops working for the briefest moment and then turns on briefly, creating a strange "kicking" effect. It's annoying.

Anyone else experience any of these issues, and have any suggestions before I bring it back to Decathlon for possible warranty repair and worse...being w/out my bike for who knows how long?

Thanks!

Back