Known Issues & Problems with Aventon Products + Help, Solutions, & Fixes

Bluetooth connection between app and bike works now. I cleared the cash, then cleared the memory in the app. Then I deleted the app. Finally, I reinstalled the app from the Google Play store. The app took right off and connected to the bike. Looks like I had the old app on my phone. Problem one of two - FIXED!

Last edited:
Bluetooth connection between app and bike works now. I cleared the cash, then cleared the memory in the app. Then I deleted the app. Finally, I reinstalled the app from the Google Play store. The app took right off and connected to the bike. Looks like I had the old app on my phone. Problem one of two - FIXED!
I'm glad you got it sorted out. It seems you went about it logically. After spending some time riding, consider posting your thoughts regarding the Aventure. I have just over 300 miles on my newly purchased Level, and since ordering it, the Aventure was released. I may consider it as a second bike for my visitors, vagabonds, and guests...

After a couple of weeks trying to get my Level's battery charging issue resolved, my local bike shop where I purchased the bike took matters into their own hands and I'm extremely grateful to them. From my previous posting of April 29 and an update on May 8, I described (as best as I understood it at the time) the problem I encountered after about 4 months and 1000 miles of riding. In short, the battery would not take a charge even though the charger and the control display indicated the battery was fully charged. At first I thought I may have damaged the connections by not carefully installing the battery after charging it off the bike. As it turned out, the problem was with the charging port on the bike. My local shop worked with Aventon to try to resolve the issue, and Aventon indicated they had seen a similar problem with about 20 other bikes (not sure if they were all Levels). The guy working on my bike discussed with Aventon the fact that there's no way to adjust some of the electrical contact points on the bike, and vibration could get things out of alignment enough to prevent full contact. He suggested to Aventon that they should make a design change for the future that would allow for minor adjustments if the problem crops up. Aventon apparently agreed it might be an issue that they'll have to address in the near future. In any event, after over 2 weeks in the shop and no clear resolution of the problem, my local shop did an amazing thing and swapped my Level out for an identical brand new one they had in stock! If that doesn't speak well for patronizing your local bike shop, I don't know what does. Hopefully, given that only about 20 known cases of this issue have been reported to Aventon, I hope my new Level will not have the same problem. If anyone has experienced the same charging issue I had, hopefully Aventon will make good on their warranty.

I have a PACE 500. Last week I hit a pothole and the power went out. I turned the battery off/on, and things seemed fine, but now I keep seeing the following problems (some at unpredictable times, some reproducible):
* when turning on the bike in the morning (with a fully charged battery), the console blinks and shows zero bars - no power at any level. Switching the console off/on still shows zero bars, but now there is power. Switching the battery off/on shows full bar, with power.
*At one particular traffic light on my commute (but now always), when I get a green light, the console still shows full power, but there is no motor boost. Turning the battery off/on fixes things for a while.
* at unpredictable times, it feels like the power assist is less. When I lower L5 to L0 and then back up, the fact that there is a problem is confirmed because the engine won't kick back in. Turning the battery off/on fixes things for a while.

I tried removing/reseating the battery, and pushing in the connection to the sensor at the pedal.
Seems like a sensor fail, given that turning the battery off/on temporarily resets the bike.

Any suggestions?

I was going to order a Level online but happened to get lucky with my local Aventon authorized bike shop, they had just recieved a few extra bikes in, and had one available Level which I immediately scooped up. Even though it was $100 more than the online price, I was actually happy to have the extra comfort and support in buying from a qualified bike shop. They assembled the bike for me, with a couple of slight mods, and I had the bike much sooner than if I had ordered online.

The upside (if you can call it that) came when I brought the bike home to take it on it's maiden voyage... the gear on rear tire kept intermittently spinning seizing up or spinning slightly backwards, causing the chain to come off. (Note to self and all... always test ride the bike before taking it home!) Anyway, I brought it back to the shop, they tried to fix the issue but determined it was a bad motor/gear/something or other. So they contacted Aventon and had a whole new rear tire assembly shipped out. Not overnight, but OK...

So while I am bummed that I have yet to ride my new bike, I was very grateful for the support provided by the shop. I am certain had this happened from an online purchase, the troubleshooting / replacement process would have been much more complicated and problematic. Another big plus for purchasing through and supporting your LBS.

Welcome moon doggie to EBR. Good story for all those who do not buy from your LBS. Sometimes it cost a bit more, but when you need help, the bike shop will go to bat for you, and usually the company will respond in kind. Good luck with your new bike and ride safe and responsibly.

Reactions: JVD
Quick update... Aventon believes the Aventure speedometer issue is a problem with the motor. They sent a new motor. I will update later.
The replacement motor solved the speedometer issue. Replacement was relatively easy. Now the bike meets or exceeds manufacturer specifications.

Adjustment of the rear hydraulic brake was a bit tedious, but with some patience it works fine now.

The bike is a real pleasure to ride with lots of power. I do a routine 17 mile round-trip ride several times a week at pedal level 2 and 3. It uses only 7% of the battery charge for the trip. I replaced the seat with a Bikeroo seat and a Redshift suspension seat post (requires a 27.2 mm to 30.4 mm seatpost shim - I used a Cane Creek shim). I changed the seat post clamp to an Origin8 Pro-force quick release unit because the new post kept sliding down after adding the shim.

I also installed a Fomtor 31.8 mm adjustable stem for the handlebars (the headlight clamp had to be relocated off center - break lever, gear shift and throttle had to be removed and reinstalled). The Fomtor allowed the handle bars to be raised; and that stopped all hand numbness from the factory setup.

I added a Heolien 2031 Super Bike Horn to alert the headphone Zombies when on the pedestrian/bike trail.

I just received my Aventon Aventure Stepthrough. It has great power and rides nice. There is an App that is supposed to work with the bike. It looks like it pairs OK with the QR picture, but whenever I attempt to use the App I get a message on my smart phone to turn on Bluetooth. Bluetooth is on in the phone, but there seems to be no place to turn it on in the bike display. Any ideas?

Additionally, I took it for its first ride, 20 miles. For the first couple miles, the speedometer and odometer read correctly, then they began to only read 50% or 60% of actual speed and distance. The bike would pedal to 28 mph, but the speedometer only read about 15 mph. Battery started out at 98% and ended at 48% after the ride. I disconnected and reconnected the motor and display cables, but that did not help. The display shows 26"x4" tires. Any ideas?

I am waiting for a response from Aventon. Will post more info after I hear back from them. Hope it is something simple.
I'm having the same problem. I think a later post from you says it's a motor problem. That's what the guys at my bike shop told me as well. May be a while for it to get fixed tho, seems like Aventon is swamped with calls these days.

Would love to know what else you learn.

I'm having the same problem. I think a later post from you says it's a motor problem. That's what the guys at my bike shop told me as well. May be a while for it to get fixed tho, seems like Aventon is swamped with calls these days.

Would love to know what else you learn.
I think the problem with the speedometer was temperature sensitive Hall Effect transister(s) in the motor. The replacement motor solved the issue. It brought on another problem: during acceleration, the rear brake rubs. After a half hour of riding, that problem goes away. I think the spring in the brake may be a little weak or the calipers are sticking in the housing until the brakes heat up. When I get a chance, I will take the brakes apart to see what might be the problem. Other than that annoyance, the bike is working well.

I think the problem with the speedometer was temperature sensitive Hall Effect transister(s) in the motor. The replacement motor solved the issue. It brought on another problem: during acceleration, the rear brake rubs. After a half hour of riding, that problem goes away. I think the spring in the brake may be a little weak or the calipers are sticking in the housing until the brakes heat up. When I get a chance, I will take the brakes apart to see what might be the problem. Other than that annoyance, the bike is working well.
So, turns out I was the culprit. While playing around with the speedometer settings one day, I inadvertently changed the wheel circumference from 27.5 to 16 without realizing it.

Well, that's embarrassing...

I'm new to this site and don't see a place to ask my question apart from this "post reply" space. (I thought I posted this question but don't find it among my "content.") Anyway, I have a month-old Pace 500 which I love. However, I have a hard time removing the battery from the bike, having to use my hand to smack it to get it off. If I keep this up, I'm going to bruise my hand. Any suggestions?

I have a PACE 500. Last week I hit a pothole and the power went out. I turned the battery off/on, and things seemed fine, but now I keep seeing the following problems (some at unpredictable times, some reproducible):
* when turning on the bike in the morning (with a fully charged battery), the console blinks and shows zero bars - no power at any level. Switching the console off/on still shows zero bars, but now there is power. Switching the battery off/on shows full bar, with power.
*At one particular traffic light on my commute (but now always), when I get a green light, the console still shows full power, but there is no motor boost. Turning the battery off/on fixes things for a while.
* at unpredictable times, it feels like the power assist is less. When I lower L5 to L0 and then back up, the fact that there is a problem is confirmed because the engine won't kick back in. Turning the battery off/on fixes things for a while.

I tried removing/reseating the battery, and pushing in the connection to the sensor at the pedal.
Seems like a sensor fail, given that turning the battery off/on temporarily resets the bike.

Any suggestions?
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same problems.

I recently purchased an Aventon Sinch for my e-Bike tour business (8/25/21). I needed a back-up e-bike for my custom Fat Woody cruisers, for less experienced riders. I was really surprised by the throttle surge issue and that Aventon seems to be ignoring the issue? I love the bike, but that’s a serious safety issue!

I also noticed my Sinch works differently than described. When PAS is set to zero, my manual throttle does not work period. If I set PAS to 1, my manual throttle works from a dead stop. Same for PAS 2-5. The throttle is nearly binary in operation vs. progressive like the bikes I build. Super twitchy and hot.

I know they have an upgrade to get active throttle from a dead stop, but mine actually has it operational? I’ve adjusted the speed (P5 Setting to 22), but the lack of progressive throttle/power application stinks. I considered a voltage divider on the throttle sensor, but also considering a throttle with better resolution or longer throw for more progressive sensitivity. Has any tried to resolve this since Aventon is in denial?

Back