Known Issues & Problems with Aventon Products + Help, Solutions, & Fixes

I have a touch of a pedal lag on the down stroke when in my PA. No big deal because it doesn't happen during fast peddling, but wondering if that's common with Pace 500 (Aventon)

I recently sent this question to Aventon and got this reply:
“Your question: Can you adjust the speed in each PAS level? The surge to 12 mph in level 1 seems too fast.

Answer: The ultimate top speed of the bike can be adjusted in the control settings, but not the acceleration or speed in each PAS level.”
They might have fixed this problem. On my new Pace 350 with the TOD controller I reduced the indicated top speed to 30 kph and Level 1 dropped to a more leisure 7 mph.

I have a touch of a pedal lag on the down stroke when in my PA. No big deal because it doesn't happen during fast peddling, but wondering if that's common with Pace 500 (Aventon)
So bikes with cadence sensors measure peddle rotation, then when the rotation test is met, power is applied based on the PAS setting. Typically the set amount of rotation before activation is 1/2 to 1 rotation. That is the "lag." If PAS is 1 you get 20% power, 2 is 40%, 3 is 60%, etc. When you stop peddling, after a second or two timeout, the motor stops. Brakes kill the motor instantly.

So motor control is not that precise. The problem I have is with others, because it always seems I'm going too fast, or too slow. Its hard to go an exact speed. On bikes with a torque sensor, it's better because power is based on how hard you are peddling, but you need to work a bit for the motor to start. But it does feel more natural than a cadence sensor, which only knows peddling or not peddling.

So bikes with cadence sensors measure peddle rotation, then when the rotation test is met, power is applied based on the PAS setting. Typically the set amount of rotation before activation is 1/2 to 1 rotation. That is the "lag." If PAS is 1 you get 20% power, 2 is 40%, 3 is 60%, etc. When you stop peddling, after a second or two timeout, the motor stops. Brakes kill the motor instantly.

So motor control is not that precise. The problem I have is with others, because it always seems I'm going too fast, or too slow. Its hard to go an exact speed. On bikes with a torque sensor, it's better because power is based on how hard you are peddling, but you need to work a bit for the motor to start. But it does feel more natural than a cadence sensor, which only knows peddling or not peddling.
All that "peddling" when you should be "pedaling." lol

Ordered a new Pace 500 step-through next gen bike for my wife on 4/11 and received it on 4/18, pretty quick. Put it together this afternoon and ran into a few minor issues (stem adjustment, disk brake adjustment, chain lube, battery care). Got on the Aventon support chat, waited for an agent for 5-10 min, then listed my questions and asked for a telephone call from a technician. The tech called me back in about 20 min, then he spent 20 min on the phone answering all my questions. Did not have time to ride much today because I followed his instructions to fully charge the battery before turning on the bike for the first time.

I see others are frustrated with Aventon support. Maybe I just got lucky, but I got good help from a knowledgable technician. Start with chat and ask for phone support if you have complex issues. Nothing beats the support you get at local bike shops, but you pay less with a direct to consumer approach.

Hi all, I have a Pace 500 and it is a love-hate relationship. I am wondering if anyone else has some thoughts.

My problem is not the low gears but the high ones. If I am on level ground and want to maintain a 25 mph plus speed, I have to pedal like a madman. I need 2 more gears so I can pedal at a normal pace and maintain speed. Is there any way I can add a gear or change gears?

Second, my kickstand does not keep the bike anywhere near upright, and it falls over every time I try to use it. I don't see any way to adjust it. I guess I can just get a new one.

I curse the bike every time I ride it because I need a higher gear. But it looks like a lot of electric bikes have 2 speeds. What is up with that?

Hi all, I have a Pace 500 and it is a love-hate relationship. I am wondering if anyone else has some thoughts.

My problem is not the low gears but the high ones. If I am on level ground and want to maintain a 25 mph plus speed, I have to pedal like a madman. I need 2 more gears so I can pedal at a normal pace and maintain speed. Is there any way I can add a gear or change gears?

Second, my kickstand does not keep the bike anywhere near upright, and it falls over every time I try to use it. I don't see any way to adjust it. I guess I can just get a new one.

I curse the bike every time I ride it because I need a higher gear. But it looks like a lot of electric bikes have 2 speeds. What is up with that?
On the rear, if the smallest gear isn't already an 11 tooth, you can buy a cassette or cartridge with an 11t small gear. On the front, if you have room, you can buy a ring gear with more teeth to do the same thing.

If your kickstand has a plastic lower, look on the back side of that plastic piece to see a set screw, that when loosened will allow the ideal length you're after. Be VERY careful when tightening that screw, as it's easily stripped....

Many eBikes do seem like this. The gearing is so you have a chance of getting home if the batteries die. Not really a good bike to ride fast for exercise.

2 speeds? I have never seen a two-speed bike or e-bike. Anyway, my 700 has a 45T chainring and the smallest cog on the cassette is 11T. I think it's geared plenty high enough. You might need to change your gearing to your preference.

I ride in PAS 0 a lot (no power assist), but I'm still in the higher gears most of the time.

hey yall im thinking about buying a aventon sinch step through but I dont like the couple seconds delay of the pedal assist and throttle when i test rode it. I find this very annoying, is there any fix for this?

This is a significant limitation of the cadence sensor used on these bikes. You may be able to get used to the way that the motor just kicks on and off after moving the pedals certain amount, or you may want to move on and try bikes that have a torque sensor rather than a cadence sensor to control the motor.

hey yall im thinking about buying a aventon sinch step through but I dont like the couple seconds delay of the pedal assist and throttle when i test rode it. I find this very annoying, is there any fix for this?
Good on you for asking this question BEFORE buying. I would say if anyone would know, or be in the best position to find out for you, it would be the dealer.

BTW, I wouldn't like that delay either, especially on the throttle....

I doubt it. There are delays with assist level changes on my Ride1Up 700 of a couple seconds or so. A bit annoying, but I just try to make my changes in anticipation of that. A minor issue in the grand scheme of things. Note, this has nothing to do with starting to pedal or moving the pedals any certain amount as I'm already pedaling pretty much the full time as I change PAS levels.

When did you test ride it?

Aventon posted some change to their software/controller for this over a year ago that might address your concern.

This week we’re proud to announce two modifications to our electric bikes thanks to the feedback from many of our loyal customers. On Monday, March 1st, you will be able to buy a version of any of your favorite Aventon models with a modified controller that changes how both the throttle and pedal assist -levels 1 and 2- behave. In addition, our customers will have the option to choose between the original version (which we are calling "Throttle After Pedal") or the modified version (which we are calling "Throttle On-Demand").

Before, the throttle wouldn't work unless you started pedaling, now it does.

And the assist at PAS 1 or 2 is not as abrupt as it used to be.

I just got a Soltera but haven't ridden it enough to see if there was a delay... I'll check later this week.

When did you test ride it?

Aventon posted some change to their software/controller for this over a year ago that might address your concern.

Before, the throttle wouldn't work unless you started pedaling, now it does.

And the assist at PAS 1 or 2 is not as abrupt as it used to be.

I just got a Soltera but haven't ridden it enough to see if there was a delay... I'll check later this week.
Last week at a local bike shop

This is a significant limitation of the cadence sensor used on these bikes. You may be able to get used to the way that the motor just kicks on and off after moving the pedals certain amount, or you may want to move on and try bikes that have a torque sensor rather than a cadence sensor to control the motor.
Yeah I tried a hyperscorpion the other day and I barely peddled and it accelerated quickly to 22mph

Yeah I tried a hyperscorpion the other day and I barely peddled and it accelerated quickly to 22mph
I have to wonder what PAS level you were in when that happened? Speed based PAS systems will do that, but if you were in PAS 1, typically that speed would have been 10-12mph.

I believe I was in s mode I'm guessing that was 5. Or are you talking about on the aventon
Nope, talking about the Hyperscorpion in the quote above my comment.

If you were in "S" (sport?) mode, in PAS 5, you were asking the bike for it's maximum performance - which it delivered by the sounds of things.

If you were wanting/expecting something a little more sedate, maybe try the economy setting if it has one, and PAS 1.

I believe I was in s mode I'm guessing that was 5. Or are you talking about on the aventon
Then you shouldn't have been surprised it went a faster when you pedelled pedaled vs. comparing to the lowest PAS level on other bikes. The point is that someone normally doesn't want that much speed/acceleration in the lowest PAS.

Back