Keyhole dirt contamination

Dorkyman

Region
USA
Bought two of the XP step-throughs last month and we are enjoying them very much.

One topic that often comes up is the location of the battery keyhole. It's at the very bottom on the bike, which makes it hard to see while inserting the key. I've resorted to just leaving the thing on unless the bike were to be unused for weeks, as I think the current draw is minimal.

Another reported issue is possible key damage if the bike is folded. So far neither of my two bikes gives any indication of pressure on the key from the cable harness as the bike folds, but perhaps on some bikes the harness is much tighter.

Finally, on our two bikes there is a tendency for dirt and splashed water to enter the hole in the frame and over time all that contamination could affect the key mechanism. It would be nice for Lectric to fit a slotted rubber plug that would eliminate most of that contamination. What I've done in the interim is to place a 2"x2" piece of duct tape directly over the keyhole, and then slicing a slit fore-and-aft with a utility knife in the tape. In this way, once a key is inserted and then turned on there will be little chance for contamination to get inside. It's easy to place the tape if you first flip the bike upside-down. I happened to have black duct tape for this purpose, but even generic gray tape won't be easily seen in actual use since it's on the bottom of the frame anyway.

I thought I heard that leaving the pedals in the wrong position could damage the key when folding the bike. Still waiting for two Black Friday bundle step thrus to ship so I can't readily check that... Perhaps someone out there has knowledge?

Back