Lectric XP 2.0 Reviews

RickyBikes

Region
USA
The Lectric XP 2.0 is an affordable entry-level folding eBike from one of the fastest growing eBike brands in North America since their inception in 2019. This is the second generation of the enormously popular XP. Like the original XP, the 2.0 is available in black or white and as either a mid-step or step-through model. The low stand-over height on either model makes it an approachable eBike. Although it looks nearly identical to the original XP, the 2.0 has a few upgraded features and still maintains an affordable price at $999.00.

Highlights of this model include the variable front oil suspension, a slightly smaller tire, wider handlebars, IP-65 water and dust resistant electrical components, and additional mounting points for baskets, mirrors, locks, or other accessories. Here's their official website www.lectricebikes.com and I'd love to hear your thoughts below, especially if you own the Lectric XP 2.0 or plan to buy it!

While I haven't reviewed this electric bike myself, I have covered similar eBikes (you can also find Court’s review of the original Lectric XP here) and I wanted to provide some insights and open things up for your feedback. I hope providing several sources, with varying perspectives, allows everyone to come to their own conclusions. Sometimes short reviews and those created by shops only cover the good aspects and can come off like a commercial, so I've tried to be neutral and objective with these insights:

Pros – things that stand out as good:

• I’ve got to hand it to the Lectric team, the biggest trade-off on the original XP was the lack of front suspension forks. They listened to their customers and outfitted the XP 2.0 with variable front oil suspension. The original XP had 4” fat-tires, which can offset some of the need for front and rear suspension and still provide a comfortable ride, but with this model they’ve accounted for the weight of the added suspension forks by providing slightly smaller 3” plus-sized tires. Those smaller tires can provide a little more agility, faster acceleration, and slightly better hill climbing capabilities than fat-tires.
  • Like its predecessor, the 2.0 comes fully assembled with free shipping and ready to ride which for new riders is an invaluable luxury. It also offers the same generous 330lb max payload capacity. I like that the rear load capacity has also increased to a 75lb max load from 55lbs.
  • The 2.0 sports larger handlebars than the previous generation while maintaining that nice ergonomic grip to add comfort to the ride. Pair this with the adjustable stem, seat post, and suspension forks, and it allows for a greater variety of riders despite the bike coming in only one frame size. As someone 6’3 with a 6’5 wingspan, this a great added feature.
  • For such an inexpensive bike, Lectric provides a tested, warranty supported motor and takes care of their customers. Providing a 1-year comprehensive warranty and great customer support is rare for bikes on this cheaper end of the spectrum. I particularly like the display – it’s nice and visible even in daylight, and the energy bar has ten ticks, so it's going to be a more precise gauge
  • Battery is high quality cells (LG), fully inside the frame which protects it, yet also removable when the frame is folded. Really great feature and a lot of folding bikes in this price range have either non-removable batteries, or batteries awkwardly mounted somewhere outside on the frame. Many cheaper bikes sacrifice battery capacity and quality, which makes them attractive for first purchase but then you have to spend hundreds of $ later down the road to replace a battery that probably requires a special expert to service.

Cons – things that seem like trade-offs or negatives:

• This bike is steel, which means it’s sturdy and quiet, but the tradeoff is that 1) it’s a heavier folding bike (63lbs) and 2) if it gets scratched or dinged then it might require a glossy paint touch-up to prevent rusting.
  • The 2.0 still uses some lower-end components. For example, it has the entry-level Shimano Tourney derailleur, a 7-gear freewheel rather than a more durable free hub and cassette, 160mm Tektro mechanical brakes (mechanical disc brakes require more maintenance and grip strength compared to hydraulic brakes). The tradeoff comes down to the price point. Considering this is such an affordable bike, some of the compromise is found in those components. It still produces 60Nm of torque and both brake levers have motor inhibitors. All things considered, the nice display, battery, integrated lights, motor inhibitors, and cadence sensor are all areas where you shouldn’t want to compromise, and Lectric did a nice job of finding a balance between utility and value.
  • This is a bit of a trade-off, but at the bottom of the downtube one must insert a key at the bottom of the battery and turn it to arm the bike and ride it. It’s in a slightly awkward position if you’re an older, taller, or less mobile rider. The key will dangle under you as you ride, so if you had a keychain or other keys attached, it’s possible they could interfere with your feet or hit the pedals as you ride. It is a nice security feature, however, considering the bike won’t be tampered with without the key.
  • It would be nice if this bike had USB ports for charging a phone, a small stereo or additional lights. When you receive your bike, it is automatically set to a Class 2 setting (capping out at 20mph). You can manually program the bike to run as a Class 3 (capping out at 28mph) but you must do so through the display. This requires holding down both the up and down arrows for several seconds, and then combing through twenty different menus to do so. It’s a little convoluted process, but considering that you can switch between a Class 2 and a Class 3, it’s just a tradeoff.
  • Still no sidewall striping on the tires or reflectors on the spokes. On the black model this means very low side visibility. The white one is better for folks riding at night or with lots of traffic.
  • This is an online only bike, meaning 1) no way to test ride before buying, and 2) no dealer support for maintenance or warranty repairs. Yes, Lectric does have a great reputation for support, but the process is still much more hassle than being able to just take the bike into your local Trek or Giant dealer.

As always, I welcome feedback and additions to these pros and cons, especially from people who have tried or own the bike. If you see other great video reviews for the Lectric XP 2.0, please share them and I may update this post ongoing so we can get the best perspectives and insights.

Last edited:
I get a kick that the word affordable is used and not cheap or low end. It sounds better I guess.
I would think it depends on ones needs. How many more trouble free miles would one expect to get from a $200,000 Lamborghini than a $20,000 Kia Soul? I think I remember seeing an Ebike selling for $10,000 somewhere when I was looking for my first. Would it last 10 times as long as an XP?

I get a kick that the word affordable is used and not cheap or low end. It sounds better I guess.
for me, cheap or low end refers to quality of the product, while affordability refers to cost.
not all less expensive things are bad. there’s value to be found in things that don’t cost as much as other options. also think you can have an expensive bike that’s still “cheap” or “low end” in terms of quality or spec.

not saying its bad but it is a very cheap low quality bike no matter how you call it. I buy cheap sometimes and it makes sense but I never think its a superior product.

i think the Lectric holds true to what i’ve read the brand was shooting for, a less expensive (affordable?) entry level experience into the ebike world. Majority of ebikes i see in shops around me start in the $2000 range and go way up from there, i don’t see much in the way of sub-$1000 options except for the VERY low priced offerings.

bikes are interesting in that they are inherently modular, yes i agree some of the components are more entry level, mechanical discs, derailleur, freewheel, even the fact that it’s a hub motor is a compromise but i like the price point a lot and for someone with reasonable tools and ability can upgrade most of the components that have been selected to keep initial cost down pretty easily.

as a turn-key package i think most users, without any modding, have been pretty happy with how it performs out of the box. But bike culture is also driven by customization ano personalization and regardless of how a bike is equipped or what it’s cost is, passionate enthusiasts will still pursue aftermarket upgrading, personalization and adaptation to suit their specific needs... so i don’t take the modding that has been done to other Lectric XPs as a sign the OG version is flawed, as much as i take it as the XP is a good entry level platform out of the box and also for modding and upgrading. to each their own.

I think the Friend ebike is also very interesting, similar in many ways to Lectric down to the folding frame and fat tires but differing in a few ways with full suspension and a few other features. it comes in a few hundred above Lectric so it’s not like we don’t have options in the marketplace, even if Lectric doesn’t have 100% of what we are seeking.

I doubt there is enough profit in selling such cheap bikes in a LBS. The warranty issues and maintenance would kill any profit. I could see walmart selling them of course.

Now I find Lectrics a blast for exercise. not from riding them but from passing them by putting out 400 or more watts in passing them and getting my heart racing (G) you can hear an lectric from a ways off.

Now I find Lectrics a blast for exercise. not from riding them but from passing them by putting out 400 or more watts in passing them and getting my heart racing (G) you can hear an lectric from a ways off.
If my legs can still put out 400 watts, without my knees falling apart, I will still be racing up hills against buses like I used to do on an analog bike. Alas, that was then and this is now.

If my legs can still put out 400 watts, without my knees falling apart, I will still be racing up hills against buses like I used to do on an analog bike. Alas, that was then and this is now.
I am really suprised I can. when I first started riding while really sick I averaged 100 watts at most. even as I got better 400 was almost impossible. Now I can do it as needed. Once on an not too steep hill passing I got to 600 watts. felt great. once in awhile on a super steep slope I have gotten that on the tandem. but it is a short lived exertion for sure.

if someone only has less then a 1000 to spend I will tell them about lectric it seems the best deal at that price. or maybe the best support. at that price you have amazon and no brand name bikes with no support.

not saying its bad but it is a very cheap low quality bike no matter how you call it. I buy cheap sometimes and it makes sense but I never think its a superior product.
It's definitely lower quality compared to a lot of more expensive ebikes, but I think Lectric does a good job of balancing quality and cost. I think the "cheap" vs "affordable" discussion comes down to the difference between "poor quality" and "lower quality than more premium options." It will probably feel "cheap" for anyone who has ridden a nice mid-drive and can compare them. First-time ebikers will enjoy a Lectric XP much more... and anyone who only has $1,000 to spend, since most ebikes at that price point are what I would truly consider cheap or poor quality.

I just wondered as you have had nothing positive to say about them on a thread about reviews for them. I see humble brag.
for the price it's about the best you're going to get. I admit that. but it is not a great bike by any means. The longevity is pretty doubtful but most people that buy them that may be just fine.

I am an RV’er and wanted a bike that is foldable and affordable (some say cheap) as space is precious in an rv. I know there are much better and more expensive bikes on the market, however, that doesn’t fit my needs. I don’t see myself riding it everyday, so believe it will last awhile.

I thought a cool looking 4" fat tire folding bike was something that was a good fit for me. I was wrong on both counts. I rarely fold the bike anymore, and frankly a 27.5" tire rolls over the terrain much easier than a 20" tire. Its just a fact of physics. Ever ride in a car with 16" wheels...then ride in one with 22" wheels. Yeah. Its pretty obvious. Also there is absolutely nothing agile about a 4" fat tire. Nothing. I don't ride in snow or sand...so they really don't make much sense truth be told. The Lectric is a great under $1000 FOLDING eBike.

However my next eBike will be a non-folding, city-cruiser style 27.5 or 29" tire ebike...Like an Aerial Rider (Rideal), or a Rad Power Rad-Mission, or a Ride 1 Up Roadster v2. These are all in that $1000 mark, and they make more sense for my style of riding and they all are quality companies which I would not have any issues with. The Lectric served its purpose however.

I thought a cool looking 4" fat tire folding bike was something that was a good fit for me. I was wrong on both counts.

Yup. So was I. I didn't want to wait for the delayed Lectric, so I bought a 48V Ecotric fat folder. Nothing wrong with the bike per se, but I realized pretty quickly that something like this is more akin to a Moped than a bike. I found it nearly impossible to peddle without PAS or throttle (which I never wanted to begin with) but handling was the real Achilles heel.
As far as Lectric is concerned, the switch to 3 inch tires sounds like a very welcome move, even though that less-is-more benefit will likely be lost on first time ebike buyers.

Last edited:
Some details on my black standard XP 2.0, no extras ordered:

Battery took about 3 hours to charge.

Tires are CST Patrol 20x3.0, inflate to 30 PSI. Look like pretty generic fat knobby tires. Delivered with a smidge of air in them.

Standard seat is by Chaunts, Lectric-branded, about 11 inches long by 8 inches wide. Similar-ish to this one on Amazon but not as nice. My guess is that it's really this one on Aliexpress, different brand but looks identical.

Handlebars are 25" wide straight across tip to tip, with a small "U" bend in the middle third. They appear to be 1" / 25.4mm diameter at the center, and the handlebar clamp has a separate top piece held down with 2 bolts, so replacement should be relatively simple. The bars are too flat for my tastes, and I will likely replace them with cruiser or citybike style ones that have more backsweep and which allow a more upright riding position.

I agree with all other reviewers, the placement of the battery key is deeply stupid. It is directly above the main cables going to the back of the bike, and makes insertion of the key a genuine hassle. Other than that, the bike looks amazing so far.

Aired up the tires to 28 PSI and went for the first ride. This was a weekend test ride from home to work to see if the bike would be usable for commuting. It tnvolved busy urban streets, crowded bike trails, and a two significant hills.
  • Seat proved to be moderately comfy, but only moderately. Ordered a Cloud 9 seat and Satori seat post to replace it.
  • I'm not a fan of the pedals. My shoes grip them a bit but not a lot.
    • I somehow managed to fold up the right pedal while taking off from a curb and almost fell off the bike.
    • I'll likely replace them with good old non-folding rat traps. Scratched shins are better than surprises.
  • Brakes work extremely well, as demonstrated when a car pulled out from the curb directly in front of me. They do make a small rubbing noise, which I'll look into.
  • My intent was to glide to work, letting the bike do all the hard stuff, then sweat and pedal going home. But dang those hills got steeper going home and ... I just let the bike do almost all the work.
  • I tried the throttle a few times, but mostly stuck with pedal assist, PAS level 1 or 2.
  • Using PAS reminds me a lot of driving an old 70's car with a turbo. Much feeble pedaling them BAM the PAS kicks in.
    • PAS is very tricky to use in stop-start urban settings with lots of stoplights, pedestrians, strollers, etc.
    • I ended up setting it to 0 a couple of times just so it wouldn't kick in halfway through a crosswalk.
  • The top speed limit for the entire ride was 20 MPH, and was 15 MPH for much of the ride. A combo of second gear and PAS 2 worked well for the relatively empty stretches and first gear / PAS 1 or PAS 0 for all the crowded and stop-start bits.
  • Voltage went from 54 down to 50 over the course of the ride, around 6 miles.
  • There are small bike lockers available outside near work. The bike just barely fit inside one with the handlebars down. Keeping the bike out of the weather and not needing to worry about locks or keys while at work is a huge win.
Overall, the bike worked well, and it seems like it'll be a good commuting option. As people say, it makes hills disappear. I'm glad I bought it.

Update 8/14/2021:

I'm continuing to enjoy riding the bike, and using it to commute to work. 50+ miles on the odometer.

The Cloud 9 seat and Satori "pogo stick" seat post significantly increase riding comfort and are well worth the money. I replaced the (9/16" threaded) folding pedals with $10 Blackburn universal nylon traps from WalMart. I've had a lot of luck over the years with these, they are grippy and tough.

Still getting used to starting the bike from a curb at an intersection. First gear and PAS 0 or 1 are needed, but the small heavy wheels take a little longer to stabilize than on a standard road or mountain bike. The bike is wobbly and tippy at low speed, so the objective is to get it moving quickly, either by stomping on the pedals or via PAS or throttle. In heavy urban traffic, simply getting off the bike and walking it is sometimes best. Once it gets going though, it's a pretty happy camper, very easy to ride and predictable.

Had to charge the battery twice so far, both times when the voltage started to drop below 43V, just over 20 miles range each time. I'm a heavy rider and use PAS 1 or more likely 2 on pretty much all hills, so 20 mile range is better than expected.

One thing I've realized is that this is not an ideal bike for going on a long unplanned ride. If the battery gets low, is definitely possible to pedal the bike unpowered, but it's not something I'd want to do for more than a few blocks, especially uphill. I had to cut a meandering weekend ride short in order to get the bike home--a few miles over hills--before the battery dropped too far. It was flirting with 42.6V just blocks from home.

It got me thinking about how to get a heavy, expensive, bulky bike home if the battery, motor, controller--something that is beyond roadside repair--dies. My basic plan is to walk it to someplace that I can either hide it or where it is highly visible, pull the battery, lock the bike up, Uber home, get the car, retrieve the bike. The plan is NOT to just try to muscle the bike home. That's an option for skinny 20-year-olds but not for an old fart like me. When I get tired and/or hot, I get sloppy, and this is a bike that can quickly turn sloppy decisions into worse situations.

Will update with more notes after I do additional poking around.

Attachments

• XP_seat_interior.jpg
    XP_seat_interior.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 435
  • XP_tire_inflate_to_30psi.jpg
    XP_tire_inflate_to_30psi.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 426
  • XP_tire_CST_Patrol_20x3.0.jpg
    XP_tire_CST_Patrol_20x3.0.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Back