Is there any DOT headlight?

I previously recommended compact Hella projector units with a long-range beam cutoff. ;)

Have you considered using SAE DOT or EU rated projector lights for your Ebike?
I used Hella projectors on my cars and motorcycles with an excellent beam pattern and cutoff.

View attachment 57695

Is it possible for you to develop projector LED rather than reflector LED?
Motorcycles and cars have projector housing, and they spread the light more evenly, and cut off is more sharp.

As you can see, projector is much better than reflector.
Although, I don't know if people necessarily like the sharp cut off line, but I like how it distributes the light sideways.

Time for REAL cut-off beam patterns!-projectorcutoff.jpg

1603143821999.png

Is it possible for you to develop projector LED rather than reflector LED?

Motorcycles and cars have projector housing, and they spread the light more evenly, and cut off is more sharp.

As you can see, projector is much better than reflector.
Although, I don't know if people necessarily like the sharp cut off line, but I like how it distributes the light sideways.

Time for REAL cut-off beam patterns!-projectorcutoff.jpg

I used to dabble in the automotive light "retrofitting" hobby. TRS is regarded as one of the best sources for HID/LED retrofits. Something like the Matchbox 2.0 would be compact enough for bike use but you still have to build your own enclosure and the power source is going to be heavy unless you tap into your existing ebike battery. I'm sure it's worth it to some but I don't know if I'd want to add a projector, bulb, ballast, igniter and possibly a power source to a bike. It would be a very cool project, though.

edit: here’s a pic of my old Honda Fit “fitted” with HID projectors. The line on the wall is the beam cutoff, not a different shade of paint.

7BA5838E-E4EA-47CB-A5E3-66B257AB141C.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to dabble in the automotive light "retrofitting" hobby. TRS is regarded as one of the best sources for HID/LED retrofits. Something like the Matchbox 2.0 would be compact enough for bike use but you still have to build your own enclosure and the power source is going to be heavy unless you tap into your existing ebike battery. I'm sure it's worth it to some but I don't know if I'd want to add a projector, bulb, ballast, igniter and possibly a power source to a bike. It would be a very cool project, though.

edit: here’s a pic of my old Honda Fit “fitted” with HID projectors. The line on the wall is the beam cutoff, not a different shade of paint.

View attachment 69145

Funny coincidence... I did the same thing for my PCA friends when HID technology was new. ;)

It's now possible to obtain the same result at a much lower wattage and price using LED tech.

Something like that will be way too big. There's no way I'd be mounting that one handlebar or fender (or fork) area. I'm looking for something that can be mounted on a bicycle.
Did you take a look at the link... the Hella DE is a micro projector light.

It's about the size of traditional high-quality long-range bike lights... not to be compared to the $3-6 lights above. ;)

1603216910731.png

Last edited:
Same issues he mentioned Id think I would have too, no where to mount in existing places + how are you going to wire this thing? meh

Funny coincidence... I did the same thing for my PCA friends when HID technology was new. ;)

It's now possible to obtain the same result at a much lower wattage and price using LED tech.

I definitely thought your screen name was automotive-related. I told my wife that when the kids are grown and out of the house, I'm spending my money on a 993. :p

Same issues he mentioned Id think I would have too, no where to mount in existing places + how are you going to wire this thing? meh

Having played with those projectors before...a perfect place would be a front-mounted rack. It can hold the ballast and igniter while the projector can be mounted to the side of or under the rack. And if you can tap your existing battery for the power source, that would be ideal. It would be a cool project but I'm not out on dark trails often enough to take it on.

I definitely thought your screen name was automotive-related. I told my wife that when the kids are grown and out of the house, I'm spending my money on a 993. :p
You have excellent taste... the last generation of the air-cooled engines were wrapped in a beautiful timeless design.

I'll never sell my 993 C2S... they were limited in production and now impossible to replace. (not my car in the photo below) ;)

1603218583940.png

Last edited:
Having played with those projectors before...a perfect place would be a front-mounted rack. It can hold the ballast and igniter while the projector can be mounted to the side of or under the rack. And if you can tap your existing battery for the power source, that would be ideal. It would be a cool project but I'm not out on dark trails often enough to take it on.
Back on topic... here is the cutoff and beam pattern of the Hella DE projectors at dusk. ;)

1603218985798.png

Here's an interesting development... an EMTB with High/Low Beam Technology.

I find that the stock headlight on my bike is enough on my daily commute but I still use the B01 on my early morning leisure rides that take me on trails.
With my stock light I found I had to choose between spotting the idiot walkers dressed in all black up ahead on the trail OR being able to see the path directly in front of me to avoid obstacles.

The B01 lets me see both and I can aim my stock light to fill in between the B01's far throw and close up spill.
Really happy with the combination - thanks for posting about it last fall.

I have carefully gone through the great posts and headlight ideas in this thread. My favorite is the Outbound Lighting Road but I hate the external battery so that will only work if I can't figure out an internal battery one. Best ones I saw in this thread were Fenix BC30R and Trelock LS950. Unfortunately people have had bad things to say about the Trelock mounting. Maybe the Fenix is the best choice (under $250). Thoughts? I looked up the Lezyne StVZO ones but they are hard to find in stock and USA. Lots of searches for STVZO ones yielded mostly ones connecting to bike battery, which I want to avoid, or not available.

The Supernova M99 Mini Pro as fitted to my RM SC is the best bike light i have used. There are alternatives you just have to look at the reflector design and what standards, if any, it meets.The LT B01 as mentioned is a good example

Back