Is there a pannier shelf / riser for a dog basket?

SanSan

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a product or diy advice to fit a shelf above my existing racktime rack.

The problem is we have a new little dog (chiwawa/wippet cross) and I need to make him somewhere to sit on the bike, which already has two Ortlieb bags.

The Ortlieb bags clip onto the rack and these quick release clips stand up from the rack about an inch, thus preventing me from fitting a shelf.

We need a frame which effectively makes the rack "double-decker" so I can gain access to the bags and mount a dog basket on the shelf.

I have searched the www without success and wondered if anyone else has had the same problem?

Thanks, San

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a product or diy advice to fit a shelf above my existing racktime rack.

The problem is we have a new little dog (chiwawa/wippet cross) and I need to make him somewhere to sit on the bike, which already has two Ortlieb bags.

The Ortlieb bags clip onto the rack and these quick release clips stand up from the rack about an inch, thus preventing me from fitting a shelf.

We need a frame which effectively makes the rack "double-decker" so I can gain access to the bags and mount a dog basket on the shelf.

I have searched the www without success and wondered if anyone else has had the same problem?

Thanks, San
Hi SanSan,
One of these might be what you are after

If you want to take the DIY approach, you can attach the top of a second rack to your Racktime rack using these insulated cable clamps:

36835 36837

The 1/2 and 5/8" sizes fit most tubular frame & rack members.

36838 36839 36840

You can also attach a box or basket in the same manner

These insulated clamps won't mar the bike finish and leave the side rails free to attach panniers.

If the clamps don't allow enough clearance for your panniers, you can install an auxiliary bar as shown.

36842 36843

Last edited:
Are well cool, this is just the idea I was looking for - it's hard to describe in words. I will post some photos when I have finished the project

Gracios
6zfshdb

Hi SanSan,
One of these might be what you are after

Thanks for your help e-wheels, they are great baskets but I need something to raise the rack so I can attach a basket - The ortleib's QR lactches stick up too much for another tray on the top :-(

I just use this. I added a piece of foam on the bottom for her comfort. I bought it on amazon for around $26. I also like to see her while I ride and thats why I use a handlebar basket.

Good luck with your adventures together. My pup loves the rides.

Attachments

• BED9422F-C7B0-47C4-9EC1-2916391864A3.jpeg
    BED9422F-C7B0-47C4-9EC1-2916391864A3.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 525
  • 766F9BEE-0B93-4848-88C4-8948338052CF.jpeg
    766F9BEE-0B93-4848-88C4-8948338052CF.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 648
I just use this. I added a piece of foam on the bottom for her comfort. I bought it on amazon for around $26. I also like to see her while I ride and thats why I use a handlebar basket.

Good luck with your adventures together. My pup loves the rides.

Thanks Svaldes, I cant fit anything to the handlebars- theres a large Nyon and a greyhound skull with goat horns in the way :-D The terrain here is very challenging so we need as much control as possible.

I have choosen to make a custom tray raised above the racktime using alloy tubing and connectors, then make a doggy basket from a standard vegetable basket. Will keep everyone posted..

Thanks Ewheels- still the klickfix is too pricey for us, and we get charged horrendous import duty and up to 2 months delivery to Fuerte, and our Ortlieb bags attach to tubing not slits :-(

So I am going to build my own with alloy tubing, connectors and a veg basket :)

So I am going to build my own with alloy tubing, connectors and a veg basket :)

For my projects, I use 1/2" aluminum tubing from Home Depot:

For a finished look you can plug the open tube ends with these
37296 37298 37299

Good luck with your project and please post pictures!

Back