Is my locking plan good enough?

Formernuke

Region
USA
My new bike should be here soon. At work I can bring it in and place in a locked room so no real issue, plus police monitored cameras all over the place help a lot.

I'm wondering about grocery store Walmart, restaurants etc.

My plan is one of these

And one of these

Will these two be good enough? Note there are not a lot of bike racks so I'll be going for sign poles etc a lot.

My new bike should be here soon. At work I can bring it in and place in a locked room so no real issue, plus police monitored cameras all over the place help a lot.

My plan is one of these

And one of these

Will these two be good enough? Note there are not a lot of bike racks so I'll be going for sign poles etc a lot.
the frame lock is also called a cafe lock in europe because it’s best for very short periods. it’s mostly to stop the ride-away type theft but does not address the carry-it-away kind of theft. when used in combination with chain, massive unlock or other locks that prevent walk-away/carry-away locks it’s probably another good way to keep the rear wheel from being removed from the bike.

also be mindful to replace quick release hubs, seatpost, etc with something more defensive, otherwise you’re going to have to chain those up also, or carry them with you.

I like Pinhead or Hexlox bike bolt security. Hexlox keeps your existing allen bolts but fills the allen key hole with a difficult to remove filler piece. This is to slow down a thief and also prevent the easy use of a standard allen key. Pinhead replaces some components entirely with never ones with tamperproof bolts and stuff, more expensive than hexlox.

I like the Kryptonite NY Fugettaboutit line for max security but most all the products are very heavy.
For things like grocery stores i pretty commonly see people bringing their bike shopping with them if bike racks aren’t available.

Be very careful of signposts as your secure foundation as many are stamped steel and easily cut or the bike is just lifted up and off the post. Bike thieves are not always dumb opportunists, many are absolute experts at their craft and have all the tools, talent and technique to get what they want.

Best is to not let bike out of sight ever. if you have to, lock in very conspicuous places but away from places where anyone could kneel down and be semi-concealed while they work on your lock. Motion detector alarms can be useful just because thieves don’t usually want to be conspicuous…

The Kryptonite fugettaboutit chain would take an expert thief with great tools more than a few min to defeat i think, so they may look for a quicker score in a less secure bike.

all things being equal. i think being lots more secure than other similar bikes locked in the same area will tend to benefit you as well.

Im still deciding between the Kryptonite NY Fug… massive chain or their mini U lock… combined with hexlox on all adjustable or removable parts (seatpost, stem, axles, etc) and a motion alarm.

also be mindful to replace quick release hubs, seatpost, etc with something more defensive, otherwise you’re going to have to chain those up also, or carry them with you.
I planned on that already. I figure no need for seat quick release as I plan set it and forget it. I'm not sure of wheel quick releases because if I lock the wheels to frame or locking point they are not really a weak spot anymore.

I know that no lock is foolproof just a delay action, same with post the hope is in front of a store if I'm inside shopping someone will notice someone grinding, hacksawing etc or trying to lift the bike over a 8 foot tall pole.

I am considering a chain or u lock as well it comes down to transporting with still enough space in the bags for the groceries.

Will these two be good enough?
Yes.

The Abus Pro Shield frame lock with a plug-in chain or cable for looping around a lamp post would certainly meet my requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:

My plan is one of these

And one of these

What is your bike and what is it worth ? Pewag is great chain. If I were going to lock my bikes that would be my
choice. As for a lock I'm not certain. I have two e-bikes and would never leave them unattended. I know that's not
what you want to hear.

The abus bordo is strong enough to delay thieves, but too short to lock around really secure power poles, a gas meter, or 2 or 3 legs of a cart rack. Thief could cut one leg in about 1 minute with a power saw.
I use this 1/2" stainless sling 6' long https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T15 with an abus 92/80 lock from ebay/zoro. Lighter than 6' of pewag chain, will roll up in my pannier bag. Won't fit a tiny bag under the seat. Stainless steel is slow to cut with grinders & saws compared to carbon steel. The stranded construction will break teeth off a sawblade. & Cutting 19 ga SS strands with a dike is much harder than those 42 ga carbon steel strands in a regular bike shop or Master cable. My bike costs $3300.
I've found allen head fasteners with elastic stop nuts instead of quick release axle & seat clamp has been adequate to deter casual thieves. Some have attempted phillips head + elastic stop nuts on my battery mount, but gave up after 2 screws. There are 20. A rear light was cut off when mounted with tie-wraps, but 2 screws 1" long with elastic stop nuts has been too much trouble to steal. My bikes sits outside shops for 90 minutes and at my volunteer job for 4 hours. I keep my rubber band mount headlight in a peanut butter jar in the pannier bag. I was keeping it in the bag bare, but the rain destroyed the last one.

Last edited:
The first lock I bought was a $70 Abus u-lock, and I bought some heavy chain and locks as well.
I chain to separate articles - for example, to different parts of railings or bike stands. I use the Abus to lock a wheel to something else if possible...so usually 3 different attachments are employed but I might use 4 if I was worried about a particular location and knew in advance.
I have a motion alarm, too.
I use a tiny cable tie tucked into the brake lever crack where it opens up, to keep the motor from being turned on.

BTW, the Abus plastic casing is coming apart after less than 2 years of light use no rain no impacts. It rides safely in the pannier.

Last edited:
No lock is perfect. Most can be quickly cut with an angle grinder which is the tool of choice for bike thieves. They usually attack the weakest point which sometimes is the object to which you lock the bike. There have been incidents where thieves cut up a bike rack and stole a dozen bikes at one time.

Locks are a deterrent though and will protect you from the casual thief. Your best bet is to carry e-bike insurance. Check your homeowner or renter policy, you may already be covered. If not, policies are available from companies like Velosurance at reasonable rates.

Go to YouTube and search out "the lock picking lawyer". You'll see first hand that just about any bike lock can be easily defeated. Plus it's a super fun channel to watch.

I like lockpicking and I like the LockPickingLawyer Youtube channel too.

While it is possible to pick most locks, you have to keep in mind just how skilled he is and realize that bike thieves are not going to invest the time to gain the same skill.

Angle grinder is a legitimate risk but it is noisy and will generate a lot of sparks, more if your lock/chain is thicker and hardened.

Here's my new setup: a 12mm hardened Pewag square chain and a Abloy 362 padlock. Also insurance.

IMG_1646.jpeg

I have multiple Ebikes and have the Krptonite U locks with the fairly thick cables and loud alarms. (4 sets) I can count on 1 hand how many times I have used the locks. I rarely if ever leave the bikes anywhere except locked with alarms on in my garage...

It's about time and being noticed.

Ideally you lock it right outside the police dispatcher office but since that's not possible go for next best in a place and manner where they will be caught with noise etc.

On insurance, we were able to add it to our homeowners policy for about $300/year. I also looked at velosurance but it was way more expensive.

Back