Is it safe to freely use the throttle WHILE PEDALING on a mid drive?

As you say, prove it. How could you possibly know that?

For me, not using Strava is a matter of not wanting all of my personal information spread around to everyone on the planet, let alone to the people at Strava. I get that that's appealing to some people, and that's fine for them If there were a way to keep my personal Strava data private I'd probably be interested.

TT
You can choose to keep your Strava data Private. I do.

thanks for posting this, it’s pretty interesting. i was trying to imagine how this could possibly be true, given the immense magnitude of gravity on a hill compared to wind resistance or other “upper body movements” as they say. i suppose an analog is downhill skiing, which is quite tiring for both the heart and the muscles, but of course has no uphill component typically. all the work done is battling friction or the localized gravity required to lift a part of the body or piece of equipment up or down.

very different from road cycling, where the goal of course is the absolutely minimize those parasitic losses and to get as much of the energy into the cranks and forward progress as possible.

definitely not my cup of tea, but interesting for sure!

Good analogy - think moguls . We even have the same color rating system - green / blue / black / double black, red, and where did that cliff come from ?

I guess having a throttle is like catching the ski lift vs. using a T bar to drag you uphill on a pedantelectric bike?

Yeah, downhill skiing can be quite the anaerobic workout, though the better you get the less work it is. But when your technique improves you'll tend to go faster and then it's more work, but for a shorter period of time. I guess you can say an ebike throttle is like a ski lift.
My take away is that anyone who has ridden an ebike with a properly integrated throttle will never opt for a bike that doesn't have one.

This is data related to enduro mtb, they acknowledge down hill mountain bike racers consume higher amounts of energy than enduro, but I think this gives perspective on the phenomena I'm talking about - spinning cranks up hill uses less energy than riding a down hill mountain bike course - you'll notice the elite group were running at 90% vmax down hill, their muscle fatigue was greater after the down hill run than when spinning cranks up hill.
You have convinced me both Enduro and DH riders get workout. Is it a safe, healthy and recommended way to get workout for the rest of us? I do not think so.
It's much cleaner data than strava.
Are you telling me any Enduro or DH rider can get such data for themselves to compare the effort after each ride? Or is it a single scientific research project?

I'd like to see a Strava record of someone riding a throttle e-bike for 62 miles with the figure of the kcal burnt. Unfortunately throttle e-bike riders avoid Strava. Probably they don't want to learn the truth.
The gospel according to Strava ......Stephan, most normal people don't get exercise swiping away on the computer
A clear diversion, and not answering a plain English statement. My point was 'let us compare the effort of a pedalling cyclist to the one of the throttle rider'. The comparison of the effort (which could be done in Strava) -- were the throttle e-bikes capable to provide the figure of the rider's calories burnt on the ride -- would be quite interesting. I do not think the throttle e-bikes are such advanced though.

You also did not comment the question when you will get a throttle e-MTB for yourself.
I guess having a throttle is like catching the ski lift vs. using a T bar to drag you uphill on a pedantelectric bike?
No, having a throttle can be compared to an MTBer who brings his bike to the trail beginning with a car.

You have convinced me both Enduro and DH riders get workout. Is it a safe, healthy and recommended way to get workout for the rest of us? I do not think so.

Are you telling me any Enduro or DH rider can get such data for themselves to compare the effort after each ride? Or is it a single scientific research project?

A clear diversion, and not answering a plain English statement. My point was 'let us compare the effort of a pedalling cyclist to the one of the throttle rider'. The comparison of the effort (which could be done in Strava) -- were the throttle e-bikes capable to provide the figure of the rider's calories burnt on the ride -- would be quite interesting. I do not think the throttle e-bikes are such advanced though.

You also did not comment the question when you will get a throttle e-MTB for yourself.

No, having a throttle can be compared to an MTBer who brings his bike to the trail beginning with a car.

sigh........

I've given you reliable scientific data demonstrating that down hill mountain bike riding can use more energy than uphill , there are plenty of other scientific reports out there if you wish to look, and I've even offered for my anesthetist riding friend to draw simple pictures .....YOU seem fixed on strava as the gospel. To be honest , I think we're reaching the point where a discussion about mental health benefits of riding should occur . PERHAPS ITS TIME FOR AN INTERVENTION - stefen, we think you have a problem . Can you try just one day without strava?

Will I get a throttle ebike ? I thought we had established my levo sl has a push button ? If/ when it's possible to buy a light weight mid drive with a FULL POWER throttle , I'll consider one - but probably wait until that's available with a mid drive gearbox , because I'm perfectly happy with my low powered throttle levo sl, thankyou.

OMG, I enjoy travelling to new and exciting riding destinations and use my car to get there..... often thousands of km away. Sometimes I even use a car / shuttle service to do shuttles and get in the max amount of exercise for a day. Other times I USE A SKI LIFT like the person skiing moguls - how evil can I be? I also ride from my front door regularly, some days just riding on my own property . Will you pop an anuerysm if I mention the giant has a badass dongle for the times I ride on my own property ? No, I'm not giving you strava data of those rides

I've given you reliable scientific data demonstrating that down hill mountain bike riding can use more energy than uphill , there are plenty of other scientific reports out there if you wish to look, and I've even offered for my anesthetist riding friend to draw simple pictures .....
Yes you have. I asked a simple question whether DH riders could compare their effort on a daily basis. Can they?

stefen, we think you have a problem . Can you try just one day without strava?
To lose a day from my e-bike maintenance Strava log? Not.
1691394859676.png

It is also good to know when the brake pads should be replaced and how long distance was ridden on the tyre set.
Will I get a throttle ebike ? I thought we had established my levo sl has a push button ? If/ when it's possible to buy a light weight mid drive with a FULL POWER throttle , I'll consider one - but probably wait until that's available with a mid drive gearbox , because I'm perfectly happy with my low powered throttle levo sl, thankyou.
I thought the Walk Mode button was for walking the e-bike. You seem to be riding your Levo SL in the Walk Mode, very interesting :D I hoped for an honest answer from you: No self-respecting e-MTB manufacturer would install the throttle on the mountain e-bike also because all respected e-MTB motor/system manufacturers know what the term "cycling" is all about, and they would not violate the EU no-throttle law as the majority of e-bikes outside China are sold in Europe.
-----------
You avoid talking about the comparison of the relative effort of pedal and throttle e-bike riders. You divert by mentioning Strava. No need for Strava. Let a throttle e-bike rider show me the "kcal burnt" data along the distance ridden and elevation gained.

Last edited:
:D I hoped for an honest answer from you: No self-respecting e-MTB manufacturer would install the throttle on the mountain e-bike also because all respected e-MTB motor/system manufacturers know what the term "cycling" is all about, and they would not violate the EU no-throttle law as the majority of e-bikes outside China are sold in Europe.
-----------

Are vitus a self respecting e mtb manufacturer? I see they even build gravel bikes. https://www.emtbforums.com/threads/vitus-e-mythique-lt-with-bafang-m510.33645/

Or arguably one of the first companies to build dirt capable e " bikes" ? I know you'll spurt out the motorbike slur as though it's something to be ashamed of, but 15 years ago these guys were mountain bike riders looking at ways to enhance their options..... to be completely honest, I WISH they would build motorbikes, especially if they enlist the engineer in the factory next door, because he's a good motorbike rider and you've promised to stop posting the threads where motorbikes take over.....https://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/

Are vitus a self respecting e mtb manufacturer?
A budget brand. Let them try with the throttle in Europe.
I WISH they would build motorbikes
They should. Inexpensive motorbikes, of course.
All Strava data is stored on Stefan Mikes cloud server 😎.

If it’s not on his Strava server it never happened 😜.
Add RideWithGPS and Komoot to that. All my rides are synced to three clouds plus the Wahoo Cloud. I learned my lesson with the deceased Endomondo, and even I could port my Endomondo rides to the three other services.

1691400062637.png

Yes I know @fooferdoggie and @RabH ride more than I do :) They can document it! Neither of them uses a throttle.

Stephan, I have a car and a throttle on my e bike. It's 100% my responsibility to get enough exercise to stay fit. It is not your responsibility to determine my method of doing so.

Yeah, downhill skiing can be quite the anaerobic workout, though the better you get the less work it is. But when your technique improves you'll tend to go faster and then it's more work, but for a shorter period of time. I guess you can say an ebike throttle is like a ski lift.
My take away is that anyone who has ridden an ebike with a properly integrated throttle will never opt for a bike that doesn't have one.
I gotta laugh on this one. I know that you are correct but not for me. I freeze all winter skiing and still need an exercise program. My techniques are so highly refined that I am still at resting pulse at the bottom of a big black diamond mogul run. My biking skills, not so much.

You throw the word "race" in there and it screws up the comparisons of uphill to downhill. I can tell you, Adrenalin increases my heart rate and energy use drastically, especially downhill. I am no longer at resting pulse at the bottom of a run. My 68 year old body doesn't like adrenalin much these days.

Currently looking at a SC Watt Wagon Hound for the GDMBR.

A budget brand. Let them try with the throttle in Europe.

They should. Inexpensive motorbikes, of course.

Add RideWithGPS and Komoot to that. All my rides are synced to three clouds plus the Wahoo Cloud. I learned my lesson with the deceased Endomondo, and even I could port my Endomondo rides to the three other services.

View attachment 159883
Yes I know @fooferdoggie and @RabH ride more than I do :) They can document it! Neither of them uses a throttle.

Big talk from a man spending insurance money.

Starting a go_fund_me for the DHL driver.... Who's in? 🙃

Stefan - for heaven's sake, give this up, PLEASE!!!

We all know how you feel about throttles. You're not "converting" anyone, and you're not the throttle police.

I always enjoy reading about your riding adventures, and you can be so helpful sometimes, but this side of you is very unpleasant to experience.

Stefan - for heaven's sake, give this up, PLEASE!!!

We all know how you feel about throttles. You're not "converting" anyone, and you're not the throttle police.

I always enjoy reading about your riding adventures, and you can be so helpful sometimes, but this side of you is very unpleasant to experience.
Seems you too enjoy micturition into a head wind 🙃

I'd like to see a Strava record of someone riding a throttle e-bike for 62 miles with the figure of the kcal burnt. Unfortunately throttle e-bike riders avoid Strava. Probably they don't want to learn the truth.
Please consider another FACT. Some (most?) of us could care less about that Strava -OR- any feature on it! You want to talk Strava "features" go to the right section of the forum (NOT GENERAL!) and brag your heart out.

Back