Intro re: My ebike, as asked by this forum.

McAndy

Region
Canada
My ebike is a 2016 Urban Ryder, possibly designed by, and administered by Green Light Cycle in Burnaby, B.C. (with a very supportive staff), and probably built in Asia. Up to into the Covid-19 pandemic it was also sold by Costco.ca .
I bought it spontaneously second-hand at the end of July 2021, via Kijiji, with 3477 km on the Kingmeter display. It now reads 5933 km (early November 2021), ergo up to now I rode it 2456 km. I am a fair-weather rider, our season is say April to November (-6 deg. C this a.m.).
This bike with accessories now weighs about 59 lb. The accessories added by my very helpful local bike shop BicyclesPlus were: A rear bicycle rack with removable battery-operated flashing LED light, a CatEye Velo 9 'computer', and an improved rear fender support. I added a 'ding' (for lack of a better description) 'bell', and a Zacron coil spring saddle.
Since my big feet tend to slip off the pedals after about 35km (I am pushing 88), I added 1 1/4 inch (??) pedal extenders, and jury-rigged endplates to each pedal (wired-on tomato can tops, if you must know; but since improved with a more elegant and sturdier solution - the round tops for electric outlet boxes :)-) ).
I weigh 175 lb, have an only-30 inch inseam. My saddle is set to 31.5 inch above ground; a bit risky, but better for pedaling more effectively.
Other than a nail in the rear tire and an insecure rear fender I have had no problems at all (yes, I have fallen over about 4 times, fortunately all at a near standstill; you have heard of errant kids and dogs on trails, and those bl..dy tight gates..... )
I remove the nominally 48V, 13 A/hr Panasonic battery after each ride, leaving it charged below 80%/51V (actually typically around 55%/47V; yes, I am a data freak). Charging it up before a ride to only near-full, and, so far, perhaps 3 times a season, to 100%/54.3 V (the charger light shows green then). This is supposed to improve battery life.
I tend to use Assist 3/5 on shorter ides (20+ km), and Assist 2 on the out-leg of longer rides (say 52 km), on about my 5 typical routes (partly in subdivisions, partly on paved trails, partly into the country on less-traveled roads. Average speeds vary between 22 and 24+ km/hr (participating in the Tour De France is but a dream). Winds around here are typically light.
If you don't care to read the specs on this Urban Ryder: It employs a cadence-sensor-only geared rear hub 500W Bafang motor, used in combination with a much-used 7-speed Shimano derailleur.
Until last year, I rode a conventional hybrid bicycle. What I now really love about this ebike is that to a certain degree it now replaces my motorcycle, which had become too heavy for me. Well, so far, so good. McAndy.

If you don't want to look up the specs: This Urban Ryder has a cadence-assisted-only geared rear-hub Bafang 500W motor, used in combination with a constantly-applied 7 speed Shimano derailleur. Both brakes are interlocked with the controller/motor (a good thing!).
Until last year I rode a hybrid bicycle. What

Buying a used e bike or at least checking the local used e bike market is something I suggest to anyone who asks for advice on purchasing...there are some real bargains to be had if you know what you are looking for. I think back to my own motorcycling days and I think that for me the e bike is more fun than a motorcycle albeit at slower speeds and with much less operating costs.
Whenever anyone asks me about what it's like to own and ride an e bike, I describe it like this; Think back to when you were a kid and you got your first bicycle, that sense of freedom to ride, add that with the ability to go faster and further and take away the burden of riding into strong winds, double the fun with half the effort.
I also remove the battery after each ride and charge to about 80% and during the colder months I typically store the battery in a warm environment (the hot water cylinder closet).
Now that you have an e bike, don't be supprised that you will find reasons to ride it even if you have no reason at all.
Today here it's Thursday morning, I have a day off work, the weather is overcast and the wind is moderate easterly...I have no plans for the day and nothing better to do so I'm about to head off somewhere, anywhere on the bike...because it's fun.

Buying a used e bike or at least checking the local used e bike market is something I suggest to anyone who asks for advice on purchasing...there are some real bargains to be had if you know what you are looking for. I think back to my own motorcycling days and I think that for me the e bike is more fun than a motorcycle albeit at slower speeds and with much less operating costs.
Whenever anyone asks me about what it's like to own and ride an e bike, I describe it like this; Think back to when you were a kid and you got your first bicycle, that sense of freedom to ride, add that with the ability to go faster and further and take away the burden of riding into strong winds, double the fun with half the effort.
I also remove the battery after each ride and charge to about 80% and during the colder months I typically store the battery in a warm environment (the hot water cylinder closet).
Now that you have an e bike, don't be supprised that you will find reasons to ride it even if you have no reason at all.
Today here it's Thursday morning, I have a day off work, the weather is overcast and the wind is moderate easterly...I have no plans for the day and nothing better to do so I'm about to head off somewhere, anywhere on the bike...because it's fun.
Clicking on your "postings" will take you back to any posted conversations you've had McAndy. Typing @McAndy will get a forum members attention the soonest as I understand it.

Welcome to EBR.

Edit: McAndy lost track of you Ian.

Clicking on your "postings" will take you back to any posted conversations you've had McAndy. Typing @McAndy will get a forum members attention the soonest as I understand it.

Welcome to EBR.

Edit: McAndy lost track of you Ian.
Thanks for the tip, Merle. But where exactly should I type that '(USER=48489)@McAndy(/USER)'?

My ebike is a 2016 Urban Ryder, possibly designed by, and administered by Green Light Cycle in Burnaby, B.C. (with a very supportive staff), and probably built in Asia. Up to into the Covid-19 pandemic it was also sold by Costco.ca .
I bought it spontaneously second-hand at the end of July 2021, via Kijiji, with 3477 km on the Kingmeter display. It now reads 5933 km (early November 2021), ergo up to now I rode it 2456 km. I am a fair-weather rider, our season is say April to November (-6 deg. C this a.m.).
This bike with accessories now weighs about 59 lb. The accessories added by my very helpful local bike shop BicyclesPlus were: A rear bicycle rack with removable battery-operated flashing LED light, a CatEye Velo 9 'computer', and an improved rear fender support. I added a 'ding' (for lack of a better description) 'bell', and a Zacron coil spring saddle.
Since my big feet tend to slip off the pedals after about 35km (I am pushing 88), I added 1 1/4 inch (??) pedal extenders, and jury-rigged endplates to each pedal (wired-on tomato can tops, if you must know; but since improved with a more elegant and sturdier solution - the round tops for electric outlet boxes :)-) ).
I weigh 175 lb, have an only-30 inch inseam. My saddle is set to 31.5 inch above ground; a bit risky, but better for pedaling more effectively.
Other than a nail in the rear tire and an insecure rear fender I have had no problems at all (yes, I have fallen over about 4 times, fortunately all at a near standstill; you have heard of errant kids and dogs on trails, and those bl..dy tight gates..... )
I remove the nominally 48V, 13 A/hr Panasonic battery after each ride, leaving it charged below 80%/51V (actually typically around 55%/47V; yes, I am a data freak). Charging it up before a ride to only near-full, and, so far, perhaps 3 times a season, to 100%/54.3 V (the charger light shows green then). This is supposed to improve battery life.
I tend to use Assist 3/5 on shorter ides (20+ km), and Assist 2 on the out-leg of longer rides (say 52 km), on about my 5 typical routes (partly in subdivisions, partly on paved trails, partly into the country on less-traveled roads. Average speeds vary between 22 and 24+ km/hr (participating in the Tour De France is but a dream). Winds around here are typically light.
If you don't care to read the specs on this Urban Ryder: It employs a cadence-sensor-only geared rear hub 500W Bafang motor, used in combination with a much-used 7-speed Shimano derailleur.
Until last year, I rode a conventional hybrid bicycle. What I now really love about this ebike is that to a certain degree it now replaces my motorcycle, which had become too heavy for me. Well, so far, so good. McAndy.

If you don't want to look up the specs: This Urban Ryder has a cadence-assisted-only geared rear-hub Bafang 500W motor, used in combination with a constantly-applied 7 speed Shimano derailleur. Both brakes are interlocked with the controller/motor (a good thing!).
Until last year I rode a hybrid bicycle. What
Now that’s how you describe a bike! No pictures needed. lol

Now that’s how you describe a bike! No pictures needed. lol
Hello Concretefeet: I am glad that you liked the description of my experiences with my ebike, and the few brief specs.
Please note that someone else (or was it me? I am not clever with this forum's procedures/protocols) picked up on this initially short thread, and then continued with it under the forum's banner 'Help choosing an ebike' > 'Hubdrive vs. middrive - which is best for me? on about November 25, 2021, I believe. Many comments ensued, which you may or may not want to look at.
And please don't jump into a deep pool, you would perhaps be a loss to the ebike community :)-) .
McAndy.

McAndy, if you enjoy communication on this forum and about bikes etc you just have to keep doing it and you learn a new computer trick every now and again. No body really "understands" those things in my opinion.

My wife is really good with tech - only because she spends hours figuring out something that stumps her, and something that could have been done originally in minutes with old school paper methods.

Also, there isn't a way to do a thing from what I can tell, there are 5 or 10 ways to get the same result/outcome.

Hello Concretefeet: I am glad that you liked the description of my experiences with my ebike, and the few brief specs.
Please note that someone else (or was it me? I am not clever with this forum's procedures/protocols) picked up on this initially short thread, and then continued with it under the forum's banner 'Help choosing an ebike' > 'Hubdrive vs. middrive - which is best for me? on about November 25, 2021, I believe. Many comments ensued, which you may or may not want to look at.
And please don't jump into a deep pool, you would perhaps be a loss to the ebike community :)-) .
McAndy.
McAndy,
For sure! You’ve a way with words! Tongue in cheek to boot! I like your style of writing and hope to hear more of your travels/experiences. And you’re right about the pool being deep...🙃🤔😬 Have a great day!

Back