Hub drive vs mid drive - which is best for me?

Thank you, Al and Steve for your links (at the moment, my possibly ill-advised vanity still prefers non-stepthrough frames)/commments/suggestions! I will digest all that.
Steve, I feel for you with the current (pun not intended) 'atmospheric current' devastating your particular area of B.C. Stay safe.
McAndy.
Thanks Andy I am currently considering building an Ark (-: This is a manly enough low step is it not?
1638324000046.png

There is an article/thread here about step throughs being neither male or female oriented if I'm not mistaken. Or else it was on a well done youtube video I watched. Worth looking up some of that line of thinking in my opinion.

Something I notice is that when you have a rack on the back of a bike I'll bet ones leg will tend to hit it when mounting and dismounting - especially when well loaded. I bought a rack and fender kit for a non step through mountain bike I have and have just neglected to put it on. And I bought a simple little clip on (thin plastic) fender for my wife"s and my other mountain bikes. I'm amazed at how often I hit that thing and knock it sideways getting on and off.

There is an article/thread here about step throughs being neither male or female oriented if I'm not mistaken. Or else it was on a well done youtube video I watched. Worth looking up some of that line of thinking in my opinion.

Something I notice is that when you have a rack on the back of a bike I'll bet ones leg will tend to hit it when mounting and dismounting - especially when well loaded. I bought a rack and fender kit for a non step through mountain bike I have and have just neglected to put it on. And I bought a simple little clip on (thin plastic) fender for my wife"s and my other mountain bikes. I'm amazed at how often I hit that thing and knock it sideways getting on and off.
Merle, I experience the same problem with my albeit sturdy rear carrier/rear light. I have to lean the non-stepthrough ebike over to about 45° from horizontal to get off. Sounds easy, but it's not. McAndy.

It actually does not completely lack suspension as it has those revolutionary Baramind handlebars. However , here is a sweeter bike with twin batteries that can do it all! The Weekend even has a dropper post for your convenience = https://moustachebikes.com/en/electric-bikes/samedi-27-weekend/weekend-27-fs-dual-eq/ View attachment 108327
Sounds very good, Steve. Thanks for the lead. Great specs, relatively low weight too. However, I will first have to check if I can find a money printing machine on Kijiji, for the $10,300 CAD +13% HST this lovely ebike costs. Or perhaps if I sent a note to Santa Claus .....
Good luck with the ark. McAndy.

I like the Moustache style (looks sturdy!), but fail to see how it's mounted any easier than the step over? That's a pretty tall step up height to clear that. Speaking for myself, it would seem easier to pull the bike over at an angle and swing my leg over. Or is "step through" this just about stand over height?

Last edited:
Sounds very good, Steve. Thanks for the lead. Great specs, relatively low weight too. However, I will first have to check if I can find a money printing machine on Kijiji, for the $10,300 CAD +13% HST this lovely ebike costs. Or perhaps if I sent a note to Santa Claus .....
Good luck with the ark. McAndy.
haha yes Andy you must pay the piper... cheers.

I like the Moustache style (looks sturdy!), but fail to see how it's mounted any easier than the step over? That's a pretty tall step over height to clear that. Speaking for myself, it would seem easier to pull the bike over at an angle and swing my leg over. Or is "step through" this just about stand over height?
Yes but at least It has a dropper post to help you swing your leg over. This bike is my favorite at least until I see a similar bike with a pair of 900 batteries. Norco sells bikes with 900 batteries but so far I have not seen any twin options from them.

I will say that our two hard tail bikes go begging once we got full suspension mountain bikes. (Even though we had put Kinetic suspension seat posts on them.)

I think I would still prefer it that way even if we spent a lot of time riding pavement. (Try before you buy - including renting for the day etc.)

I will say that our two hard tail bikes go begging once we got full suspension mountain bikes. (Even though we had put Kinetic suspension seat posts on them.)

I think I would still prefer it that way even if we spent a lot of time riding pavement. (Try before you buy - including renting for the day etc.)
Yes indeed the comfort and handling of a quality FS bike are well worth the extra weight and cost.

I always thought the Frey CC was the only step-thru I would be seen on, for the same old-school reasons. I really like this bike. And they finally can be ordered online direct from Frey.

They have been on the market for a few years now. Youtube reviews are out there. It doesn't really present as a step-thru to my eyes.

These mid vs hub and throttle vs no throttle threads are always fun.

I would try both to determine what suits you because even though all of us have our preferences, none of us are you and your own experience may be something we can't speak about.

I prefer hub... and throttle... but I don't own a mid-drive and the only bikes I have without a throttle are my analog bikes. :)

I like the Moustache style (looks sturdy!), but fail to see how it's mounted any easier than the step over? That's a pretty tall step up height to clear that. Speaking for myself, it would seem easier to pull the bike over at an angle and swing my leg over. Or is "step through" this just about stand over height?
Checkout xroad 2 and 3 which are proper stepthroughs. I have 2020 5 in same frame with better components. 2021 5 has switched to low step frame with more powerful CX motor. Performance line motor on 2&3 is still good hill climber. 10spd and 625wh battery on 3 is worth extra $. They are excellent handling bikes and capable of exploring moderate MTB trails.

Was after cross bar frame for more mounting points but stepthrough was only one left in stock, no regrets with my purchase and breeze to get on and off. I scoot bike and slip my right leg through frame once under way, reverse for stops.

Checkout xroad 2 and 3 which are proper stepthroughs. I have 2020 5 in same frame with better components. 2021 5 has switched to low step frame with more powerful CX motor. Performance line motor on 2&3 is still good hill climber. 10spd and 625wh battery on 3 is worth extra $. They are excellent handling bikes and capable of exploring moderate MTB trails.

Was after cross bar frame for more mounting points but stepthrough was only one left in stock, no regrets with my purchase and breeze to get on and off. I scoot bike and slip my right leg through frame once under way, reverse for stops.
Pretty sure I understand what a step through looks like. We have a couple of them for the wife (Espin Flow). I was wondering about the red Frey CC in the picture above. -Al

Actually from Trevor B. Was after cross bar frame for more mounting points but stepthrough was only one left in stock, no regrets with my purchase and breeze to get on and off. I scoot bike and slip my right leg through frame once under way, reverse for stops.

Hello Trevor, thank you for describing your elegant approach to mounting/dismounting a step-through ebike. Sounds like a practical one, even from a traffic light or such.
Actually continued by McAndy: Would I make certain persons jump with joy if I dare say that such an approach may negate the use of the infamous thumbdrive/throttle start :)-) ? McAndy.

Back