I am thinking of buying a Trek Verve + ?

Yes it does and I personally find it extremely comfortable even on rough surfaces. My Trek dealer mentioned an upgrade to the grips that he said would take a lot of the jarring away on my wrists but I have not looked into it yet. I like a more firm ride and the bike is incredibly stable at higher speeds I guess that is why I love Mazda because of their tight suspension and handling! By the way I am about 200 miles in to my riding and not a single vibration from the fenders yet.
Go with what works for you : In regular Bikes I have a 2019 Dual Sport and a 2020 Trek Verve 3 : Like both bikes but wanted to go a little faster : I did all the research on Treks 2020 FX3 : Everyone was a rave review : So I bought one : I HATED IT : ALthough it fit me size wise the geometry at least for Me Sucked : It was like not as Upright as the Verve but I couldn't stretch out on it like I can My Dual Sport : It was just a Poor design for Me personally : I only bring this up because I see some comments in this thread on the Verve plus are Negative,

If after riding You like it and the Price is such you can sell it later and not have to take a bath : Go for it : For me Fenders are coming off on anything I buy. They're easy enough to put on. If you have any mechanical ability at all a Peddle Bike is relatively simple to work on. The key being a Good solid Park Tool or the like Word Stand.

Nothing matches personal experience : I also wonder if sometimes Comments from certain types are just to say something . So they repeat what so and so said. Kinda like the Rumor Specialized frames Crack : That was all over the Forums at one point : Generated from 2 complaints : Plus it was poor welds not frames actually cracking :

While it is a great source of Knowledge : Forums can also be a Great source of Mis-information from a Non Expert /Expert opinion : Like what I am giving ;) All the best : Keep Posting

Steve:
I had a bike with belt drive. I would not buy another. I rode a lot on dusty gravel thinking it was fine and it would not cause a problem. The next time I got caught in the rain I had dripping black water everywhere. The dust was accumulating between the teeth of the belt and on the rings. When you take into account the amount of area where this takes takes place you end up with a lot of this fine paste of water and mud.
John

Steve:
I had a bike with belt drive. I would not buy another. I rode a lot on dusty gravel thinking it was fine and it would not cause a problem. The next time I got caught in the rain I had dripping black water everywhere. The dust was accumulating between the teeth of the belt and on the rings. When you take into account the amount of area where this takes takes place you end up with a lot of this fine paste of water and mud.
John
Thanks John I do ride a lot of gravel in the rain.

Last edited:
Go with what works for you : In regular Bikes I have a 2019 Dual Sport and a 2020 Trek Verve 3 : Like both bikes but wanted to go a little faster : I did all the research on Treks 2020 FX3 : Everyone was a rave review : So I bought one : I HATED IT : ALthough it fit me size wise the geometry at least for Me Sucked : It was like not as Upright as the Verve but I couldn't stretch out on it like I can My Dual Sport : It was just a Poor design for Me personally : I only bring this up because I see some comments in this thread on the Verve plus are Negative,

If after riding You like it and the Price is such you can sell it later and not have to take a bath : Go for it : For me Fenders are coming off on anything I buy. They're easy enough to put on. If you have any mechanical ability at all a Peddle Bike is relatively simple to work on. The key being a Good solid Park Tool or the like Word Stand.

Nothing matches personal experience : I also wonder if sometimes Comments from certain types are just to say something . So they repeat what so and so said. Kinda like the Rumor Specialized frames Crack : That was all over the Forums at one point : Generated from 2 complaints : Plus it was poor welds not frames actually cracking :

While it is a great source of Knowledge : Forums can also be a Great source of Mis-information from a Non Expert /Expert opinion : Like what I am giving ;) All the best : Keep Posting
good post Rick thanks!

Thanks for posting on the Trek 2020 FX3. Regarding the Specialized frame issues... see this thread with actual user experience.
The owner confirmed a crack in the frame that is not at the weld. Specialized is now replacing the frames/bikes under warranty. ;)

Attachments

• 1574402060045.png
    1574402060045.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 377
Last edited:
My wife has a Raleigh bike with the Bosh active line + motor and it will easily climb any hill with her or me on it. Saying it's weak is like saying my 750 Honda feels stronger than your 250 Yamaha. Yes it's a weaker motor than the CX. So what. Not everybody needs there bike to feel like a motorcycle. The active line motors have no resistance when you go past the motors help or if you turn it off and that is a big plus as well. I say go for it Steve if it fits the bill.

My wife has a Raleigh bike with the Bosh active line + motor and it will easily climb any hill with her or me on it. Saying it's weak is like saying my 750 Honda feels stronger than your 250 Yamaha. Yes it's a weaker motor than the CX. So what. Not everybody needs there bike to feel like a motorcycle. The active line motors have no resistance when you go past the motors help or if you turn it off and that is a big plus as well. I say go for it Steve if it fits the bill.
That is one of the main features I love the most is the light weight and lack of any resistance. Many times on flat surfaces if I am feeling good or even the slightest downhill I completely turn off the motor and I think that is why I get over 60 miles per charge. Because of the smaller motor if I was continually using higher assistance regularly on hills the range with decline but what is nice is the larger capacity battery will fit and adapt.

Dude , we are in the minority . Obviously the inappropriately named Verve , has hit a nerve with the ebike buying public .

I the Verve +2 had the Plus version of the Active Line , I might have bought it .

OK on this ride today I had the fenders do that annoying tick tick tick when small stuff gets in the tires. Otherwise a very good all around bike so far, with shockingly great range from that power sipping motor and only a 400 battery.

OK on this ride today I had the fenders do that annoying tick tick tick when small stuff gets in the tires. Otherwise a very good all around bike so far, with shockingly great range from that power sipping motor and only a 400 battery.

So far there is zero rattle on mine but with all of the leaves on the ground and more debris I am sure I will get an annoying tick on occasion. I hope it is not an issue will keep my eye on it but I love the narrow sleek look with the stock fenders and I was riding I rode on a very wet surface yesterday and as narrow as they are it kept water from being thrown up on me.

I also demo'ed a trek powerfly. That Bosch motor kicked like a mule! jk. It did have considerably more power though. It was also twice as expensive. 3x as expensive?

Whatever Bosch motor they're using on the verve compromises the e-biking experience unnecessarily.

The eVerve is a great platform ; I hope Trek expands the drive and battery availablity on this model in the future .
As it is currently offered it appears to be successful with different types of buyers .
For example , this is a great platform for someone rehabilitating from an injury .

Your asking about the Verve + , not the Verve +2 ?
What's the price ?
What are your impressions ?

I've ridden them both .
The Active Line drive is near silent , silky smooth , and delivers a very gentle power curve with low torque .
I find the ride anemic and unspirited . It can climb hills but I think the bike was designed for the flat paths .
And with a non-suspension fork the ride can be jarring on anything less than smooth pavement .
The Verve + has an issue with the fenders rattling ; this was corrected on the Verve +2 .
Having said that , if you search the forums you'll find many happy owners of the Verve's .
I really wanted to buy the Verve +2 ! I think even at list price of $2500 it can be considered a good value .
It's relatively light weight and the build quality is top notch , as is Trek's service . And the bike comes with a rear rack , lights , and fenders .
Comfortable upright riding position and a stable geometry .
I'm ok with the 20mph limit and the 400w/hr battery .
But at 40Nm torque , the Active Line drive is underpowered for my style of riding and needs .
I'm looking forward to trying the Verve +3 .

It's a price point bike, clearly. Trek wants at least some piece of the lower end market.

The problem with Trek is that they offer so many models they can't fully invest in any one. I've test ridden many Trek bikes over the years: rigid road bikes, suspension road bikes, mtb's, emtb's, e city bikes and I get the same impression over and over again.

Every single bike is under-engineered and requires tweaks or even significant redesigns. The company is stretched too thin and trying to cover too much ground. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Just buy the +2 .

The eVerve is a great platform ; I hope Trek expands the drive and battery availablity on this model in the future .
As it is currently offered it appears to be successful with different types of buyers .
For example , this is a great platform for someone rehabilitating from an injury .

What is nice is the interchangeability with the Powerpack 500. It is a great fit for me as I rode a traditional bike for 40 years, then struggled with some arthritis, mobility issues, and have to be careful because of minor heart problem. I wanted a fairly light weight E-bike to assist my peddling when needed, not overpower me. This bike safely allows me to gain stamina and strength. It is not for everyone, but for me, perfectly meets my needs.

Re: Power sipping motor ; what level assist are you riding in ?

Just buy the +2 .
I took the Verve + to another bike store which is clearing out some 2019 Cube bikes and compared it to a Cube Acid doing back to back climbs up Gatensbury bike lane which is a 1 km climb with an 18% grade at the top. The cube has the Activeline plus motor as opposed to the Active line on the Verve+. Both bikes made the climb but the Cube was a noticeably stronger climber. That leads me to conclude that the Active line plus is worth more money. How much I am not sure . The difference is like the Verve+ says" I can climb this hill so relax no worries", but the Acid says " I WANT to climb this hill so let us proceed". Nevertheless I am growing very fond of this little Verve +. So comfortable even without a front shock. Logic tells me to get the Active plus motor but a little voice in the back of my head says this Verve + is friendly like the family pet.
1574377531779.png

I just passed 1,200 miles on my Verve+, almost all from a 9-mile round trip commute. I've had it since April. I've been really happy with it as a city bike. I'll try it out on longer recreational rides next summer, but I might get a non-e gravel bike for that.

The lower power and lighter weight is what I want. It'll bail me out if there's a strong head wind (like today) or if there's a hill I don't want to climb, but mostly I ride in Eco mode because I want the exercise.

I have eyed the Priority Embark as a belt-driven upgrade, but I'm not sure it's worth the premium. (And I'm nowhere close to replacing the Verve+.)

I just passed 1,200 miles on my Verve+, almost all from a 9-mile round trip commute. I've had it since April. I've been really happy with it as a city bike. I'll try it out on longer recreational rides next summer, but I might get a non-e gravel bike for that.

The lower power and lighter weight is what I want. It'll bail me out if there's a strong head wind (like today) or if there's a hill I don't want to climb, but mostly I ride in Eco mode because I want the exercise.

I have eyed the Priority Embark as a belt-driven upgrade, but I'm not sure it's worth the premium. (And I'm nowhere close to replacing the Verve+.)

Apple Watch doesn't lie ; I'm getting much more "exercise" on my ebike which I ride at all assist levels vs. my push bike .

Back