I am thinking of buying a Trek Verve + ?

I took the Verve + to another bike store which is clearing out some 2019 Cube bikes and compared it to a Cube Acid doing back to back climbs up Gatensbury bike lane which is a 1 km climb with an 18% grade at the top. The cube has the Activeline plus motor as opposed to the Active line on the Verve+. Both bikes made the climb but the Cube was a noticeably stronger climber. That leads me to conclude that the Active line plus is worth more money. How much I am not sure . The difference is like the Verve+ says" I can climb this hill so relax no worries", but the Acid says " I WANT to climb this hill so let us proceed". Nevertheless I am growing very fond of this little Verve +. So comfortable even without a front shock. Logic tells me to get the Active plus motor but a little voice in the back of my head says this Verve + is friendly like the family pet.View attachment 41779

Whoo Hoo! Congrats Steve
Looks like you’re a new Verve owner 😃🚴🏾‍♂️
Photo?

I was about to say, he hasn't bought the bike yet!

I was actually under the assumption you had actually bought the bike: you seemed to be rather defensive in response to some of my observations about it's power output or lack thereof.

How did you manage to secure a full 4 day loaner however?!? Did you not pay at all for this? Trek actually advertised a free weekend or was it a free week demo for any e bike on their website several months ago if I'm not mistaken.

I passed on it. It sounded too good to be true. Even if it wasn't, I wasn't too keen on returning a bike after 3 or 4 full days of riding it without actually buying it afterwards. It seemed like there would be too much obligation to buy after the "free" demo period.

My Vektron has an ActiveLine motor. If it were on a heavy R&M, I’d probably be underwhelmed, but on the 49lb Vektron it’s well-suited for commuting and as a back-up bike. It’s not exciting, but it’s quiet and dependable. Despite the 20 mph cutoff and less power, I’ve taken the bike for 70 mile rides. I’ve found that in a second bike, I don’t mind the cutoff or the Purion, just to name two things people complain about.
You have hit the nail exactly on the head for me Dblhelix!

I have 4847 miles as of today commuting on a trek verve over a very hilly 20 miles per day. underpowered? compared to what? it's easy to get to work, every day, rain or shine, no sweat, or light sweat, compared to my regular bike, which gets me to work, but sweaty, and decidedly beat by the end of the week.

it's super powered, not underpowered, or at least definitely sufficiently powered.

i've had no problems with the bike except a fender bracket cracking, the dealer replaced the whole fender (over my objection, I just wanted the damn bracket to do myself, but they had none) under warranty. also, chain drop wedges the chain near the motor ina dumb way, they need a chain watcher on there)....

the trek verve is definitely enough.

I'd buy it again.

why would you want to go faster? enjoy the ride. wake up a little earlier. you can pedal as hard or soft as you want. i average 15 mph. that's good.

in turbo mode, i go up a very steep hill with very low effort...slowly, but without effort.

i lovemy trek verve ...id probably love other ebikes, if they gave me zero problems and there was a dealer nearby too.

i put a Jones handlebar, brooks saddle, carradice saddlebag, different pedals and it's perfection in its way!

Last edited:
I have 4847 miles as of today commuting on a trek verve over a very hilly 20 miles per day. underpowered? compared to what? it's easy to get to work, every day, rain or shine, no sweat, or light sweat, compared to my regular bike, which gets me to work, but sweaty, and decidedly beat by the end of the week.

it's super powered, not underpowered, or at least definitely sufficiently powered.

i've had no problems with the bike except a fender bracket cracking, the dealer replaced the whole fender (over my objection, I just wanted the damn bracket to do myself, but they had none) under warranty. also, chain drop wedges the chain near the motor ina dumb way, they need a chain watcher on there)....

I'd buy it again.

why would you want to go faster? enjoy the ride. wake up a little earlier. you can pedal as hard or soft as you want. i average 15 mph. that's good.

in turbo mode, i go up a very steep hill with very low effort...slowly, but without effort.

i lovemy trek verve ...id probably love other ebikes, if they gave me zero problems and there was a dealer nearby too.

i put a Jones handlebar, brooks saddle, carradice saddlebag, different pedals and it's perfection in its way!
Good post thank you.

I'd buy it again.

Post a photo please .

I'd buy it again.

There is an old saying in old France ; Never insult a man’s wine , or his bicycle !

Viva la Verve + !

Here's my verve daily rider. I don't usually carry a spare tire tho.

Attachments

• 20191119_073656.jpg
    20191119_073656.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 387
Well, at least he got four free full days of demoing in.

And Trek got a lot of free positive publicity for a model, which quite frankly, doesn't work very well. Bosch should just abandon this motor line altogether. It sucks.

Steve:
I had a bike with belt drive. I would not buy another. I rode a lot on dusty gravel thinking it was fine and it would not cause a problem. The next time I got caught in the rain I had dripping black water everywhere. The dust was accumulating between the teeth of the belt and on the rings. When you take into account the amount of area where this takes takes place you end up with a lot of this fine paste of water and mud.
John

When I ride on gravel in the rain on my bicycle with a derailleur same thing happens. Maybe I am missing what is worse with the belt setup?

And Trek got a lot of free positive publicity for a model, which quite frankly, doesn't work very well. Bosch should just abandon this motor line altogether. It sucks.
There seem to be a lot of comments that disagree with your "it sucks" take. Maybe having different motors to suit different tastes is a good idea for them.

I don't think this motor is under powered, it is a nice motor for bicycles like the Verve. There are also many people who find the support even on Eco too much in the Bosch CX so you should keep that in mind.

That being said, with the new generation Bosch Performance line(same weight, significantly more powerful, higher cadence support, smaller form factor) this motor should be picked only if price is right.

i dont think any bike sucks. I just love all bikes. I've ridden all kinds of bikes, some in sad shape, and I love them all. theya re all beautiful in their own way.

but the trek verve is unusually gorgeous.

i dont think any bike sucks. I just love all bikes. I've ridden all kinds of bikes, some in sad shape, and I love them all. theya re all beautiful in their own way.

but the trek verve is unusually gorgeous.

It is a nice looking bike. It's very underpowered however: there are far too many bikes being sold direct to consumer which offer superior performance and feature sets at significantly lower prices. Examples? Pretty much all of 'em.

I don't love every bike I've ever ridden. This is taking political correctness too far. Some were ill fitting, others bizarrely underpowered yet astronomically expensive (2017 and prior specialized emtb's), others relatively inexpensive but underpowered (trek verve), some are brilliant but with a few unacceptable component specs (my current specialized road bike with tektro brakes). And then there are those gems which take you by surprise (ratty looking radrover rentals which ride like a dream and pull brilliantly).

It's sad that you are succumbing to political correctness and censoring yourself. Facts and reality are your friend, not your enemy. That's how we learn and grow and improve: state things honestly.

BTW, after all of his praise of the verve and all of his defensive bleatings, Steve Mercier didn't buy the bike after all. Better to lose an argument and save $3K I always say.

im not sure it's politically correct to say I've never met a bike I didn't like. I am not aware that there is social pressure to not judge one bicycle as being "better" than another.

maybe it is part of an overall fear of judgment? . not sure.

but it's not true for me. It is how i feel.

a given bicycle might be overpriced, but that's not the bikes fault, that's the fault of the person who priced it.

it's also not the bikes fault it doesn't fit me. it probably fits someone else. I love it nonetheless. to try it is to walk a mile in someone else's shoes.

I would not buy every bike, just as I would not marry just any woman, but I can see that they really all are beautiful.

is a bicycle a commodity like a baggie or a nail that you buy and use and consume?

or is he more like a craftsman's tool, something which even cynics sometimes come to believe may have its own spirit?

I know it is not rational, but I lean toward the latter. I have loved some of my bicycles--not all, but some.. I bring them in the house, like my cat, and sit a while with them. I feel we are connected, which, you know, in some sense we are, at least physically.

I love their wheels, their cranks. I love that they roll.

who am i to say a bicycle is bad, when it has the potential to carry someone so far.

i love their worn out paint, but i love fresh paint.

I love derailleurs so much. but single speeds are gorgeous too.

and the internal hub? wonderful mystery!

and you know, at the end of the day, bicycles all are really incredibly alike.

there's not a whole lot of difference between one bike and another.

like people.

we are all more or less the same at the core.

the frames are about the same. for all the chatter about frame materials, they all feel the same to me.

like the skeleton of a human, is about the same across all mankind. with some variations in size, and the occasional sixth finger.

some of us have more power than others, but none of us are under-powered.

we are powered as we are.

not sure if this is political correctness, buddhism, or just being goofy, but that's how i feel.

but, yeah, from an objective point of view, the trek verve might very well have less power than a similarly priced or even way cheaper bike.

but if your direct to consumer motor breaks down, or the damn control panel craps out and is no longer made, and there's no dealer anywhere, you are really really underpowered!

how crappy can it be, my beloved bike has given me 5000 miles of easy commuting with no mechanical problems?

I love my trek verve. factually, honestly, from my heart, i believe it was worth 2k. I mean, come on man, a WARRANTY that you can use is WORTH COLD HARD CASH on the marketplace. say it's worth, i don't know, 300 bucks. and the dealer's presence , so you dont have to mail crap, is worth another 100. that's 400. really it's worth more, if it's your only vehicle, as downtime is very expensive, as it is for me. Id need to ride my old reg. bike. so really I only paid 1600 us dollars for it, if you count the warranty as 400.

i would say it is worth up to 2,550. a bargain at 2k.

Last edited:
Back