Trek Verve+ 2 or Momentum Transend E+ ?

dubdevil89

Region
Australia
Hi all,

I'm considering either:

Trek Verve+ 2 https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bikes/hybrid-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/verve/verve-2/p/585428/

or

Momentum Transend E+ https://www.momentum-biking.com/au/transend-eplus

I've narrowed it down to these two options largely because they both are from a renowned brand (with Momentum being a subsidiary of Giant) and have a removable battery (kind of a must for me given there is no plug socket anywhere near where I park my bike).

I'll largely be using it for my 6-7km commute (each way), 4-5 days a week, which is largely on very flat terrain. However, I'll also be using it for short shop runs and would also like to use it for occasional longer (10-20km) journeys involving hilly sections.

I've been a regular cyclist for 20 years and own a decent road bike (a 4-year-old Trek Domane) but I want a hybrid/commuter ebike so my commute/shorter runs are easier and so that occasional longer journeys are possible (and comfy!).

I'm going to test ride them but which of these two bikes would you recommend? They're both within my budget so please ignore the price as a factor.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Hi @dubdevil89,

Of the two, the Momentum Transend is a far better e-bike in all aspects:
  • A bigger battery
  • A stronger motor
  • Nice integration
  • Better components
  • Older Bosch E-Bike system on the Trek compared to the current Yamaha/Giant system on the Momentum
  • Nice Internally Geared Hub on the Momentum with the simple approach to the chain (a cheap derailleur on the Trek).
Your 14 km round trip commute on flat terrain is nothing for an e-bike. Still, your needs might grow and you would be badly disappointed with the substandard battery on the Trek (which is ugly in the first place while the Momentum is very nice looking!)

Be aware that:
  • The Trek comes with a barebone display but it still has the display
  • The Momentum has no display. It has a controller with LEDs that tell you something about the battery level but nothing on your current speed or distance ridden. However, the Ride Control remote has the ANT+ capability, meaning you could use a bike GPS computer such as Garmin or Wahoo or Karoo2 or an ANT+ smartwatch as the e-bike display. (Technically speaking, you could use a smartphone with the Giant Ride Control app, too, but I have never had positive experiences with that app).
Of course, do the demo rides but you asked for opinions, so I have provided mine!

Hi @dubdevil89,

Of the two, the Momentum Transend is a far better e-bike in all aspects:
  • A bigger battery
  • A stronger motor
  • Nice integration
  • Better components
  • Older Bosch E-Bike system on the Trek compared to the current Yamaha/Giant system on the Momentum
  • Nice Internally Geared Hub on the Momentum with the simple approach to the chain (a cheap derailleur on the Trek).
Your 14 km round trip commute on flat terrain is nothing for an e-bike. Still, your needs might grow and you would be badly disappointed with the substandard battery on the Trek (which is ugly in the first place while the Momentum is very nice looking!)

Be aware that:
  • The Trek comes with a barebone display but it still has the display
  • The Momentum has no display. It has a controller with LEDs that tell you something about the battery level but nothing on your current speed or distance ridden. However, the Ride Control remote has the ANT+ capability, meaning you could use a bike GPS computer such as Garmin or Wahoo or Karoo2 or an ANT+ smartwatch as the e-bike display. (Technically speaking, you could use a smartphone with the Giant Ride Control app, too, but I have never had positive experiences with that app).
Of course, do the demo rides but you asked for opinions, so I have provided mine!
Wow, what a detailed reply, thank you so much! Out of curiosity, have you got any personal experience riding either bike (or similar)?

I own a Trek Verve +3, which would spec out closer to the Momentum you are looking at. Stefan is correct, the Momentum has better specs except having a couple of fewer gears. I have no experience with either one but I did test ride a Verve +2 and picked the Verve +3 for the stronger motor and battery. The Trek is cheaper too if that’s a factor. On flat ground for the commute you are looking at either bike would work fine but for longer rides and hills the Momentum would be better.

Wow, what a detailed reply, thank you so much! Out of curiosity, have you got any personal experience riding either bike (or similar)?
I had a Giant Trance E+, an e-MTB. I liked the motor but did not understand the value the RideControl controller/remote was giving me at that time! (Now, my brother rides the Trance E+ and uses his Garmin as the e-bike display).

I have been into e-bikes for 3 years and 9 months, of which I have been a careful reader and active participant of EBR Forum. I can read the specs and have enough of experience to give the advice. You might ask your bike store whether the Momentum had "thru-axles" (it is not in the specs). The Verve+ 2 has Quick Release axles, which is not the best thing on an e-bike. I wonder whether Momentum could have thru-axles or it is also equipped with the QR.

I own a Trek Verve +3, which would spec out closer to the Momentum you are looking at. Stefan is correct, the Momentum has better specs except having a couple of fewer gears. I have no experience with either one but I did test ride a Verve +2 and picked the Verve +3 for the stronger motor and battery. The Trek is cheaper too if that’s a factor. On flat ground for the commute you are looking at either bike would work fine but for longer rides and hills the Momentum would be better.
Thanks man. The verve 3 isn’t available (yet?) here in Australia so sadly that’s not an option for me.

I had a Giant Trance E+, an e-MTB. I liked the motor but did not understand the value the RideControl controller/remote was giving me at that time! (Now, my brother rides the Trance E+ and uses his Garmin as the e-bike display).

I have been into e-bikes for 3 years and 9 months, of which I have been a careful reader and active participant of EBR Forum. I can read the specs and have enough of experience to give the advice. You might ask your bike store whether the Momentum had "thru-axles" (it is not in the specs). The Verve+ 2 has Quick Release axles, which is not the best thing on an e-bike. I wonder whether Momentum could have thru-axles or it is also equipped with the QR.
Thanks a lot! I’m test riding them both tomorrow so I’ll ask about the axles. You mean whether the wheels are quick release?

Given you are commuting, consider lights, bell, luggage rack. All standard equipment on the Trek. My wife rides the Verve+2 with over 4k miles. Not a lot of miles but all worry-free. We have no experience with the Momentum but it looks like a decent bike. I had a Verve+3 and sold it for a Trek Allant+7s. The 7 is Trek’s commuter bike with front suspension and a decent rear carrier.

Sparky has a good point. The pictures of the momentum don’t show any fenders or a rack where they are standard on the Trek. It’s easy to add them but will add to the cost a little bit.

It rains more often than you’d imagine, especially here in Melbourne! My road bike doesnt have mud guards, to save weight, but I plan to get some for the e-bike (given the motor can compensate for any added weight).
If you do not ride to work in a suit then AssSavers will do. Or, there are universal mudguards from SKS, Zefal and others.

It rains more often than you’d imagine, especially here in Melbourne! My road bike doesnt have mud guards, to save weight, but I plan to get some for the e-bike (given the motor can compensate for any added weight).
The Momentum’s Internal Geared Hub sounds attractive. Be sure to check your dealer’s recommended maintenance program. And, don’t forget to buy the optional kickstand.

IMG_3717.jpeg

Hi all,

After test riding both yesterday I bought the Transend. Took a photo of it after my first ride on it today, hope you can see it. It weighs a tonne compared to my road bike but I quite like the look of it. The kind of blue-ey grey paint job in particular is quite nice.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it was really helpful. If anyone reading this has any questions about the bike let me know and I’ll answer them if I can.

Back