hub motors

robert carroll

Hi, I am new to the community. I have, what is perhaps, a strange question. I have a trike with a 20" 48v motor. It occurred to me one day that the displays are probably in control of the motor and other functions. If this is essentially true, could I use a 26" wheel with its motor mounted to the 20" frame. I would have to change the wheel size in the display. What else would I have to change?

Check out Endlesssphere.com. Welcome,if you can't get your question answered. Or (Grin technologies.com)

Technically the display is not in control of the motor, the controller is what sends the current to the motor. The display is a way to input data to the controller, and read out the information. Some systems have a pretty course choice, such as just wheel size. You can't accurately enter actual tire circumference in them. If you use an oversized tire, the readings won't be highly accurate. Not sure what you would gain with the 26", you'd probably loose some torque.

The 26" wheel fits in the trike? If it does, you can probably wire it up. Controllers and motors tend to have common wiring scheme, except that the wire colors may not match up.

After that, the functionality of the controller might not match the motor. Some controllers have setup menus to cover battery voltage, available watts, wheel diameter, external/internal speed sensor, number of magnets in the motor, and more. That's what the display is for, to make the system useful for different motor configurations.

You see controllers with nothing more than a throttle and maybe a pedal assist level. Those are pretty much hardwired for a single function, which is to spin the wheel..

Technically the display is not in control of the motor, the controller is what sends the current to the motor. The display is a way to input data to the controller, and read out the information. Some systems have a pretty course choice, such as just wheel size. You can't accurately enter actual tire circumference in them. If you use an oversized tire, the readings won't be highly accurate. Not sure what you would gain with the 26", you'd probably loose some torque.
Thanks for the information. It will keep me from making an error.

Back