How well did you do in January?

Afren

Both Nov and Dec I hardly cycled not because of the cold weather but because I was away and no access to any bikes. January I only managed eight rides due to the awful weather we've been having here in Europe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200205_142519.jpg
    Screenshot_20200205_142519.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 316
  • Screenshot_20200205_142648.jpg
    Screenshot_20200205_142648.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 322
  • Screenshot_20200205_142543.jpg
    Screenshot_20200205_142543.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 320
I'm really enjoying the cold weather rides - they're so invigorating! I'm not going out if there is lots of ice or much snow, but ebike riding with hand and face protection in the winter is more fun than in the good weather. I'd never be getting this much exercise outdoors and stretching my lungs otherwise.

Both Nov and Dec I hardly cycled not because of the cold weather but because I was away and no access to any bikes. January I only managed eight rides due to the awful weather we've been having here in Europe.
LOL

For 2020, 75 miles so far in 9 rides for me. 25 miles in 3 rides for my wife.

I've gotten used to riding in 40F weather, but never in snow. Also won't ride if there is residual ice. Too treacherous.

I rode 282 km in January, and additional 105 km in the first two days of February. The weather in Poland was +1-8 C (34-46 F) and there are strong winds blowing. Luckily no snow or ice.

Dec 14th onwards - 298(Dec) 502(Jan) It's almost spring here in UK. Have fresh ivy buds already opened and other bushes have burst out too. The only snow has been? Snowdrops, they are almost now done - at least a month early coming out!

What about winds where you live? The temperatures are OK, the winds are terrible here.

View attachment 45243

Ha, now the winds this (so called winter) have been very strong usually prevailing from the west to SW. No sign so far of the "Beast from the East" If we get that this time of the year? Where I live on the east coast, it's a killer straight from Russia over the North Sea. First thing it hits is my windows.

Same here @Jaxx. Westerly to SW. I happens to me to wear pretty light cycling clothes as for the season but the wind protection is essential. No ride without a warm helmet, goggles, windbreaker, tubular scarf, gloves, wind-resistant trousers and warm shoes.

Same here @Jaxx. Westerly to SW. I happens to me to wear pretty light cycling clothes as for the season but the wind protection is essential. No ride without a warm helmet, goggles, windbreaker, tubular scarf, gloves, wind-resistant trousers and warm shoes.

Oh, nowhere that cold Stefan. Average temperatures been around 10c had 15c last weekend about same again tomorrow. I've had to mow the lawn twice, and now have the ivy hedge with fresh growth. Hawthorn hedges also have new growth. Only used my winter bike (with mudguards) twice since late November.

What about winds where you live? The temperatures are OK, the winds are terrible here.

Living at the base of the Rockies in Denver I've learned that winter warm temps means lots of wind as fronts are preceded by winds blowing down the mtns and warming as they drop. Last weekend was 67 Sat, 75 Sun, winds around 20 mph gusts to 35; Monday we got 3-6" snow, temps dropped to -5F by Wed morning. Rode both days of the weekend, spent the past couple cleaning the bike. I'll ride down to about 40F but not on snow/ice.

Living at the base of the Rockies in Denver I've learned that winter warm temps means lots of wind as fronts are preceded by winds blowing down the mtns and warming as they drop. Last weekend was 67 Sat, 75 Sun, winds around 20 mph gusts to 35; Monday we got 3-6" snow, temps dropped to -5F by Wed morning. Rode both days of the weekend, spent the past couple cleaning the bike. I'll ride down to about 40F but not on snow/ice.

The same effect happens up in Scotland in the Western Highlands (forget the name of the condition that causes it) when the wind blows off the Atlantic. Few days ago it was 6c down South in London area, up in the Highlands which is only about 1000 miles from Iceland the temp was 18c (a record)

Horrible numbers over here for January... just 106 miles. Cold snaps, just enough snow or sleet to keep road shoulders unsafe and paths covered, and it’s actually a very easy winter given what can happen up this way. Sleet and ice all day today, tonight and tomorrow. North of us they’re looking at up to two feet of snow in the Adirondacks by tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Back