How to turn off the power when the key is not in the battery, so the bike can not be ridden away, at least electrically

ebikebob

Hi, my ebike can be ridden off by anyone whenever the battery is inserted. You just turn on the LCD and away you go.
The battery itself is a reention dorado battery, and that's where I insert my key. I for some reason expected this to operate more like a traditional vehicle, where if the key is inserted, only then will the bike be able to be pedaled, at least electrically.

Anyway to change the settings? I have the same controller as the VOLTBIKE YUKON 500W AND VOLTBIKE URBAN
If not, do any ebikes behave the way I am talking about?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.00.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.00.00 AM.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 365
Easiest approach, if you have disk brakes is to mount one of these rotor locks. Then they cannot ride your bike away on pedals, but they could still toss it in a vehicle.

Many displays can be password protected. Have you looked in the manual?

I'm not sure why it would make a difference if they can ride it away electrically or not, because either way your bike is stolen!

Just keep you bike with you. If it aint with you and you cant see it, it better be locked with a Ulock and good cable and that maybe only buys you a half hour max before loser boy whips out his angle grinder and puts your pride and joy in the back of his crappy beat to sh** truck...

Hi, my ebike can be ridden off by anyone whenever the battery is inserted. You just turn on the LCD and away you go.
The battery itself is a reention dorado battery, and that's where I insert my key. I for some reason expected this to operate more like a traditional vehicle, where if the key is inserted, only then will the bike be able to be pedaled, at least electrically.

Anyway to change the settings? I have the same controller as the VOLTBIKE YUKON 500W AND VOLTBIKE URBAN
If not, do any ebikes behave the way I am talking about?
The Specialized Vado/Como ebikes work as your bike does; they cannot be electrically disabled. The display is also hard wired so it can't be removed as a way to disable these bikes. I would prefer some way to lock out the electrical functions when I'm in the market, but short of some custom wiring changes I resort to mechanical locks. I especially like destinations where I can lock the bike to a fixed object so it can't simply be picked up and loaded into a thief's truck.

That key has nothing to do with the electronics as you discovered. It just locks down the battery.

I wonder what happened to that stink bomb anti theft device that was talked about a few years ago?

Fixed gear bikes are popular in the city because if someone just hops on one you can usually find the bike within a few blocks next to a big patch of skin.

If I do start leaving/locking my Allant, I will definitely remove and carry my battery. That way, if it is stolen, I‘ll have a spare battery when my insurance replaces my ebike.🤓

Back