How to Prevent Flat Tires on Electric Bikes

Had my first ebike flat today. Still not sure what the problem was. When I'm on the road I swap in a new tube and examine the flat at my leisure when I get home. This being my first ebike, I bought a new KLIC HP Gauge And Co2 Hand Pump, threw in a new tube, a couple of CO2 cartridges, and I was on my way.

Prior to my ebike, my only experience changing flats on the road was my 700c road bike tires. It's a slightly different skill set. Much easier to get a tire back on the rim of an ebike, IMO. But I had never used CO2 to fill a tire before. So the combination of first time factors made the experience take (for me) longer than it should. I am not the greatest bike mechanic in the world, to put it mildly. Fortunately it was a beautiful day, and my endorphins kept my frustration in check.

After going through the experience, my recommendation is this: Do your first ebike tire change at home. There is always a bit of a learning curve when doing something for the first time. It's a lot better to learn what you're doing at home, instead of when it is dark or raining. If you've never changed a tire before, learn at home first.

product called Tannus Armor that is designed to reduce flats on bicycles. Here is a link to the product page. They have different sizes for Schrader, Presta, and Tubeless tires an
My local Pedego dealer is now carrying these. I haven’t gotten them (they are pretty spendy). What I did do was get the most flat resistant tire I could find when I needed new tires, Schwalbe’s super moto X. Great tires. No more flats. :) I don't know if they make them in sizes for fat tire bikes.

I think your parents have great times ahead on their new ebikes! :)

• Tannus Armour is not available for tubeless tyres; it is a barrier between tyre and tube.
  • Valve type, typically Schrader or Presta, is irrelevant when choosing Tannus Armour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea. It will definitely be interesting to see how the concept adapts to wider tires. I’m also curious as to why the orange colour... it wouldn’t be my choice if I had an option.
Why on earth would the color matter?
I will be very glad to try those if they ever make them for 26 x 4 tires!

TT
I am pretty sure they do. Tinkering Turtle did an install on his on youtube

I've just had 26" x 4.0" Tannus Armour fitted in the tires of my Boostbikes Scout (the name of the Revi Cheetah here in New Zealand) - I purchased the Armour for its puncture protection qualities, but am also enjoying the extra "cushiness" the inserts provide- I can run a lower tire pressure and not suffer the self steering effect that lower pressure without the inserts creates. The inserts provide a damped effect with lower pressure, rather than the bouncy feeling lower pressure can cause.

I was talking about Gaadi-style tubes. I am pretty sure neither Gaadi nor Huffy make 26x4 split tubes (or whatever you call them). It's been a couple of months since i really looked.

TT

• Tannus Armour is not available for tubeless tyres; it is a barrier between tyre and tube.
  • Valve type, typically Schrader or Presta, is irrelevant when choosing Tannus Armour.
Rims drilled for a presta valve will not allow the fatter schrader valve to pass through without some file or drilling work. And once that hole is enlarged, you're not going to be able to go back to presta valves........something for our new riders to remember when they outfit their tire repair kit bag for their road trips! :)

I had two flats now in 6 months of riding in the Bay Area and chose to install Tannus Armour puncture protection inserts. Not sure if the ride is a bit different with these inserts. Will see how it goes on longer distances.

Last edited:
I had two flats now in 6 months of riding in the Bay Area and chose to install Tannus Armour puncture protection inserts. Not sure if the ride is a bit different with these inserts. Seems a bit wobblier. Will see how it goes on longer distances.
I have read the solid foam inserts feel like riding on flats and can deform standing still for a while (flat spot).
A friend advised going to a bike shop and picking up some discarded tires (slicks) and cutting them down to insert, he swears by them.

I'm having a laugh over these "wives tales" about the T/A shifting and not re-centering itself :rolleyes: or that it will deform from sitting still and feel like riding on flat spots....:rolleyes:

I can help reassure everyone's nervousnesss about the T/A inserts as I have now several thousand miles on the odometer after installing them in August 2020 and have had absolutely no issues like those described above me from owners who clearly are not running with the T/A's. I can tell you it's a great product but it is not infallible as I suffered a puncture in the rear tire this October, by a quarter inch thorn that made it's way past the Jumbo Jim 4.0 and the meatiest section of the T/A. Meh, just part of doing business with a 120tpi, supple fat bike tire with a lot of weight atop it.

Fwiw-I'd done Tubelesss. I've done Mr Tuffy Tire Liners. I've done thick tubes by Surly. The price of doing business on the shoulder of the road is putting your bike right in the path of all of the garbage that makes it's way out of a motorists window or pickup bed or garbage truck!

100_4680.JPG

100_4681.JPG

100_4688.JPG

100_4679.JPG

Rims drilled for a presta valve will not allow the fatter schrader valve to pass through without some file or drilling work. And once that hole is enlarged, you're not going to be able to go back to presta valves........something for our new riders to remember when they outfit their tire repair kit bag for their road trips! :)
I have no experience going from one valve type to another on the same wheel, but I would think that if there isn't a ready-made adapter for Schrader to Presta that a well-chosen metal washer, or even a plastic one, would work.

TT

I have no experience going from one valve type to another on the same wheel, but I would think that if there isn't a ready-made adapter for Schrader to Presta that a well-chosen metal washer, or even a plastic one, would work.

TT
I did a quick check with Universal Cycles, Tars, and there is no such thing. Now, they have adapters that will thread onto a presta tube valve, which then allows a person to air up their presta tube using a schrader air pump head......but there is no such thing to allow a person to go back to a presta tube valve once he or she drills out his rim valve hole to accomodate the larger schrader tube valve.

I'm having a laugh over these "wives tales" about the T/A shifting and not re-centering itself :rolleyes: or that it will deform from sitting still and feel like riding on flat spots....:rolleyes:

I can help reassure everyone's nervousnesss about the T/A inserts as I have now several thousand miles on the odometer after installing them in August 2020 and have had absolutely no issues like those described above me from owners who clearly are not running with the T/A's. I can tell you it's a great product but it is not infallible as I suffered a puncture in the rear tire this October, by a quarter inch thorn that made it's way past the Jumbo Jim 4.0 and the meatiest section of the T/A. Meh, just part of doing business with a 120tpi, supple fat bike tire with a lot of weight atop it.

Fwiw-I'd done Tubelesss. I've done Mr Tuffy Tire Liners. I've done thick tubes by Surly. The price of doing business on the shoulder of the road is putting your bike right in the path of all of the garbage that makes it's way out of a motorists window or pickup bed or garbage truck!

View attachment 73621
View attachment 73622
View attachment 73623
View attachment 73624
If you are insuieting my post about flat spots and smooshy feel as a wives tale,... I would advise to carfully read posts,.. as mine was in regards to "solid foam inserts" solid foam means NO inner tube,.. not T/A's. Reading is fundamental.

I did a quick check with Universal Cycles, Tars, and there is no such thing. Now, they have adapters that will thread onto a presta tube valve, which then allows a person to air up their presta tube using a schrader air pump head......
but there is no such thing to allow a person to go back to a presta tube valve once he or she drills out his rim valve hole to accomodate the larger schrader tube valve.
There is a lot of misinformation on this thread... I'll start with this. Amazon.com : Quad Wheels Manufacturing Presta Stem Saver for Schraeder Rims : Bike Brakes : Sports & Outdoors

1607322134728.png

Thanks for that information, 911. Never too old to learn, LOL. Figured if a place like Universal did not carry it, then it ain't out there. Anywho, if for whatever reason folks feel the need to drill out their rim to make room for a schrader valve/tube, then I hope they realize that the little insert there is going to have to go under the rim strip, lest they risk abrading and wearing the rubber surrounding the valve with that metal insert.

In all of my years of riding and the other forum I participate in, I simply do not ever recall seeing anyone drilling a presta sized rim out for a schrader. I'd advise against it; the presta with it's locknut keeps that tube in place when mtb'ers air down to single digits.

I did a quick check with Universal Cycles, Tars, and there is no such thing. Now, they have adapters that will thread onto a presta tube valve, which then allows a person to air up their presta tube using a schrader air pump head......but there is no such thing to allow a person to go back to a presta tube valve once he or she drills out his rim valve hole to accomodate the larger schrader tube valve.
Given how wheel rims are made, I can't possibly see how drilling out a bigger hole in the rim would be a good idea.

Back