How to make Vado feel more like a Como?

I'm seeing some info about handlebar height in this thread. First: I agree that the Como is not a cruiser, not a aero road speeder, it's a combo of both, kind of.
I gotta Como 4, love it, but handlebar height could be just a little higher to help pull my hands off somewhat and a tad more upright saddle position. I think the stock height is all that's available, meaning I can't add a spacer to existing. In trying to remove vibration on my 64 year old mechanic's hands I may go with Redshift Shock Stop dampening stem device. As I understand it from their tech service (which seems very good) it will raise my stock height 10mm but that's less than a quarter inch. Can the steering tube ( part that stem mounts to ?) Be extended?
Got the right size bike, just need a little modification, we ride everyday.

I'm seeing some info about handlebar height in this thread. First: I agree that the Como is not a cruiser, not a aero road speeder, it's a combo of both, kind of.
I gotta Como 4, love it, but handlebar height could be just a little higher to help pull my hands off somewhat and a tad more upright saddle position. I think the stock height is all that's available, meaning I can't add a spacer to existing. In trying to remove vibration on my 64 year old mechanic's hands I may go with Redshift Shock Stop dampening stem device. As I understand it from their tech service (which seems very good) it will raise my stock height 10mm but that's less than a quarter inch. Can the steering tube ( part that stem mounts to ?) Be extended?
Got the right size bike, just need a little modification, we ride every day.
You are correct, the standard Como 'aero' style stem can't be raised as the fork steerer tube has been trimmed for this stem.

BTW 10mm = 0.4 inches. Would that be enough extra height with the Redshift stem?

Their web site describes both 6-degree & 30-degree stem angles. Since the Como 4 comes with a 20-degree rise stem as standard equipment, I assume they're quoting their 30-degree stem? Note that their 30-degree stem is only available in a 100mm (~4 inch) length. I'm not sure what the Como stem length is but if it's less than 100mm you'll be stretching out to the handlebar a bit more which doesn't sound like what you want.

Yes, the steerer tube can be extended. There are stem extenders and adjustable stem extenders from a number of manufacturers. There are also shock-absorbing handlebars (BAM). These have been discussed on other threads as well if you want comments from others on these options.

Enjoy your new ebike!

Really liking this setup on my Como. Redshift suspension stem (30°upright 100mm), Ergon GP2 grips, and a Hafny 68mm bar end mirror. At first I tried to install a stem riser but there was not enough cable slack to accommodate it. My right wrist and shoulder are much more comfortable after these changes. IMG_20200722_174536602.jpgIMG_20200722_174546375.jpg

Not the best photo but I run Como bars on my Vado. Love the sweep, trimmed the bars down a little bit. If you want to change the stem you'll need to change the headset top cap. Not a big deal but an extra step worth noting. Also keep in mind if you raise the bars too much you'll need to run a longer rear brake hose as well as rear derialleur cable. Fairly involved and requires pulling the crank arms, spider, and motor covers.

We just went through that doing a TCD upgrade on a 2019 Como 3.0.

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_204331225.jpg
    IMG_20200702_204331225.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 363
Sierratim: I think the .4" increase would be about right but I can't get info on length from specialized paperwork.
More length=further reach, makes sense but not what I want.
I could measure it, center head bolt to center of handlebars I'd say.
I could ask Redshift guy to set me up with what he knows as well.
He's been very good via a few emails.
I have looked at the Baramind and like that design as well.

Teddcl: Added a different cap as mentioned. I see a bunch available with a simple search.
Did original bolt length work?
Also looks like you removed some original spacers?

Brendon@TBSM: What is the latest version of firmware or whatever for TCD/drive?
Is that info shown on TCD or is it Mission Control stuff?

Teddcl: Added a different cap as mentioned. I see a bunch available with a simple search.
I removed 2 of the spacers in order to have the stem positioned properly on the 1&1/8 inch steerer tube. I installed an old Giant top cap that I had in my parts bin but I have a plain black one on order. I used the original bolt to hold the top cap in place.

I removed 2 of the spacers in order to have the stem positioned properly on the 1&1/8 inch steerer tube. I installed an old Giant top cap that I had in my parts bin but I have a plain black one on order. I used the original bolt to hold the top cap in place.
Thanks for that info.

Sierratim: I think the .4" increase would be about right but I can't get info on length from specialized paperwork.
More length=further reach, makes sense but not what I want.
I could measure it, center head bolt to center of handlebars I'd say.
I could ask Redshift guy to set me up with what he knows as well.
He's been very good via a few emails.
I have looked at the Baramind and like that design as well.

Brendon@TBSM: What is the latest version of firmware or whatever for TCD/drive?
Is that info shown on TCD or is it Mission Control stuff?

I'm heading in early today to do another TCD install, I'll check then. I believe you should be able to see that on mission control too.

Looks like I have 4 spacers on tube under stem. Base spacer is 15mm, next is 10mm, then 2 at 5mm. It is at minimum insert point now. From center of handlebars to stem bolt is 60mm. If I install a 100mm stem it will put bars further away from saddle as Sierratim noted. 10 degree more rise increase will not neutralize that I wouldn't think. Steer tube height seems to be 62mm and I'm hearing its 1-1/8" diameter. Looks like only way to get handlebars toward saddle is to increase steer tube length by 20-30mm. Then try to figure which shockstop will work. Cant seem to find spec on existing stock stem rise. Think I'm on right track but searching for same concept doesn't get me anyone who changed out length of steer tub so feeling a bit confused.

Looks like I have 4 spacers on tube under stem. Base spacer is 15mm, next is 10mm, then 2 at 5mm. It is at minimum insert point now. From center of handlebars to stem bolt is 60mm. If I install a 100mm stem it will put bars further away from saddle as Sierratim noted. 10 degree more rise increase will not neutralize that I wouldn't think. Steer tube height seems to be 62mm and I'm hearing its 1-1/8" diameter. Looks like only way to get handlebars toward saddle is to increase steer tube length by 20-30mm. Then try to figure which shockstop will work. Cant seem to find spec on existing stock stem rise. Think I'm on right track but searching for same concept doesn't get me anyone who changed out length of steer tub so feeling a bit confused.
Check out this post by Stefan Mikes. He reports that he was able to raise his Vado handle bar 8.8cm without changing cables. He used a stem extender. He says his riding position is now upright.

Check out this post by Stefan Mikes. He reports that he was able to raise his Vado handle bar 8.8cm without changing cables. He used a stem extender. He says his riding position is now upright.

With the 2020 replacement of display to TCD-W, the cable slack shortened, and the rise had to be reduced to 7.0 cm. The riding position is "far less forward" but not upward now.

Stem riser adapter. Of course.
Sierratim also with links I saw later.
Good write up SMikes.
Going in that direction.
Thank you all.

Last edited:
Back