How to de-restrict a UK Vado

Going back to the original topic, has anyone successfully fitted a Peartune unit to a Turbo Vado SL 5.0 (2020 model)? I am trying a 'Peartune 3.0 Brose Specialized SL 1.1 Motor' but it doesn't seem to want to work (handlebar controls have no effect at all) so I'm wondering if it is the correct unit? Whilst dismantling to fit (which is not trivial as you have to remove front fork & motor to gain access for the cable routing) I notice the motor is marked Mahle, so maybe I have the wrong unit? @Stefan Mikes - is this the unit you fitted to your SL?

Going back to the original topic, has anyone successfully fitted a Peartune unit to a Turbo Vado SL 5.0 (2020 model)? I am trying a 'Peartune 3.0 Brose Specialized SL 1.1 Motor' but it doesn't seem to want to work (handlebar controls have no effect at all) so I'm wondering if it is the correct unit? Whilst dismantling to fit (which is not trivial as you have to remove front fork & motor to gain access for the cable routing) I notice the motor is marked Mahle, so maybe I have the wrong unit? @Stefan Mikes - is this the unit you fitted to your SL?
The proper dongle's name is PearTune 3.0 for Specialized Turbo Vado SL. It could be the Normal version (activated with the Walk Mode button while riding) or Always On.
You can get all the information and also order there from Katerina <[email protected]>. (Direct order gives you the best price, and it is paid from PayPal).

The actions necessary:
  • Drop the motor (it is damn easy and requires really no special tools)
  • Fish (route) the PearTune wires from the top-tube to the down-tube. This is a tricky process, requiring removing the fork totally. The reason is Specialized put a plastic collar into the headtube to prevent the internal cables against rubbing the metal. The collar effectively separates the top-tube from the down-tube.
  • Connecting plugs into the TCU and other plugs between the speed sensor and the motor.
I would not be able to do all that if I had no skilled brother :) PearTune works perfectly for me!

The proper dongle's name is PearTune 3.0 for Specialized Turbo Vado SL. It could be the Normal version (activated with the Walk Mode button while riding) or Always On.
You can get all the information and also order there from Katerina <[email protected]>. (Direct order gives you the best price, and it is paid from PayPal).

The actions necessary:
  • Drop the motor (it is damn easy and requires really no special tools)
  • Fish (route) the PearTune wires from the top-tube to the down-tube. This is a tricky process, requiring removing the fork totally. The reason is Specialized put a plastic collar into the headtube to prevent the internal cables against rubbing the metal. The collar effectively separates the top-tube from the down-tube.
  • Connecting plugs into the TCU and other plugs between the speed sensor and the motor.
I would not be able to do all that if I had no skilled brother :) PearTune works perfectly for me!
Thanks Stefan, I did all the above to fit the unit. It's not too difficult, just messy as there's a lot of grease around the front fork bearing. I ordered the 'Normal' version from Two Wheel Empire but it's not wanting to work at all so I'm waiting for advice from them (and they are asking the 'manufacturer' i.e. Katerina).

Thanks Stefan, I did all the above to fit the unit. It's not too difficult, just messy as there's a lot of grease around the front fork bearing. I ordered the 'Normal' version from Two Wheel Empire but it's not wanting to work at all so I'm waiting for advice from them (and they are asking the 'manufacturer' i.e. Katerina).
A user @giantkn10 here made a mistake by wrongly connecting the plugs of his PearTune. Care to re-read this thread? (It was not the SL I think).

A user @giantkn10 here made a mistake by wrongly connecting the plugs of his PearTune. Care to re-read this thread? (It was not the SL I think).
Yes, I'd seen that. Once of my concerns was that the motor speed sensor wire colours didn't match what was shown on the instruction sheet (which shows red+green & red+blue for the 2 cables - clearly my wires are not the same colours!). I'm awaiting manufacturer feedback on all this!
[the red+black connector goes onto the motor and the green+yellow pins push into the speed sensor connector (which was previously directly connected onto the motor) ]
1650998447920.png

Yes, I'd seen that. Once of my concerns was that the motor speed sensor wire colours didn't match what was shown on the instruction sheet (which shows red+green & red+blue for the 2 cables - clearly my wires are not the same colours!). I'm awaiting manufacturer feedback on all this!
[the red+black connector goes onto the motor and the green+yellow pins push into the speed sensor connector (which was previously directly connected onto the motor) ]
View attachment 121443
Katerina sorted it for me (via the supplier Two Wheels Empire), it was a connector issue on the TCU end. They need better instructions! Now working exactly as expected, though not sure why when riding pressing the walk button to revert back to 'normal' mode glitches my Garmin Edge 1030+ with a lap pause/restart.

why when riding pressing the walk button to revert back to 'normal' mode glitches my Garmin Edge 1030+ with a lap pause/restart.
That's all very strange as riding with a Garmin 530 was turning the derestriction on automatically on the motor start (never happens with a Wahoo).

Big news! The PearTune 3.0 works! I had an epiphany while driving home from work today.

All of the connectors are made to only fit together one way... except for the very last connector! The round connector from the tuner to the bike motor can actually fit upside down. I installed this tuner 4 previous times and all 4 times I plugged it in upside down. I assumed it was correct and only fit one way like the other connectors. That was a wrong assumption. As soon as I figured out it would fit the other way I knew it would work.

They really need good instructions for this... or completely dummy proof the connectors so they all fit one way only.

So if you install this tuner and get a speed sensor error message, plug in the round connector with the black wire on top, NOT the red wire.

View attachment 119867View attachment 119869View attachment 119871View attachment 119872
I just want to confirm - is this a 2022 model? I'm wondering if this would work on my 2022 Vado 5.0 IGH. Thanks!

I have the Peartune 3.0 for my Creo and the first time I assembled it, I got the magnet sensors around the wrong way to. Once I swapped these, it worked fine. I have the walk version and can switch the unit on and off using the walk button on remote. I don't think there is any difference in the wiring between the always on and walk on/off versions. The Peartune is the only de-restrictor I have seen that reports the correct speed, so will need the magnet input to do this.

I just want to confirm - is this a 2022 model? I'm wondering if this would work on my 2022 Vado 5.0 IGH. Thanks!
I have just fitted the PearTune 3 to my 2022 Vado 5.0 IGH and it works!

This is the email I received from twowheelsempire

Hello Phil,

I appreciate Your email and I apologize for my delayed response.

For Your Turbo Full Power System 2.2 motor and MasterMind TCU - we recommend You this Peartune
https://www.twowheelsempire.com/en-...g-kit-peartune-specialized-2-2-2021-2022-gen3
How to install - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-phWOTEzYuU&ab_channel=PearTuneMSO. ;

Please be aware that tuning kit has 2 variants: Normal and Still-On.
You can activate your Tuning kit by pressing the 'WALK' button or + - buttons with Normal variant. For Specialized 2.2 eBikes without 'WALK' button, the module is also available in a ‘Still-On’ version, where the tuning is always active as soon as you switch on the eBike.

NOTE: If Your Specialized is from 2022 - You need to activate it with one short or long press of the walk, or sometimes the walk function is under the "+" button by these new Specialized bikes.

With this tuning kit You will be able to see real speed values on Your display and Specialized Mission Control App.

We do not have Peartune 4.0 available yet, but if You wish to wait - You can stay tuned!

If You have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
Sima Andriejaitytė
Customer Service Manager
TWO WHEELS EMPIRE
m: +447596351877
w:www.twowheelsempire.com; e: s[email protected]

I have just fitted the PearTune 3 to my 2022 Vado 5.0 IGH and it works!

This is the email I received from twowheelsempire

Hello Phil,

I appreciate Your email and I apologize for my delayed response.

For Your Turbo Full Power System 2.2 motor and MasterMind TCU - we recommend You this Peartune
https://www.twowheelsempire.com/en-...g-kit-peartune-specialized-2-2-2021-2022-gen3
How to install - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-phWOTEzYuU&ab_channel=PearTuneMSO. ;

Please be aware that tuning kit has 2 variants: Normal and Still-On.
You can activate your Tuning kit by pressing the 'WALK' button or + - buttons with Normal variant. For Specialized 2.2 eBikes without 'WALK' button, the module is also available in a ‘Still-On’ version, where the tuning is always active as soon as you switch on the eBike.

NOTE: If Your Specialized is from 2022 - You need to activate it with one short or long press of the walk, or sometimes the walk function is under the "+" button by these new Specialized bikes.

With this tuning kit You will be able to see real speed values on Your display and Specialized Mission Control App.

We do not have Peartune 4.0 available yet, but if You wish to wait - You can stay tuned!

If You have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
Sima Andriejaitytė
Customer Service Manager
TWO WHEELS EMPIRE
m: +447596351877
w:www.twowheelsempire.com; e: s[email protected]
Thanks!

Back