How On Earth Are Small Bike Companies Going to Continue?

reed scott

The 'Big Four' surely have all the juice with the industry and THEY can't even get the parts they want. So my title question. I'm seriously curious. You'd think they would be going under every day. I'm worried about this.

I wonder the same myself. Small companies still need to pay their workers and all that. Many small companies may be staying afloat based on pre-order type sales; for example, SONDORS has sold a whole boatload of orders for its new mid-drive line of bikes, but they haven't been shipped yet (to my knowledge). I think the first bikes are arriving to California sometime around now, then they still have to ship to individual customers... and the pre-orders started months ago. I've heard similar stories from other smaller ebike companies, they sell out on pre-orders but have lots of delays with getting them delivered.

I think most customers are being understanding since the entire industry is feeling the squeeze and everything is delayed. Perhaps the small companies are just coasting on pre-order sales, combined with whatever stimulus relief Uncle Sam is handing out?

Had the same thought just before Christmas. I was shopping for two ebikes and on a couple of forums. The original plan was to buy a bike when I retired. Everywhere I noticed a lack of stock. Long, frustrating deposit periods and delayed delivery. It occurred quite quickly that there was a looming shortage of stock. I bumped up my decision making and ordered two bikes that were in stock here in BC. Colour choice had to be compromised but I could sense if I didn’t buy right then, I might not have a bike till late summer. Within days of ordering both bikes were sold out and taking pre orders in March. Good for me, scary for the small bike company.

I am not sure the real reality of this has fully hit home yet.

Last edited:
I wonder the same myself. Small companies still need to pay their workers and all that. Many small companies may be staying afloat based on pre-order type sales; for example, SONDORS has sold a whole boatload of orders for its new mid-drive line of bikes, but they haven't been shipped yet (to my knowledge). I think the first bikes are arriving to California sometime around now, then they still have to ship to individual customers... and the pre-orders started months ago. I've heard similar stories from other smaller ebike companies, they sell out on pre-orders but have lots of delays with getting them delivered.

I think most customers are being understanding since the entire industry is feeling the squeeze and everything is delayed. Perhaps the small companies are just coasting on pre-order sales, combined with whatever stimulus relief Uncle Sam is handing out?
I fear you are spot on. :oops:

Bubba. Same here. At least I have a bike. But it's a bike that was ordered by Bolton probably 10 months before I got it last month. What we have now could be the norm for quite some time.

It would make me feel a lot better if some of the new bike companies that participate here would come on and detail a bit on maybe how it isn't as bad as many fear.

What is this about? Or where could I find out more?
It's big topic and regularly comes up here on EBR and on bike oriented you tube pages and everywhere else bike related. Try the search function at upper right. Search you tube etc.

I think small outfits live by the next cargo ship arrival, but it's usually one guy with a website, Maybe it's one guy with five websites. Small payroll in any case, and they probably have day jobs. I don't put Sondors, RAD, or Voltbike in this category. They're not small. Ditto for newbies like Aventon.

No need to worry about the small guy, especially if they don't worry about you after the sale. If they do worry about you, they will grow and be fine.

I think small outfits live by the next cargo ship arrival, but it's usually one guy with a website, Maybe it's one guy with five websites. Small payroll in any case, and they probably have day jobs. I don't put Sondors, RAD, or Voltbike in this category. They're not small. Ditto for newbies like Aventon.

No need to worry about the small guy, especially if they don't worry about you after the sale. If they do worry about you, they will grow and be fine.
I mostly worry about one. Half because he has a LOT of my money and half because he's a great guy admired and liked by many here. 👍 :)🤣

It's big topic and regularly comes up here on EBR and on bike oriented you tube pages and everywhere else bike related. Try the search function at upper right. Search you tube etc.
sorry man, I don't have my ear to the ground, I don't even know what you are referencing in general. Thanks though.

sorry man, I don't have my ear to the ground, I don't even know what you are referencing in general. Thanks though.
Referencing Bikes, bike components, shipping problems, Covid lack of labor and or lockdowns, all totally screwed up the supply chain.

Most will not survive, some may merge with other makers as did Auto Union(audi). Harley & Indian
had dozens of competitors bur survived with an ´affordable yet superior product´. The Wright Bros.
simply diversified. In this case, most of the components are coming from a handful of makers supplying
dozens of ebike manufacturers. when I bought my current bike, I was looking for the next model T or
Honda cub. Your guess is as good as mine.

Well, some of the "small bike companies" are probably doing just fine. Yes, if your supply chain depends directly on bikes manufactured in China you are probably screwed. But I'm noticing that lead times from the cottage industry bike companies in the states are about the same as they've always been.

Well, some of the "small bike companies" are probably doing just fine. Yes, if your supply chain depends directly on bikes manufactured in China you are probably screwed. But I'm noticing that lead times from the cottage industry bike companies in the states are about the same as they've always been.
there will always be a demand for custom builds as an art form

I was very fortunate to get a Trek here in Canada, in the size I wanted, right away last July. I have been tempted to add a Powerfly FS4... my Trek dealer has 2 small frame ones in stock. I now think I will just stick with mine. I have upgraded it steadily, but realize some parts are in short supply. I have added tools so that when I see a part available online, I can now order it directly and install myself rather than hope the dealer might have what I need. It has worked out well for me so far. Happy I went with a mainstream line... for me it has worked out well.

I have very little experience with E-Bikes but I have not had to wait for my two bikes bought a year apart, granted both were new and newish companies but both bikes were in stock and shipped immediately
My newist bike is the Cheetah from Green Power Cycles and my first bike bought last December 2019 is from E-Cells

Attachments

• 05AC2261-3E4D-43F7-AA21-D57028AE730D.jpeg
    05AC2261-3E4D-43F7-AA21-D57028AE730D.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 256
  • AB545CE1-F16A-4DC7-BEA5-A6216D5D72AF.jpeg
    AB545CE1-F16A-4DC7-BEA5-A6216D5D72AF.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 241
The 'Big Four' surely have all the juice with the industry and THEY can't even get the parts they want. So my title question. I'm seriously curious. You'd think they would be going under every day. I'm worried about this.
If you really are concerned, I would suggest you focus future bike buys less on the company you buy from, and more on the components used to build the bike. Bikes assembled using quality, generic, non proprietary parts will be serviceable for years - even if the company that sold it to you folds.

This concept brings bikes sold by the big 4, and what they get for them, into question. Assume for just a second something happens to one of those big 4, the one you bought YOUR bike from. Are ALL of the parts required to service your bike still available with that company no longer able to supply them? No? What's that make that expensive big 4 bike worth now?

If you really are concerned, I would suggest you focus future bike buys less on the company you buy from, and more on the components used to build the bike.
Bikes assembled using quality, generic, non proprietary parts will be serviceable for years - even if the company that sold it to you folds.

This concept brings bikes sold by the big 4, and what they get for them, into question. Assume for just a second something happens to one of those big 4, the one you bought YOUR bike from.
Are ALL of the parts required to service your bike still available with that company no longer able to supply them? No? What's that make that expensive big 4 bike worth now?
Actually, the Big 4 are the most likely to use high-quality components from the major suppliers... Bosch, Brose, Shimano, and Yamaha.
These OEM companies have been in business for years and provide replacement parts. The smaller bike companies and their unique hardware/controllers... not so much.

Back