How much of your overall exercise is by riding an ebike? What other exercise do you alternate?

How often do you ebike and what other exercise do you alternate?

• Total voters

Trail Cruiser

If the weather permits, I almost exclusively do ebike exercise only.
Otherwise, I would be using my stationary exercise bike with all the fancy metrics or my stationary row machine.

Last edited:
There isn't a simple linear answer to this question.

From mid-November until early March, I typically won't be riding the bike at all. During that time I would be cross-country skiing.

In the shoulder seasons, from March to early June and from mid-September until mid-November I'd be e-biking more than ten hours a week.

During high summer I prefer to go backpacking or trail running and ride less, probably six or so hours per week.

My other exercise is just ... living my life. So ebiking really is it! I'm thinking, though, of using Saturday mornings to ebike to a gym and do some weight training, too! hmmm ....

Ebiking 5 times a week, 1 hour a day. I also run (barefoot), around 15 miles a week.
Snowboarding on winter weekends.

My ebike is part of my work-out program. I don't commute on it. I work out 5 to 6 times a week. During the "rideable" months, I will ride 3 times a week. The other days I'll use my Elliptical and/or my rower. If I was retired, I'd probably spend more time on my ebike. But by the time get home and do my "house chores" I don't have a lot of time. So a rower/elliptical allows me to get the work-out in...

In addition to frequent local bike rides, we like to pack the bikes up and take them to a destination trail for a treat/change of scenery. I also walk our 2 medium size rescue dogs for 20-30 minutes first thing every morning, 7 days a week, rain or shine. Same thing happens again in the afternoon, and if the wife is busy, that walk falls on me as well.

I feel, as a retiree, everyone needs to do SOMETHING regularly to get them up off their butt once retired. You can't just sit there and expect to remain healthy.

I ride a bit, but walk about an hour a day with hyper energetic dog (my coach). I get the longest rides when I haul my bike out to a road in the woods and run my dog until her heart bursts, which makes for a tired dog. A tired dog is a good dog. Oh, it takes about ten miles to get a tired dog with burst heart.

This tells us more that ride time for ebikers are longer per week compared to people who own/ride non-electric bikes.

Right now, my ebike is my sole form of regular, sustained-periods exercise. Comprised of a 30-minute morning office commute many days this summer (opting for lighter pedaling effort / no significant exertion, to prevent a sweaty arrival) and then generally a ~90 minute evening ride back home (in which I aim to work harder for much, if not all of that ride), plus weekend rides (generally planning to work up a sweat at some point(s) along those rides, but not always for the entire ride.)
As we approach winter here (D.C. area) I need to figure out an alternative, since I expect weather to curtail my biking opportunities. (Right now I'm very much a fair-weather -- meaning dry, and above freezing -- biker.) Thinking of trying out 9 Round gym for the winter (a franchised 9-station circuit concept with kick-boxing elements.)

In and back commute is 90 minutes/day on the ebike. Will wait to see if I can sustain through the wet and cold of winter. Not planning on riding when it gets below freezing. I also try to swim 4-5 times/week and regular walks with the dog. Infrequently visit the gym for weights, need to get back to a regular schedule for that.

I usually exercise 8 - 12 hours a week, mix of carbon fiber road bike, ebike, running, and CORE work.
Have been dealing with Stage 4 melanoma and kidney cancer since 2/17. The Ebike has allowed me to get out when I would not have otherwise, because of surgeries, and medications.

I will ride 5000 - 6000 this year.
Radrover has been great. Have over 3000 miles on it. Have had motor and controller issues, but RadCity has been very responsive and took care of the issues.

If the weather permits, I almost exclusively do ebike exercise only.
Otherwise, I would be using my stationary exercise bike with all the fancy metrics or my stationary row machine.

I´m averaging about 85 mi. a week on my CCS. It´s really my primary transport. I drove only once in July. It does rain a
great deal here, so I´ve spent quite a bit of time on my stationary as well at night (23,000 mi. in the last ten years) It´s
nothing fancy, just an old Schwinn with timer, odo, & adjustable resistance. Itś klnda my meditation platform. I do Tai Chi
with my upper body while pedaling. Sounds monotonous, but it´s actually quite rewarding.

Mostly work commuting about 1 hour per day for 4-5 days depending on weather for the last 2 years (5000-5400 feet, 24 mph max,15-17 mph average). Keeping this exercise schedule has lower my BP to normal range, lower resting HR, less snap/crackle/pop in my knees walking up stairs. I had no issue during a 4 hour family hike to Williams Lake (11,000 feet) near Taos Ski Valley (9,300 feet) last month.

Last edited:
Bicycling fulfills the requirements of Dr Cooper's Aerobics program. My heart lungs rest pulse and blood measurements are fine at age 68.
But past age 55 if you don't exercise your muscles one loses the ability to perform daily tasks. Like opening food packages or climbing stairs. I perform arm & trunk exercises prescribed by the surgeon after the two tendon tears I have suffered (both shoulders and arms). Takes about 15 minutes three to four times a week. Plus toe touches and slanted pushups and situps (I can't do the full army style ones anymore). I had a squirrel invasion in the overhead dead spot and tried to nail a metal sheet up yesterday; complete failure. I'm going to have to find some exercise that builds that group of muscles more. And I can't lift and assemble the scaffold pieces now to finish my re-roof job. It's been 9 months since my last bike wreck/shoulder injury, I'm going to have to pick up the pace of strengthening. My insurance company raised my rates this year because I still have a 20' x 40' patch of 1985 roofing to replace. I found and replaced the three shortcuts the 1985 roofers took to cause the leaks I had. Wonder what new and creative scams pro roofers are installing these days?

Bicycling fulfills the requirements of Dr Cooper's Aerobics program. My heart lungs rest pulse and blood measurements are fine at age 68.
But past age 55 if you don't exercise your muscles one loses the ability to perform daily tasks. Like opening food packages or climbing stairs. I perform arm & trunk exercises prescribed by the surgeon after the two tendon tears I have suffered (both shoulders and arms).

Good point! In his book, ´JUST RIDE´, Grant Pederson,(Rivendell bikes), does not place any importance on stretching. I strongly disagree!
Maintaining flexibility is key to preventlng what might be a minor injury from becoming a serious one. Just as when I used to ski, I ALWAYS
perform a stretching ritual before every ride. I also use isometrics to maintain upper body muscle mass.

Sooner or later, you will probably lay that bike down.

Last edited:
2 to 2.5 hours a day, 5 days a week on my Ebike (at least once a week doing a 4 hour or so ride) Weather permitting.
20 to 50 miles a week on my non-road, regular bike.
Sprinkled in here weekly is a few 45 minute, indoor smart turbo trainer rides.
1/2 hour to 40 minutes, 3 days a week lifting weights.

Running is my favorite pastime. Got hooked during the boom in the 1970's and have been at it ever since. No matter where I worked or what I did, I always found time to do my regular 10k and sometimes more. Now that I'm retired, I added biking to my routine with my RAD Rover and now I alternate between the two, riding one day, and running the next for about 12 hours a week dedicated solely to physical exercise.

Glad you asked Trail Cruiser. Just for fun you might want to look up how many finishers in the 2018 Boston Marathon were over the age of 80. Whether still riding competition like the Tour De France, or running a marathon, those are the truly GREAT sportsmen and still hanging in there at 4/5ths of a century old, and someday when I grow up, I'm want to be JUST LIKE THEM.

Back