How much of your overall exercise is by riding an ebike? What other exercise do you alternate?

How often do you ebike and what other exercise do you alternate?

• Total voters
I added one more choice/option, which is "more than 8 hours a week".
You can change your vote if you want to.

I realized that there needs to be a 6-8 hour bracket and then more than 8 hours bracket.

I usually e bike each day for a while during good weather some days for hours. I've been retired for a year and have recently picked up a part time maintenance job that provides a good amount of varied exercise. It just cuts down on the saddle time?

Age 63. Great question. I can see I'm the odd-ball here. I'm very lucky to have a great group of like-minded guys in my town that I play basketball with 3x per week. (Ages 40-82). Something about the peer-group and existence of a ball that is highly motivational, incredible cardio/run and so much fun. Dripping wet when done. And, I lift weights at the same gym about 6 days per week. I mention this all for a reason. I see few my age and older in the gym. The weights in particular make a huge, huge difference I highly recommend to all of you. Just 20+ minutes a day of machine or free is all you need. Just go from station to station non-stop. Your body will thank you in all aspects of your life. Btw, my father-in-law lifted weights the day he died, age 91. Not kidding. You can do this! Oh, and regarding the cardio/B-ball... yes, body-parts get hurt (knees, back, shoulders..), but that's part of the gig. "Hurts so good..." Just take time off when needed to recover. I'm in better shape now than 20-30 yrs ago. Ebiking is purely for enjoyment. My outdoor fun. 4-5x per week... weather permitting... (Ugh, early fall in northeast US??). I can't think of a better combination of exercises.

Last edited:
I started ebiking after completing cardiac rehab (monitored, directed exercise following a widowmaker heart attack). Ebiking is my routine, year round cardio and my transportation of choice. I stop off at the gym 3 or 4 days a week and do a round of the machines for some strength training. I ride for health and fitness so every day it doesn't rain I bike 2 or more hours (30+ miles). With hourly weather predictions available on my smart phone, I can usually carve out sufficient ride time, even in typically wet Northwest winters.

Where I live, weather is the main limiting factor for the amount of biking I do. Typically, I'll ride 1000 miles in a season. 2018 is my first year with an ebike and due to lousy weather, I'll be lucky to get in 600. I do put in a few hours per week on the stationary bike and treadmill though.

I run occasionally. Most of my exercise is commuting; about 29 miles RT a day. Saves me about $50-$60 a month.

Apart from the e-bikes: I try to ride my regular bikes a fair amount. A bit of weight training at home. And evening walks with the wife a few times a week. That's about it ....

I was riding my bike to work everyday (6 miles round trip) until Labor Day. And then I got laid off. Those 12 miles made a difference. I lost some belly fat and could eat the way I wanted to eat. Because of bike security concerns, I am not riding it everywhere now, but I'm still eating like I was before Labor Day. The stomach fat has returned.

Stopped going to a gym 2 or 3 years ago and noticed that I now rarely get colds. My new name for the gym is the germ. E-biking is fun. The germ? Not so much.

Good point! In his book, ´JUST RIDE´, Grant Pederson,(Rivendell bikes), does not place any importance on stretching. I strongly disagree!
Maintaining flexibility is key to preventlng what might be a minor injury from becoming a serious one. Just as when I used to ski, I ALWAYS
perform a stretching ritual before every ride. I also use isometrics to maintain upper body muscle mass.

Sooner or later, you will probably lay that bike down.
I have enjoyed Grant's books (and his bikes), but he does have strong opinions, not all of which I agree with.

Chris, Congratulations, that is an admirable accomplishment. I never thought losing weight could be so much fun.

Another way to conceptualize just how much weight you have lost is to imagine carrying two 25 lb, sacks of dog food on your bike right now.

Last edited:
I exercise without using my motor for about six hours a week on my comfort trike. I only use the motor to make sure it works. Other exercise is walking with my rollator about four hours a week. I alternate early morning with one form of exercise, early evening with the other. After mid-November, I walk with the rollator daily for about a half-hour and then do the recumbent indoor bike for a half hour in the evening while watching tv.

Back