How much can spokes push/stick on rim tape without being a safety concern?

cluny6

Region
USA
Hi, I bought a MTB 27.5x3.00 wheelset for my full suspension e-bike. It's about 80lbs with a bafang 510. Ther bike came with 26x4.00 but I wasn't too happy with the handling, especially cornering. Wheelset arrived and I'm not sure how to feel about it. The wheelset was $399, a great price. Add Tanus, tubes and tires and it totaled $750. The wheelset has some cosmetic damage, but my big thing is how much the spokes stick/push the tape through the tape. I really don't know if this is something I need to send back or is it just fine to use. The rim is 60-65mm and single wall and to be used on all kinds of twisty and nasty rocky terrain. I'm afraid that on a hit, the spokes can end up piercing through and giving me flats on every hard hit. The rim is pretty flat so the tube sits right on the tape and the protrusion seems of the spokes seems potentially problematic too me. Am I going to be fine just or are the wheels crap in its current state? Thank you.
tire1.jpg
r1.jpg
r2.jpg
r3.jpg
r4.jpg
r5.jpg

thanks.

Hell no. That is WAY too much protuberance to accept. The spokes are too long and @cluny6 's note of spokes poking in on a hard hit is on the money. Assuming a good wheel build that flexes, that nipple and spoke will poke in on a solid hit or a jump. It also looks like, in the pics, that the spokes are sometimes protruding out of the nipple base. Not a sharp edge, but that apparently-substantial rim tape won't last forever even if no jumps ever occur. And then you have a bare threaded spoke end in contact with your tube.

You could also have different seating depths on the spoke nipples based on the pics. Which should never happen unless there's a problem with the rim construction (as in: shoddy with poor tolerances for the spoke holes). If you were keeping the rims I'd cut the rim tape off and have a for reals look at their seating.

BUT... as they sit I would not mess with them at all. That loss of material on the outside... thats the outer coating not being there? Right at the pinned seam, and crossing it? Unprotected metal? If so thats an instant fail. You can expect that area to corrode. Also that closeup of the seam doesn't inspire me with confidence, either. Looks like a cheap rim.

Hell no. That is WAY too much protuberance to accept. The spokes are too long and @cluny6 's note of spokes poking in on a hard hit is on the money. Assuming a good wheel build that flexes, that nipple and spoke will poke in on a solid hit or a jump. It also looks like, in the pics, that the spokes are sometimes protruding out of the nipple base. Not a sharp edge, but that apparently-substantial rim tape won't last forever even if no jumps ever occur. And then you have a bare threaded spoke end in contact with your tube.

You could also have different seating depths on the spoke nipples based on the pics. Which should never happen unless there's a problem with the rim construction (as in: shoddy with poor tolerances for the spoke holes). If you were keeping the rims I'd cut the rim tape off and have a for reals look at their seating.

BUT... as they sit I would not mess with them at all. That loss of material on the outside... thats the outer coating not being there? Right at the pinned seam, and crossing it? Unprotected metal? If so thats an instant fail. You can expect that area to corrode. Also that closeup of the seam doesn't inspire me with confidence, either. Looks like a cheap rim.
Thanks man, that's exactly what I was thinking. This was sold to me as an extra wheelset so I could have a fat and midfat. $500 plus $150 shipping from Canada. The rims are cheap bulk Chinese being currently sold as a MTB set in 150 and 197. I just wanted to make sure of what I suspected before approaching the seller. These days, bikes keep getting more expensive and parts crappier. Thank you for taking the time and the clear and informative response, thanks!

If you cannot get a return. I'd get some adhesive rim tape, probably the thivker velox brand, and wrap it over the ends. Then your PVC tape goes over that,. With 20 psi, should be OK. Just surprised you get single wall.

I have an update. I wrote Biktrix, who sold me the set with my concerns and forwarded some photos. They explained the paint flaking off is a defect but the spokes sticking out is not and the wheels are safe. She then gave me the option of returning them for a full refund. To return the wheels, I have to pay $150 in shipping, so they gave me a different option. Option two is to keep the wheels and they will issue a $300 gift card. I went with option 2. Since I am still a bit concerned about this, I'm following @harryS on pressure and tape. The wheels are not great, but Biktrix CS has been. Thank you, members, for your time.

From what we can see the hubs are going to be crap too. Run away. You don't want to be riding down a trail when the front wheel tacos.

From what we can see the hubs are going to be crap too. Run away. You don't want to be riding down a trail when the front wheel tacos.
the hubs are on ali for $60 a pair. These are not going anywhere near dirt!

I have an update. I wrote Biktrix, who sold me the set with my concerns and forwarded some photos. They explained the paint flaking off is a defect but the spokes sticking out is not and the wheels are safe. She then gave me the option of returning them for a full refund. To return the wheels, I have to pay $150 in shipping, so they gave me a different option. Option two is to keep the wheels and they will issue a $300 gift card. I went with option 2. Since I am still a bit concerned about this, I'm following @harryS on pressure and tape. The wheels are not great, but Biktrix CS has been. Thank you, members, for your time.
Why do you have to pay $150 to return an item that they sent out knowingly defective?
That's total bullshit, typical of Diktrix and I'd open a dispute with my credit card for a full refund.

And there you are again @tomjasz.... more Deafcat/Roshan total bullshit!

Why do you have to pay $150 to return an item that they sent out knowingly defective?
That's total bullshit, typical of Diktrix and I'd open a dispute with my credit card for a full refund.

And there you are again @tomjasz.... more Deafcat/Roshan total bullshit!
I complained and we reached a solution, we went back and forth a bit but its fine now.

It is going to fly apart. I don't want to go to an ER. In LA right now there are eight hour waits even if you have a heart attack.
1671743029958.jpeg

Yeah agree with everyone above. You got royally screwed. Ignore the dislike for the spokes and just point to the severe defect on the rim's MIA protective coating. Defective merchandise on that alone and requires a replacement at the least. Shipping is on the seller at that point.

Back