How to Replace a Broken Spoke

Typically the LBS has to order a blank black spoke, then cut and thread it to size.

I called my LBS where I bought both of my bikes and even though they sell a lot of Aventon e-bikes, they said they would have to order the spoke. Has anyone been able to find a place that carries black 13 gauge spokes? The previous posts were for 12 and 11 gauge, but I want to replace mine with the same size spoke.

TxAventon, that nipple will rattle around until you remove the tube valve and let the nipple fall out of the valve hole.

TxAventon, that nipple will rattle around until you remove the tube valve and let the nipple fall out of the valve hole.

Thanks, I might give that a try this weekend. I bought mine from the inventory of a LBS in December 2019 and both wheels seem to have the same gauge spoke. (ie. The back does not look noticeably thicker than the front)

Make sure you thread your replacement spoke properly.

The first time I broke a spoke, the guy who replaced it threaded it from the outside which was the same as the one next to it. 2 more broke after that and I noticed the pattern so I did it myself the correct way as the other 2 were right next to the incorrect one. Once I fixed it, I have not had a broken spoke (knock on wood) since.

Update April 2021. I have not had any more spoke breakages since the original post.

I can confirm that new Pace 500s come with thicker 12 gauge spokes in the rear. I also believe Aventon finally changed spoke suppliers and the new spokes are much less prone to breaking.

I noticed that on my wife's new Level all of the rear spokes are laced from the inside of the hub instead of alternating inside and out. That seems wrong.

I noticed that on my wife's new Level all of the rear spokes are laced from the inside of the hub instead of alternating inside and out. That seems wrong.
That is strange and I have never seen it done that way. I'd send Aventon an email and see if it is intentional.

That is strange and I have never seen it done that way. I'd send Aventon an email and see if it is intentional.
I got a reply back from Aventon and they said that it is intentional. They said that lacing the 12 gauge spokes alternately would put too much pressure on the spoke heads.

Cool, thanks for the update AdamT. Maybe that's why there seems to have been a great reduction in broken rear spokes in the Pace 500 and Level.

2024 Pace 500.3 update:

I just ordered two six packs of spokes (one for each side - drive and non drive) for the rear wheel on my Pace 500.3.

I also confirmed with Aventon, that the following specs are correct:
12 guage spokes, 207mm drive side, 208mm non-drive

Back