How long are parts available for ebikes?

mikeschn

Region
USA
City
SE Michigan
Just curious if anyone know how long one can get replacement parts for an ebike from one of the big guys, like Specialized? I know in the auto industry they are required to make parts available for 7 years. I don't imagine there are any requirements in the ebike business. Have they suggested parts will be available for a certain numbers of years? I'm focused mostly on the "e" stuff, like motors, electronics and batteries. Your thoughts!

Mike...

Just curious if anyone know how long one can get replacement parts for an ebike from one of the big guys, like Specialized? I know in the auto industry they are required to make parts available for 7 years. I don't imagine there are any requirements in the ebike business. Have they suggested parts will be available for a certain numbers of years? I'm focused mostly on the "e" stuff, like motors, electronics and batteries. Your thoughts!

Mike...
On the bold, I believe that's a myth. In any case, that's one of the better arguments for buying only bikes made only from non proprietary parts. Something like that, with all parts available on the open market, can be serviced for a very long time very reasonably. A bike that must be returned to a dealer for service, or one requiring parts sold only by a manf. authorized dealer, can very often be expensive or impossible to fix once it's out of warranty. Look into batteries for instance...

Mike...
Many of the big makers still keep parts for their older bikes. I'm sure if you went with someone like Lectric or Rad you would be fine. Hub motors can easily be replaced but mid drives I'm not sure maybe proprietary? Most e-bikes now use batteries with 18650 cells so even if it's a proprietary casing there's nothing stopping someone from replacing the cells. My guess would be ten years then you'll likely start running into problems because by then I would expect much of the technology to have changed. By then it'll also be a collectable and not really useful for practical purposes so you'll be replacing it anyway.

There is also a history of manufactures going out of business, leaving everyone high and dry. As for Specialized you are good for about five years. Over time parts will take longer to get and will cost more. That is part of the plan. Selling you another bike. At year five they may offer you a loyalty club deal with a free helmet and jersey if you buy a new $10,000 plus bike.

Well heck if I'd known that I would have spent the extra $9,200 on a Specialized E-bike instead of wasting money on the Lectric XP Lite 🤣
This is one of my electric bikes. It cost me $400 before conversion. It is skinny where it counts and curvy as hell. But regrettably no planned obsolescence or loyalty program.

Attachments

• 1652750595517.jpeg
    1652750595517.jpeg
    452.1 KB · Views: 158
  • CremeGlider05.JPG
    CremeGlider05.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 148
  • CremeGlider07.JPG
    CremeGlider07.JPG
    616.4 KB · Views: 156
This is one of my electric bikes. It cost me $400 before conversion. It is skinny where it counts and curvy as hell. But regrettably no planned obsolescence or loyalty program.
Not too bad. Some type of mid drive with the battery in the water bottle? It looks perfect for a city ride

I'm riding model year 2016 Bosch powered Haibikes, both made in late 2015. I haven't needed any Bosch parts, so maybe it takes a decade before you really need parts. I'll be replacing bicycle parts soon because I have over 7,000 miles on one. Lots of bashers for this class of eBikes and that horrible big brother Bosch, but it's exactly the kind of ride I want. I'm not sure many of the bashers have ever ridden these bikes. For a long time mid drives got the same type of bashing, again from people that had never ridden them. Now that's much more accepted.

Not too bad. Some type of mid drive with the battery in the water bottle? It looks perfect for a city ride
Bosch is super nice. No bashing here. They are lovely and worth every penny! And Bosch is in for the long haul. Very reputable. I have ridden them, supported them, and sold them with confidence. With the red bike she (the owner) has hand issues and lives in hilly Sausalito, CA. So, I made her a coaster brake bike, so she does not need to use brake levers to slow down or stop. Her Mill Valley boyfriend is an avid carbon road biker, she can keep up as they ride together across the GG.
1652755676123.jpeg

My 2018 giant got a new motor in 2020 - upgraded from the yamaha pwx 1 to the pwx 2 under warranty. It wasn't a simple motor swap - they also replaced the evo screen because whilst the old one looks identical, it wasn't compatible. I think the wiring harness was also repkaced. Both motors are called " syncdrive pro" by giant , and I believe the 3 rd generation is out now? I can't imagine how hard it would be to negotiate replacement electrics now it's out of warranty - would it be a full system replacement ? Who is going to know what parts are compatible ? It's only 4 years old !

It looks like Specialized has a 2 year warranty, or 300 charge cycles on the battery, whatever comes first. After that, you're on your own... parts? who knows.

So what does that really mean? Do I replace my bikes every two years, before the warranty expires?

Or do I keep it for the long term? and if it dies, and I can't find parts for it, I put it out on the curb for the metal collectors?

Either way could get expensive! Any other ideas?

Sadly their are mid drives out there with lousy parts streams and know to discontinue or change a part with no immediate replacements.

It’s not just one…

If I were a young fella knowing Bafang like I do I’d buy 3-4 BBSHD and a parts stash. Decades of use especially if “turned down”. Being able to use external controllers offers even more flexibility.

But as a flat lander and brittle bones senior, nah!

So I see multiple strategies...
1) build a diy bike, and keep a stash of spare parts
2) sell your bike before the warranty expires
3) keep it and hope it doesn't break, if it does put it out with the trash, and buy a new one.
4) buy a new ebike every year... if your stable is large enough you'll always have something that works!
🤣

So I see multiple strategies...
1) build a diy bike, and keep a stash of spare parts
2) sell your bike before the warranty expires
3) keep it and hope it doesn't break, if it does put it out with the trash, and buy a new one.
4) buy a new ebike every year... if your stable is large enough you'll always have something that works!
🤣
Or buy a kit that has a parts stream.

okay, how do I identify which good kits have a good parts stream?
Start with the battery, then the motor. If you can find them, or a reasonable replacement online, you have a bike built with non proprietary parts. You don't need to build it yourself, though some do. Many production bikes are built this way.

What is nice about this bikepacking bike is that it will be usable for the next 20-years. There is a connector that allows for various sizes and shapes of batteries. Parts are available on multiple websites domestically and internationally. A bare new motor sub-assembly costs $65. A new controller $65. Other parts are similarly priced. The entire electrical system can be removed and the original drivetrain reinstalled. Or in ten-years when the technology advances a new system can be installed. And the firmware is open source like Linux or Wiki and not like Apple. This guy opted for two batteries, a large and a small. The imbedded carbon footprint in the bike will be sequestered and used for decades. Then it can be melted down and reused. He has a huge smile after taking his first ride in the hills.
1652817287988.jpeg

What is nice about this bikepacking bike is that it will be usable for the next 20-years. There is a connector that allows for various sizes and shapes of batteries. Parts are available on multiple websites domestically and internationally. A bare new motor sub-assembly costs $65. A new controller $65. Other parts are similarly priced. The entire electrical system can be removed and the original drivetrain reinstalled. Or in ten-years when the technology advances a new system can be installed. And the firmware is open source like Linux or Wiki and not like Apple. This guy opted for two batteries, a large and a small. The imbedded carbon footprint in the bike will be sequestered and used for decades. Then it can be melted down and reused. He has a huge smile after taking his first ride in the hills.

Exactly.....

Back