How I bypassed the speed restriction on my NCM 500W/48V Moscow Plus 29er.

The first thing that came to my mind after my first ride on my 48V/500W NCM Moscow Plus was "How can I make this bike faster?"
Throttle was maxed at 20mph(32km/hr) and the Petal Assist top speed was limited to 23mph.(37km/h)
I knew the motor was capable of much more to stay within the specs of Class 3.
So I made it my mission to try to find a hack or aftermarket hardware that would run my bike at the sweet spot of 28mph/45 kmh (Top end of Class 3)
I took to the internet to figure out my problem. After hours of digging through the interwebs I came across this thread in a german pedelec forum.

Code:
https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/kommunikation-zwischen-c7-display-und-motorkontroller-ncm-venice-das-kit.57050/page-1

A member by the name of vspadrva made some interesting advances. He managed to use an oscilloscope and logic analyzer to reverse engineer the Das-Kit C7 Display and create code using a microcontroller (ESP2866) to intercept the data being sent through the bikes data cables.

Here's a translated quote of his OP on that thread.

The thread goes on and other smart programmers find a way to change the data values NCM set it place with their custom firmware. Eventually they created an open sourced project on github (which has some cool features)
After reading all of this and checking out the code on github. I had a good understanding what needs to be done to go that route and hack the display.
It wasn't something that I was interested at all to attempt to achieve. Also those german riders had 250W motor kits installed and were only trying to go as fast as my bike already could stock. (Due to speed restrictions in Europe)

So now what?

Something from vspadrva's post stuck with me.

This got me looking at Magnumbikes website.
Low and behold they run the same Das-Kit C7/i5 controller system (data protocol) as my NCM bike but can reach 28MPH!

This brought me to youtube looking up display tuning videos for Das-Kit C7 displays. MagnumBikes has a video posted there.

I watched it and saw the tuning screens (Pedal Assist/Throttle) that my NCM doesn't have in its settings menu. After watching, I starting thinking that maybe the speed restriction data is stored in the Das-Kit i5 Controller firmware. I would be SOL unless I changed the Controller and the Display. But then I saw this image attached on that same german pedelec thread.

View attachment 48098

Once I saw those chips, I knew there was firmware in the displays restricting the speed tuning options. I ordered a Magnumbikes C7 - 5 wire display.

View attachment 48108
View attachment 48099

Got it today, removed my stock NCM display and installed Magnums. Guess what? I can now go 25mph on assist and 23mph on throttle. :cool:

Here's a YT video of the new Display and the tuning options it gives my NCM Moscow Plus.

Hope this helps some of you out there wanting to go faster or tune the bike to go slower.
So with the old C7 what speeds did you do?

To all ncm moscow owners.
It's seems to me you all want to go faster,as do I.
Ebay Germany as got everything you need to achieve that extra push.

Leon’s (Seattle) has available a C7 display that will allow you to change the max pedal assist setting to 28 mph. I got mine two days ago. Easy to install. Using my phone GPS, the max mph I was able to get using PA 6 and the highest gear ratio was 26 on flat ground. A strong cyclist maybe could get 28. The other thing that I immediately noticed was the difference in PA mph in each of the PA settings. For example, using the old C7, PA1 would get you to 10.5 mph. With the new C7 , PA1 gets you to about 13.5 mph. With the old C7, I struggled get 20 mph in PA 6. Now, with the new C7, I can cruise comfortably at 20 mph in PA 4. Note the max throttle mph remains at 20. Now the not so good news: the new C7 was $99. I think it’s reasonable when you consider the increase in performance. Another thing I would like to mention is the GREAT customer service I have received from Leon’s. When I assembled my new bike there were some issues. I took the bike to a local bike shop for a complete tune up- cost was $75. I emailed Bree at Leon’s customer service with the issues and a copy of the bike shop bill. She informed me the same day that she was authorizing a refund of $75 I also talked to Ryan when I ordered the new C7. Since he has already installed the new C7 on his own bike, he was able to answer my questions.

I'm assuming that any of these changes are specific for the Moscow Plus and not the regular Moscow? Any insight on how to increase the speed on the non-Plus version? Other versions of the Das L7 display on similar bikes have a max speed of 28mph. Much appreciated!

I'm assuming that any of these changes are specific for the Moscow Plus and not the regular Moscow? Any insight on how to increase the speed on the non-Plus version? Other versions of the Das L7 display on similar bikes have a max speed of 28mph. Much appreciated!
I would like feedback on this too as I have Moscow too.

The easiest way to answer your question is to recommend you call Leon Cycle at
1-833-949-1477. I talked to Ryan but I would guess that anyone in customer service could help.

Check out the Ncm throttle thread, a few of us have used the Das kit from Australia, i have the normal Moscow and it works fine, you are just left with a spare connection which i just taped up. Here in UK the Max speed seems to be 22mph but it is still far better than the 15mph previously.

I am able to get 22mph on my regular Moscow (I'm in the US) with the stock display with pedal assist. I was hoping to get up to 28mph but it may not be possible.

I am able to get 22mph on my regular Moscow (I'm in the US) with the stock display with pedal assist. I was hoping to get up to 28mph but it may not be possible.
Stock display in UK is limited to 15mph, that's why a lot of us buy the kit from Australia. You can change setting to 28mph but you only seem to able to get to 22mph. The kit from Aus also has a throttle which again we dont have in UK.

Weird that the limit can be changed to 28mph but it actually only tops out at 22mph. I can get into the settings menu on the L7 display but the speed menu is not present, unlike the video below. But I'm guessing it's locked by the manufacturer.

I own the Moscow Plus, got it from Leon’s also via Amazon.
Has anyone tried the Eggrider V2 display, which apparently you can modify the motor settings. https://eggrider.com/
I bought a speed chip on eBay Germany. I have one setting which allows the bike to reach 22mph, which I think is the top speed.
But in normal 1 to 6 the bike is faster and more responsive.
With the plus model this chip overs more settings.

I bought a Moscow plus and it arrived Friday. Throttle speed got me up to 40km, never touched the display or messed with the internal settings. Good enough for me!

Back