How heavy is your eBike, and do you care?

JRA

So much chatter about light eBikes that I personally feel is an oxymoron at least according to my needs. Sure as light a bike as possible has many attributes in the push bike marketplace that has ruled for years but eBikes, while in the same family, are the country cousins who shouldn't be afraid to dose on some biscuits and gravy. Cheap, light and strong as KB once sagely said.

The reason I ride an eBike is that I find it to be a great way to get there and back while getting exercise and not having anxiety if I will make it where I want and back again due to a too small battery and at a speed that is greater than I can normally being an active cyclist type for years.

So to that end I don't mind some pork aboard to get to my goals. I still try and not go overboard as I appreciate a bike that handles as it should and too much weight, especially if not distributed evenly, combined with the wrong components can get ugly.

I have stuff like CK hubs and headset, Ti seatpost, Carbon Fiber front sus fork and Carbon Fiber rims on my steel hardtail eMTB and that is just a carry over from before I put the motor kit on it. It weighs differently as all my bikes do depending on what Ah battery I have on board. Battery not included it weighs 35lbs,. With the 12ah 2170 aboard it weighs 43lbs. It can be a bit of a struggle to get over a log, fence or gate when necessary but doable and done many times. Certainly easier than a moto!

My one road bike is a steel Bikes Direct drop bar/45c tire type and used primarily on secondary pavé and dirt roads with some interesting forays on to sand and single track which is aided by the larger tires run at low 30 psi. It has a 9c front hub motor and no specific lightweight components which is fairly heavy and weighs 42lbs. sans battery. I use a 15ah battery on it mainly which brings it up to 51.98 lbs. loaded for the road.

My El Cheapo CL drop bar aluminum Specialized with the Grin Any Axle front hub motor, a much lighter DD motor than the 9c but the same watt rating, wide rims and 45c tires used to weigh 43.3lbs. with the battery but it is being canablized currently to shift the necessary components onto another platform, steel again, so it will probably weigh more especially as I anticipate using my new 18ah 2170 battery on it.

Both drop bar bikes are capable of 1000w output 48v/20A-52v/20A, but rarely run at that. eMTB is 864w peak but once again that sees little use except for when necessary. I have the option to raise the A rating to 25A but never have seen the need. Plus it is ok legally to have a 1000w bike where I live. As an aside I have around $2k in each of my bikes so DIY is definitely a low cost alternative for those that have some knowhow.

For fun and fitness it is hard to beat an eBike. But adding a motor and battery to a bicycle is never going to be lightweight so why fight it? Want better wh/mi? Use less assist and pedal harder. Don't care as much about that aspect and want range/speed then you will need a heavier bike but the added weight should more than make up for itself.

I'm not real big on light weight bikes here either, made even more obvious by my own weight (315 or so). I've been that weight most of my adult life, with no big plans of weight reduction there either!

The way I have it, I have way more power on tap than I need 95%+ of the time I ride, so there's no big point of spending a lot of money to do the same thing with less weight.

Bike is a mucho modified '18 Rad City home brew, just over 60 lbs. ready to go, with MAC 12T gear driven rear hub for power and KT systems LCD3 display w/35a controller. It's way faster than I need, with plenty of grunt for any situation I've run across, and it will go further on a charge than my butt will last by a factor of at least 2. Bike could easily be duplicated for just over 2k by many DIY'ers. In a couple of years, if this bike is outdated for any reason, I could throw it away and build another one, and STILL have less money invested than some with their pricey high end "lightweight" bikes.

No right or wrong here the way I see it. Different logic maybe, and different priorities for sure, but that's me, and my ways! -Al

Reactions: JRA
Awesome pic with the emtb. !

I also totally agree. It looks like the ebike market separates into either one with a small battery, therefore limited range and a totally useless expense or a proper ebike with min. 500watts motor and min. 650wh bat.

Until technology improves, long range and speeds above 16mph adds a few lb to an ebike’s weight , lbs , which are irrelevant for a proper ebike since the motor does most of the work anyway.

Q- For the hard case lockable box , what brand/ size is that one and do you know of larger ones that can be fitted on a rear rack/seatpost ?
I’ve seen the moto versions but not sure how to fit one of those, and the one i know from Racktime is small (i think it’s 12l).
Would be nice to have everything locked very securely in a big box w/o having to carry the backpack/ pannier every single time when in/out of places of interest.

Meh. As long as the frame can safely bear the weight and I have 1000Wh.

Makes sense to me. If you weigh 200 pounds or more it's kind of pointless to save weight on the bike. Most light bikes can't carry super heavy loads and they certainly aren't meant to be loaded down with every single gadget, but to each his own. I'm just happy that some companies are making ebikes now that cater to people who still want to get some exercise. I'm sure people with huge motors and 1000Wh batteries on their bikes will say they're getting exercise, I'm just not sure how someone can be getting a lot of exercise and maintain so much body mass - one would think that all that "exercise" would get rid of some of that weight.

I am 135lb rider and lightweight in an eMTB matters to me. I have test road both heavyweight and lightweight and I feel quite a bit more agility on a lightweight. I feel the handling is better in tight situations (switchbacks) and the overall performance is better for me. My ultimate goal was/is to have a custom built @ approx 38lbs in a full suspension. The bike would have to be full CF to attain that. In a commuter, it is a different story for me. I like the momentum on a nice cruise and the feeling of better stability on smooth ground overall. My current eMTB is approx 48lbs with the battery, however, I am very happy with the handling/performance at the present time.

When I bought my e-bike I didn't care too much about weight. I didn't notice much difference in my speed unpowered between the different e-bikes I tried, including the 57 pound gazelle Arroyo that I bought, nor any real difference between them and the ~20 pound Specialized Allez Sport road bike I had before. Also, I figured that since I weigh ~180 pounds, a 60 pound bike brings the total I am pushing to 240 pounds, while a 20 pound bike totals 200 pounds, only a 20% difference.

However, I do notice the bike weight when I have to lift it. When I commute to work by bike, I usually still make part of the commute by bus and part by light rail train. Lifting the bike onto the bus bike rack is a pain due to not only the weight but how it is distributed, with the weight concentrated on the rear due to a rear rack battery and a rear hub gear. Also, the bike racks have a weight limit of 55 pounds per bike, so I have to remove the battery if I want to be under the limit. Meanwhile, lifting the bike onto a hook on the light rail trains or work is also somewhat difficult. It would be nice to have a lighter bike for all of these.

Finally, the weight is more noticable going uphill than I thought it would be. I rode the Banks Vernonia trail with my daughter a few weeks ago, which hsa a gradual uphill for a good portion of the trail. I found that I often had to ride in Eco mode to keep up with her conventional bike going uphill. When we switched bikes I was amazed how easy hers was to ride compared to mine without power. Her's wasn't even a road bike, it was a Schwinn Voyageur with a stem rider giving a very upright riding position, even more so than my Gazelle. Thus, the weight did make a difference riding. (Of course, I was also carrying all of our water, about 10 pounds worth.) Even so, the extra weight wasn't a killer. Riding without power on the level or downhill stretches, and in Eco mode in much (but not all) the uphill zones, I used less than 20% of the battery on a 40 mile ride.

okey so my little mosso by luna equipped with bbs02, weighs about 60 lbs,
with me on top and my back pack,
i would say 250 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_3809.jpg
    IMG_3809.jpg
    971.9 KB · Views: 613
My e-bike weighs around 62 pounds. The only problem I have with the weight is getting it on and off the car rack.

I weigh about 170 and can almost handle my commute of 35+ miles on my Spot Champa - steel framed bike. With an IGH, dynamo, lighting, rack, fenders I'm guessing its up at 35+ pounds. I did a 1/2 commute last Friday of about 22 miles home from work with a hefty tailwind. I averaged a very good time that approached some of my commute times with my Class 1 bikes (thanks to the tailwind). I like the feel of the lightweight bike with a smooth drivetrain. If I could replicate that with a light electric assist it would be ideal - with an assist level that just allows me to reduce the commute time by giving me a bit quicker and easier acceleration from a stop (commute is mostly start/stop city riding). This would reduce the commute time to something reasonable and it would lessen some strain on my knees (my right knee tends to get pretty sore after a long ride where I work hard - on any of my bikes). So for a pedal-assist commuter where I want to do most of the work, weight would be an important factor. There would still be use for commuting on my traditional (heavy) e-bikes - very windy days and days where I prioritize time over exercise.

I care when:

- the kickstand breaks, ugh, bad experience

-negotiating workarounds due to trail damage or road detours that are designed around lighter non-electric bikes. Pic shows one recent example and does not do justice to the very loose gravel.

-I’m supposed to lift my bike. Pedestrian bridges = no-go, don’t want to risk front racks on buses.

Attachments

• 2C4116A6-A65E-41C1-A85B-112C6AADE651.jpeg
    2C4116A6-A65E-41C1-A85B-112C6AADE651.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 490
Interesting answers. I think there's no right or wrong, just how one looks at it, I guess? As I've gotten older I have been amazed at how obese the US population has become. That's not a guess, every single statistic shows the average American weighing more and more. There's talk about "fat-shaming" but the fact of the matter is that obese people put a huge strain on the health system with epidemics of type 2 diabetes, hip-knee replacements (human frames weren't meant to support huge weights) - they cost as as much as smokers or even more, since their diseases tend to be long term. Forget all the nonsense about genetics, etc. - genetics haven't changed much in 50 years but what has changed is the amount of food people are eating. For those of us who are older try to remember what the average restaurant portions were years ago compared to today. In terms of ebikes it's simple, cycling is a great sport and is a wonderful way of keeping in shape. As one gets older a light ebike with a bit of assist can allow you to keep biking, mainly under your own power, but with a bit of help so that you can keep biking. That's why this category seems to be very popular with fitter people. If you aren't biking to stay fit but as a means of transportation to get from A to B or if you don't want to work up a sweat then the "traditional" heavy ebike makes a lot of sense. Of course at some point if that's what you want why not just use a motorcycle (electric or not) that's much faster and has much longer range (at least for the gas ones)? What's a shame is that while this forum caters to those who want "traditional" ebikes it has pretty much ignored reviewing light ebikes. Maybe that will change if they become more popular. It's also possible that a company like Juiced or Rad that don't mind paying for publicity will realize that there's a market opportunity there and make their own version of a light road ebike.

My Juiced CCS weighs 63 lbs. and I would prefer a significantly lighter bike. Of course I'd love a 25 lb. ebike, but that is really expensive and not all that powerful. I find myself using Eco and Level 1 about 99% of the time so the Juiced has more power than I care for so I'd happily take less power for less weight. If I could get an ebike that weighed 40 lbs. or less at a reasonable price then that's what I'd like to get in the next year or two.

If I have to lift the bike it's a pain being so heavy, and I would just prefer a bike that rides, feels and handles more like my road bike.

My Aventon Pace 500 step over small frame weighs about 47 lbs. The choice of three frame sizes and lower weight strongly influenced my purchase decision. This lower weight will be much appreciated over the life of the ebike. It feels ‘nimble’ on the road compared to some of the other ebikes I’ve owned which weighed considerably more. Lifting onto the car rack is much easier. Same for the repair stand when I need to work on the 500.

Only care when lifting up my bike after falling and on to something to carry it. I have had to turn around at fallen trees because it was too heavey but my back is bad , a lightweight bike is too heavy anyway. I would like a lightweight bike to save battery useage and be a little more nimble but when riding I dont think about it, motor helps :)

Interesting answers. I think there's no right or wrong, just how one looks at it, I guess? As I've gotten older I have been amazed at how obese the US population has become. That's not a guess, every single statistic shows the average American weighing more and more. There's talk about "fat-shaming" but the fact of the matter is that obese people put a huge strain on the health system with epidemics of type 2 diabetes, hip-knee replacements (human frames weren't meant to support huge weights) - they cost as as much as smokers or even more, since their diseases tend to be long term. Forget all the nonsense about genetics, etc. - genetics haven't changed much in 50 years but what has changed is the amount of food people are eating. For those of us who are older try to remember what the average restaurant portions were years ago compared to today. If you aren't biking to stay fit but as a means of transportation to get from A to B or if you don't want to work up a sweat then the "traditional" heavy ebike makes a lot of sense. Of course at some point if that's what you want why not just use a motorcycle (electric or not) that's much faster and has much longer range (at least for the gas ones)? What's a shame is that while this forum caters to those who want "traditional" ebikes it has pretty much ignored reviewing light ebikes. Maybe that will change if they become more popular. It's also possible that a company like Juiced or Rad that don't mind paying for publicity will realize that there's a market opportunity there and make their own version of a light road ebike.

Though you start by saying there's no right or wrong, with some of your comments regarding obesity/rider weights and average weighing e-bikes, clearly you don't really believe that. Suggesting that a bike rider on a "non lightweight" bike should get a motorcycle might even be viewed by some as condescending.

AHicks, I know, and I do feel bad for people with weight problems, but since I have no problems telling someone not to smoke in a restaurant (no one talks about smoke shaming) I have to be honest that it does bother me that other people's weight issues cost me money. The average car sold in America has over $500 in costs for stronger and longer seat belts, stronger seats, stronger bolts to hold in the seat and so forth. And don't get me started about taking a flight and having people who don't fit in their seat and take up half the space you paid for. Is it condescending? I don't know...but it's also the truth.

Interesting answers. I think there's no right or wrong, just how one looks at it, I guess? As I've gotten older I have been amazed at how obese the US population has become. That's not a guess, every single statistic shows the average American weighing more and more. There's talk about "fat-shaming" but the fact of the matter is that obese people put a huge strain on the health system with epidemics of type 2 diabetes, hip-knee replacements (human frames weren't meant to support huge weights) - they cost as as much as smokers or even more, since their diseases tend to be long term. Forget all the nonsense about genetics, etc. - genetics haven't changed much in 50 years but what has changed is the amount of food people are eating. For those of us who are older try to remember what the average restaurant portions were years ago compared to today. In terms of ebikes it's simple, cycling is a great sport and is a wonderful way of keeping in shape. As one gets older a light ebike with a bit of assist can allow you to keep biking, mainly under your own power, but with a bit of help so that you can keep biking. That's why this category seems to be very popular with fitter people. If you aren't biking to stay fit but as a means of transportation to get from A to B or if you don't want to work up a sweat then the "traditional" heavy ebike makes a lot of sense. Of course at some point if that's what you want why not just use a motorcycle (electric or not) that's much faster and has much longer range (at least for the gas ones)? What's a shame is that while this forum caters to those who want "traditional" ebikes it has pretty much ignored reviewing light ebikes. Maybe that will change if they become more popular. It's also possible that a company like Juiced or Rad that don't mind paying for publicity will realize that there's a market opportunity there and make their own version of a light road ebike.

And who would you be to say what's right or wrong, we're all capable of deciding what's right for us.

It’s mostly the fault of a lot of this food companies and the political system for failing to address this obese epidemic steaming from poisoning the food supply in restaurants, supermarkets, etc.

There should be major lawsuits against them and the owners should be brought to justice.

The same thing thats has happened with the opioid crisis (the Big company that has to pay 12 billon $ now) or with the cigarette lawsuits should happen with some of the food companies who are putting a lot of addictive ingredients and poisoned substances in foods.
Sugar, glucose, fructose, corn syrup, red #9, aspartame, yellow #3 , imitation cheese( from paper or cardboard ) , GMO foods and many others.

Back