How heavy is your eBike, and do you care?

If you come back from a 40 or 50 mile ride and you’re tired, pushing that 45 pound bike up there is a hell of a lot easier than pushing the 70 pound bike up even if you are using a ramp

What if it were set up where you just pushed a button?

Load it on a ramp and have the ramp winched up into the pick up box?

Bigger point is that if you are doing this often enough where it's an issue, there's an easy way to do it somewhere....

No concern here about coming back from a ride that long anyway. I'd have to figure out a way to get this butt up into the truck!

Feliz just because Americans are in self-denial about how obese they've become doesn't mean that it's not my business when my health care costs are going through the roof because of their inability to control their food intake. Take a look at these figures: https://www.healthline.com/health/mens-health/average-weight-for-men. We're not growing much more now, just getting fatter and even though there have been a lot of advancements in health care and a huge drop in smoking rates our average life spans are dropping. In a perfect world it is non of my concern how much anyone weighs or how much they smoke or drink, but in a world where I live in a country with the highest health costs it is very much my business because it increases my health costs even more. It increases my costs in lots of other ways. We expect to pay more to ship heavier packages because it's directly related to the cost of transport, but I get to pay the same at 6'2" - 170 pounds as someone who weighs 300 pounds when I fly and spills over into the space I've paid for. A perfectly logical solution would be to charge for airplane tickets by the pound - which would lower costs for everyone and be fair, but imagine the ruckus that would cost. AHicks sure, part of it is advertising, but basically people in the US need to take some responsibility for their actions. Genetically we aren't much different from a few years ago, it's just how comfortable we've become with blaming others for our actions and saying we can't control our weight.

My Aurora weighs about 57 lbs. w/o the battery. That makes it very difficult to raise it up and get it into position on the rack while the front wheel is trying to turn any way but straight. The Mongoose, on the other hand, weighs around 35 lbs. w/o battery and is much easier to deal with.

When it comes time to replace the Aurora I’ll be looking for a much lighter bike. ;)

My Aurora weighs about 57 lbs. w/o the battery. That makes it very difficult to raise it up and get it into position on the rack while the front wheel is trying to turn any way but straight. The Mongoose, on the other hand, weighs around 35 lbs. w/o battery and is much easier to deal with.

When it comes time to replace the Aurora I’ll be looking for a much lighter bike. ;)
Are you able to load the front wheel first, or are you already doing that?

I agree... a lighter bike is easier to lift, balance and ride in most situations.

Two examples...

1. 40 lbs - Bianchi Manhattan with mods... Suspension seat post, lights, and 2" Big Ben tires.
  2. 45 lbs - Raleigh Misceo Sport iE ... Standard seat post, fenders, rack, lights, and 2" Big Ben tires.

View attachment 39337 View attachment 39338
View attachment 39348

View attachment 39339 View attachment 39340
View attachment 39342

Your post is another piece of evidence that my fears that heavy weight e bikes will prevail. That is, to drop weight Bianchi went to a "battery on top of frame" design solution which the market is moving away from. For example see Trek dropping the battery on frame Cross-rip at 44 lbs for "battery in frame" models at 54 lbs. With the market showing a distinct preference for sleek battery in frame models such as the Vado/Como and their 54 lbs.

Going forward the selection looks to be very thin for light weight fast (especially class 3) commuter/venture e bikes.

I bought a folding motorcycle ramp to roll my bike into my pickup.

Dear Salom, if fat shaming worked, we'd all be skinny. Just stop it. I've been told I was fat all my life, even when I wasn't. Now I am. I was even warned that I was overweight when I was extremely fit...my job was going hard up and down mountain slopes all day marking and cruising timber. I have even lost inches but gained weight. You apparently are a gene pool winner. I come from people who are round. We will never shrink down to what YOU expect, but we can try to fit.

Guess you won't have to deal with menopause, either? 'Nuff said.

My next expense will be for one of those pickup truck bike rack racks. Bike goes inside the pickup, front wheel in slot, bike stands up for ride.

Solom if you think Americans being overweight is the biggest problem and reason for our healthcare costs in America you are clueless

And all your ranting is really completely off topic here

My bike is a beast.About 76 pounds with my stuff on it.I pull front wheel,batt,and top bag and lift it into the back of my 2003 ford explorer.So far I can still do this.I have peddeled 22 miles with no power just to see if I could.I don't ride for exercise,thats a buy product of riding for fun and exploring.My motorcycle weight is 850 lbs empty so to me this bike is lite.Never have tryed to fit the motorcycle in the back of the explorer.LoL One last thing I woud ride with any of you,no matter the bike brand, bike weight,riders weight,or skill level.Lets ride and have fun.

My bike, fully loaded, is somewhere in the 70 pound range. When I need to get it up stairs (necessary to get it in and out of my townhouse) I "wheelie" it using the throttle to get it up on the rear tire. Then I slowly walk it up the stairs using the throttle and balancing it and pushing it with the seat (on my belt line) and handlebars. When I need to take it somewhere I pull the panniers and battery off the bike. That is a quick way to take 15 pounds off the frame and keep those bits safe inside the car.

my bikes are 70 and 75lbs, i only mind because i have to lift them up and down 25 steps every day

I have 2 ebikes (about 55 pounds each without batteries) and an etrike (about 85 pounds without batteries). I had been manually lifting the trike into my Ford Ranger pickup bed by lifting the back wheels up onto the tailgate, then picking up the front wheel and rolling it back into the truck bed. Then I would have to close the tailgate, install my hitch rack and lift each of the heavy ebikes onto the rack. The process was a real PITA and often gave me a sore back. Also, the loading and unloading took about 1/2 hour each to accomplish so that shortened our ride time.

I have now eliminated the hitch rack and built a truck bed rack that will accommodate the trike and both ebikes in the pickup bed. I made a couple of 5' ramps that rest on the tailgate so I can easily roll each one up into the truck bed. This has taken all the grief and heavy lifting out of it. It now only takes me about 5 minutes to unload or load all 3 bikes. It actually takes longer to attach the cinch straps that hold the bikes in place than it does to load the bikes.

I have 2 ebikes (about 55 pounds each without batteries) and an etrike (about 85 pounds without batteries). I had been manually lifting the trike into my Ford Ranger pickup bed by lifting the back wheels up onto the tailgate, then picking up the front wheel and rolling it back into the truck bed. Then I would have to close the tailgate, install my hitch rack and lift each of the heavy ebikes onto the rack. The process was a real PITA and often gave me a sore back. Also, the loading and unloading took about 1/2 hour each to accomplish so that shortened our ride time.

I have now eliminated the hitch rack and built a truck bed rack that will accommodate the trike and both ebikes in the pickup bed. I made a couple of 5' ramps that rest on the tailgate so I can easily roll each one up into the truck bed. This has taken all the grief and heavy lifting out of it. It now only takes me about 5 minutes to unload or load all 3 bikes. It actually takes longer to attach the cinch straps that hold the bikes in place than it does to load the bikes.

A perfect example of exactly what I was thinking of earlier in this discussion. There is ALWAYS a way!

True but it is still a hassle, I have bikes of lots of different sizes and shapes and the smaller lighter ones are easier to handle no matter what

Even if you have ramps to load Into a truck etc there are times you need to turn the bike around in a small space, lift a tire over something etc

I have four different ways to haul the bikes, all of them will the ramps and still I prefer the lighter bikes than heavy ones

The lighter bike is easier always

not at all saying it cannot be done but I personally am willing to pay $1000 -1500 more for a 45lb bike than a cheaper 65lb one if it has the options I want

Right now I have fewer bikes than normal because I have decided not to buy anymore heavy bikes

If a lot of these bikes I am interested in weighed 47lbs or less I would probably have a couple more

Excellent points Vincent, and there is no doubt that a lighter weight bike has many advantages. That said, weight wasn't really one of the considerations for me when I bought the ebikes I have. My main concerns were more related to riding comfort, motor power and range, brand reputation, serviceability, quality components, etc. All of the bikes I looked at and considered were kind of in the same general weight category give or take a few pounds. Do I wish they were lighter? Yes, but I would not give up the things I like about them to "lighten the load".

I totally get that, until the bafang ultra came out there were no bikes that I was really interested in because most of the lighter bikes did not have throttles

Now I think there are more motors coming out, more bikes and I am hoping that the trend is going to be toward lighter bikes....

I think that maybe a rider's size and condition has something to do with priorities when it comes to a bike's weight too. I have no trouble handling my bike, nor does my 70 year old wife (who is very fit) have any trouble with hers. We both have bikes that are in the low 60's (with battery).

Another factor as well, is that we generally ride right from home. On the occasion where we travel to a trail, I have a small utility trailer that's used, requiring that the bikes only be lifted (or rolled) maybe 12" up onto it's bed, and that's done one end at a time. They are wheeled into racks built into the trailer, kinda like a dirt bike would be loaded on to a trailer designed for those. Once the front wheel is started/inserted into it's channel, you can let go of the bike to get a new grip, that will allow the back of the bike to be rolled onto the trailer and further into the rack. 3 straps later, and we're rolling! Less than 5 minutes to load or unload.

Backing and handling that trailer, that's also used for many other purposes (with it available, I can no longer justify owning a PU), is second nature. A completely non event. I do understand that's not going to be the case everywhere. I bring it up more as another example of what can be done using the "lazy man finds an easy way to do anything" concept. -Al

I think that maybe a rider's size and condition has something to do with priorities when it comes to a bike's weight too. I have no trouble handling my bike, nor does my 70 year old wife (who is very fit) have any trouble with hers. We both have bikes that are in the low 60's (with battery).

Another factor as well, is that we generally ride right from home. On the occasion where we travel to a trail, I have a small utility trailer that's used, requiring that the bikes only be lifted (or rolled) maybe 12" up onto it's bed, and that's done one end at a time. They are wheeled into racks built into the trailer, kinda like a dirt bike would be loaded on to a trailer designed for those. Once the front wheel is started/inserted into it's channel, you can let go of the bike to get a new grip, that will allow the back of the bike to be rolled onto the trailer and further into the rack. 3 straps later, and we're rolling! Less than 5 minutes to load or unload.

Backing and handling that trailer, that's also used for many other purposes (with it available, I can no longer justify owning a PU), is second nature. A completely non event. I do understand that's not going to be the case everywhere. I bring it up more as another example of what can be done using the "lazy man finds an easy way to do anything" concept. -Al
I envy you that you can "ride from home" to your riding destination. In my case, I have to transport the ebikes pretty much everywhere we go to ride. I thankfully don't have a situation where I need to move my ebikes up steps to store them. I have ceiling mounted pully lifts in my garage to store them off season, and in the summer they are pretty much always in my truck bed except when we are riding them. Everyone's situation is different, and that determines what your priorities are when you are purchasing an ebike.

Skill level 7/8 out of 10 :

For those with good skills, Just an advice for carrying up stairs/ramps- use the throttle but very carefully and slowly. You have to kind of keep the bike centered and once it goes keep the throttle engaged and go up the stairs simultaneously with the ebike. I keep it engaged just enough so that i can walk up the stairs comfortably with the ebike.
You have to put some pressure on the front end so that the ebike doesn’t tip/that depends on the gradient of the stairs incline !

I have to do that in some Of the train stations and now ita piece of cake.
Also pay attention that the pedals are leveled or horizontal with the ground.

I know it sounds not doable for most people but if you are a regularly fit person , you CAN do it

! Of course to go down lifting is required unless is in an open area and can ride down the stairs.
A good ebike with suspension has no issues going down the stairs . The rider has to have some skills ! This part is not for everyone..

And that solves a lot of headaches going up the stairs.

Great points everyone. I think weight always mattered to me on all levels mentioned in the thread. The lighter the better; all the way for me!!
My ultimate F/S eMTB would be in the low 30 lb range with or without the battery attached. Hope we make it there soon at a reasonable price point.😜
I have the same sentiment, and have been hoping for the day to come. But judging by the current 2020 line-up, light-weight and reasonable price point doesn't exist in the same sentence. Maybe it might happen one day, but at my age I won't be holding my breath. 😅

I have two full suspension eMTBs:

A retrofitted trail bike with a Bafang BBS01 conversion kit: 21.39 kg (47 lbs)
and a Giant Trance E+ 3Pro : 24.6 kg (54 lbs)

My main concern about weight pertains to the effect it has on handling.

I've been riding the Bafang for nearly two years (before my wife snatched it off me for herself)! 🥰 It's agile on narrow technical single track sections.

My hesitation about getting the Trance E+ (7 pounds heavier) is that it might be cumbersome and sluggish when things get real tight and technical. I was pleasantly surprised that the added weight didn't seem to matter that much at all - BUT I did have to make some changes (the tyres most especially). As far as handling is concerned, I would say getting an eMTB with the right frame size would have a greater influence rather than weight.

The Bafang has XC short-travel DNA, while the Trance E+ has DH long-travel DNA... so they do shine in their own way. But I've tuned them so they are more versatile - with handling characteristics that crossover a bit more. AND, they are both very very capable of getting my wife and I to the nearest local cafe!

Lifting them in and out of our mini-van (front wheel off) has to be a two person affair, so the weight of either bike isn't an issue for us.

Attachments

• Frosty 01.jpg
    Frosty 01.jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 411
  • Kermit 01.jpg
    Kermit 01.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 435
Back