How heavy is your eBike, and do you care?

AHicks, I know, and I do feel bad for people with weight problems, but since I have no problems telling someone not to smoke in a restaurant (no one talks about smoke shaming) I have to be honest that it does bother me that other people's weight issues cost me money. The average car sold in America has over $500 in costs for stronger and longer seat belts, stronger seats, stronger bolts to hold in the seat and so forth. And don't get me started about taking a flight and having people who don't fit in their seat and take up half the space you paid for. Is it condescending? I don't know...but it's also the truth.

OK, straight up.
Speaking of my own weight (312) it's not an issue, I have no interest in weight reduction, and my physicals, including blood work, come back as good or better than most in my age range. I'm big for sure, but I have no "weight problem". If I do have a problem, it's with some people's perception.

As far as your 500 figure, and genetics, I'm not going to downplay there are those with weight concerns. That aside for just a moment, regarding genetics, are you saying the average 5'6" 165lb (the figures the FAA used for average at the time) guy of the 1950's is still "average" today? If so, please expand on your logic. Are you condemning my 6'2" height as an issue too? If that's not an issue, would it not be logical to say that car manf's are dealing with bigger people in general, and it is very definetly genetics in play here?

And both of these aside, what, if anything, has this got to do with my (non) preference for a lightweight bike, or being very happy with my over achieving average weight bike? You don't agree that I should be out riding because I want to? Because I enjoy being outdoors? Are you saying that I should only ride while trying to stay fit while on a light weight bike?

Are you not imposing your priorities someplace you have no business placing them?

It matters to me, still in the research stage. If I have to transport the ebike to a ride location instead of riding from home, I'm going to have to lift it on and off the carrier. I wish there were a lighter weight option that ticked all the other boxes for me, but it looks like I'm going to end up with something in the 55lb range. Ugh.

Also, this is starting to sound like it needs to be in the new psychology thread 😉.

It matters to me, still in the research stage. If I have to transport the ebike to a ride location instead of riding from home, I'm going to have to lift it on and off the carrier. I wish there were a lighter weight option that ticked all the other boxes for me, but it looks like I'm going to end up with something in the 55lb range. Ugh.

Also, this is starting to sound like it needs to be in the new psychology thread 😉.
If you are using a hitch mount carrier, look for one of the carriers that have a ramp option. That will take the grief out of loading and unloading the heavy ebike.

My bike weighed 63 lb out of the box with no electricity, panniers, or double leg kickstand. It is now about 75 with full toolset.
My previous bike (Pacific Quantum steel MTB) weighed about 90 with steel baskets I welded up myself, and no electricity. On that bike, and a predecessor steel Diamondback MTB that broke the rear axle, I worked myself down from 213 lb when I quit working, to about 170. I'm now at 160 lb with aluminum frame, nylon bags, electricity. No, I don't use the electricity all the time. Only on some of the worst of the 77 hills on my commute to my summer camp. I don't drive a car so loading bike on the rack is not a problem. Bike is too long for bus racks.
I am diabetic & HBP, with A1c of 5.9 last week (pills, no shots), and BP of 128/78 (BP pills). My extremely thin uncles required BP pills til age 97, I don't expect that to change.
My diet is not normal fast food. Just changing diet got A1c & cloresterol down some the first year. I have a food list if anybody is interested. Read DR. Ken Cooper, Aerobics, and Dr. Joel Furmann 3 keys to incredible. (Furmann's immunity claims are bogus, but the heart circulatory and cancer claims are well supported. Bonus less dementia)

Last edited:
Weighed mine (2019 Giant LaFree E+1) today because a friend who is interested in the model wanted to know. 48lbs without battery. Battery weighed 7.2lbs.

Bike weight only mattered to me because my bikes are inside my car for travel. With the front wheel and battery off, the bike is fairly easy to lift and set inside the electric car with plenty of room for the wheel and other cycling paraphernalia.

I believe my bike comes in at 52 pounds out of the box. I've of course changed the saddle, added a bell, new grips, 2-3 small lights, I carry an Abus foldy lock, added a rear rack and usually commute with a biggish bag to hold a change of clothes & shoes, plus a full water bottle. I've never attempted to weigh it fully loaded with all that. And then add on my ~250 pound self. (I started out on the bike at 303; pursuing some weight loss & exercise with the ebike was a primary goal at purchase.)
I don't mind the bike's weight, though I rarely have to lift the bike off the ground for any reason. (Well, actually, when I roll it into my home each evening, I do lift it to turn it 180 degrees so it faces the right way for morning exit.)
I usually commute to work now in Level 1 assist (of 5). Then on the longer ride home, as in tonight's ride, I use Level 0 for 98% of the journey, except the most "annoying" little hills on my route. As a means of exercise, I guess I now sort of appreciate the bike's heavier weight as it means more effort on my part when I drop into Level 0 (vs say, any ride on my old 29-pound Bianchi, which always feels like it must be made of helium whenever I get back on it after days spent on the ebike!)

Weighed mine (2019 Giant LaFree E+1) today because a friend who is interested in the model wanted to know. 48lbs without battery. Battery weighed 7.2lbs.

Bike weight only mattered to me because my bikes are inside my car for travel. With the front wheel and battery off, the bike is fairly easy to lift and set inside the electric car with plenty of room for the wheel and other cycling paraphernalia.
What size frame on the La free?

I agree on wanting lighter bikes, mainly for lifting anywhere for anything
Into the van, onto the car bike rack, onto the work rack
Would like to see some more bikes in the 40-45lb range

I agree on wanting lighter bikes, mainly for lifting anywhere for anything
Into the van, onto the car bike rack, onto the work rack
Would like to see some more bikes in the 40-45lb range

I agree... a lighter bike is easier to lift, balance and ride in most situations.

Two examples...

1. 40 lbs - Bianchi Manhattan with mods... Suspension seat post, lights, and 2" Big Ben tires.
  2. 45 lbs - Raleigh Misceo Sport iE ... Standard seat post, fenders, rack, lights, and 2" Big Ben tires.

1569902894141.png
1569903031489.png

1569904932366.png

1569903283424.png
1569903977375.png

1569904214235.png

Attachments

• 1569904179212.png
    1569904179212.png
    595.9 KB · Views: 378
  • 1569904364789.png
    1569904364789.png
    793.4 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
My wife won't ride anything these days but her 20" folder, so I ride my 20" folder or the 20" minivello when we ride together. The folders are also the bikes we take when traveling. They fit in the back of a minivan, so there's no drama or mess, wheeling the big bikes up to the hotel room at night. These bikes are about 30-35 pounds w/o batteries.

When I ride alone, I'm usually on my converted 30 year old Trek, with 500W rear motor. That's about 55 pounds. Steel frame.

39345 39350 39351

My wife won't ride anything these days but her 20" folder, so I ride my 20" folder or the 20" minivello when we ride together. The folders are also the bikes we take when traveling. They fit in the back of a minivan, so there's no drama or mess, wheeling the big bikes up to the hotel room at night. These bikes are about 30-35 pounds w/o batteries.

When I ride alone, I'm usually on my converted 30 year old Trek, with 500W rear motor. That's about 55 pounds. Steel frame.

View attachment 39345 View attachment 39350 View attachment 39351

Digging the Trek conversion... what year and model Antelope?

1569985257335.png

Attachments

• 1569985252551.png
    1569985252551.png
    6 MB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Great points everyone. I think weight always mattered to me on all levels mentioned in the thread. The lighter the better; all the way for me!!
My ultimate F/S eMTB would be in the low 30 lb range with or without the battery attached. Hope we make it there soon at a reasonable price point.😜

Doesn't concern me while riding, but it is a factor when loading into the truck.

There's a saying I heard a long time ago that applies to issues like that. It's simply "a lazy man can find an easy way to do anything".....

That may be true but I am not lazy and generally have very little ride time, getting the bikes on and off racks, into the van etc when they are heavy is a pia and takes more time/hassle

OH No! Didn't actually mean lazy at all. Meaning of saying is more like work smart, not hard!

I've seen all sorts of stuff used to load dirt bikes and other toys single handed. Any of it should make loading an ebike child's play!

I get it and if you’re loading is something that you can stand up in it makes a difference

but they are still more unwieldy and a hassle to handle than a bike that’s lighter

Back