How do you plan to fix a roadside flat?

Just a bunch of random observations..
  • CO2 is awesome but you'll still want a pump with you. I think of CO2 more as a way to quickly inflate a tire than as a pump replacement. Pet peeve: more manufacturers should provide pump heads that also connect to a CO2 cartridge.

do any pump makers offer this? Cuz I'd be all over that. Otherwise ..."Hello Sharks...
!"

2. Until this thread came about, I never dreamed people would consider using a towing service to take their bikes home. What happens if one goes off road, deep into the forest or on some rail trail?

I understand what you're saying and I was of similar mind set before I got my 60+ pound fat tired RadMini. I installed the fenders yesterday and though I've changed probably 30 or more flats in my lifetime, I have to say I had a heck of a time getting the wheel back on. It seemed like there was no play what so ever in the width between the dropouts which made fitting the torque washers a real pain. Unless it loosens up with repeated removal, it's not something I think I want to tackle out on the road, and that's not to mention the breaking the bead or finding a way not to scratch the heck out of the controller screen.
I believe though the point was having a service lined up ahead of time, just as a precaution. Not a lot of bike racks can accommodate a fat tired bike and though my RadMini folds, it won't easily fit in my car, besides my wife works nights and would be pissed if I interrupted her sleep to come pick me up. So sure, if I'm only 5 miles or less from home, I'll just walk. But, further than that (which is the majority of my rides), I either want to repair it or just get a ride home. If a ride home can be had on the cheap through a service, (someone mentioned AAA was as little as $35 a year I assume), it's not a bad idea. Again, one could call uber or a taxi, but you have to be sure they can carry a heavy fat tired bike. I think that was the point of a towing service as there isn't any question about whether or not they can carry your bike. Also, how is it different than if your out on an off road trail deep in the forest or a rail trail for that matter, you get a flat and find your new tube is defective? Split right down the seam it is, bummer ha ha, shoulda inspected it ahead of time. Hey, there's a novel thought, plan ahead!

I understand what you're saying and I was of similar mind set before I got my 60+ pound fat tired RadMini....plan ahead!

Well that was my reason for posting the original question. As I went out for my first ride I thought about what I would do if I had a flat not as easy as the old days of cheap bikes you could just flip upside down

You guys need to stop running over stuff. I put over 2,000 mi. on my cheap Schwinn network 3.0 w/o ever getting a flat and it came with chinsey tires. Now that I've said this, I'm sure I will be punished by a higher power on my next ride.

You guys need to stop running over stuff. I put over 2,000 mi. on my cheap Schwinn network 3.0 w/o ever getting a flat and it came with chinsey tires. Now that I've said this, I'm sure I will be punished by a higher power on my next ride.

I know DDBB, you don't want to jinx yourself!!
I hope I never get one either, but I just hear that fat bikes are prone to more flats.
A google search came across this AAA competitor, $40 year for bikes only. Will transport 30 miles... Have to be with bike, and at a road, no trails or bike paths. Just thought I'd post if anyone was interested.

https://www.betterworldclub.com/roadside-assistance/bicycle-roadside-assistance/

I carry AAA for the plow Jeeps, so it's there if I need it. AAA Plus will tow up to 100 miles.

Other than that, it's Bike-On liquid and Velox rim tape on my 80/90# Kendas.

do any pump makers offer this? Cuz I'd be all over that. Otherwise ..."Hello Sharks...
!"

The only one I know of is the OneUp EDC pump:

The whole system is expensive (about $120 for pump and multi-tool) but very well made. Presta valves only. Limited to about 40 psi. So if that will work for you go for it.

!"

There's heaps available - just google " mini pump co2" for a selection. Most are compromises with, eg pump barrels being too short to be effective as pumps. I eventually gave up and went with a decent pump that carried it's own co2 adapter - crank brothers. I love the ability to screw on / off the tubing then attach the pump via magnet without losing pressure, plus a relatively simple pressure gauge. But it still take 50 pumps to inflate a mtb tyre , and doesn't store the co2 cartridges inside the barrel like the cheap nasty useless things I had.

I still dream of having a power putlet to run a mini compressor.....works on the motorbikes

though I've changed probably 30 or more flats in my lifetime, I have to say I had a heck of a time getting the wheel back on. It seemed like there was no play what so ever in the width between the dropouts which made fitting the torque washers a real pain. Unless it loosens up with repeated removal, it's not something I think I want to tackle out on the road, and that's not to mention the breaking the bead or finding a way not to scratch the heck out of the controller screen.
Both of these problems bothered me, and I have no phone service the last 7 miles of my route. I intend to flip the bike and change the tire, no fooling around. I've had AAA take 3 days to respond with a wrecker, was not particularly impressed with the service. Since I have an aluminum frame that might fracture if spread, I ground back the fat part of the axle shaft on my hub motor so washers would fit inside the frame. Took about 2 hours, wasn't easy. Thinned the washers down too. Use safety glasses. Keep the axle from spinning by weighting the torque arm on the back side with a vise grip pliers.
The first bike motor conversion I did, the frame was a steel Huffy. I made a pry bar gadget out of box aluminum to fit between the spokes and spread the frame for the axle when changing a tire. I carried it in my tool box out on the road in case of flats. (Tool box is a kids steel pencil box with velcro fasteners).
On not scratching the display, I made a fake handlebar that rides an inch above the real one and clamps to the real one with screws. Loosen the screws, the clamp rotates down, display is protected from the ground. Also gets the display closer to me when up, which with 68 year old vision is not a bad idea.
I don't believe a taxi or wrecker could find me half the time. Half the road signs are missing out where I ride, the road names bend around 90 degree turns, and mapquest shows my camp address as being in town when actually I'm 7 miles out on another road of the same name as the city street. Off my regular route I don't even know the names of what road I am riding on. You have to ask the residents or the mailman to find out the road names.

Last edited:
I sometimes ride infrequently traveled remote trails miles from any road or intersection with little or no cell phone coverage. I always carry the necessary tools and have repaired flats on my MTB's without giving it much thought. As pointed out by many posters in this thread, ebikes are a different animal. Positioning the bike and removing the rear wheel, especially with a hub drive, can be a chore. At 72, this now has me questioning the wisdom of riding these trails alone with my ebike.

I have my Pedego Platinum Interceptor equipped with mag wheels, Kevlar belted tires and slime filled tubes. I carry a cell phone, charging cable to connect it to the USB port on the bike, GPS, complete set of wrenches, multi tool with pliers, tire valve tool, spare valve cores, a spare standard tube as well as a Gaadi style tube, patch kit, mini air pump, Co2 inflator with extra cartridges, rope (to tie the bike to a tree branch to work on), Bike lock (in case I have to leave it), electrical tape and first aid kit. For rides exceeding 30 miles, I also carry a spare ebike battery.

Even with all this gear (good thing it's an ebike!), I still feel like I'm taking a leap of faith when riding these remote trails alone. Comments and / or suggestions?

I sometimes ride infrequently traveled remote trails miles from any road or intersection with little or no cell phone coverage. I always carry the necessary tools and have repaired flats on my MTB's without giving it much thought. As pointed out by many posters in this thread, ebikes are a different animal. Positioning the bike and removing the rear wheel, especially with a hub drive, can be a chore. At 72, this now has me questioning the wisdom of riding these trails alone with my ebike.

I have my Pedego Platinum Interceptor equipped with mag wheels, Kevlar belted tires and slime filled tubes. I carry a cell phone, charging cable to connect it to the USB port on the bike, GPS, complete set of wrenches, multi tool with pliers, tire valve tool, spare valve cores, a spare standard tube as well as a Gaadi style tube, patch kit, mini air pump, Co2 inflator with extra cartridges, rope (to tie the bike to a tree branch to work on), Bike lock (in case I have to leave it), electrical tape and first aid kit. For rides exceeding 30 miles, I also carry a spare ebike battery.

Even with all this gear (good thing it's an ebike!), I still feel like I'm taking a leap of faith when riding these remote trails alone. Comments and / or suggestions?

Hi 6zfshdb! I'm located south of Trenton, NJ and am a little familiar with NorthEast PA. What parts of it do you ride your Pedego in? I always had a soft spot for the Delaware and Lehigh Canal system, making a day trip of it from GroundHog Lock, some 8 miles south of Easton, up to Allentown's Canal Park, where I'll break out my little ultralite seat and watch the Norfolk Southern Freight Trains move in and out and around the big Allentown yard.

The D&L Canal is a real gem of a towpath system to ride on. I've pretty much done the entire route, in stages, from Morrisville, PA, all the way up to White Haven, PA, some 150 miles or so away from it's beginning in Bristol PA.

Here is a nice video from the Pedego site regarding changing a flat tire on your rear hub motor drive:

I guess my advice would be to practice up doing this in the comfort of your garage or driveway at home, instead of figuring out how to do it on the road. That way you can go at your own pace, learning what works best for you at home, so when that time comes on the road, you will be armed with that knowledge!

My other advice to you would be to not let the fear of flatting out keep you from doing what you love to do. Riding in town is cool on an ebike, but getting off road, away from it all, opens up another world worth visiting. Don't ever let that go!

If you are not running premium, high end tires like what Schwalbe offers with their anti-flat technology, it might be worth it to look into them, read up on the reviews posted, and consider them when your current tires wear out.

Best Regards,
Mike

Hi 6zfshdb! I'm located south of Trenton, NJ and am a little familiar with NorthEast PA. What parts of it do you ride your Pedego in? I always had a soft spot for the Delaware and Lehigh Canal system, making a day trip of it from GroundHog Lock, some 8 miles south of Easton, up to Allentown's Canal Park, where I'll break out my little ultralite seat and watch the Norfolk Southern Freight Trains move in and out and around the big Allentown yard.

The D&L Canal is a real gem of a towpath system to ride on. I've pretty much done the entire route, in stages, from Morrisville, PA, all the way up to White Haven, PA, some 150 miles or so away from it's beginning in Bristol PA.

Here is a nice video from the Pedego site regarding changing a flat tire on your rear hub motor drive:

I guess my advice would be to practice up doing this in the comfort of your garage or driveway at home, instead of figuring out how to do it on the road. That way you can go at your own pace, learning what works best for you at home, so when that time comes on the road, you will be armed with that knowledge!

My other advice to you would be to not let the fear of flatting out keep you from doing what you love to do. Riding in town is cool on an ebike, but getting off road, away from it all, opens up another world worth visiting. Don't ever let that go!

If you are not running premium, high end tires like what Schwalbe offers with their anti-flat technology, it might be worth it to look into them, read up on the reviews posted, and consider them when your current tires wear out.

Best Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike: Thanks for the video.

Yes, I've ridden the D&L from White Haven as far south as Washington Crossing. Further south, the trail gets too populated for my liking. The D&H on the NJ side of the Delaware is also good from Frenchtown south to Trenton. There are many places to cross over so doing loops let you ride without repeating the scenery.

I do a lot of riding in southwestern PA and western Maryland. The C&O Canal, WMRT and GAP trails are among my favorites. The Pike 2 Bike trail is a unique one I also frequent. It requires a 4 - 5 hour drive for me to get there though. Closer to home, I prefer the Pine Creek, Lehigh Gorge and McDade trails in eastern PA.

I do use Schwalbe Kevlar tires and Slime tubes on my Interceptor. They came stock on the bike. I don't live in an area safe enough to ride the main roads and I don't much like riding with traffic anyway. So far, without much hesitation, I'm still riding my favorite trails.

Thanks for the info!

Rick

I have a Pedego Interceptor as well. For me it only took a little practice (and bluntly, trial and error) to figure out how to remove and replace the rear wheel in the field. One nice thing about the Interceptor is that the geometry of the handlebars nicely protects the display if you feel the need to flip the bike over. Another nice thing is that those mag wheels are beefy and you needn't worry about hurting the rims with tire levers.

The only real challenge is lining up the rear axle and the lock washers. With a little bit of practice it isn't a problem.

I recommend going to the hardware store and finding a wrench that works for the hub nut. Rather than use the little adjustable wrench in the toolkit that comes with the Pedego.

One thing about the slime tubes is that the slime usually contaminates the rubber cement in tire patches and makes it difficult for the patches to stick properly. So you kind of get dependent on spare tubes and removing the wheel.

Both of these problems bothered me, and I have no phone service the last 7 miles of my route. I intend to flip the bike and change the tire, no fooling around. I've had AAA take 3 days to respond with a wrecker, was not particularly impressed with the service. Since I have an aluminum frame that might fracture if spread, I ground back the fat part of the axle shaft on my hub motor so washers would fit inside the frame. Took about 2 hours, wasn't easy. Thinned the washers down too. Use safety glasses. Keep the axle from spinning by weighting the torque arm on the back side with a vise grip pliers.
The first bike motor conversion I did, the frame was a steel Huffy. I made a pry bar gadget out of box aluminum to fit between the spokes and spread the frame for the axle when changing a tire. I carried it in my tool box out on the road in case of flats. (Tool box is a kids steel pencil box with velcro fasteners).
On not scratching the display, I made a fake handlebar that rides an inch above the real one and clamps to the real one with screws. Loosen the screws, the clamp rotates down, display is protected from the ground. Also gets the display closer to me when up, which with 68 year old vision is not a bad idea.
I don't believe a taxi or wrecker could find me half the time. Half the road signs are missing out where I ride, the road names bend around 90 degree turns, and mapquest shows my camp address as being in town when actually I'm 7 miles out on another road of the same name as the city street. Off my regular route I don't even know the names of what road I am riding on. You have to ask the residents or the mailman to find out the road names.
Sounds like and interesting fix indianajo. Yep, I sort of new I was in for a difficult time when I couldn't even remove the wheel by pulling on it. I ended up using a broom stick to pry the wheel up and out as it was so tight in the drop outs.
Also sounds like a neat fix on protecting the display.

Kid Lew would flip his Dunelt .."Ride Awheel on Sheffield Steel"..English Racer upside down on the bars and seat - remove the wheel and fix the flat.
Now.....I don't think I can bring myself to do that..and I don't see how I could in any event what with all the accessories attached to the handlebar.
So planning ahead for what to do in this scenario...
Tow a Burly Trailer that doubles as a service stand?
Invent an inflatable cushion onto which my bike can be layed down?
Call AAA?
What's your plan?
(Maybe I'm over thinking this...I do that sometimes)
Lew
Why don't you consider going tubeless? See my video, search "Ripcurrent S Hyperfat tubeless"

I bike in the Maryland and DC areas and will use the AAA bike roadside assistance service. To prevent any road flats, I have installed the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and Slime tubes on my 2 ebikes. After 1700 miles, I have no flats so far, but will call AAA if there is an emergency. AAA may not offer this service in all its clubs.

https://midatlantic.aaa.com/membership/bicycle

Back