How do you plan to fix a roadside flat?

Yes, effectiveness will vary by where you ride. It would work well for me. I think AAA road service, if you don't already have it built in to your policy (AARP/Hartford does), is only like 35.00.

Bicycles and flat tires are just a fact of life. And I can tell you, I have had more than enough flat tires to know this is a truism. So how do I plan going about fixing a flat? First, by carrying my pump, tire pressure gauge, patch kit with tire irons. My ebike is a Haibike Full FatSix. So when a flat happens, I try to find a nice and shady spot to get out of the sun, grass preferred. Remove the handlebar bag, rear dry bag containing my tire patching gear, Yamaha display. Flip her over carefully. As most of my flats are in the rear, I'd shift the front chain ring to the smallest ring and the rear cassette gets shifted to the highest gear. This is done to allow the easiest means of disconnecting the chain from the cassette and pulling the rear tire out of the frame. Break the very tight tire bead (I use my feet to do the breaking; these Schwalbes grip on the rim cannot be broken by hand). Find and fix flat, repair, air tube slightly, place in tire, reset tire and rim bead, install on bike (don't forget your derailleur clutch on-off switch if you have one) and off you go. Have enough flats like I did and you will begin to have a set pathway in your mind how this repair will have to go.

A few months ago, I had my last conventional tube flat as I had enough of flattening out. So I went tubeless; with the DynaPlug tire patch system in case should I get a nail in the tire(s).

Attachments

• 100_3469.JPG
    100_3469.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 312
  • 100_3472.JPG
    100_3472.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 315
Flats are indeed a fact of life. My riding these days is mostly pavement on bike paths and quiet city streets but I do cover quite a distance and I ride a lot in our river valley which is huge, so you could have a flat a long walk from a rescue. Therefore, I carry tools, patch kit, pump and spare tube just in case. If I get a front flat, I just stop and fix it which takes 15 minutes. My E-bike is a rear hub drive so I don't like removing the rear tire on the road but will if I have to. However, since I am in the city and have an understanding wife, I call her for a rescue as my first choice. Secondly, I call the AAA as on our plan, they will pick me up, place the bike on their rack and drive me home up to 6 times a year. Thirdly, I am a senior with a Transit pass so if I am near a bus or LRT station, I'll jump that to get closer to home. All buses have bike racks and bikes can be taken on the LRT outside of rush hours. Lastly, I take out my tools and fix the bike where it is.

I have ridden over 5000 miles the last 2 summer seasons and have only had 1 flat so I guess I have been quite lucky - I hope it keeps up.

My first thought when I had a flat on the e-bike was - How am I going to get the wheel off?
Turning the bike upside down has been my method to take wheels off my regular bikes. I have always (last 22 years) carried a tube, pump and tire irons in a rear bag (Ortlieb back roller).
Had a flat front tire on my Specialized Vado a week ago. This was a slow leak so I noticed it at home on Sunday morning. Realized that the upside down method would not be easy for me with this heavy bike and found a way to hang or lift front of the bike with some long straps in the basement where we have store rooms.
CEAA5AE6-B603-4FC6-B1CA-618C8228E709.jpeg4D93744B-8E83-4F00-98D7-BB07FEDBE3EC.jpeg

The real problem turned out to be getting the tire loose. I thought it was glued to the rim. No way I could get a tire iron down between tire and rim. Had to work the tire for a long long time with my old weak hands before it loosened. From then it was not to heavy to get it off and back on.
Is this to be expecter with all e-bike tires?

Will continue to always carry tube etc. with my e-bike and probably lay the bike on left side to remove wheels if I have to. May put some long straps in the bags just in case.
It was disappointing to find the tires on the rather expensive Vado having no real puncture protection. If I get a another Vado (mine was stolen 2 days ago) I will replace oem tires immediately.
At home I have a large floor pump. A good pump in a reasonable size for large e-bike tubes to carry along is now on my shopping list.

Last edited:
When my new 30KG ebike arives I envision turning it upside down when out on the road/trail to be no easy task. Up to date on my road ebike I ride on M.P's and 3000 miles with no flats has me feeling confident that prevention is 99% of the way.

The first thing I did when I got my new bike was take the wheels off at home and remove the tyres and refit them to make sure they were easily removable before it happened at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere! I had a flat recently and normally I can fix them in 5 minutes but this one turned out to be the flat from hell...I used the traditional upside down method as I was on a grass verge.

On removing the tyre I found a small thorn! I always carry a couple of spare tubes so I installed one of my brand new tubes and used a co2 canister to inflate it, removed the canister and the tyre instantly deflated! I only had one more co2 canister so I decided to save it and use my pump instead, on attaching the pump I couldn't get the tube to inflate so I tried removing the pump and the inner valve core came out with it and try as I might I couldn't budge it from the pump!!!

I was thinking if only I had some pliers...so I grabbed my other brand new tube (made sure the inner core was tight) and said a quick prayer before I used my last co2 canister and although it didn't inflate the tyre properly it was enough to get me to a town which was 5 miles away and I borrowed some pliers at a service station and removed the valve core from my pump and then properly inflated my tyre! It was such a relief knowing my pump was back in action as I had almost 40 miles to return home! I now carry a small pair of pliers;) So if any of you carry spare tubes make sure that inner valve core is tight before inflating...

I was thinking if only I had some pliers...so I grabbed my other brand new tube (made sure the inner core was tight) and said a quick prayer before I used my last co2 canister and although it didn't inflate the tyre properly it was enough to get me to a town which was 5 miles away and I borrowed some pliers at a service station and removed the valve core from my pump and then properly inflated my tyre! It was such a relief knowing my pump was back in action as I had almost 40 miles to return home! I now carry a small pair of pliers;) So if any of you carry spare tubes make sure that inner valve core is tight before inflating...

This is a wild guess but were you using Presta valves and a Lezyne pump? The Lezyne pumps have a design flaw where they will tend to unscrew a loose Presta valve core from an inflated tube. It is a shame because otherwise they are awesome pumps.

My first thought when I had a flat on the e-bike was - How am I going to get the wheel off?
Turning the bike upside down has been my method to take wheels off my regular bikes. I have always (last 22 years) carried a tube, pump and tire irons in a rear bag (Ortlieb back roller).
Had a flat front tire on my Specialized Vado a week ago. This was a slow leak so I noticed it at home on Sunday morning. Realized that the upside down method would not be easy for me with this heavy bike and found a way to hang or lift front of the bike with some long straps in the basement where we have store rooms.
View attachment 26759View attachment 26760

The real problem turned out to be getting the tire loose. I thought it was glued to the rim. No way I could get a tire iron down between tire and rim. Had to work the tire for a long long time with my old weak hands before it loosened. From then it was not to heavy to get it off and back on.
Is this to be expecter with all e-bike tires?

Will continue to always carry tube etc. with my e-bike and probably lay the bike on left side to remove wheels if I have to. May put some long straps in the bags just in case.
It was disappointing to find the tires on the rather expensive Vado having no real puncture protection. If I get a another Vado (mine was stolen 2 days ago) I will replace oem tires immediately.
At home I have a large floor pump. A good pump in a reasonable size for large e-bike tubes to carry along is now on my shopping list.

Yes, a lot of modern wheels which are tubeless ready are often real, real tight on the rims.

If you need a high-volume, low pressure mini pump this Lezyne pump is a great choice. They also make an XL version for fat tire bikes. With the caveat that as with all Lezyne pumps, be careful with Presta valves. Make sure your multi-tool has a Presta valve core tool and you should be fine.

Reactions: PaD
This is a wild guess but were you using Presta valves and a Lezyne pump? The Lezyne pumps have a design flaw where they will tend to unscrew a loose Presta valve core from an inflated tube. It is a shame because otherwise they are awesome pumps.
Yes it was and after it happened I discovered this anomaly, as you say its a shame because the pump is very good otherwise!

After removing the rear wheel on my new RadMini to install the fenders:
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ling-rear-wheel-on-radmini.25822/#post-169406

I'm starting to like the idea of having a service (such as AAA) to get me home. (Thanks AHicks!). At least for those times when It's a long walk.
Being able to repair the flat at home is starting to make a lot of sense. Especially as I plan on using slime and installing tire liners when I do get my first flat.
I think it would be wise to still carry my CO2 inflator for slow leaks and a small selection of other tools but leave the spare tube and such behind.

I have a 26" Gaadi, but Huffy also makes a Gaadi style tube. I have the Huffys in 700cc and one in 20". Available in the MI, IL, and WI at Meijers for under 10 bucks. I pack them with a tire iron, patch kit, and CO2 inflator when we go somewhere distant.

I doubt I could ever fix a flat on my fatbike in the field, even on the front QR wheel. The tire bead is just too hard to break without a beer in hand and a hour of free time. It's the walk of shame on that bike if I get a flat. It doesn't even fit my bike rack.

I have a 26" Gaadi, but Huffy also makes a Gaadi style tube. I have the Huffys in 700cc and one in 20". Available in the MI, IL, and WI at Meijers for under 10 bucks. I pack them with a tire iron, patch kit, and CO2 inflator when we go somewhere distant.

I doubt I could ever fix a flat on my fatbike in the field, even on the front QR wheel. The tire bead is just too hard to break without a beer in hand and a hour of free time. It's the walk of shame on that bike if I get a flat. It doesn't even fit my bike rack.

LOL harryS, well said :)

This could be a use case for big drones that can lift 100 pounds :
The first thing I did when I got my new bike was take the wheels off at home and remove the tyres and refit them to make sure they were easily removable before it happened at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere! I had a flat recently and normally I can fix them in 5 minutes but this one turned out to be the flat from hell...I used the traditional upside down method as I was on a grass verge.

On removing the tyre I found a small thorn! I always carry a couple of spare tubes so I installed one of my brand new tubes and used a co2 canister to inflate it, removed the canister and the tyre instantly deflated! I only had one more co2 canister so I decided to save it and use my pump instead, on attaching the pump I couldn't get the tube to inflate so I tried removing the pump and the inner valve core came out with it and try as I might I couldn't budge it from the pump!!!

as I read this it reminded me of the scene from Flight of the Phoenix where they only have one cartridge left to start the engine

as I read this it reminded me of the scene from Flight of the Phoenix where they only have one cartridge left to start the engine
I had to Google that;) a bit more scary than having a puncture:p

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable strapping my ebike onto some drone, off to who knows where? :)

Oh I loved that movie! Remember how that German toy plane designer took care of the prisoner that threatened to slow down their operation?
Talk about a problem solver!! ha ha, just kidding :)
I don't think he's the kind of guy I'd want around fixing my flats, that's for sure :)

Just a bunch of random observations...
  • A lot of the folks here who are concerned about fixing a flat in the field ought to consider tubeless, especially if their wheels are able to easily handle tubeless tires. Tubeless isn't all rainbows and unicorns but can make the substantial majority of flats easy-peasy to fix in the field.
  • Using tire sealant, tire liners, and extra-tough tires all can reduce the odds of getting a flat, or at least making it possible to limp to someplace more convenient to fix that flat. But it is important to remember that even if you do all of that and live a righteous life you will still get flat tires, probably in inconvenient places or times.
  • Inflate your tires to your preferred tire pressure, then squeeze the tire between your thumb and forefinger. Remember how that feels. Give your tires that same squeeze before you get on the bike and if the tire feels wrong give it (the tire) some more air. If you do this enough you won't really think about it anymore and you can detect a low-pressure situation that might cause a snakebite.
  • CO2 is awesome but you'll still want a pump with you. I think of CO2 more as a way to quickly inflate a tire than as a pump replacement. Pet peeve: more manufacturers should provide pump heads that also connect to a CO2 cartridge.
  • Replace your patch kits, or at least the glue in the patch kit, at least once a year.
  • Spend the extra three or five bucks and buy quality tubes. Yes, the cheap tubes from Wad-Mart probably came from the same factory as the fancy Bontrager tubes you buy at a bike shop but I'm sure the cheap tubes were not the pick of the litter, as it were. Also be a bit suspicious of tubes of dubious vintage from a dusty corner of a hardware store.
  • In the last season I had three flat tires. One was in a well-traveled location and the sealant in the tubes allowed me to easily complete my trip -- but the tire completely deflated overnight and the tube would no longer hold pressure. The other two were in isolated locations where there was no cell service and in one of those cases it would have been problematic, at best, for a vehicle to get to me even if I could contact them. So unless you are one hundred percent certain you are never going to find yourself in the middle of the howling wilderness with a flat tire I wouldn't depend too much on a cell phone, AAA, or your mommy.

Thanks for the heads up on the Huffy quick change tubes. Amazon has them for $9.99 with free Prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=huffy+qu...quick+change+tube,aps,208&ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_23

1. Your tire fit into the bead cannot be any tougher than my Schwalbe Jumbo Jims on the Full FatSix rims. I recommend you do this: with your tire/rim on the ground (preferably dirt or grass to avoid scratching the rim up), with the brake rotor facing UP, place your right foot at the 5 o'clock position on the rim as it faces you while you are standing up. Now, place your left foot at the 7 o'clock position on the rim. The feet are parallel with the rim lip. Now, with your right heel, apply good pressure with your right heel, then your left. It would be fine if you get your heels closer together; that works just as well. Your bead should release. If not, try again. This is how I do it in the field and it has worked everytime. Now, it is your option to remove the tube without breaking the opposite side of the bead. Be sure to run your fingers inside the tire carcass to feel for the object that caused the flat and remove it. The set tire bead on my bike cannot be broken any other way with tools.

2. Until this thread came about, I never dreamed people would consider using a towing service to take their bikes home. What happens if one goes off road, deep into the forest or on some rail trail?

3. The higher sustained speeds of our ebikes demand first class tires and tubes and/or a tubeless set up. I think it penny wise and pound foolish to cheap out on tires or tubes; especially if one is motoring along at 20 or 25 mph.

4. The two pictures I posted here in Post 22? That was an especially bad day this past Labor Day. It was about 120 degrees road temperature when I suffered that rear flat. So I flipped her over and patched the tube. No problem. Then, some 7 miles down the road, the rear tire literally blows apart as for some reason, the tube just went Kaboom!. And I was some 15 miles from home at that point. And the rear tire bead was permanently ruined when the tire tube blew out. Lucky for me, I pushed the bike to my niece's home, some 3 miles from the blow out. The moral of the story being, yep, it's best to carry tubes, a pump, patch kit; but when a tire is ruined, so is your day.....

Back