How do you lockup your ebike

trainman

I went with the Abus Bordo Grant X Plus 6500 Level 15. First let me say here that we are recreational riders, that is taking them camping and riding on city bike trails and hopefully when lockup is needed is in a reasonable safe area. This lock is probably way more then we need, but no lock is totally thief proof, plus this style can be mounted to the bike where the water bottle mounting is. We went with the strap style over the U type mainly because of it's more versatility use for our needs. Do you have a favorite lock and why?

Last edited:
I had to use a chain on my first e bike b because you couldn't to get most locks around it easily. right now I use a foldy lock but I don't lock my bike up for long on the street. I have a cafe lock for fast trips into a store or at work in the basement of my building and this guy to lock it at home. I wanted to get matching abus locks so they all have the same key but they don't make theirs best locks with matching keys. so I may just replace the cafe lock and the padlock used at home. way to many keys to carry around.

C021CFB0-6B99-47A0-9063-820067624567.JPG
IMG_0265.jpg

Our city doesnt have those nifty bike tethers cast in concrete. The Abus won't fit around a telephone pole. Most street sign posts are too short, the bike can be lifted off the top. I use this 7' long lumintrail 12 mm cable and a master grade 11 lock. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lumintrail...hash=item54773370a5:m:mpbfTlq_hs5-vvV1uF048ig
Looks stouter than it really is. A $279 bolt cutter could cut it, but most thieves don't have those. 18 months with the bike parked on the street while I'm at work or in the store, no problem so far. Thieves with vans are into gas scooters; will cut a chain link fence to get one of those.
I've got a 3/8" x 6' SS steel sling, but I still have to paint it to keep it from scarring up the bike. Use that as a 2nd tether around power wheel in downtown Louisville. Weighs a lot more than the lumintrail cable.

Last edited:
I use pitlock locks on my wheels and seatpost so I don't have to worry about them.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    905 KB · Views: 456
This EBR video on a ebike dealer in New York City on locks is interesting, it does talk about some of the top Abus locks can be keyed alike.

Sorry, I don't, it's never out of my sight.
But I'm starting to see people locking their ebikes here in NYC.
I'm still skeptical.
do you sleep with it too? I don't leave mine outside locked at anyplace for long but still I want to ride it so it has to be locked sometimes.

U-lock for the frame and a cable lock through both wheels. More than that though I'm careful about where I lock up... somewhere with a lot of visibility and traffic, like parking at the front of a restaurant on the main street as opposed to on a side street or around back. Any bike lock can be cut through with the right tools, but it's unlikely anyone will be so bold if it's parked somewhere high traffic/visibility. I also try to lock up somewhere that I can see it from a window.

If I'm going to have to lock and leave it for anywhere more than a few hours though, I will probably take my acoustic road bike. I've left that thing at bike racks without a lock on it, for several days, and no one touches it... it's an old Azuki probably made in the early 70s and quite beat up by now, not to mention having a huge frame. Not a lot of theft value in an old junker that only tall people can ride, but it still rides like a dream for me :)

For quick stops where I won't really be out of sight from the bike (coffee, convenience store etc), I'll use a good U-Lock with decent cable.

If I'm doing something like a grocery run, which means leaving the bike out of sight for longer, I'll bring a fairly intimidating looking OnGuard 16mm chain and lock (apparently OnGuard is harder to pick, only because it's less common on bikes than Kryptonite and Abus - security through obscurity, though the mechanism is similar), and still use the U-Lock and cable.

I keep it stored in home, so no worries there.

For quick stops where I won't really be out of sight from the bike (coffee, convenience store etc), I'll use a good U-Lock with decent cable.

If I'm doing something like a grocery run, which means leaving the bike out of sight for longer, I'll bring a fairly intimidating looking OnGuard 16mm chain and lock (apparently OnGuard is harder to pick, only because it's less common on bikes than Kryptonite and Abus - security through obscurity, though the mechanism is similar), and still use the U-Lock and cable.

I keep it stored in home, so no worries there.
actually bike stolen at home are more common then you would think. it may be a worse problem then bike stolen in other places. my bike shop told me thats where most of the people who have bikes stolen loose them. so its best to lock them up at home too. thats why I lock mine ot the floor of my garage.

I use an Mwave frame lock w/cable. My Orion had eyelets for mounting but I needed to cut the mounting studs on the lock off for it to fit.
I don't consider the areas where I usually lock up as "high crime" and with the cable I can also lock up my helmet. The only thing that takes time is coiling the cable back up but that's about a half a minute.
(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)

actually bike stolen at home are more common then you would think. it may be a worse problem then bike stolen in other places. my bike shop told me thats where most of the people who have bikes stolen loose them. so its best to lock them up at home too. thats why I lock mine ot the floor of my garage.
I should have been more clear... I live in a condo, so if someone is stealing my bike at home, I probably have bigger problems... :)

My chain locks aren’t great, but I pair them with this thing as a main deterrent. If the bike is moved a millimeter while armed, the siren goes bonkers. It works exceptionally well. It gives a loud warning chirp first if nudged. If moved again in a few seconds, it goes bonkers for 30-60 seconds after it’s no longer jostled. No matter the lock, this thing is a good second layer of protection.

Onvian Wireless Anti-Theft Motorcycle Bike Alarm with Remote, Waterproof Bicycle Security Alarm Vibration Sensor, 113dB Loud https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFBV7TW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YUf-DbPWHY0MY

I never leave it in a vulnerable spot. I’m usually more concerned about vandalism, intentional or just some asshat mom thinking her rugrat sitting on it is cute. I also have more than one bike. If I’m downtown at a meeting I try for a camera zone and ride my scruffiest least favorite bke. Currently that’s a TSDZ2 mid drive and battery that I was given for doing a test and review. Hated it, they never used my review and they did not want it back. Gifting it to a disabled fellow, making my folder the crappiest ride. $350 frame, $100 motor, and $30 battery.

US Police departments recommend "using two locks of different types because this will defend the secured bicycle against multiple perpetrator techniques (e.g., if a cyclist uses a D lock and a chain lock, then a thief must apply both “levering” and “cutting” or “striking” to free the secured bicycle)."

An interesting side note is that " “secure” refers to a lock that can withstand an attack lasting 3 minutes or more by a thief using readily available hand tools".

At home in the garage I use a massive Abus 37/80 padlock and Abus Granit 12mm chain tied to the base of a toolbox.

I mostly just cruise around and then come home so I'll rarely if ever park and lock the bike for long. If I do, I'll park within sight, engage cafe lock and take controller.

If I plan on stopping for longer I'll take my Abus Granit U lock and cable. So then it's U-lock to bike rack, cable thru front wheel and bike rack to the cafe lock and take controller.

One of my (irrational) fears before getting the ebike was losing it to some guy who just strong arms it from me. Pretty remote chance but I carry pepper spray.

If I get around to it, I need one of those nut locks for the seat.

Use ebay for all the locks and chains. Used works just as well.

I use a Hiplok. Not the highest level of security but its easy to carry and use. Note that I dont live in a high crime area and when I ride my bicycle to work I dont have to lock it, its a VERY secure facility. I do lock my bicycles and scooters in my garage though. The scooters each get a Kryptonite mini U-Lock and a ABUS mini U-lock. Wife's scooter gets a OnGuard interlink chain combo lock. I also have 2 Hiplok's, one for my flatland bike and one for my wife's beach cruiser. I wish the Hiplok's were all keyed alike.

The only way mine are not locked up in a garage is when they are trailered on our way to a destination, or while I'm riding more locally.

Sigtuna heavy duty lock, there is a catch I use my bike for hunting so I lock it to a tree within about 20 yards of the tree i am up. I have either a compound bow, crossbow or a shotgun in my hands. It would take balls to steal while i was in the tree. I take about 10 minutes to use the climber to get down but i do not think i could watch someone steal my stuff without doing everything i could to prevent it .

Back