A lock for my new ebike

sorofsh

Region
USA
Hello,

So I am getting an ebike (Radrover 6) this week and I would like to have some locks ready for it. The bike would be locked on campus where there is a lot of people, which hopefully grants some security.
I already bought the following lock: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QN0MI0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
However, I feel like I would like to have double protection. After all, it is a $2000 bike. Any can recommend another lock I can use on top of the one above? I keep reading of ABUS as the best thing: https://www.amazon.com/Bordo-Granit...3W/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B071ZPJ7JY&th=1&psc=1

It seems pricy but if it offers the most protection, then I feel like it is justified.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am very green when it comes to locks.

I use an Onguard brute 4.5 x 10 plus a 7" cable

the cable is to get both wheel for the opportunistic robber

The cable is a good idea, thank you for pointing it out. I feel like it is an easy cut, but will at least offer some protection for the wheels

I have the ABUS Bordo folding locks with the alarms. I installed additional motion alarms on the bikes. I also have a couple of the Tex Lock 2.0 with the larger X-Lock. Saw a couple of vids online of people defeating the various bike locks. The Tex Lock took awhile (over 4 minutes). Given enough time and opportunity a determined bike thief is going to defeat a bike lock. If it makes noise and takes a good amount of time (especially with people around) I would hope they would choose an easier bike. Hiplok is coming out with a D-Lock in another month or two that is suppose to be grinder proof. Pretty expensive at around $300. I might pick one up just because.

I used a 10 mm mild steel chain on my mountain bikes worth $75. On my $2000 cargo bike
I'm using this 6' long 1/2" (13 mm) stainless sling to wrap around power poles, gas meters & live electrical conduits https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T15 $79 + freight
Yes, you can cut it with a $280 stainless rated cable cutter. Not with stanley dikes, unless the thief has a couple of hours. Rolls up in the pannier (bag).
I use the abus 92/80 lock with 6 pins and a 12 mm shaft. $48 + freight from zoro via ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3838647251...2Zf3Mpn:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!47130!US!-1
4 years, no trouble, no attempts. Someone attempted twice to remove the battery in rural Charlestown, loosening 2 of the 26 screws, but gave up there. Elastic stop nuts fight you all the way off. I've had one back light stolen and another broken by an attempted theft.

Last edited:
I was just reading about this lock, it may be very helpful,
kinda expensive, but worth if if it saves a $4000 E Bike.

Tia,
Don

Lots of YouTube videos showing how fast it is for someone to use an angle grinder to get through almost anything in just a few seconds.

Which is why I recommend two things: (1) an alarm and (2) spray-painting a part of the bike dayglow orange, so it stands apart. Of course, if the bike is brand-new then you will have to decide how important the original paint job is to your pride of ownership. But an altered bike will lose most or all of its value to a thief.

Lots of YouTube videos showing how fast it is for someone to use an angle grinder to get through almost anything in just a few seconds.

Which is why I recommend two things: (1) an alarm and (2) spray-painting a part of the bike dayglow orange, so it stands apart. Of course, if the bike is brand-new then you will have to decide how important the original paint job is to your pride of ownership. But an altered bike will lose most or all of its value to a thief.
I agree with the alarm part. Not so much on the spray paint. I rarely ever use my Ulock and or cable (except at home!) and try and take my bike inside wherever I am. I do activate the alarm if the bike is out of my site (usually at the gym or at a restaurant tavern)-even at home in my secured 2 car garage! If the bike thieves want your bike, no ulock or cable is going to stop them. It may delay them for a minute or 2 but if they want it they will take it. So the moral to the story is if you want to keep your expensive ebike, take it inside with you or make sure it doesn't leave your sight. (or hire a caddy that watches your bike when you travel!)

Back