Hitch Rack for GSD

bradl

Is anyone using a car rack with the GSD that they can recommend? Specs list the GSD S00 at over 70 lbs.

The 1UP Super Duty can support that (and I love its lack of fiddly bits) but I can't envision how its rear wheel containment method could ever work with the dense nest of tubing over the rear wheel of the GSD. The Kuat NV and Thule EasyFold seem to top out capacity below the listed weight of the GSD.

Use case is a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 2" hitch receiver. I'm told the GSD is small enough to just toss (er, laboriously and carefully load) into the cargo area, but a rack would be preferred.

Hm, the gallery of review photos for the GSD include this image of one on what looks to be a Kuat NV. Looks like "the hook" is at the front rack attachment. I was only planning on putting a luggage truss with small basket up front. Doubt that's as robust as that stout porteur rack!

tern-gsd-s00-loaded-on-car-mounted-bike-rack-1200x800-c-default.jpg

Your first choice of the 1up Super Duty Single is a good one. It's rated to 75# and can be expanded to carry 3 bikes at 75# each. A bit pricey buy it's made mostly of steel with very little plastic. Hard to tell if it will fit the GSD though. There is a spacer kit available for tire widths over 3.1" which might help. I suppose you could call and ask or return it if it doesn't fit.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-single-bike-rack/

Last edited:
I own and dearly love a 1 up single (not the Super Duty), but I can't imagine how it could function on that back wheel setup of that bike. The way it holds the wheels just ain't compatible.

That's some interesting bike, though!

Yeah, that's my conundrum. My bike is being assembled this week or next. Once I get it I think I'll weigh it as delivered to see where it's at weightwise. Not sure if the spec'd weight includes a battery. If it does, dropping the battery might get it close to legal for the Thule. The Thule looks fiddly (and expensive) to me but the way the frame retention arm works on the EasyFold it should easily find a target in all that tubing :)

This is what I use. I got it from Discount Ramps for under $150.00. It is designed for small motorcycles, only weighs 34 pounds and has a 400 pound weight limit. Works perfectly for my 63 pound fatty either on my travel trailer or my VW which is about the same size as your jeep. I just completed a 2,600 mile road trip with it and no problems what so ever.

Attachments

• Bike Rack.jpg
    Bike Rack.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,314
In the spirit of following up … I ended up with the Thule EasyFold XT. The stock wheel straps did not work because the 20" wheel diameter didn't bring the rims close enough to the mount points for the straps to engage; however there are Fat Tire straps available that are much longer and those worked perfectly.

The included ramp seems a nice idea in principle but the rack mounts so high on my Jeep that it's easier to just hoist the bike up onto the rack — either all at once, or rear tire then front tire — than it is to try and push/steer it up a very steep ramp.

My garage situation is pretty cramped so I appreciate how the thing folds up and is easily wheeled under a shelf. It's also a lot lighter than I expected and I can stow it in the jeep, alternatively.

I waffled for a long while but when I saw REI take $100 off over the recent holiday I bit the bullet.

How is the Thule working out for you? I noted that listed weight capacity is 60 lbs for both it and the Kuat. Have you had any issues there? Stripping my GSD S00 down to bare bones, I'm at 64 lbs.

I too strip down mine before loading. It's working out great so far.

Because my Jeep hitch is relatively high I struggled with loading my GSD until I accepted that it is *much* easier if I take the time to fold down and secure the handelbars. If I do that I have better control of the bike, the handlebars are not swiveling around and bonking me on the head, and the front wheel cannot get out of alignment on the way up the ramp or while getting set up.

I really like the ease of movement and storage for the rack when not in use, too. I have to fight for every inch of space in my garage and this rack rolls neatly out of the way under an existing shelf for me.

Nice. I was leaning towards the Kuat, but they're pretty much out of stock everywhere. I just ordered the Thule with fat straps. Everything should arrive just in time for our road trip on Friday.

Bradl, thanks for starting this conversation and for following up with pics of the Thule EasyFold. I just bought a Tern GSD and I own a Kuat NV 2.0 rack. Even without the accessories, the GSD was making the Kuat rack bend quite a bit and I wouldn't trust it since all of that bending stress is on two bolts that hold the rack together. In addition to the bending, the wheelbase is so long that the back tire is off the rack. It looks like the Thule is a better solution and I also like the fact that it compresses down more for storage. There are great reviews for the Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE since it is adjustable for wheelbase and has a high load rating, however it is heavy itself and I don't want to lift the GSD onto the Hollywood rack.

Bradl, I was wondering how that Thule rack is working out for you. We recently bought a Tern GSD S10 LX and I'm looking for a carrier for it. Right now, I have my eye on the Thule EasyFold XT 2, but it also has a weight capacity lower than the actual bike weight. What is your experience with your bike on your carrier, being over the weight limits?

I'll share our experience in the quest for a GSD-compatible rack. It may be TMI but hopefully someone can appreciate these details. We own a Gen 2 Tern GSD S10 LX, and we bough the Kuat NV 2.0 rack a few months ago (actually after reading this thread). It works decently well with the GSD (more on that in a bit), but since I was feeling a nervous that the specs were not officially compatible, we bought a Hollywood Rack Sport Rider SE to see if it was any better (according to specs, the Hollywood rack should be able to carry the GSD, it has a higher weight limit, etc.). After installing and testing out the Hollywood Rack earlier this week, I think we are going to return it and stick with the Kuat!

My biggest complaint with the Hollywood Rack is it's REALLY hard to load the GSD onto it. The main issue relates to the way the center clamp bar/tower assembly is designed - it can be upright or folded down. If the tower and hooks are up, they end up being in the way while loading the bike, and if it's folded down it's nearly impossible to then raise up the tower once bike is loaded due to back deck/pannier interference (this may be avoided if you load the bike in the outer slot, but I wanted to get the heavy bike as close to the vehicle as possible for stability). Some other minor issues: The front wheel fender interferes with the wheel carriage unless the handlebars are folded & clamped down. Back wheel, you need to buy a separate small-wheel adapter to avoid damaging the derailleur (they say you can avoid this by downshifting all the way before loading, but I did this and the derailleur still hits the wheel carriage). That would be fine except we want to use this rack for both our GSD and our gravel bikes, but to do that we would need to uninstall the small wheel adapter before loading a bike with regular-size wheels, which would be quite annoying.

On to the Kuat NV 2.0! The main things we like about the Kuat NV 2.0:
- Really easy to use, thoughtfully-designed
- Confidence-inspiring, solid construction
- Compatible with our other bikes, so we can mix-and-match on the fly with minimal pfaffing

We load the GSD as seen in the previously-posted photo. Some tricks to make the GSD work on the Kuat:
- Adjust the wheel scoop into the lower position, it allows for a slightly longer wheelbase (~50")
- Lock the GSD's front suspension so the hook can securely compress onto the frame
- Having a front rack as in the photo (i.e. Tern Hauler) allows for secure hook positioning. Without this, you can still position the hook over the mount point for the front rack, but it feels sketchy
- You DO NOT need the 20-24 Wheel Adapter sold by Kuat due to the placement of the hook, and the fact that there's a front fender makes it useless anyways
- Maximally de-loading the bike (removing child seats, battery, etc.) is highly recommended

To summarize, even though the GSD's wheelbase is at or slightly beyond the official spec for the Kuat rack, and same goes for it's weight, we still like it better than the Hollywood Rack for it's design, solid feel, and ease of use.

Thule EasyFold XT 2 is rated for 60KG total more than enough for single GSD, I wouldn't worry to much about max single bike weight of 30kgs. Two GSDs would be pushing max load, but should OK for GSD plus another lighter Ebike if you remove the batteries.
Expensive but brillant racks, after few trips you will realise it was worth every cent.
Couple things to be careful of.
1) Always tighten clamps holding frames till it clicks, you can't over tighten. I didn't tighten mine up and one handle bar is now shorter than the other, wheel straps held.
2) If you drop rack back to open trunk, make sure it clicks after putting back in place and give it pull to make sure its latched. Mine came loose at 80kmhr with 2 ebikes on it. Didn't break and bikes didn't touch the ground but not recommended travelling position.

Are you able to post any pictures?

Thanks!
71E6424D-C2CF-4AC0-8067-3334408C0B5A.jpeg

9CE3A525-5701-4A8E-A0C0-CFF8E27D63BE.jpeg

We ended up going for the Kuat, but also bought the passenger swing.

Works quite well; and seems to handle the weight of the tern just fine. I’ll tear off as much extra weight for long trips.

Back