HELP: Trek Allant 8S or Cannondale Tesoro Neo X 1

MrNoFluFF.com

Region
USA

Cannondale Tesoro Neo X 1 or Trek Allant 8S?​

I want a Bike to pull my two kids on a burly trailer and do 50 miles per ride, I’m a strong rider that does 50-100 miles solo on analog bike with the trailer but get me super tried pulling kids, so I want ebike to make it more fun.

I bought a 2021 Trek Domane + HP and spend $8,498.54 with accessories and it was just a headache…Problems after problems. In 14 days of ownership I had seven problems and eventually Trek give me a second “NEW/Lie“ 2021 Trek Domane hp which was really a demo/used bike with 152 miles already on it and Trek Warranty try to pass it to me as a ”new” bike but that bike was a lemon right out of the gate. After delivery I rode it for just 0.5 of a mile and the bike was making all kinds of noises.

So now my question is should I buy the Cannondale X1 or should I buy a Trek Allant 8S? [pls consider all headaches we had trek)

Proof of the Two 2021 Trek Domane HP Problems

Last edited:
I'm an Allant 8s owner. It's a great bike. However, on paper at least, the x1 and the 8s are pretty similar. The drive train on the x1 actually looks a tad better on paper. Your experience with the local Trek dealer is less than satisfactory, so why would you want to buy from them again?

I had great fun pulling my daughter in a Burley decades ago, even adding a friend as they go older, so I can imagine what fun you have to look forward to. Wonder what kind of mileage you'll get? A lot depends on how hard you work, of course.

I'm an Allant 8s owner. It's a great bike. However, on paper at least, the x1 and the 8s are pretty similar. The drive train on the x1 actually looks a tad better on paper. Your experience with the local Trek dealer is less than satisfactory, so why would you want to buy from them again?

I had great fun pulling my daughter in a Burley decades ago, even adding a friend as they go older, so I can imagine what fun you have to look forward to. Wonder what kind of mileage you'll get? A lot depends on how hard you work, of course.
Thanks for your comment! These burley trailers are amazing and build super durable and reliable. I have 17,000 miles on my burley and it’s still in ring.

Do you have any problems with trek 8s?

We have two 8s. We bought them this past spring. Both have been flawless. Our typical lunch ride is fairly demanding on the bike, about 1000 feet of elevation changes, so some good climbs with the motor, and some downhill runs too. Since the downhills have limited sight, we give the brakes a workout too, since we don't like to approach a curve at a speed faster than we can stop quickly - you never know when someone would be blocking your way...

We have two 8s. We bought them this past spring. Both have been flawless. Our typical lunch ride is fairly demanding on the bike, about 1000 feet of elevation changes, so some good climbs with the motor, and some downhill runs too. Since the downhills have limited sight, we give the brakes a workout too, since we don't like to approach a curve at a speed faster than we can stop quickly - you never know when someone would be blocking your way...
Thanks for sharing.

How old are your kids? 50 miles in a Burly?
Maybe one of the cargo ebikes and the kids sit behind you.
One is 3 and other almost 2. So total weight is 55 lbs. the kids love it. We take Watermelon/grapes/strawberries/cherries/seed/etc and we stop at Every Park we see to let them play.

the trips normal take 10-12 hours for 50 miles as we just chill and enjoyed life.

Cannondale Tesoro Neo X 1 or Trek Allant 8S?​

I want a Bike to pull my two kids on a burly trailer and do 50 miles per ride, I’m a strong rider that does 50-100 miles solo on analog bike with the trailer but get me super tried pulling kids, so I want ebike to make it more fun.

I bought a 2021 Trek Domane + HP and spend $8,498.54 with accessories and it was just a headache…Problems after problems. In 14 days of ownership I had seven problems and eventually Trek give me a second “NEW/Lie“ 2021 Trek Domane hp which was really a demo/used bike with 152 miles already on it and Trek Warranty try to pass it to me as a ”new” bike but that bike was a lemon right out of the gate. After delivery I rode it for just 0.5 of a mile and the bike was making all kinds of noises.

So now my question is should I buy the Cannondale X1 or should I buy a Trek Allant 8S? [pls consider all headaches we had trek)

Proof of the Two 2021 Trek Domane HP Problems

You would be better off with the trek 8s. It would be more reliable than the cannondale and imo it’s the better e-bike between the two.

My allant8s has 2500 miles and has been reliable with no issues to report.

My only complaint is that the stock Bontrager front headlight gets too hot when it is switched on.

You would be better off with the trek 8s. It would be more reliable than the cannondale and imo it’s the better e-bike between the two.

My allant8s has 2500 miles and has been reliable with no issues to report.

My only complaint is that the stock Bontrager front headlight gets too hot when it is switched on.
Glad to hear your bike been bug free. Have you have any problem cell phone holder/app

I've had no problem with the cell phone holder, but for safety (in case I crash, for example) I put an old smartphone in the holder. It connects on wifi when I'm home to upload and download rides, and uses offline maps when I ride. My new cell phone goes in a safer spot.

The Cobi bike app is quirky. It's terrible for route planning. So I plan routes using Komoot and upload them to the app. At the end of the ride, it sends the ride data to Strava. None of this is well documented. If you get a bike with cobi.bike, come here for help. You won't find much online, and the Bosch documentation is close to useless. But it's not a very sophisticated app, so there's not that much to learn. Instead of sophistication, the app is about having a pretty display. All show. No depth.

Glad to hear your bike been bug free. Have you have any problem cell phone holder/app
Yes I have. I broke it twice the same way. My phone hasn’t flown out but twice I tried to pull it open to take my phone out and I used to much force and snapped the springs broken.

I was able to source replacements both times for 30€.

Yes I have. I broke it twice the same way. My phone hasn’t flown out but twice I tried to pull it open to take my phone out and I used to much force and snapped the springs broken.

I was able to source replacements both times for 30€.
Have you had any problems with your bike motor? Or bike?

Back