Help on folding electric bike purchase

Mr_Reality

Looking for an electric folding bicycle to take with me when I travel in the motorhome. Budget is around $2000. Seems like the Blix VIka + and the e-Joe Epik SE have the best reviews but don’t know anything about these brands. Any other recommendations? No local dealers in my area so will be buying online.

Last edited:
When you travel in your motor home, do you go places where there are dealers so you might be able to try bikes while on your travels?

Awesome! Have a good time trying bikes! Plz share what you learn works for you with us here!!

As ebikemom says, nothing beats the hands-on experience of trying the bike out first, not to assume you disqualify other bikes that you could buy online. I have the Ejoe Epik SE; it's powerful enough for shorter rides or as a commuting bike, but the nature of smaller 20'' wheels is you can pedal so many rotations to reach max efficiency. In my mind I picture a circus with a small clown tricycle vs a huge unicycle! Not that bad but you get the idea. If you checked out Court's reviews (filter to get folding bike categories) there are enough detailed specs and videos to get an idea of reliable choices.

There's a new version of Ejoe which is even an improvement over mine. Honestly I've had some issues with their customer service nonresponsiveness, all have been resolved though. The bike is solid, class 2 (PAS with throttle), and 42-50lbs depending on model year.

As ebikemom says, nothing beats the hands-on experience of trying the bike out first, not to assume you disqualify other bikes that you could buy online. I have the Ejoe Epik SE; it's powerful enough for shorter rides or as a commuting bike, but the nature of smaller 20'' wheels is you can pedal so many rotations to reach max efficiency. In my mind I picture a circus with a small clown tricycle vs a huge unicycle! Not that bad but you get the idea. If you checked out Court's reviews (filter to get folding bike categories) there are enough detailed specs and videos to get an idea of reliable choices.

There's a new version of Ejoe which is even an improvement over mine. Honestly I've had some issues with their customer service nonresponsiveness, all have been resolved though. The bike is solid, class 2 (PAS with throttle), and 42-50lbs depending on model year.

Is the issue with pedal rotations really just an issue with all 20inch folding bicycles?

A 20" wheel is 23-25% smaller in circumference than your typical 26" or 700cc wheel. It means the pedals have to spin that much faster if they used the same gear hardware, and they usually do, except for better makes that use smaller gears in back and bigger ones in front. It only matters if you want to go faster and use pedal assist. I put smaller rear gears on my folders, but they're still limited to around 18 mph, plenty fast unless trying to catch up with a road biker.

Skinny 20" tires are also less stable on loose gravel paths found in campsites, but they make for a more compact and lighter bike. A 20" fat tire will fare better, but takes up more storage room. A sturdy platform rack on a motorhome makes travel with bikes easier.

After a tune up, I have had no problems with my Radmini, except for folding it up. I have 500 miles on it so far and it is folded up in the back of my pickup right now, waiting for me to get going on a trip. They have changed the design on the new model so I think the handlebars are easier to undo for folding. I use a screwdriver for a handle and pull and usually say a bad word on the handle bar lever.

Since you're travelling, I would go for an e-bike advertised as being light and made with a solid frame. Indiegogo is a site I explore. "Electric bike" searches are trending there now. I searched "electric bike", and on the launching soon page on Indiegogo and there was some really good looking folding e-bike brand offering big discounts and pre-orders to start off their campaign.

Back