Hello from Fort Collins, CO

zebrajellyfish

Browsing these forums is great. Lot's of amazing folks with amazing feedback, knowledge and ideas!

I have been encouraged by the ebike world. I have found my knees need a break and have test ridden 2 Raleigh, 2 Trek and an Evo ebike. No throttle assisted ebikes in Fort Collins, CO. Online, it seems each time I find an interestingly equipped ebike I find another just as good. I watch the reviews on YouTube and really enjoy these. My price range has become based on "what can I get for $1500-$2k. The ebikes I tested are all Class 1 and as much as they good, am I getting the best bang for my buck?

Retail brick and mortar has lots more overhead. The Trek Verve+ of 2018 can be gotten for $1939 plus tax here but is it a good choice compared to a Rad City or Blix Aveny? Is the rear motor on the Rad, a Direct Drive a better choice? Is the Blix motor a better choice?

The Rad City looks great but so does the Blix Aveny. These are offered delivered within my budget. They have a throttle and have more power than the Class 1 bikes I rode. They seem to be a much better deal than the bikes I tested here in town.

There are many way to look at this. I want an ebike to travel 3-10 miles one way. I want to finish a job tired and hungry (I'm an event photographer) and hop on and not have to pedal much if I choose. Most of my travels will be pleasure and work. Not many significant hills around Fort Collins, so a throttle can be a blast here (so it seems).

The amount of information about motors, cranks, derailleurs, aluminium, steel, disc brakes (hydraulic/mechanical), controller, display, lights is a rabbit hole (so it seems).

The differences of a Bosch 250W centrally located motor (which I tested) and those sold online are massive. Again, a rabbit hole, especially if I dig into the wonderful information listed on this website.

How much digging do I need to get into? $1500-$2k seems entry level.

Are ebikes in this price range a good start to the ebike world?
Will the Rad City or Blix Aveny last a long time?

Heck, Costco has the GenZe for $1500 and if anything goes wrong for as long as I own the Costco bike, I can return it. There isn't another manufacturer that can back their product like Costco.

There's lots to learn and I simply need to find a good choice.

Thanks for listening!

Richard

Got the time?

(Fort Collins was used - probably still - for the WWV time signal and as a kid I used to set my watches by that.)

Welcome to the forum!

I can't help you with your buying choice, but did want to mention that you shouldn't overlook the value of having a good local dealer for service and support. Personally, I'd buy something from the best local dealer I can find.

Be aware also that e-bikes (and bikes in general) are high targets for theft. If you leave your bike unattended at an "event", it better be well locked up and anything removable should be removed.

Good luck with your search for the right bike.

Browsing these forums is great. Lot's of amazing folks with amazing feedback, knowledge and ideas!

I have been encouraged by the ebike world. I have found my knees need a break and have test ridden 2 Raleigh, 2 Trek and an Evo ebike. No throttle assisted ebikes in Fort Collins, CO. Online, it seems each time I find an interestingly equipped ebike I find another just as good. I watch the reviews on YouTube and really enjoy these. My price range has become based on "what can I get for $1500-$2k. The ebikes I tested are all Class 1 and as much as they good, am I getting the best bang for my buck?

Retail brick and mortar has lots more overhead. The Trek Verve+ of 2018 can be gotten for $1939 plus tax here but is it a good choice compared to a Rad City or Blix Aveny? Is the rear motor on the Rad, a Direct Drive a better choice? Is the Blix motor a better choice?

The Rad City looks great but so does the Blix Aveny. These are offered delivered within my budget. They have a throttle and have more power than the Class 1 bikes I rode. They seem to be a much better deal than the bikes I tested here in town.

There are many way to look at this. I want an ebike to travel 3-10 miles one way. I want to finish a job tired and hungry (I'm an event photographer) and hop on and not have to pedal much if I choose. Most of my travels will be pleasure and work. Not many significant hills around Fort Collins, so a throttle can be a blast here (so it seems).

The amount of information about motors, cranks, derailleurs, aluminium, steel, disc brakes (hydraulic/mechanical), controller, display, lights is a rabbit hole (so it seems).

The differences of a Bosch 250W centrally located motor (which I tested) and those sold online are massive. Again, a rabbit hole, especially if I dig into the wonderful information listed on this website.

How much digging do I need to get into? $1500-$2k seems entry level.

Are ebikes in this price range a good start to the ebike world?
Will the Rad City or Blix Aveny last a long time?

Heck, Costco has the GenZe for $1500 and if anything goes wrong for as long as I own the Costco bike, I can return it. There isn't another manufacturer that can back their product like Costco.

There's lots to learn and I simply need to find a good choice.

Thanks for listening!

Richard
Hello Richard,

My best friend and former business associate lives in Fort Collins and it is absolutely beautiful there and I would love to ride my E bike in the future in that area . My wife and I are in our 50s and we looked at E bikes for at least three months . We live about 30 miles south east of Seattle toward Mount Rainier . We spent a couple of hours test riding the various Rad bikes at their facility near Seattle a couple of times. They definitely put a smile on your face and I will always be a big supporter of their bikes because of the price point and features .

That being said we ultimately purchased a his and hers Trek Verve+. A step through for my wife and traditional for myself . We wanted to work with and ride a bike that is known for quality and reliability and has a vast network of shops and assistance available. Our local shop was extremely helpful and not pushy and I learned so much about E bikes and they let us take an extensive hour long test ride. We managed to get a couple of 2019 models at a discounted price and paid about 2K for each.

Again so many variables and decisions depending on your riding style and usage and terrain,etc. Here is why we chose the Verve other than what I stated above. WEIGHT. This bike comes in at around 44 pounds and that is a big deal for us . We both have health issues and arthritic conditions and needed a bike we could lift into the back of our van or onto a bike rack without too much strain. We also wanted a class 1 because of so much uncertainty regarding where are you can ride. I realize legislation passed where class two is allowed everywhere regular bikes are. Just my opinion but we did not want a throttle assist . I accidentally hit the throttle on a test ride and nearly threw me off of the bike but was my own fault. We wanted as much of a traditional bike as possible and to have the motor give us an assist when necessary and not become reliant on throttle. Also wanted a mid drive for balance and stability and much easier to change a flat without a hub mounted. Our riding is almost all paved surfaces with an occasional hard packed trail and the verve is perfect for us. The Bosch active line motor is completely silent and my biggest concern was does it have enough boost or power on hills. My neighborhood has several very steep inclines and I was shocked that I was able to pedal up these and I am not in shape and not even use the highest level of assist. We found that on flat surfaces once we get up to speed much of the time we can completely turn off the PAS and pedal on our own and the first couple of rides I have gotten more than 70 miles in range before down to one bar on the battery. So many people from reading the forums rely heavily on the PAS and don’t really utilize the gears. We found the combination of properly shifting the gears and using the right ones for the terrain along with the assist is a flawless and smooth experience. We love the fact that there is no regenerative braking and you can coast very smoothly on this bike and down one particular steep hill I got up to 35 mph which probably was not wise but felt very stable and smooth. The integrated lights run off of the battery and are on all of the time and the front headlight is extremely bright did a night ride and it was like having a car headlight the visibility was amazing. I am not a very good mechanic and I can do minor adjustments but this bike comes with higher end componentry than many of the entry-level bikes and with proper care and respect I believe we will save money over the long haul and not have to continually have components adjusted or replaced. We did not want to continually have to order components in and install ourselves . We added a rear rack to both which was about $40 and a couple of end mounted mirrors for both sides.

Sorry for rambling but we are very excited about these bikes and it is getting us outdoors and on a bike which we had not done in 20 years and it is so good for our heart and lungs and general health. Good luck on your findings and test rides you will be extremely excited once you make a decision and start riding!

Greg

Hello Richard,

My best friend and former business associate lives in Fort Collins and it is absolutely beautiful there and I would love to ride my E bike in the future in that area . My wife and I are in our 50s and we looked at E bikes for at least three months . We live about 30 miles south east of Seattle toward Mount Rainier . We spent a couple of hours test riding the various Rad bikes at their facility near Seattle a couple of times. They definitely put a smile on your face and I will always be a big supporter of their bikes because of the price point and features .

That being said we ultimately purchased a his and hers Trek Verve+. A step through for my wife and traditional for myself . We wanted to work with and ride a bike that is known for quality and reliability and has a vast network of shops and assistance available. Our local shop was extremely helpful and not pushy and I learned so much about E bikes and they let us take an extensive hour long test ride. We managed to get a couple of 2019 models at a discounted price and paid about 2K for each.

Again so many variables and decisions depending on your riding style and usage and terrain,etc. Here is why we chose the Verve other than what I stated above. WEIGHT. This bike comes in at around 44 pounds and that is a big deal for us . We both have health issues and arthritic conditions and needed a bike we could lift into the back of our van or onto a bike rack without too much strain. We also wanted a class 1 because of so much uncertainty regarding where are you can ride. I realize legislation passed where class two is allowed everywhere regular bikes are. Just my opinion but we did not want a throttle assist . I accidentally hit the throttle on a test ride and nearly threw me off of the bike but was my own fault. We wanted as much of a traditional bike as possible and to have the motor give us an assist when necessary and not become reliant on throttle. Also wanted a mid drive for balance and stability and much easier to change a flat without a hub mounted. Our riding is almost all paved surfaces with an occasional hard packed trail and the verve is perfect for us. The Bosch active line motor is completely silent and my biggest concern was does it have enough boost or power on hills. My neighborhood has several very steep inclines and I was shocked that I was able to pedal up these and I am not in shape and not even use the highest level of assist. We found that on flat surfaces once we get up to speed much of the time we can completely turn off the PAS and pedal on our own and the first couple of rides I have gotten more than 70 miles in range before down to one bar on the battery. So many people from reading the forums rely heavily on the PAS and don’t really utilize the gears. We found the combination of properly shifting the gears and using the right ones for the terrain along with the assist is a flawless and smooth experience. We love the fact that there is no regenerative braking and you can coast very smoothly on this bike and down one particular steep hill I got up to 35 mph which probably was not wise but felt very stable and smooth. The integrated lights run off of the battery and are on all of the time and the front headlight is extremely bright did a night ride and it was like having a car headlight the visibility was amazing. I am not a very good mechanic and I can do minor adjustments but this bike comes with higher end componentry than many of the entry-level bikes and with proper care and respect I believe we will save money over the long haul and not have to continually have components adjusted or replaced. We did not want to continually have to order components in and install ourselves . We added a rear rack to both which was about $40 and a couple of end mounted mirrors for both sides.

Sorry for rambling but we are very excited about these bikes and it is getting us outdoors and on a bike which we had not done in 20 years and it is so good for our heart and lungs and general health. Good luck on your findings and test rides you will be extremely excited once you make a decision and start riding!

Greg
Welcome to the forum, Greg (and wife!).

Your reply to Richard makes for a great introduction for yourself. I hope others see it and welcome you as well.

You bring up a point I've been curious about... that is about the difficulty of changing/fixing a flat on a rear hub drive bike. (My own bike is a mid-drive, but I've been drooling about a Stromer ST-5 with hub drive.) I assume you're saying that because of some wiring connection to the rear hub? Or is it something else? I would imagine (hope!) that there was some kind of quick release on the wiring to make this relatively easy, but I don't know.

And did you test ride any bike with hub drive? I didn't, before buying my mid-drive bike. But it's my first bike and I'm already thinking (dreaming) about my next one. Especially after taking a close look at the ST-5 yesterday.

Cheers!

Got the time?

(Fort Collins was used - probably still - for the WWV time signal and as a kid I used to set my watches by that.)

Welcome to the forum!

I can't help you with your buying choice, but did want to mention that you shouldn't overlook the value of having a good local dealer for service and support. Personally, I'd buy something from the best local dealer I can find.

Be aware also that e-bikes (and bikes in general) are high targets for theft. If you leave your bike unattended at an "event", it better be well locked up and anything removable should be removed.

Good luck with your search for the right bike.

Thank you! Great points but I plan on uber security...take the battery and a good lock!

Hello Richard,

Greg

Hi Greg (and wife!),

Thanks for your feedback and input. I liked the Verve+ and there's one on sale at the local Trek store here and I'm tempted. I guess not having ridden the throttle bikes I want to know if I really ned it or not. I honestly don't care about the laws as I wouldn't suspect any law enforcement would be on the lookout for ebike with throttles!

Good point too on the rear tire and access in case anything needs fixing, chaning, etc.

You didn't ramble. It was a great amount of information!

Thanks!
Richard

Welcome to the forum, Greg (and wife!).

Your reply to Richard makes for a great introduction for yourself. I hope others see it and welcome you as well.

You bring up a point I've been curious about... that is about the difficulty of changing/fixing a flat on a rear hub drive bike. (My own bike is a mid-drive, but I've been drooling about a Stromer ST-5 with hub drive.) I assume you're saying that because of some wiring connection to the rear hub? Or is it something else? I would imagine (hope!) that there was some kind of quick release on the wiring to make this relatively easy, but I don't know.

And did you test ride any bike with hub drive? I didn't, before buying my mid-drive bike. But it's my first bike and I'm already thinking (dreaming) about my next one. Especially after taking a close look at the ST-5 yesterday.

Cheers!

I do not know all of the particulars of a hub mounted motor but just looking at other forums there were a lot of frustrations in repairing a flat. Some tried to use a patch kit to get it home but ultimately if you have to replace the tire it is definitely a more difficult process to remove the wheel. With the obvious heavier weights of the E bikes flat tires from what I have read are very common and I just did not want that hassle. So many people are tempted with the 750 W motor and I get it, especially with some bikes near 70 pounds, but I wanted a more natural and intuitive feel and not have the bike control me if that makes sense. Trust me it was fun to twist the throttle and get instant acceleration but defeated the purpose of what I was looking for and not for me .

Hi Greg (and wife!),

Thanks for your feedback and input. I liked the Verve+ and there's one on sale at the local Trek store here and I'm tempted. I guess not having ridden the throttle bikes I want to know if I really ned it or not. I honestly don't care about the laws as I wouldn't suspect any law enforcement would be on the lookout for ebike with throttles!

Good point too on the rear tire and access in case anything needs fixing, chaning, etc.

You didn't ramble. It was a great amount of information!

Thanks!
Richard

Don’t get me wrong the throttle is fun but I have a motorcycle and that takes care of that desire ! Here is my Verve

Attachments

• 17F723CC-A60D-4752-A51F-4403B3310690.jpeg
    17F723CC-A60D-4752-A51F-4403B3310690.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 392
...Not many significant hills around Fort Collins, so a throttle can be a blast here (so it seems).
Oh Richard, there are lots of great hills around town. For a real challenge try the Horsetooth Dam Road, Bingham Hill, or ride to Masonville. A bit further south is the Carter Lake climb, Carter Valley, and if you're really feeling frisky the Pinewood climb. But as steep as these may be, I feel a throttle takes out the enjoyment and challenge. I'm 72 and can do most all of them in boost level 3. I've yet to find one where I need the full level 4 Turbo.

I do enjoy the fantastic trail system through Ft Collins and Loveland. You can get in 30-40 miles without duplicating a section.

Dave
Loveland, CO

Hello Richard,

Greg
I'm so glad you posted this - the Verve+ is in the running for me, too, but, not having had the chance to ride or yet, I was concerned about reviews saying it's not the best for hills. I live on Whidbey Island, and it's pretty hilly. Glad to hear you're happy with that capability!

Last edited:
I'm so glad you posted this - the Verve+ is in the running for me, too, but, not having had the chance to ride or yet, I was concerned about reviews saying it's not the best for hills. I live on Whidbey Island, and it's pretty hilly. Glad to hear you're happy with that capability!

Whidbey Island would be amazing riding and next spring or summer I want to hop on the ferry in Anacortes and ride through the San Juan Islands. Hopefully you will get a chance to at least test the Verve I think you will be very impressed and surprised at the amount of boost for a smaller motor. If you ever venture south of Seattle you are more than welcome to try ours.

I do not know all of the particulars of a hub mounted motor but just looking at other forums there were a lot of frustrations in repairing a flat. Some tried to use a patch kit to get it home but ultimately if you have to replace the tire it is definitely a more difficult process to remove the wheel. With the obvious heavier weights of the E bikes flat tires from what I have read are very common and I just did not want that hassle. So many people are tempted with the 750 W motor and I get it, especially with some bikes near 70 pounds, but I wanted a more natural and intuitive feel and not have the bike control me if that makes sense. Trust me it was fun to twist the throttle and get instant acceleration but defeated the purpose of what I was looking for and not for me .

Thanks Greg! I totally understand and get it and here's an interesting twist. I called around again and checked on a store called Scheels that had the 2018 model Trek Verve + over $250 less than the original price. But that was still a bit more than what I found it for at a local Trek store. I mentioned to the woman at Scheels that I found it for less and she said "we can match the price." Then I was encouraged to apply for the Scheels Visa credit card, which I did and got the card! With this purchase I get $66 in gift cards plus an extra $15 in gift card for using the card elsewhere, plus an extra $10 off because a manager liked me and, an extra $50 off on my very first purchase! I also have 6 months to pay with no interest.

This was a very fun and crazy experience. I also learned that Shields does a Satisfaction Guarantee similar to what Costco does. In other words they don't have a return policy. If at any time someone doesn't like what they purchase they can bring it back.

So I guess I'll next be reporting on my experience with this new bike!

Congratulations!! Sounds like you got a few perks which is always nice . Just like anything in life no bike is perfect but I think you will get many many years of reliable enjoyment. Sure you could have paid a few hundred dollars less for a DIY bike online, but I firmly believe over many years you will spend a lot less with the reliability of the components and a well-known brand that has been producing E bikes longer than most. The only thing I may upgrade in the future down the road would be a front shock but for the majority of the riding I do it is not necessary but if you get on some rough roadway or a dirt path it can be a bit jarring but the pay off and the benefits outweigh that. I never had a bike with mirrors and they are a huge help and safety feature I would feel comfortable riding my bike almost anywhere. Look forward to hearing your thoughts after a few rides !

Congratulations!! Sounds like you got a few perks which is always nice . Just like anything in life no bike is perfect but I think you will get many many years of reliable enjoyment. Sure you could have paid a few hundred dollars less for a DIY bike online, but I firmly believe over many years you will spend a lot less with the reliability of the components and a well-known brand that has been producing E bikes longer than most. The only thing I may upgrade in the future down the road would be a front shock but for the majority of the riding I do it is not necessary but if you get on some rough roadway or a dirt path it can be a bit jarring but the pay off and the benefits outweigh that. I never had a bike with mirrors and they are a huge help and safety feature I would feel comfortable riding my bike almost anywhere. Look forward to hearing your thoughts after a few rides !

Thanks Greg. Yes I'll keep you/this tread posted!

Oh Richard, there are lots of great hills around town. For a real challenge try the Horsetooth Dam Road, Bingham Hill, or ride to Masonville. A bit further south is the Carter Lake climb, Carter Valley, and if you're really feeling frisky the Pinewood climb. But as steep as these may be, I feel a throttle takes out the enjoyment and challenge. I'm 72 and can do most all of them in boost level 3. I've yet to find one where I need the full level 4 Turbo.

I do enjoy the fantastic trail system through Ft Collins and Loveland. You can get in 30-40 miles without duplicating a section.

Dave
Loveland, CO

Hi Dave, thanks for your input. I most likely will keep things simple but seeing how it can perform around areas like Horsetooth and Bingham hill could be fun. This is more a means to commute and get to jobs when I can. I will take it out for pleasure mostly too and the trails. Thanks again, Richard

Back