Hello from Everywhere! Friends and Visits?

mr. gibbons;
a trike IMO is the perfect bike for an ebike conversion (front wheel drive).
there are alot of kits out there... i guess the prob will be in deciding how fast you want to go !!!
take care !
bpong

Hello
In the UK an E-bike is not supposed to travel any faster than 15/16 Miles per hour. Which relates to an e-bike motor not being any more powerful than 250 Watts. Faster than the 15/16 Miles per hour on the roads is regarded as being the same as being a 'Moped', that needs a License to ride. The same as a Motor Bike does.
I converted my 30+ year old Raleigh Mountain Bike into a E-Bike with the 250 Watt Motor fitted to the front wheel as the picture shows. The purpose was to make the Raleigh Mountain Bike more efficient and easier to ride.
The price of the cheapest E-Bike in the UK, is three times the price of my E-Bike that I converted from my 30+ year old Mountain Bike.
I have added more pics of my Mountain Bike I converted to be an E-bike to give a better perspective of what the Bike looks like now.
The way my (Raleigh) E-Bike works is that whether I use the Throttle, or Battery power by 'pedaling' the Bike, the Motor 'cut's out' (temporarily) when it reaches speeds of 15/16 MPH, and the Bike returns to it's former mode of transport by pedaling with the Bikes Gears.
Hence the:

Voilamart 26" 250W motor​

And an

X-go 36V 10Ah 250W Electric Bicycle E-bike Bottle Lithium Battery​

converts my MTB into the E-Bike as well.

250 Watts motor and

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 230
  • E-Bike 012.JPG
    E-Bike 012.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 246
  • E-Bike 010.JPG
    E-Bike 010.JPG
    959.9 KB · Views: 240
  • E-Bike 008.JPG
    E-Bike 008.JPG
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
I have noticed there are Advertisements of riders on an E-bike traveling at 'fast' speeds on their E-Bike. That is ok and possible in the States. But in the UK the Law does not permit that kind of speed on an E-Bike. That is not mentioned.
As a matter of interest, the UK Law regarding E-Bike speeds is the EU Law. Whether the UK E-Bike remains the same, now that the UK is not a part of the EU, remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Hello Folks. I live in Roswell, NM. 👽 In a previous life I was an obsessive amateur road cyclist and once logged 9,000 miles over a 45 week period, but those days are over a decade and 100 pounds ago. I am currently in the research phase of purchasing my first e-bike that would serve primarily for a short commute, errands, and a bit of recreational riding. After doing some scouring, I'm leaning toward the Ride 1 Up Cafe Cruiser as it seems to offer the closest to what I'm looking for a price point at which I'd be comfortable. Apparently this is a fairly new model from a fairly new but (from what I gather) pretty respectable company. If anyone has suggestions for what they think might be a comparable (or better) bike for the money, I'd be happy to check them out before pulling the trigger.

Just from the pictures and specs it appears to be typical of most cruisers. The price point is a bit low. Do some Research with Utah trikes, but stay away from Electric Bike Technologies. Their quality is A1 but their prices are a bit higher than most so I'm told. I'm just down the road from you in West Phoenix. I ride an Eco-Delta powered by a Bafang mid-drive.

Hi everyone! Just arriving at this forum in Roanoke, Virginia. Really enjoyed lurking and researching here, and looking to purchase our family's first electric bike (and eventually two more) after years of curiosity! I will post in the buying advice thread!

Hi all!
Been riding an awesome Trek Domane+ for 9 months now, with 350W Bosch motor and 28mph top speed. Purchased right before my diagnosis of severe, bone-on-bone, osteoarthritis of the left hip.
Electric bikes are great for getting out to ride a lot without over stressing the arthritic joint. Love everything about the bike except for significant front end shimmy, worst of any bike I've ever had. Starts at 16mph when coasting downhill hands free, and gets worse at higher speeds. Looking for inputs from other with similar experience?

Sounds like you need a visit to your local bike shop and go slower than 16 mph until you do. I'm satisfied with 10 to 12 mph. I have osteoarthritis of the lumbar spine. Secondly, the shimmy could be due to a bearing being out of round.

Sounds like you need a visit to your local bike shop and go slower than 16 mph until you do. I'm satisfied with 10 to 12 mph. I have osteoarthritis of the lumbar spine. Secondly, the shimmy could be due to a bearing being out of round.
I can stop the shimmy with a knee pressed against the top tube, or by sitting on the top tube. And it's just riding with no hands that it happens. I was wondering if it could be something in the headset, like you suggest. I've asked about it at the shop, with no luck. So now I'm here! Not meaning to be a malcontent, I love Trek bikes, been on them since their first carbon-fiber/aluminum-bonded frame Trek 2500, back in 1988. Thanks!

Last edited:
I can stop the shimmy with a knee pressed against the top tube, or by sitting on the top tube. And it's just riding with no hands that it happens. I was wondering if it could be something in the headset, like you suggest. I've asked about it at the shop, with no luck. So now I'm here! Not meaning to be a malcontent, I love Trek bikes, been on them since their first carbon-fiber/aluminum-bonded frame Trek 2500, back in 1988. Thanks!
I'd definitely check the headset / stem and see that the stem cap it torqued correctly. Make sure those bearings are well greased whilst at it. Many new bikes seem to be lacking in this area. Lastly, check the front tire for run-out and how it's seated on the rim. Let the air out, break the bead and fill her back up. Faster ya go the more minor imperfections and adjustments matter.

Hi. I decided to join the other day after finding good insights about the bike I was considering for my second eBike. That bike is now being readied for delivery.
  1. Bike I - Trek PowerFly 4 — Delivered March 2022. This bike has enabled me to continue doing one the things I love — riding (predominantly) on the trails and back roads in the woods of New England. I say continue because my knees are pretty much shot, I'm heavier than I should be, and I'm not as young as I used to be. I've done 169 miles of trail riding so far this season and lost 30 lbs. thanks to this bike (and eating better).

Except for the addition of a Rokform Mountain Biking Phone Mount, a Garmin Edge 830 Mountain Bike Bundle, and a set of Bontrager lights, I've done nothing to this bike.

2. Bike II - Trek Allant 9.9s — To be delivered early Sept. 2022. My partner and her friends are hardcore road cyclists and I've decided I'd like to ride with them, too. An eBike is the only way I'll keep up with them (speed and endurance wise) and the PowerFly just isn't the right bike for it. That's where the Allant will come in.

The local/fave bike shop that's delivering the Allant is modding it (a little) for me: 1) Complete delete on the Trek-supplied front and rear fenders; 2) Removing the Bosch phone holder and adding a Bosch Kiox head unit & remote instead; 3) and Replacing the factory seat post with a Thudbuster ST 31.6mm suspension seat post. I'll be adding a Garmin Varia RTL515 myself.

Then I'll add compatible handle bar mounts for my phone and Garmin Edge, so I'll have easy/quick installation for the electronics no matter which bike I choose to ride.

Luckily for me, my better half also enjoys the trails, has a second/proper bike for it, and frequently rides with me in the woods. Now I can do both — just as she does.

Glad to be here and looking forward to learning more and contributing where I can.

Back