Hello from Everywhere! Friends and Visits?

thanks for creating this forum....after much research, just purchased ecotric seagull ebike...being delivered in two days. read many comments here...cant wait to get mine assembled and on the road here in NY,,,heading straight to the Ecotric forum right now....again

thanks for creating this forum....after much research, just purchased ecotric seagull ebike...being delivered in two days. read many comments here...cant wait to get mine assembled and on the road here in NY,,,heading straight to the Ecotric forum right now....again
Congrats on the Seagull! I love mine. Be sure to order backup fuses for the battery. If they have none, I can tell you where to get them. Also, the tires on the bikes are not very tough. They will pop on thorns. I bought Schwalbe Big Bens for mine. $45.00 a piece. These are near bulletproof. Very tough tire and comfortable to ride. No more flats. There are many changes you can make on this bike, like the seat and others. I'm an old guy so I needed more comfort. I turned mine into a cruiser. See ya on the Ecotric pages.

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_112501.jpg
    IMG_20210511_112501.jpg
    751.3 KB · Views: 232
Hello from the Front Range of Colorado. I have been actively riding bikes for 20+ years, and I own 4: my original GT hardtail now turned into a commuter (nicknamed Frankenbike by a friend); steel hardtail and full suspension mountain bikes; and a carbon fiber road bike. I am primarily interested in an ebike that will get me out of the car more often, for my 4 mile (each way) commute to work and some targeted errands around town. Also, my teenage children are about the same height as me (I am short 5'4") so I figure they could also bike a mile to school occasionally.

I am looking at budget bikes, so I am intentionally limiting myself, but I am somewhat disappointed at the offerings for short folk. I am not interested in a step thru - that top tube is there for a structural reason, otherwise roadies would have eliminated that weight a long time ago. Plus, I like the look of a traditional triangle on a bike. Leaning towards the Charge City as it seems to be a good commuter, at a lighter weight 45 lbs, and Class 2 so I can take it most places I want. I test rode an Aventon Pace 500 and while 28 MPH was fun it also seems dangerous and limited to roads where I live, and we have a good infrastructure of multi-use bike paths snaking through town (Longmont). For sure, I wouldn't want my 13 year old son on a bike that can do 28 MPH easily.

Anyways I have lots of experience with bikes, changing out parts, mechanical fixes etc. so hopefully I can contribute positively to the board. Cheers

ive heard the fuses are nearly impossible to find.....id love to find a supplier just to keep one or two

Congrats on the Seagull! I love mine. Be sure to order backup fuses for the battery. If they have none, I can tell you where to get them. Also, the tires on the bikes are not very tough. They will pop on thorns. I bought Schwalbe Big Bens for mine. $45.00 a piece. These are near bulletproof. Very tough tire and comfortable to ride. No more flats. There are many changes you can make on this bike, like the seat and others. I'm an old guy so I needed more comfort. I turned mine into a cruiser. See ya on the Ecotric pages.
id love to know where to buy the fuses. heard they are hard to find

i bought the black one, but your setup looks great....already bought new seat....based on others recommendation....hoping install is easy and no problems

The setup is easy. The back wheel is already on. Just add the front wheel, seat post, and handlebars, charge battery, air up tires and go ride! Be warned, those stock tires will leave you stranded and these are not easy to ride without power. Order some Schwalbe Big Ben Plus 26". I would not go far until you get them on there. I had 3 flats in 30 days on the stock tires.

Hey Court, I'm in Burnaby BC, right beside Vancouver and I even recognize some local streets from your reviews. Would love to go for a ride sometime. I have a Creo, but have been riding my regular bikes most of the time these days because of improved fitness and weight loss. But I still love this forum just the same.

A ride and coffee would be great! Drop me a message if you ever want to meet up.

The setup is easy. The back wheel is already on. Just add the front wheel, seat post, and handlebars, charge battery, air up tires and go ride! Be warned, those stock tires will leave you stranded and these are not easy to ride without power. Order some Schwalbe Big Ben Plus 26". I would not go far until you get them on there. I had 3 flats in 30 days on the stock tires.
thanks. im going to order a pair

i bought the black one, but your setup looks great....already bought new seat....based on others recommendation....hoping install is easy and no problems
i see this ceramic fuse was discontinued...replaced by similar glass fuse?

Hello from the Kootenays (Cranbrook, BC.) My wife and I just bought two e-bikes and are looking forward to using them as soon as the heat wave stops. I have a Trek Domane + ALR and she purchased a Electra Townie. We are having fun looking at them.

@Court I think Trek should pay you royalties! It was your review of their Allant+7 that sold us on it. You're so well spoken with super communication skills, and obviously have a passion for all things eBike. Didn't realize this was your web domain until posting my first message. Now that I've connected the dots it's nice to be part of the eBike community and EBR. Honestly expected to be riding an EV moto before an eBike but as things worked out eBike it is. Just ramping up and enjoying the forums so far. Thank you!

Monty

That's awesome @folmonty! Thanks for the kind words, and encouragement. Trek has been doing a great job with ebikes for a while now, perhaps the biggest drawback lately is that they seem to be sold out at many shops. Hope you enjoy riding, I'd love to hear how it holds up and any updates or feedback as the months and years go by. The Bosch stuff seems to last well ;)

That's awesome @folmonty! Thanks for the kind words, and encouragement. Trek has been doing a great job with ebikes for a while now, perhaps the biggest drawback lately is that they seem to be sold out at many shops. Hope you enjoy riding, I'd love to hear how it holds up and any updates or feedback as the months and years go by. The Bosch stuff seems to last well ;)
Hi Court, my first upgrade to my ebike, was to get the topeak rack, and trunk bag, in that same video

Before the official intro I just wanted to say if anyone lives in SoCal, NorCal, Vancouver, South Florida, Colorado, Austin or another area with lots of ebikes and wants to go for a ride, grab lunch or even has a couch to crash on... sound off! I've met some great people here in the past and enjoyed visiting and experiencing new locations with a local friend. Comment or message me!

Hey guys and gals, this is Court Rye! I created EBR in 2013 to help people understand and better choose electric bicycles for their lifestyle and budget. My own first purchase was confusing, expensive and frustrating... I bought online and felt like I spent too much when the bike actually arrived. I had never assembled an ebike before and wasn't sure if I'd be able to get help from a regular shop if I messed something up or it broke and I wasn't sure if anyone would ever want to buy it used someday if I decided to upgrade or just move on. It was a tense day and I felt very alone, there were very few resources at the time but one that I relied on a lot was ElectricBikeReport.com run by my now-friend Pete Prebus!

Given how awesome this technology can be (health, community, and affordability wise) I was inspired to start reviewing bikes in my free time outside of work. I bought the domain electricbikereview.com for $1,500 and launched a WordPress site before eventually launching this forum so people could help each other. These days I'm so busy traveling and being "everywhere" trying to review the latest tech that I'm not on the forum as much as I'd like but our staff of @Angela M., @mitchhackleman, and @troehrkasse are here for you and they are great! I'm always open to more help so feel free to message me here or contact me directly if you'd like to join in. I believe in transparency and objectivity and do my best to disclose advertising relationships and moderator relationships etc. but still speak critically when need be. Please do the same, tell the truth and help people or at least use tact if you're on the attack :)

Just below is a video I shot before jumping into EBR full time. I was working for a tech startup in Austin, TX and using ebikes to commute to work... the bike in the video is an Easy Motion Neo Jumper and was my third electric bike! I finally felt like I had found one that worked great for me and was excited to share the experience with the world.

As always, thanks for being involved here. Your comments, helping each other and feedback to me make this place special and it means a lot. As always, ride safe! Here are a few pics of me doing reviews, this is how the magic happens baby XD

View attachment 7398View attachment 7401View attachment 7404View attachment 7407View attachment 7410View attachment 7413View attachment 7416View attachment 7419View attachment 7422

Update! In March of 2018, EBR and me were featured in an article on Bicycle Retailer and Industry News (BRAIN) magazine. It was an honor, but they were not able to fit in everything and I wanted to thank Ann M, Darlington, Tara, Brent, and Jeremy who have all helped in various ways to make this site and community possible, I love them and also appreciate everyone here who has contributed to this positive and useful space. I got permission to share the story here, and it's embedded as an image below along with some additional images I shared but that were not used (the last one is my Grandfather, who also loved riding bikes):

View attachment 20450View attachment 20458View attachment 20456View attachment 20451View attachment 20455
View attachment 20453View attachment 20452View attachment 20454View attachment 20457

A news station recently did a story on the history of EBR and they interviewed me. I got the full footage and posted it because it covers lots of topics, like how to pick an ebike and why they're awesome :D here's the video:

This is great. I will let you know!

Back