Hello from Colorado

Greetings from Boulder County, Colorado. My name is Mark, and I'm an engineer and blogger. I've been commuting 2-3 days per-week for the past six years, but am hoping to bump that up to 5 days per-week with my new IZIP E3 Peak+. My wife rides a Haibike 27.5+ hardtail, and she loves how it allows her to keep up with faster/fitter riders.

Here's a teaser shot of the IZIP:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
Here's Da Beast with the front rack and fenders that I added:

Very nice!
My experience of riding that bike was slightly different. The rake angle is so much that it felt different compared to the other bikes they had.
Do you sense that the headtube angle and rake angle is too much?

Of course, it's going to have a different feel, a little more relaxed and stable in some riding conditions with this configuration. A little more like a touring bike which makes sense with the front rack setup. Different designs work for different riders; one is not better or worse than the other- it depends upon the use and needs of the rider. Very nice setup @The Front Ranger :)

@Ravi Kempaiah I find the geometry to be very neutral. Riding the E3 Peak+ no-handed is a breeze (as long the panniers are loaded equally. I switch back-and-forth with a Jeff Jones 29er (pictured below), and have very little difficulty adjusting to the bikes' geometry.

JJ_diamond_truss-min-624x624.jpg

@Ravi Kempaiah I find the geometry to be very neutral. Riding the E3 Peak+ no-handed is a breeze (as long the panniers are loaded equally. I switch back-and-forth with a Jeff Jones 29er (pictured below), and have very little difficulty adjusting to the bikes' geometry.

JJ_diamond_truss-min-624x624.jpg

That's a great looking bike.
FYI: I was told that the production model of the Peak+ had some changes compared to the Interbike model.

Here's Da Beast with the front rack and fenders that I added:

How is the Thule rack working? I'm seriously tempted to pick one up and would like to hear how easy it is to use and how sturdy it is. Is it a good fit on the front forks? Also, those pedals look nice and wide platforms, did you as them? What brand/type are they?

The Thule rack has definitely exceeded my expectations. One of the guys I ride with has one, and he is always fidgeting with it. I'm pretty sure it's because he didn't tighten the (ratcheting) straps enough. Thule recommends 15Nm and that's way more torque than most people realize. Anyway, it's been rock solid and fits like a dream. One thing to note, however, is that it doesn't have clearance for really wide tires. I swapped out the IZIP's stock 2.8" knobbies for 2.35" street tires, and I have approx 3/8" clearance on each side.

Those pedals are Catalysts from Pedaling Innovations. They're huge, but offer lots of support. I only have a few rides on them, but between the size of the platform and the pins, my feet do not slip whatsoever. We'll see how that hold up to snow, etc.

Thanks for the info on the Catalyst pedals Front Ranger. Some of my taller, bigger riders or folks who want to ride with heavier street shoes ask about different pedals. These should provide better support since they're both longer and wider than the typical pedal and come in several cool colors. Reasonably priced too, under $100.

Catalyst pedals.jpg

@Ann M. Also consider the VP Harrier. While they're not as long as the Catalysts, they're very wide (and VP actually manufactures the Catalyst). I'm also a fan of the Spank Oozy trail pedal. I have them on my Jeff Jones, and with 5.10 shoes, there's tons of traction.

Back