Hello, and My Search

TeacapanKip

Region
USA
Hello from Tacoma Washington USA
I've reached the age of 72 in a life where I've tried to destroy my knees and hips the entire life. So, I'm selling all my road and cycle-cross bikes and purchasing a step-through or low-step ebike. I'm only interested in Mid-Drive Bosch systems, and I've narrowed this quest down to a Gazelle Ulitmate 380+, a similar Gazelle but a step-through instead of a low-step, or a Cube Kathamandu.
I could appreciate any personal histories with any of these choices. For a time I had an interest in a R&M Nevo but the $10,000 price and mid-June 2022 delivery turns me off
Thank You.

Hi there ! I'm not really an experienced cyclist to tell what choice is best for you, although both brands are well established and reputed, but since November, I'm a very happy owner of the Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625(M.Y. 2022, size Large, the model with 11-speed derailleur ). I'm impressed with the build quality of the bike - no rattling sounds over rough terrain, it's like a piece of metal - and I appreciate the large capacity of the battery. So far, the bike has 360km (225 miles) on the clock, which have been traveled in my daily commute to work (aprox.13 miles every day on asphalt paved route). Most of the time, I'm using the "Eco" powered-assistance level, never the "Sport" and "Turbo" modes, and I charge the battery every fourth day (usually when 1 out of 5 bars is left on the display). At approx. 57 pounds, it is a heavy bicycle but the drive unit is very capable.
I still have a lot of things to learn, but I think the Kathmandu is a very good bicycle at a fair price !

Hi there ! I'm not really an experienced cyclist to tell what choice is best for you, although both brands are well established and reputed, but since November, I'm a very happy owner of the Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625(M.Y. 2022, size Large, the model with 11-speed derailleur ). I'm impressed with the build quality of the bike - no rattling sounds over rough terrain, it's like a piece of metal - and I appreciate the large capacity of the battery. So far, the bike has 360km (225 miles) on the clock, which have been traveled in my daily commute to work (aprox.13 miles every day on asphalt paved route). Most of the time, I'm using the "Eco" powered-assistance level, never the "Sport" and "Turbo" modes, and I charge the battery every fourth day (usually when 1 out of 5 bars is left on the display). At approx. 57 pounds, it is a heavy bicycle but the drive unit is very capable.
I still have a lot of things to learn, but I think the Kathmandu is a very good bicycle at a fair price !
Is yours the mid-step? Or low-step? I still have this very slight inkling that a low-step looks girlish if I show up for a group ride with my fellow geezers. :)

Hi I'm Maurice, from Somerset UK. Thanks for letting me join this group.
I'm 72 and have been cycling socially for some years, but have found that age and worn out joints have increasingly hindered my riding. The number of members in our group riding E bikes has gradually grown, and I have joined them by purchasing a Specialized Vado Sl4. It's a brilliant bike, and I have also purchased the range extender for peace of mind.
It has one Achilles heel,.., the front headlight mount. It's weak and flimsy, and I succeeded in breaking it when loading the bike on to my car rack. Is there a more robust metal alternative out there?
I discovered this site whilst searching on Google, and I think other members have resolved the problem.
Any suggestions would be great fully received.
Many thanks
Maurice Pyman

Hi Maurice!

All what it takes is to find a good metal GoPro mount for the standard 31.8 mm handlebars. The Vado SL 4.0 front light is GoPro compatible!

See how I did it myself:
1639293795147.png

Mine is the standard frame. I think the "low step" or Easy Entry model as Cube calls it, is a very modern design and very practical, especially if you don't plan to hang frame bags there for long trips and the "Trapeze" frame is the one designed for women. At the time I ordered the bike (end of August), I was informed by my local bike shop that they had pre-ordered standard frames with the Bosch CX drive unit and only a few with easy entry and Gen 3 drive unit, so I didn't have the chance to get one with the easy entry design. As fooferdoggie says, it very important to test ride them, because Cube's frame sizes are rather big, mine is "Large 58cm", I'm 6.1 feet tall and I reach the ground on my tiptoes.
What is also important, is to decide what level of equipment your bike would like to have. For example, Cube offers the Kathmandu models at EXC and PPO specs levels, the first come with 12 speed derailleur and better brakes set (4-piston calipers) while PRO models come equipped with 11 speed derailleur and 2-piston brake calipers. For my needs and my daily commuting routine in the city 11 speeds are doing the job pretty well, but as a heavy guy, sometimes, I wish had the upgraded brakes

Back