Has anyone thought about riding The Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap on an E-bike? It would be an eleven mile sprint!

pawtoki

I would image the NW end and going down Hill(s) toe SE end would be the best direction to go. I'd like to do it.

Have you ever done the Dragon in/on any other vehicle? Going downhill would be the only way to do it on a bike. It is a dangerous stretch of highway any way you go. I imagine the biggest problem would be the very real possibility of creating a traffic jam that, if nothing else, would really piss people off and might be hazardous. You won't be able to hug the shoulder through left curves without slowing way down and if you're out in the road as someone comes up behind you someone could easily get hurt. There are often A LOT of fast moving motorcycles and sports cars on the road. Slower vehicles are expected to pull over at the first possible chance and let everyone behind them pass.

Where are you going to go when you get to the bottom? Riding a bike back up would be really rude.

I've been up and down the Dragon both ways many times but I honestly don't recall ever seeing a bicycle on the road.

From a safety and sanity perspective, I don't think it's a great place to ride a bike, e or otherwise. Don't take my word for it. TOTD .

TT

Last edited:
The Dragon in summer is clogged with performance cars and bikers trying to do the 318 turns in 11 miles. I've been there a few times from Chicago with my car club on a long weekend jaunt. It's a bit too intense for me. I'd almost get sick from the hairpins. Every turn is blind. Hard core roadies might dissent, but I think bicycles don't belong there at all. Just causes trouble for all the motorheads.

Take the ebike to Cades cove?. You can pass all the cars bumper-to-bumper on weekends.

That country is really something though. Cherohola skyway. Blue ridge parkway.

Tail of the Dragon on an e-bike? Not me!

I agree, it's fun for a while, but all those turns get old.....

Last edited:
I'd convince my wife to follow me. My cars collision avoidance system would keep her 40 feet behind me. You run it just like you would any road. Wear bright yellow safety vest & "Own your lane!" I could average 15 miles an hour for eleven miles even with 318 wonderful cut backs. That would be faster than an RV & I've passed them on that road riding an Ultra!

Pardon me, I touch jump to new on @pawtoki ' s tread.
Where is this place? I wanna Google map it.
If it looks anything like a dragons tail.
Mythical dragons with tails are of European kind. Fire breathing types.
Chinese Dragons resemble more like the Great Wall of China. When viewed from the sky.
On another forum I, watched a couple ride motorbikes on the wall top, or the dragon's back.
If you Google it you will find some good videos of it.

It is Hwy 129 in Swain County, North Carolina. Right at the Tennessee boarder. 318 turns in eleven miles.

I've never been to the Tail, and I've ridden rocket bikes most of my life. I've heard stories of the cops issuing tickets, crashes and the tree of shame. I almost went with a co-worker one year. She hyped it up pretty good but then she said "We're riding out....."! What? I was going to trailer my bike. It would have left from Hampton, VA. No way I'm riding that far hunched over the bars like a horse jockey. I passed on the invite.

Although I admire difficult challenges, I fail to see the desire to put oneself in a position where a majority of the dangerous consequences are out of they're control.

I'd convince my wife to follow me. My cars collision avoidance system would keep her 40 feet behind me. You run it just like you would any road. Wear bright yellow safety vest & "Own your lane!" I could average 15 miles an hour for eleven miles even with 318 wonderful cut backs. That would be faster than an RV & I've passed them on that road riding an Ultra!
I guess I'm not wearing my sports car hat much these days, and I won't be behind you, so sure, go for it!

If you’ve ever been down a steep mtn road on an ebike and your brake pads glazed over you won’t do it again. Dragon is way more fun in a car. Plus you can buy a picture hanging in a curve.

Attachments

• E5F6A1B6-31D6-40E2-BBBD-1ED6FC2A10E6.jpeg
    E5F6A1B6-31D6-40E2-BBBD-1ED6FC2A10E6.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 129
If you’ve ever been down a steep mtn road on an ebike and your brake pads glazed over you won’t do it again. Dragon is way more fun in a car. Plus you can buy a picture hanging in a curve.
A car is no challenge, motorcycle was a lot of fun, & I think an ebike would certainly have its challenges & be fun!

A car is no challenge if you ride the brakes LOL. It’s the ultimate challenge at the edge of vehicle capability.

A car is no challenge if you ride the brakes LOL. It’s the ultimate challenge at the edge of vehicle capability.
Not sure I'd go that far. Maybe if you throw in a short time limit. You do pretty much need to be wide awake and paying attention.

TT

Not sure I'd go that far. Maybe if you throw in a short time limit. You do pretty much need to be wide awake and paying attention.

TT
Only if you think staying on the right side of the road might be important......

Back